[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey guy's first time posting on /fit/ like ever, so here's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 7

File: 734124559_563ecd801d_b.jpg (652KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
734124559_563ecd801d_b.jpg
652KB, 1024x768px
Hey guy's first time posting on /fit/ like ever,
so here's the break down I'm starting to learn how to box soon.
I am 5'6" 130lbs little muscle and a very little fat just excess skin really.
My soon to be coach told me its an entirely different lifestyle and that is something I must be mentally
and physically prepared to give up everything i'm doing now.I Think he's just saying that to scare me away because he thinks
I don't have potential but the way he looked at me made me have second thoughts.
any help and tips to help me get ready?
>>
File: 1315235263452.jpg (18KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1315235263452.jpg
18KB, 480x360px
>>972213
>manlets
when will they learn
>>
>>972213
I don't box, are most boxing gyms lile that because it sounds rediculous to expect all your customers to dedicate their life to the sport.
>>
>>972234
i told him i want to dedicate my life to it
>>
>>972213
>>972238
Boxing is a dying game.
UFC is the ultimate hand to hand combat sport that's going to last.
It's also a lot, I mean a lot, more complex, and fun.

Boxing is really just a waste of time if you want to learn how to fight when there's modern MMA.
>>
>>972262
but boxing is something i can feel in my blood,i tried MMA once,
Never again after literally my first spar the asshole kicked my femur so hard i was in crutches for 4 weeks
>>
>>972302
>get leg kicked once and quit
lmao
>>
>>972213
This isn't super relevant but whoever took that picture needs to be shot. Those are the super cheap wal mart gloves that are filled with the same cotton they put in pillows and are fucking useless for any actual boxing.

On your problem:

The coach is probably discouraging you because like >>972262 said, boxing is in a transition state where it's lost a lot of popularity (especially with MMA growing) and authentic gyms (ones that don't do that stupid box-a-robic crap) are dying off. The ones that DO stay open mostly rely on the pros they produce and the competitions they help set up and train for, so they don't really have a lot of time to really dedicate to teaching someone that they in all likelihood will never see after that first session.

If you pay the fees to go and stick around, he'll most likely soften up a bit, but be prepared to spend a lot of time working on the few things you are initially taught until you're sick of doing them. Then he'll probably set you up with a spar or two, you'll get your ass kicked, then he'll fix that form with some more tips that you'll have to drill until you're sick of doing those. All the while you have to work cardio (running and jumprope) and strength training while also learning how to use the various bags (speed, double end, etc) AND most likely change your diet.

Another thing: why the hell would you dedicate your life to a sport where you spend a majority of it getting punched in the head? If you have any other avenues, take those and make this a hobby. Your chances of success are minimal at best and, unless you're in your early teens, even narrower because you're starting late. Add to it that they're most likely even NARROWER because you're asking a nerd image board on the internet, which tells me that your regular hobbies and the time you spend are probably not that athletic. All of those factors are going to make that initial hill to just mediocrity hard as hell to climb.
>>
>>972325
>>972302
>>but boxing is something i can feel in my blood,i tried MMA once,

Sorry to talk tough at you, but bullshit. Don't make melodramatic statements like that because you sound impulsive and idiotic. There's a lot more to it than getting in the ring and hitting another guy. It's also incredibly insulting to the guys who have actually have turned themselves into boxing machines because of their intense dedication to the sport.

>>Never again after literally my first spar the asshole kicked my femur so hard i was in crutches for 4 weeks

Was he in your weight class? If so then you're just most likely not that athletically prepared and probably shouldn't have been sparring to begin with. If not then you probably shouldn't have been in sparring him to begin with.

Look. I'm not trying to act like I'm God's gift to boxing or I'm some kind of prodigy. I'm not. I'm a guy who's very aware that because of his past and his current age that there's no way I can make a career out of boxing, so I do it as a hobby. But I do see the types of people who come through the gym and the only ones that even have a slim chance to make it are the ones who started very early, have a history of athleticism/violence, and are hungry enough because there is literally nothing else for them. Chances are if you come from anywhere near a decent household, are older than 15, and don't have at least some athleticism, you're not going to make a career out of it.
>>
>>972329
Beyond that though, here's how you prepare:

Run, a lot. You should be able to run at least a mile when you start. Most fighters want to be able to run 3-5 miles before they're in good enough condition to fight.
Jump rope, a lot.
Pushups, sit ups, and squats. A lot.
Stretch, a lot.

