[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dog General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 317
Thread images: 58

File: 263457484673456234.jpg (998KB, 1000x1169px) Image search: [Google]
263457484673456234.jpg
998KB, 1000x1169px
Dog General - Priority Shipping Edition

For finding out how good a particular brand of dog food is - https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com

>What should I feed my dog?
>What breed of dog should I get?
>How do I train my dog?
>Rate my dog!
>Should I bring my dog to a vet?
>What breed is my dog?
>What toys should I get my dog?
>My dog is doing x, what do I do?
>Where do I get a dog?
>How do I take care of a puppy?
>How do I house train a dog?
>Can my dog eat this?
>Let me blog post!
And much more!

Discord link goes to #mammal
https://discord.gg/HQkud96
>>
File: 1500485043484.jpg (31KB, 327x384px) Image search: [Google]
1500485043484.jpg
31KB, 327x384px
>tfw live in small 750sqft apartment
>tfw both gf and I work 8hours+ a day
>tfw can't get doggo because space is too small and it would be unhappy and lonely with us

What do I do anons?
>>
File: IMG_20170728_111038.jpg (219KB, 759x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170728_111038.jpg
219KB, 759x960px
I'm happy lads

We've had this pupper for a few months (relative dumped him on us) and I'm finally seeing some kind of play drive

I'm thinking about getting him some shoes. The pavement can get really hot, and he gets weeds and thorns stuck in paws every so often.

The only thing that sucks is that the pavement usually keep his nails worn down. How would I know when it's time to trim them?
>>
>>2442344
Leaving an older dog or lazier breed alone while at work is doable. Not optimal, but doable. Give him a walk before leaving, a Kong or toy while gone, and lots of love while you are home.

The bigger issue is walkies. Can you manage two, at least 30 minute walks literally every single day? More and longer the better. This week try to walk 30 minutes each day twice a day before and after work. If you are finding this a pain, then yes, you shouldn't get a dog.
>>
>>2442346
Short enough to not be touching the ground when the dog is on a hard, level surface. Long enough to touch the ground if going uphill.
>>
>>2442396
I've seen vicious pugs before, two of them at a petsmart. they just can't kill anything because they are so unhealthy.

>>2442344
Get a senior dog that can hold it's bladder (or better yet hire a dog walker or something) or volunteer at a dog rescue to get your dog fill

>>2442346
I always just brought my dog to the groomers to get trimmed or filed down once a month. Generally if I hear click clack on the floors I know it's about time.
>>
My dog is a heavy sleeper and she gets a body ache from sleeping too much on one side. Exacerbating the problem, she prefers to sleep on the floor and not on a dog bed or in bed with me. What can I do for her? do i make her sleep in bed with me against her will?
(it's not arthritis or anything concerning medically)
>>
>>2442359
>walkies
kys
>>
>>2442536
Have her lose weight.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2592x1936px
Say good night to my puppers, /dog/
>>
>>2442536
How old is she, and is she over/under weight? Generally I say let sleeping dogs lie and give her a baby aspirin but if you need to you can make her sleep on another surface. Does she sleep on the floor because it's cool? they make dog beds that stay cool if that might help.
>>
>>2442346
You can also use Musher's wax for hot pavement too, that way the nails can still grind down.
>>
>>2443224
1 year old and she's in the average range for her breed but she is naturally stocky. i knew elevated beds were a thing but not cooling ones, i'll try it, thank you.
>>
>>2443225
Yeah, I was thinking of that but stuff tends to get stuck in his paws and annoy him. I bought the clippers and tried them out on a long claw. He doesn't make it difficult. I'll ask for advice on his next appointment to the vet. He's due for an allergy shot the 11th or 12th.
>>
>>2443607
I've heard about people getting big emery boards for dogs and trainings them to file their own nails -- essentially teach them a dog command against the emery board.

I don't have much details beyond it's a thing I've heard about. You'll have to research the details.
>>
File: dogger.jpg (557KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
dogger.jpg
557KB, 2048x1536px
>Took doggo out to bluff point for 3 or so hours
>Made him swim in the lakes a few times till he started to love it
>His new indestructible squeaker toy came in the mail
>Spent most of the day since coming back sleeping instead of playing, he's all tuckered out.

