[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do accountants get such a bad rap when people in finance

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

File: company-accountants.jpg (165KB, 615x272px) Image search: [Google]
company-accountants.jpg
165KB, 615x272px
Why do accountants get such a bad rap when people in finance are idolized even though you end up doing the same job if you work at a bank?
>>
>>1018092
because accounting is boring as fuck and finance is pictures as a wolf of wall street fuck every pussy do coke type of job. In reality you both stare at an excel spreadsheet all day and try not to kill yourself. source, former accounting major
>>
>>1018096
accounting is boring as fuck, but it's a relatively simple job, no?
>>
>>1018098
It's only boring if you make it boring.

In a mid office position, accountants, finance majors, math majors, stats majors all do very similar jobs.
>>
>>1018101
I'm honestly not quite sure how this all works, I'm just starting college courses to get my associates in Accounting. Then moving onto the University to get my Bachelors
>>
>>1018105
Good plan.

Accounting isn't bad, honestly. Yeah, if you end up working at H&R Block you'll want to kill yourself and junior members at a Big 4 get treated like slaves, but if you get a bank job or at a consultancy, then you'll find it pretty interesting.

Anon, I recommend you take a bunch of CS courses or at least learn Python and R during university alongside your Accounting bachelors.
>>
>>1018092

Because finance is more about sales, accounting is more like engineering, especially tax accounting.

Think of Enron, Arthur Andersen, etc.....

If you work in finance you can basically walk away from shit if it was legal but not ethical, accountants can't... or well they shouldn't, they have a fiduciary responsibility, especially auditors.
>>
>>1018109
Why computer science? I know a tad bit of C+ Cert and HTML webcoding if that at all helps.
>>
finance i just a place to sit the frat kids who bro'd through college and aren't good at anything
>>
>>1018143
Because everything is becoming automated and having programming experience or even knowledge is a huge boon.
>>
>>1018092

> accountants
> a bad rap

wut? most people love and respect accountants because they help people save money, and avoid giving it to the government.

finance people often get the bad rap. And they should.

Lawyers also get a bad rap. And they should too.
>>
It's like asking what's the difference between wrestling a bear and writing a story about a guy who wrestled a bear.

Accountants are cucks. They exist to document all the things the business people are doing, because business people are too busy getting things done to do it themselves. You're practically HR.
>>
>>1019144

This.

What fucking planet are you on, OP?
>>
>>1018092
It's the actuaries I wonder about? How are the actuaries finding life?
>>
>>1019160
earth i think but sometimes i have delusions

>>1019208
actuaries make mad cash tho
>>
>>1018096
>>1018101
Don't try to equate university experience of accounting to actual practice. Practice is even more boring.

>>1018109
Big 4 is chill as fuck. Then again I'm not actually an accountant, but I've never seen an accountant leave after 5PM.

Also
>R
What the fuck are you going to use an unused language like R for? If anything just learn VBA, that's all that you'll really get a chance to use, and will make the lifetime you spend in Excel a little less dull.

>>1018139
Enron/AA wasn't anything similar to engineering. It wasn't even a cautionary tale, that's just what happens when you don't follow accounting regulations. That said, my job exists because AA fucked up, so I'm happy enough. No complaints here

>>1019208
Actuaries exist on a higher plane of existence than us mortals. We cannot begin to understand their arcane workings.

Src: Big 4 wageslave and loving it
>>
>>1018092
Because many people can get into accounting. To work in finance for a bank you need to be from a top school with high marks.
>>
>>1019270
I've done actual accounting through co-op placements famuel

>learn VBA
That's a given though.
>>
>>1019270
How do I get a job at a big 4 with no junior internship and a shit GPA?
>>
>>1019270
>Actuaries exist on a higher plane of existence than us mortals. We cannot begin to understand their arcane workings.
But do they like their jobs? Do you ever see them complaining about anything?
>>
File: CDOmanager.jpg (21KB, 623x355px) Image search: [Google]
CDOmanager.jpg
21KB, 623x355px
>>1019144
Finance consultants/M&A investment bankers only get a bad rap because no one knows what they're doing. And as Lloyd Blankfein said, they're doing God's work.
>>
>>1020263
I don't know, but insurance firm actuaries are the heart and soul of those firms (apart from marketing that creates the brand), and they protect their actuarial tables like they were real babies.
>>
>>1019421
It's hard but networking helps.
>>
>>1019144
definitely agree, everyone likes accountants. the work has an unfair image of being boring though, its like having the pieces of a puzzle and trying to find where they go. if you want a nice cruisey upper class life accounting is a pretty sure way of getting there, I remember hearing that apart from engineering most CEOs have an accounting background than any other major so it prepares you pretty well for things and if you ever want to start your own business you'll be able to financially run it all yourself
>>
>>1021390
>everyone likes accountants
u tell a girl ur an accountant and her pussy will dry up right away thats why u tell them ur a banker
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.