[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fast food of martial art

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6

File: images.jpg (16KB, 287x451px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
16KB, 287x451px
Is it true that Krav Maga, Cystema and Thai Chi are macdojos that only exist to gain profit and aren't useful at all?

I've always thought that every martial art is useful to some degree and that it also depends a 100% in the individual and his "style" to make it work.

Recently I asked a friend how to start in the martial arts world and he told me to learn boxing and then go for judo.
But I've recently read >pic related and started looking at Vasiliev's cystema videos and I'm kinda curious.

What are your opinions on these martial arts?
How to identify a Macdojo?
>>
a Mcdojo is a business model alot of mc dojo teach bjj, a ver effective art.

Most martial arts have some practical elements, but to say all martial arts are equally good for fighting is straining it beyond credibility.

most tai chi is just standing yoga, and not many people do it well. most krav is watered down a lot from the original version, systema I don't know alot about but people here don't like it.
>>
>>883178
>Thai Chi
Tai Chi is for:
- old people
- spiritual people
- Wannabe Chinese White Boys
- Martial Artists who try a little bit of everything
>>
File: bjj on the streets.gif (2MB, 232x116px) Image search: [Google]
bjj on the streets.gif
2MB, 232x116px
>>883211
>a ver effective art.
>>
File: BJJ vs Gun.webm (3MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
BJJ vs Gun.webm
3MB, 640x480px
>>883225
>>
>>883225
its called context, no marital art prepares you for every situation. and very few indeed would prepare you for that.
>>
File: anti-bjj-kick.gif (1MB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
anti-bjj-kick.gif
1MB, 320x180px
>>883231
>>
>>883232
>no marital art prepares you for every situation.
Some martial arts prepare you for more situations than others.
>>
>>883238
If you can bring a another martial artist down, and choke or disable him, your already a better fighter than 90% of the population. True you should not go to the ground with his friends around but in context BJJ can and has been adapted for law enforcement
>>
>>883242
>>883237
>>883225
On that note, is there a martial art specialized for defending against groups? I know the best way is to run against multiple people, but if you had to fight.
>>
How is this relevant to wrestling?
>>
>>883278
>I know the best way is to run against multiple people
There's an art for that called Parkour.

>is there a martial art specialized for defending against groups?
Paintball and Airsoft for special forces training?

For hand to hand combat?
We should make one, and then dominate The Hip Show.
>>
>>883278
Kapap contains alot of multiple oppenents training but
same danger with krav maga is that you run into McDojo trainer (well atleast you can be sure he atleast
read a book before taking your money).

Honestly just don't go on the ground, keep an eye
on the exits and bounce when you get the
opportunity too.
>>
>>883278
Boxing is good, judging by the videos where guys kite and punch multiple opponents. I imagine a bit of wrestling or judo would help in case one of them manages to grab you.
>>
>>883224
Most people aren't even aware that Taichi is a martial art. Me included.
I went into it for health benefits and it was described as something that is also good for martial artists, because it helps with your body's condition (which it actually fucking does - my back feels like new and I'm much more flexible now) and only later did I find out that it's an actual martial art.

Then again, I'm a martial artist with one main art and a bunch of supplementary arts that I use to remove weak points in my skills. Like, I did boxing when I realized that I have no clue about punching.
>>
>>883242
>but in context BJJ can and has been adapted for law enforcement
In law enforcement you are never alone, though.
That's why they love to grapple.
>>
>>883407
What's your base art, nerd?
>>
>>883527
Eskrima
>>
>>883407
>Like, I did boxing when I realized that I have no clue about
Have you done Taekwondo, yet?
You'll realize you had no clue about kicking.
>>
File: NYC_Hotdog_cart.jpg (2MB, 2304x3072px) Image search: [Google]
NYC_Hotdog_cart.jpg
2MB, 2304x3072px
Boxing and Taekwondo are like hotdog carts.

They're cheap, dirty, but they'll sell you filling food for cheap, even if the food has no substance.
>>
File: Boxing vs Kickboxing.gif (1MB, 260x146px) Image search: [Google]
Boxing vs Kickboxing.gif
1MB, 260x146px
>>883178
The most effective hand to hand, 1 vs 1 fighters are MMA fighters.

Every art has its weaknesses, every art has its strengths, and some arts have even more weaknesses.

MMA is constantly (even if slowly sometimes) trying to filter out the bullshit in these older arts, and altering the good stuff to work together for the ultimate hand to hand, 1 vs 1 combat system.
>>
Copy and pasted off an older thread on "how to Identify a McDojo".

Alarm bells:
>Overblown claims like saying it's the most effective version of the martial art, direct links to the style's founder or extremely famous practitioners or ridiculously high rankings like 10th dans. There's good places with strong claims to them but if it feels overblown, investigate because chances are you're getting rused

>Claims of guaranteed black belts in X amount of time, if there's any claim of the sort then it's bullshit. If there's a whole load of teenagers with black belts then that's also your cue to get the crap out

>Demanding upfront payments or a contract signing or anything of the sort. Obviously you're gonna have to pay but if the size and contents of your wallet and how much of that they're going to get are of the utmost importance to them, shit's fishy

Good signs:
>Athletic instructors and students. The latter get some leeway because not everyone has the time and drive to be /fit/, but the people teaching you how to fight should at the very least look healthy

>A focus on reality-based training, free sparring so students can practice the application of techniques against resisting opponents is a paramount of Judo and BJJ and part of what makes them so well-respected. If it's all compliant exercises and demonstration stuff where a guy stands still while the teacher performs a 20 hit combo or magical-looking throw with barely any contact, look elsewhere
>>
>>889755
What is your opinion on drills like in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Epmin-BomkM

Would you consider it compliant training or would you say that it fits more into a sparring mold?

I'm genuinely curious what the people on /asp/ think. Personally I think it's an interesting compromise between getting punched in the face and getting no training in proper defense, though I'd wager it only works with short-ranged weapon-based styles.

Also, is this style of drilling done in any art aside from balintawak? I never heard of it before starting, but I also only had peripheral knowledge of martial arts, aside from some judo I did as a child and a bit of aikido as a teenager.

Also, what would you say is better, chatty trainers that explain everything and can pull an explanation for any question out of their hat (i.e. they might just be bullshitting through questions) or trainers that have an aura of knowing their shit but an inability to express themselves (which might mean they are just a bit autistic and self-confident instead of skilled)?
>>
>>889685
How high is the chance of injury?
Shouldn't Taekwondo be pretty unhealthy for your legs, especially if you aren't conditioned for it?
I'm not a teenager anymore.
>>
>>883393
boxing is too focused on sports for situations outside of the ring. one on one it's in the god tier range, but add more than one opponent and even pro boxers are forced back to novice levels of skill.
>>
>>890057
Basically, boxing is sufficient for any situation where you can stand up and throw punches against most common opponents.

Throw in weapons, people trained in other arts or situations where you cannot punch properly and you will have problems. Though the cardio will still help you.

I wouldn't want to fight a boxer, unless I'm in a situation where he's uncomfortable.
>>
>>889691
This.
There's no room for bullshit when you want to be the best.
There're new fighters every year.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.