Feels good, man.
>>
File: 1497148864847.png (344KB, 603x800px) Image search: [Google]
1497148864847.png
344KB, 603x800px
>what breed of dog should I get?

I can think of one that you shouldn't get
>>
Coolest toys for dogs?
I love playing tug of war but desu im getting kind of bored of it and I think he is too.
>>
>>2443958
Flirt pole. But don't just use a flirt pole to play, use it to train sit and stay/wait too. If you dont know what i mean look up flirt pole training. that way it tires them out mentally and physically. I get neurotic high energy dogs exhausted in under 20 minutes with that shit.
>>
I've been trying to get my dog to stop pissing inside for the last month. He's gotten better at it but he still pees inside every few days.

What are some tips and tricks to make this go by faster? Is there something I'm doing wrong?
I just want to get to the point where I can let him live around the house normally
>>
>>2443985
How old, what's his potty routine like currently, when does he have accidents and how long is he left alone when he has accidents
>>
>>2444023
8 months.
Take him potty every 3 hours, right after eating or a ten to twenty minutes after eating.
My thought is that I should walk more more often than every 3 hours.
When he's in the crate overnight he never pees or poos in it.

Sometimes I let him go right after he uses the bathroom and he decides to pee on the carpet ayways. I do have all the sprays to get rid of the pee smell to remove marking, and I soak any spot he pees on.
>>
>>2444037
Did you ever use puppy pads?
>>
>>2444044
I did way long ago. I made sure to clean the entire house after I stopped using them, since all he did was tear them up. Would rather have him pee and poo outside like every other dog I've always had.
>>
Should I avoid certain dog breeds depending on the climate? The temperature varies between -20c and 30c (-4f to 86) throughout the year.
>>
>>2444155
I live in -30°C to 30°C with a toy terrier.
It's a struggle in the winter: gotta put boots on him if it's under -10°C, and a hat if it's under -20°C (those are the most temperature-sensitive parts of his body).
Finding the right boots is quite a quest too.

So if you don't want to deal with that, don't get a small dog. And obviously check how sensitive to cold a breed of your choosing is.
>>
My dog likes to lick herself a lot - paws, vaginal region, etc. At night, when she lick herself, there is a definite smell of copper in the air that is not noticeable when she licks herself during the day. Considering her breakfast and dinner are identical, what might cause this?
>>
File: whoops.jpg (78KB, 328x246px) Image search: [Google]
whoops.jpg
78KB, 328x246px
How big of a size difference between puppy breeds is too much?

My boston terrier/pug mix has a playmate that's a rottie/blue tick hound mix, and I worry as they get older they won't be able to safely play together.
>>
>>2444228
Some big dogs definitely understand the concept of size, and can be really gentle. My two dogs have a size difference (50 vs 20 lbs, so smaller than your pup and his playmate) and they play together super nice. Dogs have ways to communicate "too rough!". I'd let them continue to play together and keep an eye on things, but I would think you'll be fine.

If anything make sure your dog plays with dogs that'll be his size, or you might end up having the opposite problem.
>>
>>2444239

We got home recently from a play session. His playmate is super shy(we think she was abused) but he's been getting her to play like a normal puppy. At the end he seemed like he was getting tired and she still wanted to play, then he went completely still like he was scared of her. She kept trying to goad him to play, but he would just try to hide, go still, be nervous(whale eye, licking lips, etc. no whining). She'd follow him and he'd be trying to go down some stairs and he'd just freeze. They weren't playing rough either..

He's sleeping now. You don't think he'll be forever scared of her, right? Usually he's a super confident asshole of a dog, was just weird to see him actually "scared".