Learn as much as you can about the basic techniques online, then go in without any preconceived notions and listen intently to EVERYTHING your coach tells you. Don't argue with him about "but ________ on youtube said it was like this!" Don't bother trying to sound smart by saying "Oh, I saw __________ on this website and he said ____________." The only phrase you need to know is "Yes sir," and how to ask a question for clarification. Go in as a sponge, but do your homework outside of the gym.

If you're training to actually fight and make weight:

Stop drinking soda and sugary drinks.
Stop eating fast food and most pre-prepared foods (precooked meals, hot pockets, that shit)
Learn to cook basic foods (chicken, vegetables etc)
Count your fucking calories.
>>
>>972262
That explains why GSP was getting 600k for a fight to mayweather's 50m.
> implying low-mid carders make minimum wage doing eithet
>>
>>972329
it was before the round started and the guy was a middle weight and i was a lightweight the coach was a fucking idiot and was texting on his phone instead of watching the match and as the round finished when i was just about to walk to my corner and swug his heel so fast at my leg i was on the floor
>>
>>972884
Learn to box, then learn to kickbox, then learn to grapple. Then all of the roads for combat sports will be open to you, do whichever you enjoy most/are best at/make the most money.
>>
File: smiles all around.png (259KB, 358x339px) Image search: [Google]
smiles all around.png
259KB, 358x339px
>>972329
i mean i grew up always getting my shit kicked in by older kids in classes and i have a strong anger streak but never fought back i made a hole in my wall in 1 punch and im really good at sprinting.
I Believe i can do it but i just wanted to hear what others had to say, thank you the people who gave me advice. when i have my first boxing spar ill tell you
>>
>>972890
Anger and quickly using all your energy are both things that will harm you more than your opponent.
>>
>>972983
>Its just complex as mma is
lol no.

It sounds like you don't understand Boxing and MMA.
>>
>>972983
>You should try things out so you know what your talking about before you talk shit on the internet.
If you're not projecting, and actually did Boxing and MMA, it's a shame you spent all that time, but learned nothing.
What's it feel like being stupid?
>>
>>972983
You should try things out so you know what you're talking about before you talk shit on the internet.
>>
>>972213
Dude if you want to box go box.
Current WBC heavyweight champ Deontay Wilder didnt start boxing until he was 21. This sport isnt for everyone, but dont listen to people on this fucking board, just go charge, decide for yourself.
>>
>>972890
>I made a hole in my wall in 1 punch

KID YOURE GONNA BE THE GREATEST DRYWALL-WEIGHT FIGHTER EVER

AFTER YOUR MOM MAKES YOU FIX IT COME DOWN TO MY GYM AND YOURE GONNA RULE THE AUTIST DIVISION

YER A RECKIN MACHINE
>>
File: charlie-zelenoff.jpg (28KB, 300x451px) Image search: [Google]
charlie-zelenoff.jpg
28KB, 300x451px
CHARLIE Z THE GOAT

108-0 FUCKIN DELUSIONAL BOXREC RETARDS EXPOSED
>>
>>972213
dive head in and don't be a bitch
>>
>>980250
>don't be a bitch
This will help you get in martial arts.
>>
Damn. New fake Wu rambles a lot, like TKDBrah.

Did real Wu an hero?
>>
>>980359
I'd check his facebook for updates, but I never bothered to save a link when Wu was doxed.

Even if there were updates, they could possibly be made by someone else, and if there're pictures, they could've been pre-taken before Wu's suicide, if he did commit suicide.
What's less probable is that if he did commit suicide, and for some reason someone(s) were to be posting on his facebook as if he were still alive, they'd have an identical human for the images, a human with some highly-developed fake face, or image editing.
Though, I do recall reading about there being methods of people able to tell with relatively high accuracy if images were faked or not.
>>
>>980359
I also noticed New-Wu posting about Boxing a lot.
>>
I don't think old Wu posts any more. I've been using this handle since maybe November or December.

