[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Trying to find a good martial art for me. I went to a local muay

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 12

File: VK9ws.jpg (200KB, 1067x1600px) Image search: [Google]
VK9ws.jpg
200KB, 1067x1600px
Trying to find a good martial art for me. I went to a local muay thai gym and they told me literally that instead of trying to counter a kick, or use footwork, i should just try to kick harder than the other guy.

What is the best striking martial art for a smart person?
>>
Boxing. Its called the sweet science for a reason. All these ching chong arts are either bullshit mysticism or just "be stronger".
>>
>>844182
A gun.
>>
>>844190
i live in the uk anon
>>
>>844191
good, chances are the guy you're fighting won't have one then
>>
>>844182
Sounds like you went to a shit Muay Thai gym, anon. Muay Thai does shin checks to block kicks, footwork to dodge, and is big on counters (sweeps, kicks to exposed hamstring, etc). Not that that's much good to you if there's no one there to teach you that, though.
>>
Karate. Boxing is for poor minorities. Muay thai is, as you have noticed, for dumb rice paddy workers. Anything chinese is trying to rip you off.

Kyokushin karate, however, is the true way of manly men.
>>
Please post that chart, I'm away from home and don't have it.
>>
>>844218
Kyo, Is cool, but they seem to beat the shit out of each other, and I don't think it what OP wants. Any striking art would probably work as long as the place he goes supports him in being more of a footwork or counter kind of guy. Boxing seems pretty good for that. I mean, grappling is an option, but who knows if he's even interested in it
>>
>>844191

Why you posted a picture with german book titles then? You are lying, anon.

>i should just try to kick harder than the other guy

Probably just a drill for leg conditioning..

Anyway, you want Boxing and Judo. Don't you have free Judo in the UK?
>>
>>844218
Kyo is also for wannabe weebs who feel the need to talk shit so that they can feel tougher than they actually are
>>
>>848415
Anon, insecure people will latch on to anything they can get their hands on. Just like that weeb latched onto kyo, you latched onto stooping to weebs levels on imageboards. Can't we all just get along?
>>
>>848415

Actually Kyo guys are pretty humble.

The Kyo philosophy is:
Keep your head low (modesty), eyes high (ambition), mouth shut (serenity).

You are right about the " wannabe weebs" part, though.
>>
>>844182
Judo.
>>
ninjutsu
>>
>>844182
Who is this python patron?
>>
>>844189
>implying `be stronger` isn't important/ mediocre and not a focus of martial arts
>implying arts like Muay Thai, karate, jujitsu are `mysticism`
Nice nutriding faggot
>>
>>844218
Goju is better ;^)
>>
I don't know what kind of gym you went to, but Muay Thai is a great sport just try to find a different gym maybe.

Not a striking sport but wrestling is also very good, wipes you into shape, very technical sport, and fast paced. There's also Boxing which in my opinion isn't as fun or as good. sports like kung-fu and karate aren't practical and many gyms don't know much about the sport and kinda just hand out belts, but it is very disciplined and can be practical if you train at a good gym.
>>
>>844182
MMA is the for intelligent people.
One martial art is for poor people.
>>
>>844182
intelligence in regard to ma is being able to choose the right combination for every specific moment
the amount of combinations is limited by the rules and by the number of techniques
based on that, id say mma requires more thinking, as it is less predictable and requires actual tactics and cage control
>>
>>844182
>i should just try to kick harder than the other guy.

Maybe stop being a little bitch and actually train to kick harder than the other guy you fucking little faggot
>>
>>851521
Too bad wrestling literally doesn't exist outside of middle/high school and some universities in America
>>
>>844182
>What is the best striking martial art for a smart person?
for what purpose? if you want to beat up faggots behind clubs/bars: learn to do basic boxing + lift

if you want something without any connection to the real world to circlejerk and feel superior while being shit: non-kontact karate or other weeaboo martial arts

want something with technique but where you wont get beaten up? BJJ/grappling

are you a women/physically weaker/smaller guy that feels threatened, is not retarded and doesnt start fights but is wary of crime/attacks? krav maga/mugging
>>
File: sole-butt-kicks-irl.gif (4MB, 272x190px) Image search: [Google]
sole-butt-kicks-irl.gif
4MB, 272x190px
>>852580
>if you want to beat up faggots behind clubs/bars: learn to do basic boxing + lift
If you want to beat up faggots who can't fight, Kickboxing is the best thing to do. You can destroy them with kicks before they can even get close enough to do anything, and you can block or evade the occasional punch if they get in because you didn't practice kicking enough.
>>
File: bjj on the streets.gif (2MB, 232x116px) Image search: [Google]
bjj on the streets.gif
2MB, 232x116px
>>852580
>want something with technique but where you wont get beaten up? BJJ/grappling
>>
>>852590
but its harder to do and you may slip/fall/get off balance (as a noob anyway). boxing is easier and less "risky".

