[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I go into STEM or should I not?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

File: 1449868218860.png (26KB, 392x418px) Image search: [Google]
1449868218860.png
26KB, 392x418px
My grandma is paying the bill so I'll have no debt. I'm going to Penn State(main campus) and I start in a few days.

I am considering Mechanical or Electrical Engineering. From my research, business majors are extremely saturated but it seems like it would help you more throughout life, or maybe apply to more jobs and be significantly easier. I was even considering a foreign language major like Russian or German, but I can't see how they'd be useful unless you move to the country with native speakers. Maybe I'm getting cold feet because I don't know if I'd even be able to handle it, but I'm also reading from others on here that STEM isn't worth it in general. What does /biz/ think? I really don't know what I'd major in exactly if STEM ended up being a waste of time. I can easily spend this semester taking required electives and such, so it's not like I have to know this minute.
>>
>>1029557
PSU alum here. I did finance and real estate. Don't reccomend. Do Finance and literally anything else like econ or ee or cs.

If you want to be more finance focused on your way out, join the nittany lion fund, but be aware, you will need to have your A game to get in and do well. If you do, wallstreet access is pretty much assured (SAC capital, Goldman sachs, etc). I wish I hadn't taken a year off and actually put effort into the NLF and related activities (I was an analyst for tech there back in 07). My loss is your gain. Don't fuck it up!
>>
>>1029564
Also, I am not sure if this is still possible, but try to ace your first year and apply for the Shreyers school as that will also give you a massive leg up. I know Schreyers kids who did finance and account and work for google and consulting firms as well.
>>
currently in this predicament now. Everyone says everything is shit so its hard to choose what to invest in.
>>
If you want to grind it out and make a lot of money, Wall Street and finance is a good option. If you want a laid back life, then engineering is where you would go. You won't make as much but, you'll work twice as less. Anything cop fin/internal accounting is pretty mind numbing but it's chill. You won't get paid as much as engineering though.
>>
File: 1451259044456.jpg (55KB, 438x583px) Image search: [Google]
1451259044456.jpg
55KB, 438x583px
bumping
>>
Don't go to Penn State. The only famous alums are linebackers and state assemblymen.
>>
>>1030993
My grandma is paying and I really don't have a choice unless I transfer somewhere else.
>>
>>1029557
do medical and get laid like a dog
>>
Whatever you pick, kick ass in it. If you don't think you can handle STEM then don't do it.
>>
>>1029557
Actually talk to different advisors/students of different majors. Don't let 4chan make major life choices for you.
>>
File: 1445373781843.jpg (24KB, 367x358px) Image search: [Google]
1445373781843.jpg
24KB, 367x358px
>>1029557
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGaUCrmPRLk
>>
>>1031535
the logic of this really doesn't make any sense and it seems pretty loaded. his points are just not based in reality
>>
>>1029557
Get a double degree of any business degree and nearly any engineering degree.

You will not only be able to work in either the business area or the engineering side, but, big business loves engineering people, even if they arent doing engineering stuff as the math learned and the difficulty of the engineering subject relative to all the pleb business guys.
>>
>>1031618
double degrees are useless from what I've read.

Business and Engineering degrees don't have much overlap either so it'd be something like an extra two years for the other degree.
>>
Haven't you posted like 15 threads about this in the past 6 months? Make a decision for yourself Jesus Christ
>>
File: asf.jpg (31KB, 400x294px) Image search: [Google]
asf.jpg
31KB, 400x294px
>>1031667
w-what
>>
>>1031468
No one is actually this retarded
>>
>>1031894
You can't back out when it's already paid for.
>>
>>1031653
engineering degrees can lead to finance if you choose it. Just like how physics and computer shit can because of the heavy math content.
>>
>>1029557

Get a degree in mechanical or civil and I may hire you when you graduate.
>>
>>1030201
>twice as less
>half as much
>>
>>1031523
>Actually talk to different advisors/students of different majors.

This is just as retarded as listening to 4chan.
>>
>>1031929
Are you actually an employer?
>>
>>1031618
This is not a bad option, but business skills can be learned on the job while you get paid. Many of the top guys in corporations have engineering backgrounds. The math, analytical, and problem solving skills they have make them good C level execs.

Engineers learn how to learn. You can teach an engineer business, but you can't teach a businessman engineering.

EE or MechE is up to you. Know excel inside and out. Worst comes to worse you can pick an office job as a temp working on excel spreadsheets while you look for something better.
>>
>>1029557
did you make a thread a couple months ago about this?
>>
>>1029557
Mechanical.
>>
>>1031894
Pennsylvania public schools are also expensive as fuck if your not on scholarship or finnancial aid.

Penn State, Pitt and Temple all cost around 30k a year with in state tuition.
>>
T is the only thing worth shit.

I went into technology with friends in SEM and I'm making more money than any of them.
>>
>>1032588
Define the areas of T that you're referring to, anon.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.