[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Debt Payoff

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

hi /biz/, if I have $40k in federal loans at ~3% interest, what's the smartest way to pay them back?

>inb4 stupid to take on this kind of debt for college, I agree, it was a mistake
>>
>>1034007

Why pay it back? Wait for hillary to be elected. She will raise my taxes so she can pay off your mistakes,
>>
Get rid of student loans as fast as possible.

Trying to leverage secured loans is unnecessary risk

You could invest it instead, but have fun breaking even for ten years
>>
>>1034007
How much can you spare? 3% interest at 40k is 1200 a year to break "even". If you can spare 2400 dollars a year, you are paying off the interest + another 1.2k
Next year you will pay off the interest + 1200 + the balance. So you will pay the same amount every year, while at the same time paying it of faster than the year before without really feeling it, this will amplify itself as time passes and before you know it you are debt free
>>
>>1034007
1. How did you get student loans are only 3%? Feds are charging 6% for that crap.

2. 3% fixed interest is pretty much the inflation rate. Pay as little as possible, lots of investments will do better than that. Find an ETF with 3+% yield, like VYM. Invest $40k in it, pay your loan off just from the dividends. Plus whatever growth you'll get after this latest market drop.
>>
>>1034007
The only logical reason to pay this back, is that you refinanced for a significantly lower rate, or you need to play some games with a debt-equity ratio to secure a cashflowing asset.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.