[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/mag/ - martial arts general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 15

File: 1503801050751.jpg (88KB, 1424x648px) Image search: [Google]
1503801050751.jpg
88KB, 1424x648px
Previous thread:
>>3065403

Find an MMA Gym in the USA:http://www.findmmagym.com/

Styles of fighting:
http://www.ufc.com/discover/fighter/martialArtsStyles

BlackBeltWiki, great source of info, trivia and help:
http://www.blackbeltwiki.com/

Lifting for MMA:
http://breakingmuscle.com/strength-conditioning/how-to-train-strength-and-conditioning-for-mma

Beware the MCDOJOS:
http://mcdojo-faq.tripod.com

WHAT TO LOOK FOR IN A MARTIAL ARTS GYM:
•Physically conditioned, fit participants
•Trainer with certified professional record and a training history with at least one athlete who competes successfully
•Sparring, "aliveness" in training
•At least one participant competes at amateur or professional level
•Physical conditioning part of training

WHAT TO BE WARY OF:
•Fat, physically subpar students and instructor
•Graduation fees (e.g. "pay $200 and advance to next belt extra quick!")
•No proven athletes training there
•No sparring, moves shown are choreographed (e.g. "the attacker does this, then I do this, then you do this...")
•Cult-like atmosphere
•No physical conditioning

>YOUTUBE CHANNELS ON FIGHTING
https://www.youtube.com/user/LawrenceKenshin
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVfmHpXONv-LVACBV68tq5Q
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl3zMJRgefZm7ELHkIp-xDA
https://www.youtube.com/user/GracieBreakdown
https://www.youtube.com/user/StephanKesting
https://www.youtube.com/user/theKravMagaTraining
https://www.youtube.com/user/CombatSportsTapes
>>
File: sea otter.jpg (166KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
sea otter.jpg
166KB, 1024x768px
Took my "control over submission" meme to new heights this weekend.

>rolling with coach
>he's playing half guard
>starts going for my back
>trap his elbow below my armpit in front of me
>he continues going for my back
>focus on keeping his elbow and wrist under control in front of me
>he sinks in the hooks
>tap him with straight ude garami arm lock
>hfw
>>
File: bmup.jpg (21KB, 400x327px) Image search: [Google]
bmup.jpg
21KB, 400x327px
>>
>>3080225
How practical is Judo? I want to learn grappling and my area only offers that and bjj
>>
>>3080225
Is there a dating site equivalent for finding sparring partners? I want to roll with people outside gym hours but don't have who to roll with
>>
>>3080981
Pretty practical - most throws can also be executed no-gi with slight grip adjustments - as long as you find a club that does randori on the regular.
>>
>>3080981
Extremely. It gives you great throws, trips, and takedowns as well as groundfighting. BJJ is great too, but it's a bit pricey. Judo is cheap as fuck.
>>
>>3081226
Just find a fags on grindr so you can both fight and fuck him.
>>
>>3081273
>>3081331
That's good to know.

Why is judo so cheap?
>>
Anyone else strives to be a UFC fighter?
>>
>>3081817
i had dreams of at least getting into some amateur fights, but then i had to start showing symptoms of a genetic nervous disease that's affecting my legs. i still want to get back into training and at least do some sparring at my kwoon, but waiting for the diagnosis has put me in the dumps
>>
>>3081619
In my area it is mostly ran by volunteers / for scholarships so that might be why
>>
>>3081619
Most of the time it isn't for profit, or run like a business like most bjj. Quick thing that the other guys didn't mention, the learning curve can be pretty steep depending on you, but if you stick with it and git gud you can ragdoll people. And depending on ypur club you can even het basic groundwork.
>>
Fuark guys just came back from my second BJJ class, how long until you get used to rug burns on your feet?
Also got to roll with the instructor and he said he was impressed by me which was neat.
>>
>>3082299
You don't get used to them, you stop having them by moving correctly eventually. Couple months and you'll find them mostly a thing of the past. You'll eventually have one or two a year that are mildly bothersome.
>>
>>3081817
If you could avoid being injured permanently, yes
>>
>>3080225
>WHAT TO LOOK FOR IN A MARTIAL ARTS GYM:

be unbiased and objective to see anything in the first place.
- the coaches Are knowledgeable
- the coaches are able to evaluate students objectively
- the coaches can use their knowledge to solve problems and answer questions logically
- the physical conditioning methods follow scientifically valid facts
- in turn, people develop skill, people have fun, because of the fact that that's what makes a good gym, not despite the fact.
>>
>>3081817
I don't care to do it, because I know I can do it. Furthermore I know without question I could be a champion in bellator. I think prize fighting is a dumb way of making money.
>>
>>3083161
How would someone new know if the teacher is knowledgeable and if what he says is not bullshit?
>>
I'm looking to get into martial arts. I'm a male, I'm 5'8", and around 130 pounds. What martial art is best for me.
>>
>>3084963
The one you want to do
>>
>>3084883
If you ask them a question and they can't really explain it other than "because I told you so and I'm the instructor"
>>
>>3085106
Well sometimes they're just tired of your shit
And when they explain it it might be a retarded argument but you can't know it
>>
>>3084963
You need to gain weight
>>
>>3083161
This dude >>3084883
Has a point. A novice won't be able to recognize those things.
>>
File: dux2.jpg (59KB, 500x339px) Image search: [Google]
dux2.jpg
59KB, 500x339px
Kisama...
>>
>>3080225
If I'm training twice a week, how much should I be weightlifting. I just started martial arts and prior I was going to the gym 4 times a week with a focus on compound barbell exercises. Would four days still be too much? I don't care about being tired, more just not damaging myself in the long run.
>>
>>3081817

The problem is you have to start young. Not even because you can't fight above 30 or (in some martial arts) even 40, but the older you get, the less time you have. You need a lot of time to train, later in life a lot of things happen (wife+kids, job, other hobbies...).

>>3086475

It depends.
What martial arts do you train in? Different sports affect different muscle groups.
What are your physical attributes? If you look like hulk you might lift more than others.
What are your training goals? A semi-pro thai boxer trains differently from a hobby martial artist that does Aikido.

You can either ask your trainer. Or you just do some strengths basics - there are more than enough sources for that. The important part is to not overdo it. Start slowly and gradually (!) raise the excercises. It suck a lot if you can't train for two weeks because you overdid it or even fuck up your joints..
>>
File: 20170830_084625.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20170830_084625.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>3086513
>What martial arts
I'm starting Judo. Long term, I'd like to include Muay Thai but that's for later.

>What are your physical attributes
Physically I focus on barbell and bodyweight so I'm bulky (pic related) but can do 1 arm 1 leg pushups and pistol squats. I'd like to keep lifting regularly.

>Training goals
I want to take it seriously, both for self-defence and possibly compete at least locally if I get the hang of it.
>>
What are your dudes thoughts on Aikido. This is the first martial art I'm starting. Is it a beta boy martial art, and am I gonna cuck myself?
>>
>be writing comic with friend
>he wants to do it in starbucks
>be in band with friend, he wants to practice in a busy public park
>be skating with friend, he wants to skate in the most popular skatepark in the area
>be practicing martial arts with friend, he wants to practice it at the beach where everyone can see
It's the same fucking guy. He always wants to go out of the way to where people are at. I just want to practice, I don't want everybody to see me do things all the time. He ends up making us (me) look like self absorbed show off faggots who wants everyone to see how cool we (I) are (am).
>>
>>3088010
aikido is notorious for compliance training and McDojo sales techniques. i'd personally avoid it, but if you've scoped the place and it seems to be what you want to do, go for it
>>
We're supposed to post RIP in the comments because Anon got dubs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hw0HhEJPgEM
>>
Help guys.. I pierced my ear a few weeks ago and i'm worried that if i take the stud out for my mma training the hole will close. I pierced it two momths ago.
>>
>>3088010
Just know you're not learning how to fight, at all.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MZZuLJj6vU

This is actually pretty interesting.

>chop
It's a backfist.

>plebs
>>
>>3088010
You'll also probably get better balance and learn how to take a fall.

The downside is that the vast majority of aikido schools don't train with any sort of resistance.Your aikido moves won't work outside the dojo because you've never practiced them against anybody who isn't halfway throwing themselves for you.

>>3088083
The holes not going to close up by taking it out for a couple of hours when you practice and it's better than having your ear lobe ripped.
>>
>>3088083
Ear piercings for guys is super lame, are you a femanon?
>>
>>3084883
This video is about guns, but it's pretty applicable to martial arts.

https://youtu.be/N1Sw8fe9hJI
>>
Does it matter what kind of resistance bands I get if I want to do uchikomi? Will a 20 dollar walmart band enough or do I get something fancy like the Neil Adams bands.
>>
me and my friend would play game to help us wrestle better

i would pretend to be one of the girls at our school, and he would be a rapist

he had to pin me down as aggressively as he could, while i just had to prevent it

it was pretty funny to see everyone's faces while i screamed "no, my pussy! it hurts, stop!"

the coach didn't make us stop he was probably into it

just felt like sharing, try it out with your buddies to get better at wrestling
>>
File: o_sensei.png (225KB, 651x800px) Image search: [Google]
o_sensei.png
225KB, 651x800px
>>3088010
Ask them which tradition/organization they belong to or carry out. The majority of schools are affiliated with the aikikai or its immediate branches and unquestioningly adhere to O-sensei Ueshiba Morihei's 1955-onward training philosophy which prioritized mystic spiritual harmony over martial efficacy. Yoseikan, Yoshinkan, and Shodokan/Tamiki aikido prioritize self-defense and train with strikes and uncooperative opponents (at least after the first few kyus), and Shodokan even holds competitions. Sadly these seem to be pretty rare overall especially in the USA.

