[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the difference between a martial art and a combat sport?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 9

File: pai_mei.jpg (16KB, 352x348px) Image search: [Google]
pai_mei.jpg
16KB, 352x348px
What's the difference between a martial art and a combat sport?
>>
If they train right, nothing.
>>
the difference between martial arts and combat sports are numerous. let me first start off by saying martial arts are for real. they don't train to knock you out or to get points. they teach you how to kill someone with real shit that's banned from the ufc like dim mak and tiger claw. some shit is just too dangerous for the ring. sport fighters care about money and safety. real martial artists care about spiritual development with unity of mind and fist. its all meditation bro. think about it. steven seagal taught anderson silva and lyoto machida everything they know. he only revealed to them a tiny fraction of real martial arts and they became two of the most dominant champions in ufc history. it goes to show you what can happen when mma meatheads are faced with a real challenge. the so called soft martial arts are actually the most dangerous but 1. most of our moves are too dangerous for the ring 2. besides were not in it for the money. and 3. some of our techniques are so ancient were not ready to reveal it to the public because our competitors might steal them and use them against us. it's all about manipulating your chi energy bro. think outside the box. people in sport fighting don't understand what real martial arts is about. they don't understand the discipline required to get a black belt in a martial art so they focus on one thing power. the mma meatheads compensate. they buy tapout and metal mulisha t-shirts but i'm not intimidated lol. if one of them ever comes charging at me i'll simply step to the side and avoid his punches and eventually i'll break his wrist. martial science is about utilizing your environment to your advantage and dismantling your opponent as effectively as possible. it's not a sport. there are no points. what most mma meatheads don't understand is if they want to grow they need to be like water. like bruce lee said empty your mind be formless be shapeless like water. without water there is no life.
>>
File: neckbeardlaughing.jpg (155KB, 682x1023px) Image search: [Google]
neckbeardlaughing.jpg
155KB, 682x1023px
>>975711
>>
>>975711
Wew lad.
>>
>>975711

>not in it for the money

The average aikido/ninjutsu/Wing Chun/systema/other bullshit martial art costs you at least $500 a month to learn.
>>
>>975711
Is this the /asp/-Version of the "Grolious Nippon Steer Forded Ovel 1000 Times"-meme?
>>
>>975636
>>975660
Right answer here, combat sports and martial arts are pretty much the same, just done somewhat differently and with different rules, movement allowances, like utilizing gloves, rings/cages, timed rounds, etc,. Combat sports can be called martial arts and martial atrts can be called combat sports. The training, especially sparring you do in both should get you competent and used to being hit
>>
>>975726
>tfw my ninjutsu was $50usd/month for twice a week.
>>
>>975636
Combat sports are martial arts that are also competitive.
>>
>>976090
Well, you studied shit but at least it was cheap shit.
>>
>>975636
Combat sports are competitive martial arts. I guess i should say competitive martial arts where you fight your opponent with your respective style in the ring or on the mat. There are other competitive martial arts like Wushu and some TKD stuff that is based on exhibition and showing off your athleticism and skill through a choreographed routine.
>>
>>975711
I'm keeping this one handy, good shitpostin anon.
>>
Honestly, >>975660 is right, in the most general sense; it varies depending on your definition of what "martial arts" is, but the reason martial arts are called what they are is because they are an artform, as they are a display shown through effort and dedication. They use physical movement, namely combat as the medium for the art, so they are what is considered "martial". Because of this, most (if not all) combat sports can also be considered martial arts (but not all martial arts attempt to make the distinction of making themselves sports).

The only real difference between the two is that one's intention is to also be displayed in a setting of rules and regulations for the sake of recreation.
>>
>>975986
>>976479
>>976566

Also very on-point answers.
>>
>>975636
It depends on how you define "martial art" some hold that only arts developed by and for warriors and soldiers fall into the category. This definition not only rules out combat sports, but Chinese martial arts which were primarily the purview of civilians.

Or you could just say that combat sports are a subset of martial arts. and there is no reason to take the word "martial" literally.
>>
>>977240
Or you could realise that anything which doesn't train with resisting opponents is ethnic dancing.
>>
>>977251
Combat sport has certainly proven its worth, but how do you propose adapting that to training with a nine foot long naginata or nagimaki? any contact at speed would crush.

And why was one of the most feared styles of swordsmanship in the bakumatsu period a style with no sparring, just thousands of repetitive strikes a day couples with paired kata? Furthermore, why was competitive sparring equipment not invented until after the wars were over and restrictions had been placed on duels?

To put it simply, when it comes to weapons like the sword and spear, pattern practice has historically speaking, been the mainstay of training for battlefield practical weapons work.
>>
>>977313
I propose it's utterly irrelevant as you'd get tased should you try and walk around with either. Go be a weeb elsewhere.
>>
>>977324
>Go be a weeb elsewhere.

