[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

THE World Heavyweight Championship

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 2

WWE likes to brag that it's WHC is most prestigious championship in the world, but they sometimes put the IWGP, NWA, WCW, and ECW world championships in the same position as the WWEWHC. So what championship is closest to being THE World Championship. If there isn't what championship share the level of prestige as WWE or is there a championship that is even more prestigious than WWE's.
For the Indie promotions like RoH and TNA they have their own world championships, but is it worth winning it? Does the NWA, the championship that most promotions championships branched out from, still have prestige? Is the NXT championship better than the other Indie championships?
I wanted /asp/ and /wwe/'s thoughts on this. This has always creeped up in my mind.
>>
>>879424
The original ECW belt was nothing but a regional title. It shouldn't be called a world belt. Same with the iwgp. NWA belt hasn't been relevent since the 80s
>>
>>879427
I can agree with ECW's championship and NWA's irrelevance. But calling the IWGP title a regional belt is the same as calling the WWE championship a regional belt. People from all over the world try to win this championship. In my book that's what makes it a world championship. As for ECW, I only remember that mostly Americans won that championship so I agree it can only be recognized as a regional championship, but then what would you recognize the second ECW belt?
>>
>>879427
ECW & IWGP Titles have been defended outside their home nation

They're world titles.
>>
>>879448
Ok so how would rank their prestige then with the other world titles.
>>
>>879458
IWGP would be 2nd only to WWE's
>>
Ok so let's settle a power rankings of world titles.
>1. WWE
>2. IWGP
>3. ECW
>List subject to change
>>
>>879459
>>879466
That should be linked sorry.
>>
>>879466
ECW title has been dead for a long time m8

3 would probably be CMLL's major title, 4 would be ROH
>>
>>879470
Right ok:
>/wwe/ and /asp/ updated world title prestige list
>1. WWE
>2. IWGP
>3. CMLL
>4. RoH
>>
>>879474
>List subject to change
>>
>>879492
pretty much the fluctuate
>>
>>879474
>WWE World
>World
>99% of the time the belt is defended in America and Canada against mostly Americans and only in WWE shows against other WWE workers

Should just rename it to WWE North American championship. IWGP has more prestige.
>>
IWGP belts are often defended outside the country, outside the promotion against workers who aren't contracted to NJPW.
>>
>>879424
the WWEWHC title is currently the one and only World Heavyweight Championship, the guy who has it is usually the top guy in the biz.

All-Time
1) WWE money + history + prestige
2) WCW same as above (history is a bit sketchy money was more) but they're extinct, you would still rather be a WCW champion than any of the others on the list
3) IWGP = NWA = CMLL has the history but none of the money and prestige
4) ECW = TNA = AAA = ROH = AWA World champions in their minds only.

World Championships are determined by the quality of the promotion not the talent of the performers
>>
>>879563
> /wwe/ trying to talk about pro wrestling

It's funny every time.
>>
>>879427
The Apter mags (PWI, The Wrestler) had three recognized World Champions, WWF, NWA/WCW and AWA. When the AWA went under they didn't recognize another promotions title on that level for a while. I remember Heyman saying he wanted the world title status as those publications still had some weight in the pre-internet world, which the eventually got.
>>
>>879569
>Puro marks still believe Okada is over anywhere outside of Japan

loving every laugh.
>>
>>879448
in its history the ecw belt was only defended outside the US once, maybe twice
>>
>>879581
> shitposting

And you're wrong to boot. Okada was so over during the ROH cross-promotion shows that even he was shocked by it.
>>
>>879589
All it needs is once.
>>
>>879599
>ROH
LOL
>>
>>879424
MemeXT title is not a world title. It's just a shitty developmental title.
>>
>>879615
18+

> Jewbacca
>>
>>879672
> defended in Japan + England
>>
>>879682
Don't care. Title is still a developmental one. It's on the same level as a OVW or FCW title.
>>
>>879687
> implying you know shit about OVW & FCW
>>
>>879680
Have sex you stinky ogre
>>
>>879693
MemeXT fan getting booty blasted because he doesn't want to hear the truth.
>>
>>879696
I literally don't care about you beyond pointing out your retardedness
>>
>>879698
>he mad
>>
>>879693
Search your feelings, you know it be true.
>>
>>879700
> if I say he's mad that means I win

kys
>>
>>879704
You are thought because you keep replying. Only neckbeards and autists give a crap about MemeXT.
>>
>>879711
Explains why you care so much about shitposting about it
>>
>>879563
>you would still rather be a WCW champion than any of the others on the list
I would rather hold the IWGP without a second thought.