I took it partially as a joke (the idea of Wu talking intelligently about an art that he had no exprrience or clue in made me laugh) and partially because I studied Tai Chi a little over ten years ago so it fit.
>>
File: bruce-lee-laughing.gif (2MB, 369x271px) Image search: [Google]
bruce-lee-laughing.gif
2MB, 369x271px
>>972213
> Im 5'6
>>
>>980447

Nice try, Wu.
But it ain't gonna work.

Now tell us about how many fights you had, faggot.
>>
>>980455
Zero. I've been training in boxing for about a year and have sparred a lot, including against amateur boxers, but no fights. My coach thinks I'm almost ready but I need to drop to middleweight first. I'm currently about light heavyweight.
>>
>>980359
Yeah, but tkd still posts the shittiest.
>>
>>980582

Nice, keep it up.
>>
>>980378
If only he had fought CCP. Maybe it would have snapped him back into reality
>>
>>972329
>Chances are if you come from anywhere near a decent household, are older than 15, and don't have at least some athleticism, you're not going to make a career out of it.

I'm 18 and I'm starting uni soon. I'm starting boxing after.What would I need to do to make it Anon?
>>
>>988053
Really, REALLY dedicate yourself to the lifestyle. One of the better pros at our gym started at that age, but he had a history of violence (drug running, incarceration, gang violence, etc) and boxing helped turn his life around. He had a severe eye injury (and a blossoming family) that cut his career short, but he trained like a demon and became a phenomenal counter puncher.

If you REALLY want to do this, you can't half ass it. Your diet, lifestyle, and mental focus all have to shift to a boxing mentality.

Again, though, the later you start the more valuable time and experience you lose. Fight experience cannot be replaced, and getting a head start by competing in junior amateur/amateur fights when you're younger are such huge boosts in your overall skill level. Rossboxing.com does a pretty good job of laying it out:

"No country wins 67 medals in a sport without knowing what they are doing. Cuba’s dominance is even more impressive however when you consider the size of the small island. The entire country has a population of approximately 11 million. To put that number in perspective, states such as Pennsylvania and Ohio have larger populations than all of Cuba. Cuba doesn’t just compete against individual states though. The small island has excelled on an international stage.

Cuba’s small island has maintained that high density model. The island is filled with talented boxers. And when you have a lot of talented boxers who box with each other, everyone improves. Super bantamweight world champion Guillermo Rigondeaux (seen at the top) serves as a prime example. Prior to defecting to pursue a professional career, Rigondeaux amassed well over 400 amateur bouts as a Cuban. He is now considered one of the best pound for pound boxers in the world."
>>
>>988088
>>988053

If you decide to do this and get into a good gym, then train like a demon and do exactly what your coach tells you. If he says you need to bend your knees more when your jab, spend so much time doing it that it becomes second nature to you and you do it instinctively. Do not take his advice, do it a few times or for a round then move on to something else. OWN every skill that's gifted to you.

There's a guy at the gym we go to that's been going for about six months and he's just as bad as the day he came in. I've given him all sorts of advice and he, at best, has worked on it for a round or two then promptly forgotten about it the next day. He doesn't do much in the gym at all and spends most of his time chatting or on his phone, then he wants to spar (and summarily gets his ass kicked). It's gotten to the point where the two or three people he spars with (myself, a friend, and my girlfriend) all regularly kick his ass so bad that we aren't gaining anything even by holding back. Don't be that guy. When you get advice after a spar learn it, incorporate it into your training, and own it daily.

Become a student of it. Watch videos of old boxers, LeeWylie on youtube is a good place to start. Watch videos of trainers so you can see why they do what they do. Be an active student of the game and soak in all information you can. Being athletically gifted or just having a strong will aren't enough.