I've tried taking him to the dogpark but there's never dogs there when I go. We can tire him out if nothing else.
>>
My dog died a few months agp and I can't get another one or take care of shelter dogs etc. how do I fill the void besides shoob memes and videos

Do any good pet sim games exist
>>
>>2444333
besides nintendogs
>>
>>2444333
anime?
>>
>>2444333
play videogames?
>>
>>2444333
Nintendogs is indeed very good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUUyae8vmmQ
>>
>>2444037
Maybe when he pees outside you need to give him more of a reward. From what you're saying it sounds like he doesn't care where he pees, so maybe give him more incentive to pee outside. Make a big deal out of it when he pees outside, lots of love and petting and just act happy. When he goes inside, just ignore him and bring him outside.
>>
>>2442337
my dog food ran out and my next auto ship, shipped this morning. what do i feed my dog today and possibly tomorrow while waiting for new bag of food?
>>
>>2443734
That's a beautiful red and white Border Collie? or is it a husky mix hard to tell at that angle.
>>
Going to organise getting my dog (11 months) spayed with the vet next week and am really worried.I've lost 2 dogs under anaesthesia, one specifically during getting neutered. I can't lose her too.

Spaying is more intrusive and risky than neutering. I realise the benefits of spaying far outweigh the risks and lower the chance of certain cancers and infections, plus I never intend to breed her. Still really worried.
>>
>>2444333
World of Warcraft, go beastmaster and get yourself a nice frog.
>>
>>2444997
>wow after wrath cataclysm
shiggydiggydoo
>>
>>2444781
cooked white rice, plain baked potato, cooked old-fashioned oats.
shredded chicken or ground beef (drained so it's not as fatty), nonfat plain yogurt, nonfat cottage cheese, scrambled or hard boiled eggs.
carrots, broccoli, sweet potatoes, canned pumpkin, green beans, peas, celery, cucumbers.

pick a starch, protein, and vegetable and you'll be good for a day or two. it's not guaranteed to hit all of their macros/nutrients like a good dog food would but it will be tasty, fill them up, and won't be totally deficient in nutrients.
>>
>>2444855
What did your other dogs die of? What breed/s were they? How old were they? What precautions were taken beforehand? Was it at the same vet office or done by the same vet?

You can get blood work and such done to minimize issues under the knife but it will cost more.
>>
i am to try trailrunning with my Dog (weimaraner), but he tends to scout ahead or walk about a radius of +-25m. Will that be alright? Any advice?

I am thinking i need a bright orange leash just in case there is a hunter
>>
How do I stop my parents labrador from pulling on the leesh? I told them not to get one because they wont walk which they said they would now the responsibility has shifted to me and I take him every morning yet he still acts like a nigger.

Do choke chains work? I have one but I haven't been using it
>>
>>2445736
Choke chains are the most garbage way out there to teach a dog to walk politely on a lead. Nothing to do with MUH ANIMAL CRUELTY.... they just suck.

I would begin by turning the other way when he pulls. As soon as he runs past your leg, make a sharp 180 and go the other way and yoink him along. If you don't like that, then you can try a front clip harness. That doesn't really train them though.
>>
>>2445740

I tried the 180 method and it didn't really seem to work. I probably didn't do it for long enough though.

How does the front clip harness work? Anyway this dog when a treat is offered seems to be very smart and can always remember every trick I am teaching him yet I guess he just does not respect me enough to do it without a treat, and even then a treat can sometimes not be enough if he is excited on a walk.
>>
>>2445743
Front clips either work by reducing the dogs natural inclination to pull because it's hatched on th front, or by giving you a more efficient way to redirect the dog. It depends on who you ask.

It's tough to get some dogs to stop pulling. Some dogs just fucking love pulling. Most you can ask for is "polite leash walking" by which I mean they aren't adively trying to pull your arm off.
>>
File: marioh-carey.jpg (44KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
marioh-carey.jpg
44KB, 500x375px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk0-vtvIZVA
>>
File: goodboy.jpg (127KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
goodboy.jpg
127KB, 720x960px
My wife snapped this qt pic of our half Shih Tzu-half Poodle today.