Where do you think you are?
>>
>>977342
There's being a weeb (I like animu) and being a weeb (I unsheath my katana).

Naginata faggot is the latter
>>
File: 1419629285063.jpg (249KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1419629285063.jpg
249KB, 900x900px
>>977346
>>
>>975711
The only correct answer in this thread.
>>
>>975711

I had to agreed most of it, but I had to add third difference, the artistic combats that mostly focus on performance than practicality and sparring.

The combat sports and artistic combats weakness is that they can't handle street fight very well because they lack either experience or "dirty techniques".

Those who can use real martial arts in street fights are rare type because we are living in modern age where killing is illegal in most countries unless you are soldiers or criminal.
>>
File: 1292259752193.jpg (73KB, 500x396px) Image search: [Google]
1292259752193.jpg
73KB, 500x396px
>>975711
Lmao this is the fuckin most bullshit post i've ever seen on /asp/ in my whole life. Where the fuck did you come up with this shit.
>>
>>977873
>The combat sports and artistic combats weakness is that they can't handle street fight very well because they lack either experience or "dirty techniques".

Literally what?

Are you fucking retarded?
>>
>>975711
Actually had me going for a moment
>>
>>975711
Thank you. I haven't been trying, my shitposting was virtually nothing compared to this.
I can do better, I can be more, it's about time I stopped slumping around. I'm better than this, and you've showed me that.
I could shitpost like that, too, I just need to stop doing fuck all.
>>
>>975636
If you can't practice it you can't apply it

Self defense schools are a joke

All of that "training " goes out the window when you get hit with an overhand straight to the chin

Look up stories by bas Ruten the former heavyweight champ, he discusses why self defense is a joke
>>
>>978008
So to answer your question : for effective martial arts they are the same
>>
>>977889

Let take some exemples.

Let say that you are trained in fancy traditional martial arts and you have perfected the style without actually sparring. At street a asshole suddenly pop and easily tackle you into the ground because you didn't expect the situations and you don't know how to counter it.

You are badass MMA fighter who have won several match without loss. After leaving the gym, a asshole pop up and want to rob you. With confidence you gonna show him that he shouldn't mess with you. With speed you going for leg grab but the asshole did a downward elbow strike at back of your head! And it is illegal move in MMA matches!
>>
Is fencing or kendo a combat sport?
>>
File: fedora.png (44KB, 328x360px) Image search: [Google]
fedora.png
44KB, 328x360px
>>978147
If TKD is.

>>978081
>>
>>975711
whoa is this yahoo answers
>>
>>978147

Fencing and kendo absolutely are combat sports, and are martial arts as well, as swordsmanship is traditionally a military combat skill.

For that matter, marksmanship and biathlon are combat sports and martial arts as well.
>>
>>978307
Kendo and fencing are rather divorced from practical sword work, kendo less so as it at least maintains practical sword work in the kendo kata, even if they are not emphasized or well integrated into kendo shiai.
>>
>>977873
>>978008
>>978013
>>978081

Holy shit, this screams of "I am 12 and what is this?". Hardly any school doesn't train for sparring, and if anything, most sparring that goes on is very well intended to be rough and rigorous, unless you're doing TKD or Aikido. Just because you think MMA is so cool doesn't magically make them innately better you twats.
>>
>>978081

So then you agree that saying that someone who actually trains and fights is going to suddenly unlearn all of that on "the streets" is bullshit.
>>
>>978359
>Hardly any school doesn't train for sparring

Most TMA in the US and Europe don't do sparring beyond Sport Krotty point stop sparring and two person "sparring katas".

I've encountered more TMA places that don't spar than ones that do, and there are even specific organizations of styles (Shorinji Kempo is one) that actively discourages sparring and fighting.

You're 99% more likely to actually train correctly and learn to fight if you go to a fight gym (that includes the Kyokushin offshoots for the most part).
>>
>>978359

I don't say MMA is cool, rather than MMA is a combat sport and it have rules which you are forbidden to do unlike in street fight.

Example strike to back of the head can be fatal and downward strike with elbow is dangerous too. Because the rules the MMA will develop bad habit that is unsuited for street fight.

>>978406

Actually it is more about developing bad habit in combat sports that are unsuited for street fight and lacking defence against attacks that consider to be foul in competitive fight.
>>
>>978483
>Actually it is more about developing bad habit in combat sports

Like timing, range, foot work, defense, technical striking and grappling?

>that are unsuited for street fight and lacking defence against attacks that consider to be foul in competitive fight.

Lol This is ridiculous.