It's possible you can luck out and get a teacher who is aware of the aiki-jujutsu background and can show you how to make the techniques viable in a civilian self-defense scenario. The guy who held a seminar I attended was an ex-soldier with boxing and wrestling training who started aikido late in life and would show us the "not so nice" versions of the techniques after the practice with a compliant uke, but again it's a crapshoot.

If you want to wear magic bushido pants and roll around that bad, though (I sure did), it won't hurt to try. If you can't find anything but a hippy school, though, then you might be able to get practical use out of it if you first train in a more resisting grappling martial art. Historically, aikido was meant to be a capstone for students who already had martial arts training.
>>
>lifting
Don't do this.
>>
>>3088689
Resistance band uchikomi are a meme. Resistance bands will not accurately mimic the weight distribution of a body, nor will they give you feedback on body placement like an uke will. You are better off spending that time lifting weights or doing pull ups

But if you insist, don't waste money on bands. Just ask an old bike shop for old inner tubes.
>>
>>3089292
I just wish I had more time to practice desu. One of my TKDfriends might join if there are no good tkd or kickboxing places nearby that are cheap enough.
>tfw no martial autist friend to be ken and ryu
>>
>>3089284
Why not?
>>
>>3080225
So i have a question for yall, i would love to learn a martial art, it would help my future career and all that, so to do this, before i start doing anything, id like to know what stretching i should do until ive reached a good point. I run 4 miles a day at about 10mph so im not too worried about not being fit enough, but flexibility seems like it would be paramount.
>>
>>3090796
>id like to know what stretching i should do
Always warm up before stretching, always stretch before exercising.
Don't do static stretching before exercising, do dynamic stretching any time.
Never, ever, do ballistic stretching.
Don't neglect any muscles, people often forget things like their lower back, biceps, and wrists.
>>
>>3090767
1. Limits your range of movement if you gain muscle mass
2. Potentially develops bad habits when you use strength over technique
3. Waste of time, sparring is all you need
>>
>>3091176
1 bullshit
2 'potentially' lol
3 bullshit
>>
File: 1435747306929.jpg (61KB, 472x874px) Image search: [Google]
1435747306929.jpg
61KB, 472x874px
>>3091176
Wanna know how I know you'll strain your back?
>>
File: 1490560188116.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1490560188116.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>3091176
Yeah, you're a cuck.
>what a nice bump.
>>3089284
Do lift, but lift smart. conditioning is needed. but not as much as the average /fit/ gymbro.
>>
>>3091176
Pretty much this...
Don't ever rely on muscle mass and power

technique and speed wins over power every time.

Not to say lifting is totally useless though. If done correctly and not for mass
>>
>>3092212
>Has only fought within your weight class
>>
>>3092212
that's not true. That's the myth and the hope everyone has and all charlatans push, to be able to crack the code and have technique so precise that physicality is a non-factor and all you need is proper timing and understanding of positions and anyone can be beaten.

it's not true, it never has been true.
having good technique can help you even the odds, but it will never tip them in your favor if someone is sufficiently stronger than you

even a mechanical advantage in a submission can be gorillad out of. We have one big back guy at the club with terrible technique, but hes a mover and is the strongest man on earth because of it. he's going to just do a bicep curl to power out of an arm bar, or bench press you right off if you get mount.
there's really nothing you can do about it.
>>
>>3092274
If you think power is key your sorely mistaken

> implying I've not had to fight in self defense against a bigger opponent
>>
Is it good to roll with dudes 50-80 pounds heavier?
>>
>>3092413
always
>>
>>3092408
it is objectively the thing that matters more than anything else. This is why weight classes exist, because if not then every contender would be 6'4"+ 250+ and nobody else would stand a chance out there
>>
>>3092407
Sounds like you're a bjj or JJ practitioner so I don't really know much about it.