What do you guys think of him?
>>
My female pit/husky mix is probably pregnant on her first heat. My male chow mix literally busted through the bedroom door while I was outside and fucked her. It's been a month and between signs of increased aggression toward my other dogs, clinginess to me, and swollen nipples I'm pretty sure she is with litter. Already have five dogs, just wanted her to get through one heat cycle before we got her spayed. Still wondering how a dog BARELY 40 lbs tore a solid oak door off the hinges.
>>
>>2445536
First dog was an American Bulldog, rescue, we got him as a pup and I was told he, his mother and his litter were all rescued from a puppy mill. The runt of the litter, additionally so I knew he wasn't going to be the healthiest dog, but I was quite young at the time. The vet told us he had an undiagnosed heart condition when he was brought to get neutered and died under the anaesthesia, around 11-12 years ago now.

The second dog was a Labrador and was an exceptionally healthy dog, he was from a good line, we were asked to show him quite a few times. He got increasingly sick over the period of a few weeks- during this period of time I took him to the vet a number of times, not including the last time. I was pretty sure that it was something he might have swallowed but the vet wasn't having it, he was certain that it was a gastrointestinal upset and not to worry and kept prescribing medication, when he continued to get sick/refuse food (which was odd because he was the most food-motivated dog I've ever owned) I brought him back and demanded an X-Ray and it turned out I was right, he had an intestinal blockage. Sadly it was too late and he didn't survive the surgery, the vet said he also reacted badly to the anaesthetic. The first thing he mentioned when I got the call that my dog died was what money I owed him. Coming up to a year now and I'm still reeling from it. I miss him so much.

Never giving that second vet money again, which means I have to travel considerably to the new one but I don't care. New one is genuinely great and loves the animals sincerely, they are always very kind to my dog, on their website they say they maintain and use newer/much safer practices when it comes to anaesthesia so I do have more confidence in them but the anxiety is still there from my previous experiences.
>>
>>2446052
My current dog is a Lab mix, she's been given a perfect bill of health with the exception of an ear infection that cleared up recently.
>>
>>2446004
That is one good boy

Really sweet photo.
>>
>>2443958
Springpole
>>
File: IMG_6575.jpg (135KB, 900x587px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6575.jpg
135KB, 900x587px
>>2445743
I used a pinch collar for my 60lb dobie/lab, she loved to pull. Choke chains work better after you've trained them on a pinch, they learn to respect your corrections and tugs more.

She used to heel off lead and everything... then I got lazy with practice and she forgot how. Oh well
>>
How do you teach a puppy to enjoy swimming?
>>
>>2446004
I normally don't like either of those breeds, but he's one cute doggo.
>>
>tfw someone is trying to tell me that cats are smarter than dogs

i dont get how someone can genuinely believe this, are they just retarded?
>>
File: IMG_07411.jpg (165KB, 1024x1365px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_07411.jpg
165KB, 1024x1365px
How do you 'crate train' a pup?
I have recently acquired a 2mo old collie puppy (pic related), everything is fine, she sleeps most of the day with breaks to eat, shit and run around for a bit. She stays mostly on the back porch and is happy. I have fenced a roughly 7x5ft space with shipping pallets with a little shelter for her to sleep at night because our yard is full of various critters and possibly other, bigger animals at night. Thing is, she absolutely hates to spend the night in there. When I put her in during the day, she is mostly fine, just occasionally whining. Same when I put her in to sleep. But as soon as I turn the light off and go inside she goes mad, whining and howling. I tried rewarding her when she keeps silent for at least a little while but she is not responsive. It is starting to drive us crazy. I would let her sleep on the porch but I am still a bit worried and she needs to get used to a shelter for winter time anyway. What can I do to at least improve the situation?
>>
File: received_1849052875345271.jpg (52KB, 958x1280px) Image search: [Google]
received_1849052875345271.jpg
52KB, 958x1280px
Why is my dog so fucking weird?
>Got em as a pup
>Extremely lazy
>Practically drag him on walks
>He just stops coming
>At age 10 he has slowed down considerably, looks close to death
>He's literally never barked
>Suddenly he becomes energetic and starts barking all the time
>He's now 13 and seems to be in better shape then he was 10 years ago
>Always running around and barking, generally looking happy
Is this just a big second wind before he kicks the bucket? Pic related.
>>
>>2446297
I'd love to get an actual answer, but it sounds like you have one happy doggo. Cherish him, he loves life and you!
>>
>>2446251
>she needs to get used to a shelter for winter time anyway
why are you not letting the dog sleep in the house? why are you keeping it outside all of the time? especially when it's a literal baby and you said there are predators around. there's no reason for a dog not to sleep inside, even if it's a farm dog.