>World Championships are determined by the quality of the promotion not the talent of the performers
top kek gtfo
>>
>>879470

You would put RoH ahead of AAA?
>>
>>879912
AAA's world title is only like 5 years old and the company itself is something of a mess lately

It's a push.
>>
Top tier
>WWE Championship - pre unification, pre coexistence with World Heavyweight Championship
>IWGP Heavyweight Championship - probably the most prestigious world title outside of the WWE today
>NWA World Heavyweight Championship - not as prestigious anymore, but it's past lineage alone carries itself
>WCW World Heavyweight Championship

High tier
>WWE Championship/World Heavyweight Championship - the two titles coexisting together in the same promotion cheapened both of them

Mid tier
>ROH World Championship
>ECW World Heavyweight Championship -
>The big Mexican and other Japanese promotion's world titles probably belong here

Low tier
>Filler world titles from smaller indie promotions like CZW, PWG, DragonGate USA

Not a world championship tier
>TNA World Championship
>NXT Championship
>WWECW Championship
>>
What the fuck is even going on with the current WWE world title? Didn't they completely shit on the lineage of their world title by claiming it's a completely new lineage since the unification? That would bump it's prestige down a few pegs under the NWA and IWGP.
>>
>>879946
NWA Title is way too high

ROH, CMLL + AAA way too low
>>
>>879914

It was created by unifying multiple titles, one of which has a lineage dating to the 1930s. Probably ahead of RoH based on history alone.
>>
>>879524
WWE is by far the world's biggest pro wrestling promotion and workers from everywhere in the world dream of performing for it and leaving their mark in it, if any title deserves the "World" bit in front of it it's theirs, especially now that it's absorbed the Big Gold Belt again.
>>
>>879951
No matter what retardation the ironically-named Creative is up to, people know better. It's the same title, same history and whether you like WWE or not it's the biggest title in the business.
>>
>>879946
>>NWA World Heavyweight Championship - not as prestigious anymore, but it's past lineage alone carries itself

You should keep in mind that both the WWE/WCW Titles (long ago combined) and the IWGP titles are all splits offs from the NWA World Title. The current NWA title that gets carted around the indies and NJPW has less claim to that heritage due to the time it spent dormant, people only pay attention to it due to the name and using the classic design. The WWE World Heavyweight Championship has the best claim to being the true successor to the old NWA belt going back to the original unification of world rasslin.
>>
>>879951
The funny thing is that the unification was a really minor one, just combining it with HHH's fake WCW Title that barely has 10 years of heritage. And they never said to be restarting anything when they combined it with the WCW title, which WAS a big deal
>>
>>879951
When did they ever say this? I'm pretty sure it's the WHC which is now essentially defunct.
>>
>>880292
The Big Gold WHC has nothing to do with the WCW or NWA championships.
>>
>>880500
WWE bought WCW, took its belt, fused it into their own then brought it back out and then fused them again. You might not like it, but WWE's big gold belt is the direct followup to WCW's and thus carries its legacy.
>>
>>879711
Please explain what is wrong nxt without writing the word 'meme', using buzzwords or acting like a belligerent child
>>
>>880624
^
>>
>>880499
I remember them saying things on air that Orton was the first ever WWE World Heavyweight Champion when he unified the two belts. It seemed like they were going for the same thing they did with the Divas title so that current divas can have claims like being the first ever Divas champion or being the longest running divas champion, since the old records are pretty much untouchable with current booking. But it looks like they completely dropped that idea when they realized how stupid it was.
>>
First of all, neither ROH nor TNA are indie companys. An indy company is, for example, AAW.

As for the championships thing:

Prestige based on pro-wrestling quality:

>1. IWGP
>2. ROH
>3. NXT
>4. WWE
>5. TNA
>6. NWA

Prestige of the championship itself:

>1. WWE
>2. IWGP
>3. ROH
>4. TNA
>5. NWA
>6. NXT
>>
>>880536
Eh he's kinda right, HHH's Big Gold belt never claimed the WCW legacy.
>>
>>880671
Well no, because WWE is famously adverse to admitting that other wrestling companies exist and the less people were reminded about how good WCW was and how shitty the Invasion was booked, the better. Mind you, I don't like that this is what became of WCW's prize, but it's a fact of life that WWE's Big Gold Belt is the continuation of WCW's.
>>
>>879880
then you wake up with Okada's paycheck and kill yourself.

name one WCW champion other than Arquette and Jarrett who made less than 7 figures while working for Billionaire Ted and this was 15 years ago.