Sounds like a good way to actively improve though ( and prove me right )

I have a background in kyo and boxing/kickboxing and size and power mean very little to me ( I'm rather big myself 6'3 100kgs )
But I've had my butt handed to me by more technical fighters who were smaller than I am, as I have planted guys on the street much bigger than me.
So in my experience power is nice but you don't want to rely on it because there's always gonna be someone you can't overpower, as you said speed and technique gives an edge but IMHO power can be beaten by speed and technique.
>>
I'm coming very close to quitting because of one guy at the gym making my experience unfun.

his hygiene leaves something to be desired, he does gross shit like stick his cheesy skuzzy feet in your face when he doesn't know what to do as a deterrent or something, and he's farting all time which happens but he doesn't even excuse himself or walk to the side, he just blows it in the middle of drilling all the time.
I left class early because his shorts smelled so bad, we were doing just some omoplatas to warm up and I almost gagged on the smell that he kicked up. It was a vinegary, cheesy, urine smell.

Here's the worst part, for some reason he keeps gravitating towards me and always hovers around and grabs me when people are getting partners.
on top of that he sucks, he's newish but he's not new enough that he should be this bad, it's been about 5 months and he doesn't even understand basic fundamental movements yet, so while everybody is drilling techniques, I'm stuck teaching him how to frame and hip escape and shit because you need to do that before you can even do the moves, or more importantly a partner that an do those things so you get the correct reaction to do moves against.
>>
>>3092665
Why don't you say something to the instructor?
Granted I don't know what bjj is like but I'd have bolted the fuck out that place
>>
>>3092724
its not so simple. The instructor is whomevers there at the time that's the most competent/has something they would like to share. The owner only pops in once or twice a week to check in and show some stuff and he usually leaves. The senior members have keys and run the show most nights.

basically short of me telling him "you smell like shit, you need to shower and wash your clothes, also stop picking me as your partner every day" there's not much I can do
>>
File: image.jpg (150KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
150KB, 1280x800px
Would these be a good alternative to wrestling shoes, for grappling?

I literally CANNOT find a pair of wrestling shoes that fit my wide feet.
>>
>>3093139
no coach or instructor will let you on their mats, even vans, or canvas shoes' treads will tear, scuff, and damage their mats over a few times. and mats are expensive as shit
>>
>>3093147
Do you know any alternatives?
>>
File: one hand sode.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
one hand sode.webm
3MB, 640x360px
>>
File: sliding drop tai otoshi.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
sliding drop tai otoshi.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>3093139
Well the most trusted brand of wrestling shoes are asics, you can shop around and see since they have a huge variety, i got 2 pairs myself and they fit my feet pretty wide, i do have slightly wide feet,

other brands would be adidas wrestling and nike wrestling but those name brands are pretty pricey
>>
File: seoi nage.webm (3MB, 852x480px) Image search: [Google]
seoi nage.webm
3MB, 852x480px
>>
File: counter to seoi uki waza.webm (3MB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
counter to seoi uki waza.webm
3MB, 640x640px
>>
File: mongol lift.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
mongol lift.webm
3MB, 640x360px
>>
>>
>>3081273
There was a joke app asvertisedan awhile back called rumblr which was supposed to be tinder for getting into fights.

It was never actually a real thing but I kind of wish it was. Sounds like a blast.
>>
>>3084963
You are what you dedicate yourself too. You're height and weight are insignificant compared to staying consistent with your training.

If you enjoy what you're training, you'll stick with it and git gud. If you dont, you'll get lazy and probably stop going, which is what happens with most prospective students in non-mcdojo martial arts. Don't bother starting something if you don't think you'll stick with it.
>>
>>3091176
Lifting prevents you from getting your joints obliterated. Everyone should lift if they're an athlete.
>>
>>3094086
>>3094086
>>
>>3085118
>teacher tired of questions so they just decide not to teach

Wow, what a great trainer you must be.
>>
>>3094090
It's pretty annoying when some smartass comments on everything
>>
>>3092413
As long as you don't get injured or neglect rolling against people of your own weight, it's all nice and dandy.
>>
>>3092413

It's pretty difficult.

>>3092535

You are not completely wrong. But I would say:

Fighting strength = [Physical attributes] * [Technique and Skill] * [Experience in similar situations] * [will to fight and determination] * [Luck]

You can compensate each area to some extend, but if the difference is getting too big, you get a big disadvantage.

See how Ryu Narushima fights against Filho (at the end of the video). Even though Narushima is one of the greatest fighters ever, Filho just shoves him out of the ring - the body mass difference is just way too big:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlQogr724Aw

>>3094090
>>3094097

You're both right..

A teacher should be able to answer a simple question like "what is the reason for doing it this way?" or "why can't I simply do it this way?". Pupils asking questions are generally good, but you can't question everything. Because if you are a complete newbie, there are just so many things you don't know. A teacher just can't explain a complete system with all details in a few words.

So sometimes you just have to say: "When you reach the next level, it will all make sense. But for now you just have to trust me and do it this way."
The more "technical" a martial art, the longer it takes to get all the details.
Thread posts: 80
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.