> I have fenced a roughly 7x5ft space with shipping pallets
this isn't a crate or anything resembling it. a crate has just enough space for the dog to go in and turn around.

crate training is for three things:
>house training
>getting a dog used to being confined so they won't panic while travelling/at the vet
>giving the dog a "safe space" where they can go and be comfortable
>>
>>2446297
Your dog got a strange case of Benjamin Button. In other words, its aging backwards.
>>
>>2446311
My parents' labradoodle got used to sleeping inside as a pup and later on refused to leave the house when everyone left for work/school and they had quite a lot of trouble with him so we wanted to avoid this and get the dog used to being outside all the time.
She is not scared of confinement as far as I'm aware because she behaved very well in the car and at the vet both times. It seems more like she doesn't like the lack of attention.
We might consider taking her inside but she only recently got used to going potty to a specific place away from the porch so I'm not sure how she'd manage a litterbox, or more specifically changing between the two for day/night.
>>
>>2446302
Thanks for the kind words anon. Tried to get s fresh picture for you but he's to excited.
>>2446326
I see.
>>
Hmmm, would it be a good idea to breed my alaskan malamute with a friend's husky? He somehow found out about aluskys and wants to try breeding for one and I kinda wanna into it too out of curiosity, I know both races are very similar so there shouldn't be very many problems with getting them to get along, but I'm worried about possible health related issues with the puppies, have any of you owned or bred alusky puppies? Can you guys give me some tips/advice?
>>
I'M GETTING A GOLDENDOODLE TODAY WHAT DO I DO I'M SO EXCITED WAHOO
>>
>>2446414
You'll need to research health issues for each breed and understand what genetic tests the dame and sire need to ensure healthy dogs.
>>
>>2446336
...jesus fucking christ. this is all so specifically stupid and wrong that I'm almost not sure that you're trolling.

>My parents' labradoodle got used to sleeping inside as a pup and later on refused to leave the house when everyone left for work/school
So...what I'm understanding is, when everyone would leave for work or school, you would lock the dog outside all day? No fucking wonder it didn't want to go outside you fucking dipshit.

>We might consider taking her inside but she only recently got used to going potty to a specific place away from the porch so I'm not sure how she'd manage a litterbox, or more specifically changing between the two for day/night
Dogs that live inside do not use a litterbox. They don't bury their shit like cats do.

Do you know how to have a dog? You train the dog not to go to the bathroom in the house. You train them to wait until you let them outside. Then after they are done they come back inside. Is your family fucking retarded? Your family should not have a dog.
>>
>>2444188
I'm having this problem too. Help.
>>
>>2446414
>would it be a good idea to breed my alaskan malamute with a friend's husky
no

>Can you guys give me some tips/advice?
this will cost more money and time to do right than you are willing to sink into it. it's not just "let the dogs get along" and then wait until the female goes into labor. pic related.

what is your idiot friend planning to do with the puppies and parent once he's gotten his "alusky"? give them away? sell them for a profit? you and your friend are shitty if you want to just do this "out of curiosity" so you can have a mutt puppy.

even if you don't do things like AKC registry (which you cannot as these will be mutts), it's going to cost $5945+ MINIMUM.