>>852593
not beaten up in regular training I mean. OP may have a job where he can not appear with the occasional black eye.
>>
>>852595

Learn to use makeup, you faggots.
>>
>>844182
Well if you want to strike while countering and using footwork you should take up boxing.
>>
File: taekwondo.gif (2MB, 360x202px) Image search: [Google]
taekwondo.gif
2MB, 360x202px
>>853920
No, you should learn Taekwondo if you want to strike while countering and using footwork.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zEwwumeK2c
>>
File: epin kick.jpg (38KB, 447x252px) Image search: [Google]
epin kick.jpg
38KB, 447x252px
>>853947
EPIN TAEKWONDO GIF BREAKDOWN:

>red is waiting to counter, focused attentively at blue
>being out of front kicking range, blue steps in and uses a front leg snap kick
>red uses the turn of the turning back kick to evade blue's attack, while also jumping and chambering his back kick
>red then releases the back kick with precision right at blue's head while blue's kick was recovering
>blue tried to bring his arms up to block while his leg was recovering, but red was just too fast for blue
>>
>>851728
I don't think the fighters are mentally referencing a dictionary of combinations from 7 different disciplines when there's a fist flying at them. It ain't chess. A lot of it is muscle memory from being drilled on the same strikes and defenses ten thousand times each. And there's a line between "breaking rigid ma boundaries" and "just pummeling on caveman instinct". Ideally they drill the best aspects of each selected discipline into subconscious movements.

If there's a cerebral martial art, it's BJJ, because you have enough time between each position to form a structured plan.
>>
>>854390
2/10 b8
it's like you're not even trying m8
>>
>>853952

Blue's kick was garbage. There wasn't actually any evasion to it. Blue could have landed his crap kick to the kidney.

You know a good way to block when recovering? Keep your fucking hands up in the first place.

Red won by not completely sucking as badly as blue.
>>
>>852593

>black guy is losing the fight

> a dozen of black guys friends jump in to fuck the other guy up, wielding bats

Striking, grappling, doesn't matter. That guy was fucked from the get go.
>>
>>854902
if he was a striker mainly a boxer he could have stayed moving around knocking nigs out. Striker is superior to grappling on the streets for that alone. Being able to handle swarms.
>>
>>854911

He also could have run the fuck away.
>>
>>854911
Kek this shit is completely retarded. Do you think that every boxer alive has this anime knockout power that enables them to defeat ten people with bats and clubs? You're fucked in that situation, period.
>>
>>855035
there are plenty of youtubes, liveleaks and WSHH where nigs are getting one shot from boxing punches.

Boxing is the best for street fights.
>>
File: parkour-gifs-20-gifs_9.gif (2MB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
parkour-gifs-20-gifs_9.gif
2MB, 400x225px
>>854902
>>854911

>>855032
This.

9 times out of 10, Parkour is the superior physical discipline to maintain one's physical well being when faced against those who intend to compromise said physical well being.
>>
>>855240
>>
>>844182
muay thai/boxing + bjj/judo/wrestling
>>
>>844189

Because power and durability are never a deciding factor in boxing.

Retarded.
>>
>>855246
lol no

Muay Thai(best) + Kyokushin Karate(intermediate) + Boxing(worst, but good supplemental art) & Judo + Wrestling + BJJ (all three in unison to cover their weaknesses of specialization).