there's a reason NJPW lost all their top stars in a week.
>>
>>884901
Money isn't everything m8. IWGP has a massive amount of hipster cred attached to it. Okada is going to go down as one of the biggest Japanese wrestlers of all time. He's going to be loved and respected by Japanese wrestling fans and he'll be known as a legitimate legend. Ziggler, Swagger and The Miz will never be worshiped like that by the WWE fans. WCW guys like Big Show, Buff Bagwell, Booker T, Scott Steiner, none of them are revered by wrestling fans today. People want Big Show to fucking retire and Scott Steiner is just an elaborate meme that's more entertaining because of his unintentionally hilarious promos.
>>
>>884911
Booker T is a bit too good for that list. He may not be revered, but he's certainly respected.
>>
>>880346
Has anyone done an angle where they brought back a dead championship and made the argument that this belt has a stronger legacy than the other top belt and there they believe it is the top belt and will start defending it or at least acting like they believe it is worth defending. Might not work now with the WWE World Heavyweight Championship but bringing back Big Gold for an angle as a "Bastard" Championship to meld back in after the angle was done seems like it could be a fun thing.
>>
>>884901
lol Okada is earning more money than you can even conceive of
>>
>>884914
His commentary work knocks him down a few pegs. He sounds like so, I don't know, sterilized. Same thing with JBL. They're both former would champions and they're giving off this vibe like Michael Cole has made them his bitches.
>>
>>884934
Booker T was hilarious on commentary in like...2011
>>
>>884934
It would have to knock him into a universe without pegs to put him on the Big Show's level.
>>
>>879424
Out of current belts, the most prestigious are probably ranked like
>1.IWGP Title (The IWGP IC Title would go here too if it counted)
biggest wrestling company besides WWE, and these belts have been booked great.
>2.WWE WHC
same as IWGP, Bork and Rollins both had long, based reigns (besides rollins' booking on TV.) but the tossing between Ramen and Sheamus has made it matter less, Reigns needs to put the belt over more.
>3.ROH Title
Lethal is on a fucking roll since beating Briscoe, who had his long ass undefeated streak. This belt has looked important as fuck since Steen held it.
>4.NXT & Lucha Underground titles
Balor's reign has been based, not to mention he beat Owen's for it just after the Cena win. There's only been two LU champions and Muertes looked invincible at the end of Season 1.
>5. AAA Title
ADR has been ruined since coming back to WWE, I hear the belt is still vacant.
>6. TNA Title
TNA's not at it's worst, but it isn't particularly good right now, as far as I know. I doubt it's as prestigious now as when Angle, AJ or even Lashley had it.
>7.NWA title
'nuff said.
>>
>>884952
>Reigns needs to put the belt over

I don't think he knows how to put something over
>>
>be WWE champion
>you're a celebrity all around the world
>make huge money

>be IWGP champion
>not even the people in your own country care about you
>outside of japan, only neckbeards know who you are
>make less money than a midcarder in WWE

why is this even a debate?
>>
>>879524
WWE doesn't bring the belt to outlaws, they bring the outlaws to them and turn them into professional wreslters
>>
>>879572
As I recall, WWC was in that list as well, at least for a while. I remember thinking "I have no idea who this Carlos Colón is but he must be a big deal if he's on the same level as Flair/Bockwinkel/Hogan."
>>
>>879424

1. IWGP / New Japan
2. WWE
3. CMLL
4. All Japan
5. ROH
>>
>>885111
>posts without reading the thread
>>
>>879424
The ROH and TNA one's look like utter shit
>>
>>885620
>MemeXT
> a world title

Still better than the WWE and MemeXT ones.
That being said, I still prefer this version of the TNA title.
>>
>>879437
a wwe midcard belt probably.
>>
>tfw wwe, cmll, AAA, njwp, tna, and nwa, will never host a one night only winner take all champions tournament like they did with their junior weight/cruiserweight titles.
>>
>>885665
That one was neat because you see the silver blended with gold, the new one is generic as fuck with a horrible font.

The NXT one looks pretty neat because how simplistic it is
>>
I've always wondered, if another company with a world title is going to go out of business couldn't they just have someone win and lose it over and over until they break Ric Flairs record?
>>
Everyone knows the Million Dollar Championship is the greatest belt.
>>
>>885881
Sure. But any wrestler who knowingly agrees to participate in something this underhanded would get a shit ton of heat and would probably be blacklisted by the WWE or any other promotion who has any sense of respect for Ric Flair and his accomplishments. Plus a massive influx of title changes would just cheapen the world title itself making his accomplishment pointless.
>>
>>884998
>>make less money than a midcarder in WWE

Show your working.
>>
WWE WHC is a fucking joke. It changes constantly and rarely given to a deserving worker. PWG title is more respectable than that.
>>
>>879437
The IWGP isn't a world championship. They don't call it a world championship. It's a Heavyweight championship.
>>
>>886066
Probably because the "International" in its name makes calling it World redundant

It's the top title of a major promotion defended in multiple nations.

A World Title.
>>
>>879687
>He thinks NXT is still a developmental brand just because WWE says it is.
Let me guess, you think every match in Wrestlemania is a main event, don't you?
>>
>>886096
>It's the top title of a major promotion defended in multiple nations.
barely maybe.
>>
It's way too early to rank LU (Even though Puma's reign was awesome) but it's definitely the best looking belt
Thread posts: 85
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.