if you're willing to invest for health monitoring and tests and you actually take care of the puppies and make sure they go to homes that will actually care for them, go for it. if not, fuck right off.
>>
File: 1.png (493KB, 880x666px) Image search: [Google]
1.png
493KB, 880x666px
>>2446457
pic related.
>>
My 15 old shih tzu crawled into my lap and died this morning. Fugg I feel bad. I feel like I failed her she was panting and coughing them bam gone. I love you gidget
>>
>>2442337
do americans seriously euthanize dogs if they bite someone?
>>
>>2446460
This sounds like something put together from a breeder. My family used to raise AKC chihuahuas in the 90s-early 2000s and the expenses were not even a portion of that. A fucking puppy cam? Steak and cottage cheese for nursing mom? Emergency vet visits x2? That's really silly. It's not for people to rush into all willy-nilly, but if you hae 6 puppies at it costs $6000, why is average dog cost like $500? People don't breed puppies out of the goodness of their hearts. It's a for-profit business.
>>
>>2446448
Oh lawd what fugged up things were my parents doing. (The dog was perfectly fine tho). I don't really remember as I was only 6 or so when we got him. He had a shelter set up outside where he got his food and eventually slept too. He'd get food there every morning before we left and was supposed to stay in the yard as the house was locked. I don't know how they made him used to it, but later he'd just sleep outside and wait by the door every morning for his food without problems. My mom suggested to keep ours outside from the start to avoid having to retrain.
>You train them to wait until you let them outside.
How am I supposed to make her hold it the whole night when puppies need to pee every few hours.
>Do you know how to have a dog?
No, not really yet. Didn't really pay any mind to it at home, trying to learn more about it now, that's why I'm asking (stupid) questions. And my mom gives some pretty shitty advice as I see.
>>
>>2446470

Why do you have a dog if all it does is live outside. What do you do with it?
>>
>>2446004
10/10 would give butterfly kisses

>>2446336
>refused to leave the house when everyone left for work/school
I'm sorry I don't understand the problem. I've always intentionally left my dogs inside when I leave the house, and I'm not sure why you would put the animal outside without supervision when everyone leaves.

>only recently got used to going potty to a specific place away from the porch so I'm not sure how she'd manage a litterbox, or more specifically changing between the two for day/night.
>litterbox
??
Don't "alternate between the two." Reinforcing her potty spot will be how you housebreak her. At 2 months, she'll have a lot of accidents.
I got my most recent dog at 2 months old and she was fully housebroken at 5 months. Even at 8 months, I was waking up at 2 or 3 A.M. to let the dog out because I knew she couldn't hold it.
Housebreak your dog, don't make it sleep outside because you aren't teaching her good manners..

>When I put her in during the day, she is mostly fine, just occasionally whining. Same when I put her in to sleep. But as soon as I turn the light off and go inside she goes mad, whining and howling.
It's a 2 month old BABY. Of course it's crying when you abandon it..
>>
>>2446471
Our family was really active, we used to take him on hikes almost every weekend. On weekdays we'd always play in the yard with him or just take him for a walk around town. When he got old he loved to chill with my dad on the porch when he smoked his pipe.
I'm hoping to have mine as something similar, a companion for our outdoor activities.
>>
>>2446470
My mom's originally from a shitty country that doesn't care about animals so I somewhat relate to the "fugged up"-ness.
Try putting this into perspective:
I got a puppy as a present when I was 7, but the responsibility went to my mother. She made the dog live outside. It rarely came inside.
When I was 13, the dog suddenly died because it ate pesticide my mom left in the yard (my mom didn't think the dog would touch it, it was an accident, and my mom still regrets it).
I had an epiphany then that I never fully loved the dog. She would faithfully sleep on the porch, always looking inside the house but never allowed inside.
The dog was sheltered and fed but was not truly part of the family. It was just there like property.

Every dog I've had after that one has lived inside and even slept in bed with me. It's like I'm always trying to redeem myself for the shitty life we gave that 1 dog.
>>
>>2446467
My father had a dog in the 90s (New Jersey) that bit the neighbor's child.
The dog was euthanized and my father's homeowners insurance paid a settlement to the child until he was 18.

It mostly depends on the State. Some have a 3 strikes rule. For my dad's dog, it was one bite, and that was the end.