What exactly do you think some untrained schmuck can do that an actual trained and experienced fighter can't?

Like, do you think you forget how to pick up sticks and rocks, kick someone in the groin, smash their head into a wall etc. when you actually train?

Your logic is the same as arguing that putting an untrained person in a shootout with a trained shooter is in the favor of the untrained person.
>>
>>978081
>>978483
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjK0g-cDJI4
>>
File: CS VS MA.jpg (63KB, 1216x822px) Image search: [Google]
CS VS MA.jpg
63KB, 1216x822px
>>978566
>Like timing, range, foot work, defense, technical striking and grappling?
It's like developing timing, range, foot work, defense, but for a butter knife instead of a bowie knife.

>technical striking and grappling
All to win a game, not to kill your opponent and preserve your life.
>>
>>978008
>If you can't practice it you can't apply it
I never practiced tying a coin knot once in my life, but after reading an infograph, I tied my first coin not without a single millisecond of practice.
>>
>>978897
>It's like developing timing, range, foot work, defense, but for a butter knife instead of a bowie knife.

With your analogy you're saying that people who don't train to fight with a bowie knife or a butter knife will 100% beat people who train to fight with a butter knife.

>>978901
Were you tying it under stress and was the rope trying to tie you into a coin knot?

This is the problem with most TMA queers, it's all about comparisons and theory with no actual application.
>>
File: R-tard=u.jpg (8KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
R-tard=u.jpg
8KB, 250x250px
>>975711
This is too thought out to be bait
So I leave you with this
>>
>>975636
so much of this is bullcrap. Every martial art builds habbits some might not work outside that martial art.

There are lots of solid combat sports, there are alot of solid TMA if your willing to seek them out rather than settling for the crap offered at your local mcdojo
>>
>>980353

hey bitch you got trolled
>>
Martial Arts/Combat Sports seem exiting, but I hat the idea of hurting anyone.
Is there a good in between for guys like me? I've been thinking about learning fencing or something like that, but I'm probably too old and big to start.
>>
>>985693
Fencing's bretty fun. You'll still end up with bruises though.

Go lift shit and put down the soda, fatty.
>>
File: 119wjdw.jpg (41KB, 569x428px) Image search: [Google]
119wjdw.jpg
41KB, 569x428px
>>975636
Every combat sport is a martial art
But not every martial art is a combat sport

Also this:
>>975660
>>
>>975711
Quality b8 m8
>>
>>975711

oh god please let this become a meme
>>
>>975636
the real difference of martial arts and sports is that for years the martial arts were created for war as the name particularly pointed traditional , today the day of the date can be seen in this classification : traditional martial arts like Yagyū Shingan - ryu , kenpo , karate, bujinkan (the latter is debatable ) these are focused on traditional aspects have become a folklore tradition for his appearance but were created to real situations each with its physical and philosophical differences
however they are made for a war that today is unmatched
I do not mean they are not effective but that their value in a " situation " not being evolved in modern aspects of combat have a difficulty applying

The following are the sports martial arts like boxing, tae kwon do , bjj, mma these are far from the martial arts as a model in which were embodied the previous name it, the arts sports combat are intended to create a sporting spirit and are trying to look away from real situations if not rather they are for certain sports field goals are met
for example: all are based on fighting one on one , there are rules that can not be broken (in this case would be no longer a sports if no rules ) , weapons do not exist in competitions as weapons ( if not as a representation ) all are related to sports institutions and usually have a good job to be healthy
modern martial arts are for example: krav maga , systema / sambo , self defense, these martial arts are created for modern "situations" in which the application and approaches aim to survival of the student, usually they try to be direct . sparring or fighting is not contemplated , guns are commonly used and are usually things that one " could " face ( not swords )

I hope you serve something regret my ugly English
>>
>>978662
Whoa look at him die from those brutal downward strikes!
>>
Well I can't decide where to ask it and I don't want to start a whole new thread, so I'll see if the wisdom in this thread can help me out. My university offers beginner MMA as well as beginner Tae Kwon Do classes. I wanted to get into one or the other but don't know what I should pick. Any tips, or should I just ignore them both?
>>
>people saying there is none

The diference is that martial arts (like kung fu, aikido, ninjitsu, or most karate styles) are choreographed dancing for people who were bullied inschool and dream of getting back their lunch money some day with they awesome ninja powers and iron fist of the fire dragon. And in combat sports you learn something for real
>>
>>994009
If the TKD teacher have trained many students who won world championships and olympic medals considering training under him, if that is not the case go for MMA
>>
>>994087
Thanks for the tip. There's a good chance that isn't the case but I'll check into it.
>>
>>975726
fake, aikido 50€/month, 5 times at week
>>
>>996653
Still 50 euros more than it's worth.
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.