[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Asked this in boxing general but figured it might be worth its

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: 1447705377843.jpg (195KB, 720x733px) Image search: [Google]
1447705377843.jpg
195KB, 720x733px
Asked this in boxing general but figured it might be worth its own thread

I'm looking to get into boxing. I realized its important to know what to do with your hands rather than just be an idiot and start swinging. I'm a decent sized guy but I'd feel more confident if I actually knew how to strike/fight.

I'm an athletic trainer (sports medicine) so I've learned a lot about head injuries. The fear of concussions and CTE when I'm very old is magnified for me more than normal people.

Does anyone know the risk of head injuries for someone looking to get into boxing who doesn't want to be competitive? I have zero desire to ever have an amateur fight. I know sparring is required and a huge part of getting better and I can understand that. But for someone who just wants to have a grasp on defending themselves, what are my chances of suffering serious head injuries or brain injuries over time? Any advice on this topic?
>>
My assumption is that you would be relatively safe from head injuries from recreational boxing, even if it does include sparring. But I am purely guessing and assuming and would love also love to hear from
someone who knows their shit. So -
Bump
>>
>>880695
thanks for the bump friend.
>>
>>880677
Casual sparring should be pretty safe, aside maybe from broken noses.

You could also look into fitness boxing. Make sure that the trainer actually does ordinary boxing lessons, as well, and knows his shit, though.
It's got a higher focus on the workout element, but still teaches you some boxing stuff.

Then again, for real self defense, boxing isn't all that useful outside of the stamina gain and the fact that you'll know how to throw a punch.
Really, learning how to throw a punch and do simple combos will take a few weeks at most. Afterwards you get dimishing returns for self-defense. Especially when you get into the habit of punching faces. That's a fucking bad idea without a glove, if you haven't already heard.

The footwork is only suited for plain surfaces.

Then again, most of the time you really only need to know how to counter a shoddy punch and knock the wind out of a fucker. Most people are not trained martial artists.
Boxing might have the real-world advantage of not being a grappling style - Very nice for if you run into an asshole and his friends. However, in a pure 1on1 grappling will be even more useful, because people generally have more of a concept of hitting things than they have of grappling. Plus, concrete is hard, so throws are nice.
>>
>>880733
>for real self defense, boxing isn't all that useful
This is /asp/ now.
>>
>>880787
Boxing has no defenses against grappling, kicks, uneven surfaces, your opponent's skull, elbows, locks, throws, knees, footstomps and a wide variety of other situations.
It's a game. It's good at what it does. You gain murder stamina and very good fisting skills, as well as fisting avoidance. But that's only a small subset of what you'd be likely to encounter IRL.
>>
>>881958
Then why are there so many videos of it being used effectively in self defense? It may not be the best for self defense but it definitely is effective.
>>
>>881958
> Never before have I read so much shit

The defence is offensive countering, granted your overall skillset is lower (however I disagree with people who say boxers can't grapple, it's a major part of the fight it's just not grappling for obvious damage), it doesn't matter because the skills you are using are so focused they counter the larger, less concentrated skillset.

Plus boxers generally tend to have a much stronger warrior mentality than other combat fighters, most of them will fight through anything, they have heart and spirit which is rarely matched by other pros, let alone cucks in the street.
>>
>>882061
Because even Western Krav Maga works in a street fight 90% of the time.
People on the streets don't know how to fight.

But the second someone has some experience in middle school wrestling and kid's karate, you get completely fucked up.
Heaven forbid that they decided to do a dedicated month of Muay Thai.

It's a fact that scumbag people can get training, that muh honoroburu sensei bullshit is bullshit, because students pay the bills.
Anybody can get MMA training.

tl;dr
When the opponent actually has training, Boxing is bullshit.

Muay Thai > Boxing
Sanda/Sanshou > Boxing
Wrestling > Boxing
BJJ > Boxing
Sambo > Boxing
American Kickboxing > Boxing
Savate > Boxing
Karate + Wrestling > Boxing
Even Taekwondo + Wrestling > Boxing
>>
>>882061
>>882844
Not to mention how many gang owned Boxing gyms there were.

Have you heard of Boxing gyms aimed towards street scum kids so that they can focus on school and Boxing instead of street shit?
Those kinds of gyms are things.
Not every kid is going to be saved, but every kid is going to have learned Boxing.

I can't tell you how many people I've met that are wanna be gangster petty criminals that start fights, steal, and do drugs, who have trained in Boxing, Kickboxing, Muay Thai, or MMA.

If you try to use Boxing against a trained MMA fighter on the streets, you're going to get your ass handed to you on a silver platter.

Boxing might be useful maybe 80% of the time, but it's complete shit the rest of the time.
>>
>>882848
You could spend just as much time in Kickboxing as you would have in Boxing, and stand a shit ton more of a chance than you would if you were to have trained Boxing.

Boxing is bullshit as a martial art.
Boxing is a game, it's like football.

However, Boxing is a good supplementary art.
Striking isn't only elbows, knees, backhands, and kicks. Striking also is punching, as well as other things.
>>
>>882061
>Then why are there so many videos of it being used effectively in self defense?
>can't think logically
>can't have logical discussion
kill yourself, you disgusting, worthless piece of human garbage.
>>
>>882461
>>
bumping for further answers
>>
This place's mental retardation truly is on the rise, still don't get why wwe manchildren who like pretending that they're big stronk men in tight panties doing finishing moves on their pillows bother giving us their youtube knowledge on boxing.
>>
>>882849
You're new here and you keep shitting up boxing threads, why don't you stay in your containment threads or check the archives in silence so you can stop spouting bullshit, namely the muaythai/boxing+bjj/judo threads variations? Your autism and ignorance is tedious.
>>
>>883236
YouTube actually has some very accurate information, spanning a wide range of topics.
As with the rest of the internet, you just need to figure out how to determine which one's are probable not wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ7bbmjtAB0

You can learn quite a bit about Biology on YouTube these days.

Universities even post lectures on YouTube.
>>
>>883241
>thinking it's just one guy
>>
>>880677
Don't be a vanilla midget and you'll do fine.
>>
>>882844
>>Because even Western Krav Maga works in a street fight 90% of the time.

>>Then again, for real self defense, boxing isn't all that useful outside of the stamina gain and the fact that you'll know how to throw a punch.

Yeah, quit spouting incoherent bullshit. You can't claim watered down bullshido Krav Maga is enough for a vast majority of fights then state boxing isn't useful in a "real self defense" situation because everyone who's going to pick a fight with you is trained in MMA, you're either completely contradicting yourself or changing the initial basis of the argument.
>>
Yeah, take up Muay Thai instead. Boxers are retards with brain damage.
>>
>>882844

>When the opponent actually has training, Boxing is bullshit.

Hahahaha...

Oh dear.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.