Any advice for a new manager?
With out direct reports.
unless you have hundreds of people under you, get to know most of the people that work for you. It helps regular workers know that you aren't a corporate drone that they will never see.
- employees are not your friends, keep most convos work based, polite, and tactical
- deliver more praise than criticism
- never criticise an employee in front of others, always privately
- never attack an employee directly, state why their actions were not right for the situation, and what the proper actions should have been
- always let them percieve you as hard working, the moment employees think you don't work hard, and your job is easy, is the moment things go to shit