The Muay Thai/Kickboxing/Boxing + Judo/Wrestling/BJJ meme is for people who live in shitty areas, and can't think for themselves.
>>
>>855264
It's just a lost of common enough shit that isn't bad. Disregarding something blindly is as bad as blindly agreeing. Obviously is should depend on what has the best instruction in an area.
>>
>>855268
>Obviously is should depend on what has the best instruction in an area.
Then it should go without saying that even if one area has better instruction, a superior art such as Muay Thai will yield more fruits than supperior instructions of Boxing when it comes to usefulness in MMA, Kickboxing, and 1vs1 on the streets, because the Muay Thai instruction would have to be substantially lacking, and the Boxing instruction would have to be substantially better (not just better) due to Boxing's limited practices and usefulness due to it being more of a sport than martial fighting discipline.
>>
>>855275
I think you just don't like boxing m8. If op cares about muh streetz, then boxing is sufficient because he can be a counterpuncher, and most people you meet on the street aren't gonna be martial arts masters. At which point he may as well learn grappling since the most likely thing you're gonna find on the street are shitty boxers, shitty kickboxers, or out of practice high school wrestlers.
>>
>>855396
>then boxing is sufficient because he can be a counterpuncher
It may be sufficient most of the time, but that just means it might possible be good enough.
Practicing a better art would make it less risky.

>At which point he may as well learn grappling
Just grappling leaves you severely impaired when it comes to "that point".
He might as well start a training in a good modern hybrid-art MMA gym; it's 2016.
>>
File: Current year.jpg (78KB, 500x407px) Image search: [Google]
Current year.jpg
78KB, 500x407px
>>855561
Course he might. We don't know anything about his preferences though, other than
>muh thinking man
>>
>>855565
I'll explain
>2016
to you.

It's been shown that throughout history, when society is thriving, thinking advances. Technology improves, becomes more efficient, becomes different, and becomes more fruitful.

So to does so happen with other things, art, businesses, as well as martial arts.

With martial arts, as time progresses, people tend to refine their arts, changing them, trying new things, making them more efficient and fruitful. It is a continuous process, and humans haven't perfected martial arts yet, but it remains.
More and more martial artists are realizing that the weaknesses of one art can be compensated by others.
So rather than being some passive aggressive remark, it summarizes something more profound, which shouldn't be too difficult to imagine if you're not some stupid ass fucking dipshit idiot who lacks the basic ability to think and comprehend.
>>
>>855240
>9 times out of 10, Parkour is the superior physical discipline to maintain one's physical well being when faced against those who intend to compromise said physical well being.
Only if you live in a favela.

Different places, different architecture.

Civilized countries tend to be built flat.
>>
Guess ill ask here instead of making a new thread
I have a bum knee that dislocates when i bend it at a moments notice if im not careful. Are there any martial arts where that wouldnt be a problem?
>>
>>854390
it is funny how you mentioned chess
because masters in chess rely on memory of the countless games they played, while beginners use only logic (there is an actual study where they measured brain activity in different regions)
so yes, fighters are actually referencing a dictionary of moves, but kinda subconsciously
>>
>>856626
>Civilized countries tend to be built flat.
Running is more of a part of actual Parkour than showreels will have you imagine.
Also, there're still rails and stairs in civilized area, not to mention the architecture made to accommodate mountainous areas and areas with a lot of hills.
>>
>>856931
>while beginners use only logic
It takes out some of the fun if you rely too heavily on memory.

>so yes, fighters are actually referencing a dictionary of moves, but kinda subconsciously
How heavily a fighter uses one thing relies on the fighter.
>>
>>853952
Dat ass
>>
File: kohinata_v01_059.jpg (101KB, 728x1072px) Image search: [Google]
kohinata_v01_059.jpg
101KB, 728x1072px
>>844218
>>844218
>Kyokushin karate, however, is the true way of manly men.
Mutou confirms
>>
>>855572
>So rather than being some passive aggressive remark, it summarizes something more profound, which shouldn't be too difficult to imagine if you're not some stupid ass fucking dipshit idiot who lacks the basic ability to think and comprehend.
Jeez man calm down
>It's 2016
is a meme
I agree with what your saying as things do change but that doesn't mean older things can't be just as good or are obsolete. I think that's where other anon was coming from, the '2016' argument is almost always used as some blanket statement backed up by nothing that memelords spew. Do you really want to get into the territory of people like SJW's who spew similar things about 'patriarchy' and 'oppression' and other such nonsensical buzzwords without thinking whatsoever about the topics their discussing and summarily dismissing anyone point of view just because it's 'offensive'
>"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function"
>-F. Scott Fitzgerald
>>
>>857273
>>"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function"
What a stupid quote.
>>
>>857273
>Jeez man calm down
FUCK YOU!
>>
>>844195
FUCK, my sides.
>>
>>851736
This.
>>
Entry level: Boxing
You've got some free time level: Boxing + Wrestling
You want to be able to kick some serious ass after a time: Boxing with one-two MT's a week + Grappling (both takedowns and groundwork).
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.