If I had to summarize everything in a short sentence, it would be "Listen, learn, and work."
>>
>>974323
You are a idiot that does not understand the incidences of rules in combat sports
>>
>>980582

>Zero
>a year
>amatuer boxers, but no fights
>>
>>988152
Ok, what's the problem?
>>
File: doit.jpg (23KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
doit.jpg
23KB, 300x300px
wow there is complete fucking retardation in this thread

Right, firstly
>Im starting soon
is not gonna cut it, why cant you do it right away? tomorrow, today? go into the gym on the next training day and start fucking training

>give up everything im doing now (scare me away)

these guys take one look at every fucker that enters there place makes either 2 judgments of you, do you look hard? or do you look soft
if this guy doesnt think anything of you, spend the time in the gym training, get fucking good and start showing some well earned skill, earn his respect, you dont have spend your whole life doing this shit unless you wanna knock out people for a living, in the end of the day, all martial arts is a vital fucking skill in the real world and it goes a long way having knowledge in any of it

If you arnt going to train right away, what can you do first
>fitness fitness fitness
like other people said
now, you can watch all these videos on striking and fighting shit, but i know full well you aint gonna do it right, it might look right to you but your just gonna get bad habits, if you do wanna get some basics down, do it slow and controlled, keep your feet alive make sure you know where your weight is, the power comes after, it comes easy, dont train mindless, be completely aware of your whole body in every strike, as you shadow, imagine your fist, foot, knee etc striking your opponent/opponents, see there jaw being clipped by your fist and there head whiplashing.. punches are a sharp ting, not a push, (DONT be twitchy, jerky, be smooth, speed will come with time. watch a fuck ton of all pro high levels fighters competing, every one, every type of fighting, all eras and all fucking conclusions, watch tyson stomping people out then watch him getting the beatings. your body is a temple and has the potential to something most people cant understand or imagine, fucking do it

The biggest trainer in any fighting art is you, yourself
>>
>>988158
how do you spar? light/playful, or do you spar with head guard and 2/3 power? both?
>>
>>988197

Coach won't let us spar without mouthguards and headgear. He also doesn't believe in pulling punches, so we spar pretty close to 100% intensity, but have a coach watching/our own eyes to know when we need to back away.

When I started, it was slow with just jabs, then after a week or so it went to "whatever we feel like doing."

Now I'm not going to boast and say I'm any good. I'm not. When I spar amateur fighters (guys with amateur records who compete in tournaments), I feel like they tend to beat the crap out of me. But I know enough and have enough control that coach uses me as a sparring partner for new guys to get the used to the ring and the feel of a spar. My coach seems to think I'm pretty good though and says that if I can make weight that he just wants to tweak some of the "junk" out of my technique and I'll be ready for an amateur bout.
>>
>>988197
>>988210
The place I go is owned by a former pro who, up until the last election cycle, was the President of the Virginia Boxing Association. He's produced quite a few pros and state Golden Gloves champs out of his gym. He also emphasizes taking care of his boxers and doesn't let people spar until he feels they're ready and only lets them spar guys he thinks are good match-ups for them in terms of relative skill.
>>
>>988212
That sounds like a good place, humble. I wish you all the best in your fighting. I am an amateur kick boxer with just over 2 years, only competed once at mid intensity, I would like to go full contact when the times right, i feel that my power, contact and defence is sufficient but my weight is way to high and when i get blitz'd i get slightly tangled
>>
>>972890
Your posts are comedy gold.
>>
>>972262
>cheaper
>you will learn real boxing unlike at some MMA place with a guy that trained it for like 3 years
>>
>tfw starting @ 21
I don't think it's too late for me. I'm going to go in and smash all of the amateurs at my gym and then work my way through the "pros" there.
>>
>>991722
>real boxing
Works well in boxing.
Not so much in anything more realistic, like kickboxing, especially MMA.
You get your shit kicked in and slammed into the ground when you try to use "real boxing" in MMA.
>>
>>991804
Boxers getting headkicked and knee'd to shit when they try to dodge shots.
>>
>>992070
>whats gonna turn you into the most lethal streetifighter or whatever the fuck.
MMA isn't for that.
You need a hybrid self defense art for that.
Ideally, something with a combination of Boxing, Kickboxing, Muay Thai, Judo, Wrestling, Stick/Cane fighting, Knife Fighting, Knife Disarming, Gun Disarming, Shock Stick fighting, Pepper Spray fighting, Pepper Spray Disarming, and Tactical Shooting.
>>
OP (and most of these posters) should pay attention to >>988191.
>>
>>979812
Hes a man, hes a ghost, hes a god, hes a guru.
>>
>>972329
die
>>
>>972213
>I'm 5'6

