[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Patreon

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: patreon-logo.png (20KB, 611x155px) Image search: [Google]
patreon-logo.png
20KB, 611x155px
I was going to start a blog on Patreon, only to discover this when I was reading the fine print:

>Intellectual Property Rights
All text, graphics, editorial content, data, formatting, graphs, designs, HTML, look and feel, photographs, music, sounds, images, software, videos, designs, typefaces and other content (collectively "Proprietary Material") that Users see or read through the Service is owned by Patreon.com, excluding User Generated Content that Patreon.com has the right to use.

...which I interpret to mean is 'we own your work, you work for us, and you only get money if you can find third-parties to pay your salary'.

Any alternatives for ongoing crowdsourcing (as in, not Kickstarter, not one lump sum) that don't have this type of copyright-harvesting policy?
>>
>>1027482

Before you jump to that conclusion I would check their definition of "User Generated Content that Patreon.com has the right to use" because you could fall under that category

As an alternative, many listener-supported podcasts use a regular shopping cart to set up a subscription service for donors. Basically every month their credit card is billed for $5 or whatever.
>>
>>1027493

That is a fair criticism, I was not really sure what User Generated Content meant, and now that I've read through again, I am still not.

https://www.patreon.com/legal

It's the 11th heading as far as I can tell. If you or anyone else can make more sense of it than I can, I'd appreciate it.

I've heard of people doing Paypal tip jar type set-ups, but those never seem terribly profitable... before I go down that route anyway, I'd like to know for certain that Patreon is not an option for me.
>>
My guess is that User Generated Content simply means 'my registration info when I sign up to Patreon'. Can anyone support this definition? It sounds like it's just a serpentine rewording of the usual 'we will not share your personal information with any third party except with your permission' kind of thing.
>>
>>1027503

My interpretation is that it includes your work as well, but this paragraph may be a concenrn:

You hereby grant Patreon.com a non-exclusive, worldwide, perpetual, irrevocable, royalty-free, sublicensable (through multiple tiers) right to exercise all copyright, publicity rights, and any other rights you have in Your Information, in any media now known or not currently known in order to perform and improve upon the Service.

Basically you still own it, but they can do whatever they want with it forever.

Just for the record I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice.
>>
>>1027482

who cares. go get paid brah. patreon isn't going to take your stuff and make money on their own with it. absolutely no idea why that makes you hesitant.
>>
>>1027522

It just strikes a chord with me very deeply to know that someone is trying to parasitize my work. I might do some throwaway for Patreon, but what I really wanted to do, I think I have to look elsewhere, brehbrew.

>>1027511

Yeah, it doesn't sit well with me.

What are my practical alternatives for funding? Any ideas? There must be something better out there than Paypal.
>>
Anyone? Would appreciate any input, even a trollbump.
>>
What would Joseph Campbell do?
>>
>>1027573

He would chat in real-time with his boy
>>
One final attempt. Would appreciate any help with this, it is my attempt at establishing a livelihood for myself.
>>
Patreon seems like agood idea until you realize they want your social security number for tax purposes, and the place got hacked already.

no thanks.

I'd rather setup something else that people can use their credit card or something. how do I do this?
>>
>>1027709

Seriously? Your SSN? What if you're not American?

According to the first responder to the thread, I guess you can set up a kind of e-shop with a renewing subscription. I am not sure how you would get that up and running though.
>>
Hoping the thread makes it through until I wake up.

Anyone on /biz/ actually using Patreon at the moment to offer some insight?
>>
File: hobo.jpg (260KB, 950x1200px) Image search: [Google]
hobo.jpg
260KB, 950x1200px
>unironically wanting to live of alms
>>
>>1027840

It's an honest living, what's your problem with it? Should I not be happy unless I'm wearing a suit and tie and fucking over as many people as I can?
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.