[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Market was sideways for 2015

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

File: Untitled.png (7KB, 476x246px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
7KB, 476x246px
Post Dividends for the year!
>>
Roughly $20k spread between taxable and IRA accounts. Which was not even close to making up my "loses".
>>
>>1027283
Even at a 5% dividend that means 400k. Damn! I wish I has that.
>>
>>1027283
Enough to live off tho.

Gratz, you've reached "don't have to care anymore" status.
>>
>>1027268
I make ~9.2% off of the preferred stock that I own.

I'm a bit surprised that more people aren't into preferred shares all things considered.
>>
>>1027268
How often are dividends paid out?
>>
~1k €

less than 3% bah
>>
>>1027767
Depends on the company. Most are quarterly.
>>
>>1027980
Thank you
>>
>>1027760
Look at a ticker like EXIXF.

Great returns, but when things go shitty the preferred shares are hit the hardest
>>
>>1027268
Also, errody who likes dividends should take a look at GAIN. Hovers between 9-10% return, range bound for the last five years, great balance sheet, paid monthly. Waiting for a pullback to add more myself
>>
Lets see...

401(k) - $930.62
rIRA - $363.66
roIRA - $203.95

One of these days I need to figure out what to do with that Rollover IRA
>>
I have always concentrated on prices but it seems dividend yield is a neglected strategy of mine. What's the game on picking good dividend stocks? I'm guessing you'd pick stocks with low volatility or ones that are ranging for years as safe bets.
>>
File: Sub2k.jpg (297KB, 794x680px) Image search: [Google]
Sub2k.jpg
297KB, 794x680px
$1760.86

It offsets my losses some. Half way through 2015 I swapped EPD for KMI which turned out to be a horrible mistake. KMI imploded from 45$ to 15$ and is currently -6832.50$ in my portfolio. I'm going to continue holding until oil at least bumps and I can sell at not a damn near 70% loss.
>>
>>1028036

The highest yield possible, at the lowest volatility. One way to accomplish this is to pick an arbitrary yield level and look at all the stocks that have that yield.
>>
>>1028018
>EXIXF
Dividends funded with debt
Has to stop eventually
Stock price will crash
>no
>>
>>1027760
I'm not sure how you can even buy preferred, through something like Scottrade or otherwise.

This year I made $52 in dividends. Roughly a 6% return. Not too bad on the paltry amount I have invested.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (155KB, 1042x703px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
155KB, 1042x703px
$300,081.46 between my taxable and non-taxable accounts.
>>
>>1028281
Only 202k in divs.
>>
>>1028391
You're correct, but only to the extent you believe there's a notable difference between dividends, interest, and capital gains on managed investments. To me (and most people, and the IRS), passive income is passive income.
>>
>>1028019
Thanks. At what price are you looking to add more?
>>
>>1028018
>exixf
I don't buy things where the dividend is debt funded. Not to mention the energy aspect.

Preferred stock tends to get hit the same amount as ordinary stock when there's a market crash but preferred stock recovers far faster than common stock during the recovery. Not to mention the aspect of the fixed call price preferred shares have.

>>1028182
You should be able to buy preferred shares just the same as common stock. Depending on the broker, they may list the preferred shares with a notation of "-X", " 'x", "pX", etc.

For example, JPM-A, JPM'A, JPMpA. Not all companies issue preferred stock but they're not too hard to find.
>>
>>1028476
I thought you were exposed as a fraud.
>>
>>1028647
>I thought you were exposed as a fraud.
That would come as a terrible surprise to my accountant.
>>
>>1028476
>To me (and most people, and the IRS), passive income is passive income.
Dividend income is taxed differently, so I don't see how the IRS would see it as the same thing.
>>
>>1028778
>Dividend income is taxed differently
Not really. It all comes down to your holding time. You do understand the difference between qualified and non-qualified dividends, right? And how they have the exact same tax rates as LTCG and STCG, respectively?

If not, I suggest a quick Google search might be in order. Feel free to ask if anything doesn't make sense,
>>
>>1028889
They don't have the same tax rate. It all depends on your income. I'll look it up anyway though cause I'm still studying for the regulation section of my CPA exam.
>>
>>1028899
>They don't have the same tax rate.
>I'm still studying for the regulation section of my CPA exam.
Yikes. For the sake of your future clients, keep studying. :)
>>
File: Untitled.png (16KB, 819x148px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
16KB, 819x148px
>>1028962
This is what I was thinking of.
>>
Planning to buy 80 $T shares for their ~5% annual yield. This should gain me about 1 share per quarter, right? About $120 / year...assuming the stock price remains around $30
>>
>>1029112
>This is what I was thinking of.
So .... exactly what I said two hours ago (>>1028889) and that you said was wrong.

Ok then, apology accepted.
>>
>>1029153
You are odd.
I don't see you mention income tax rates at all.
>>
>>1029163
That's because what I said is that the qualified dividend tax rates and the LTCG rates are exactly the same. At ALL income levels.

And that the non-qualified dividend rates and STCG rates are exactly the same. At ALL income levels.

All of which was in response to your incorrect statement that "[d]ividend income is taxed differently" and "[i]t all depends on your income" -- neither of which is correct in this context. A context you created when you tried to be a smartass and point out that some of my 2015 distributions were capital gains and not dividends, and which I explained to you was a difference without a distinction.

I realize you're an aspiring numbers guy, but a little reading comprehension would serve you well.
>>
>>1029177
>A context you created when you tried to be a smartass and point out that some of my 2015 distributions were capital gains and not dividends, and which I explained to you was a difference without a distinction.

You are being the smartass and I stated the truth, with your income not all being dividends.
>>
>>1029163
>>1029326
Don't listen to him. This is /biz/'s residential compulsive liar. He has built up a persona and lifestyle on an anonymous imageboard that in no way reflects him in real life.

He is unfortunately going insane and we can only pray he finds the help he needs.
>>
Your post
>>1028391
was not incorrect.

Your posts
>>1028778
>>1028899
>>1029112
>>1029163
were all false, as I repeatedly explained to you until you finally understood the point.

Now you're back to pretending >>1028391 was your only post. Its as if all your shitty posts on the tax rates never happened. Well, they happened.

Any more moving of the goalposts and they'll be in a different zip code.
>>
>>1029365
Get out of here loser
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.