Have you tried your local circus?
>>
>>992187
Don't listen to this fuckwit. Good basics in boxing, or anything really, plus physical fitness, will do you fine in a self defense situation. Self-control and not being forced into a fight are the next level.
Strong basics and fitness beat experience, all things being equal.
A civilian doesn't need all that roleplaying shit to walk around with his head up.
>>
>>991852
I think if a pro boxer actually stepped into a UFC/MMA type of event he would drop people immediately. Then he would find it hard to get fights. Ultimately he would be risking it all for chump change.
Nobody is going to wade in and shoot for a takedown on someone like Tyson or Ali in their weight class. It'd be a waste of the boxer's time to show up.
This cage fighting stuff is a fad. There'll always be HURR TEH TOUGHEST STYLE in the 60s70s it was kung-fu and karate, then in the 8os it was ninjutsu for a while, then kickboxing had a good run thru to the mid 90s when the Gracies started to really market their crap.
Tyson and King resurrected pro-boxing, it'll last.
>>
>>993897
>>993916
top kek
You just can't make this stuff up.
>>
>>993186
You messed the order up but I appreciate the reference all the same
>>
>>972302
If you ended up in crutches after your first sparring session, either you're partner was an asshole or you're a pussy.
>>
>>994341
Ah fuck it
Now i feel like a top tier try hard.

Nick Cave though - how fucking good.
>>
This thread is fucking hilarious.
>>
>>972325
>stupid box-a-robic crap
Cry some more.
Not everyone wants to spar and compete. Some people just want to get the basic techniques down and add a lot of endurance to their bodies.
>>
>>988197
>light/playful
>implying full power isn't playful
>>
>>972325
Running is boring. Cardio Kickboxing is more fun.
>>
>>1010334
>>Cry some more.
>>Not everyone wants to spar and compete. Some people just want to get the basic techniques down and add a lot of endurance to their bodies

>Replying to a post that is expressly talking about gyms for competitors dying off and why said owners can be jaded and salty regarding lily-white newcomers.

Learn to read better.
>>
>>972262
Its called MMA, UFC is just a pro MMA company theres many of them.
>>
>>972981
Nobody watches boxing anymore MMA took over.
>>
>>979812
>strong earing
>>
>>993916
This is what people who don't know MMA think. The guy refers to it as UFC/MMA for fucks sake!
>>
>>992070
If your not training to be the most lethal street fighter you are just fooling yourself with whatever ruleset you follow. Look whats happened to BJJ with 40% of submissions not allowed i.e. leg locks. MMA is the most similar to real fighting.
>>
>>993916
>Who is James Toney?

World Champion boxer who fought a World Champion MMA fighter and didn't get a single punch in.
>>
>>1016936
Most people who get in fights now days are UFC fans and know MMA. So yeah being badass at MMA would be important. It wouldn't matter if you are a great boxer if they are just gonna Jiu Jitsu your shit and now your crippled for life.
>>
>>1016944
Mike Tyson admits he would of got into it instead. He didn't get into boxing to be rich he got into so he would be good at beating people up so he could steal their shit.
>>
>>1016717

>However, the facts — and cold, hard dollars — show that MMA is nowhere near boxing in terms of TV audience or gate receipts which are really the only objective measurements anyone can use to compare the two.

>http://www.the42.ie/mma-boxing-comparison-2205321-Jul2015/
>>
>>1016717
>Nobody watches boxing anymore MMA took over.

No combat sports enthusiasts watches Boxing more than MMA anymore.

ftfy, senpai
>>
>>972213
>>972238
i am keking imagining my coach's reaction to some puny kid saying this
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.