The kid also grew up fine and grew up around his own family's dogs. The parents made a stink because they were greedy desu.
>>
>>2446477
I feel you, my wife is from eastern europe where, from what I gathered, the dogs are purely for keeping outside so she is really apprehensive about letting the pup in. At first I saw it as nothing out of the ordinary since my parents did the same, but now I'm trying to convince her otherwise.
>>
>>2446457
Of course I'd make sure the puppies go to a good home anon, I'm not as heartless as my post could've made me seem, but I've bred dogs before and >>2446460 is complete BS unless you're breeding "profesionally" and even then it seems far fetched

>Petcam
>Premium food in anticipation
>Prenatal vitamins (could actually be necessary)
>X-Ray
>The most expensive, top-shelf premium food
>Vet emergency that "always" happens
>9 hundred dollaridoos because puppy destroyed your pollock or summin
>Advertisement for homes in the era of social media at your fingertips
>Field trips
>Going home packages

All pretty unnecessary.
>>
>>2446473
My parents had some reason to keep the dog outside at all times so it came to me as the normal way of training and keeping my dog. Now I understand that they might be lacking emotionally that way and I'm trying to improve my approach even if it takes way more effort and care.
But as I mentioned here >>2446493 it might be difficult.
>>
>>2446468
>People don't breed puppies out of the goodness of their hearts. It's a for-profit business.
BYBs breed for profit. Reputable breeders breed to better the breed.
>>
>>2446496
honey, I left out the petcam and all AKC fees for the bare minimum since you aren't breeding to actually register/show like this person did.

premium food, prenatal vitamins, vet visits, etc. are necessary if you're not a shitty BYB. don't breed your dog.
>>
>>2446470
>How am I supposed to make her hold it the whole night when puppies need to pee every few hours.

you get up every few hours to let it out to pee. taking care of a dog properly is work. it's not just that your parents' way might be "lacking emotionally". it borders on actual cruelty depending on the climate where you live. do the work or get rid of the dog.
>>
File: 20170802_172819_HDR-1.jpg (891KB, 2015x2482px) Image search: [Google]
20170802_172819_HDR-1.jpg
891KB, 2015x2482px
>>2446471
>live in an area where a lot of people leave their dogs outside all day to bark at me and this lil fag (pardon his ears, his first owner fucked them up years ago)
>some without a fence, just right in the front yard
>two yappy toy mixes left out sometimes, one just runs straight into traffic to bark at us and is instantly killed
>still see the other dog left out alone
>live in Texas, hot as fuck
>one dog i see on walks is a puggle (idk about the mix but pugs and hot weather man), one dog is a husky
>one especially bad house had a German Shepard and a goldy
>both had really shitty coats, GS in particular had some rough patches
>walk by yesterday
>GS is gone, replaced by a boxer
>one house has like seven poodles and some mutt
>nobody every actually goes after their dog if they bolt, just yell at it to come back and are surprised when it doesn't want to

There really needs to be more restrictions on owning dogs man
>>
today i had in my arms longhair chichaua :3
>>
My 10 month St.'s hips are making a popping sound on occassion.

She isn't limping or anything but worried about hip dysplasia.
>>
File: P_20170321_211526.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
P_20170321_211526.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
Hello /an/
>>
File: Snapchat-990663462.jpg (605KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-990663462.jpg
605KB, 1080x1920px
Woof
>>
>>2444829
Pomeranian/Husky meme mix.
>>
I feel like I could doing something wrong after reading the food link. I use Purina puppy chow and she seems to like it, but it has a low review. There also doesn't seem to be many options for puppies. She's a golden retriever lab mix, what should I feed?
>>
>>2446924
How much are you willing to spend?

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/best-dog-foods/

There are plenty of really good and not very expensive dog foods.

I feed my puppy Fromm Heartland Gold puppy food. Runs $60 and lasts me two months.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/best-dog-foods/
check this site.

And if you dont want to buy online,
http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/blue-buffalo-dog-food-wilderness-dry/

Blue wilderness is something you can find in every pet store, is around 55 dollars for a large bag, and the puppy mix has 5 stars on this site.

I would find your labrador a large breed puppy mix though.

You can order online with free shipping on;
https://www.chewy.com/ or https://www.petflow.com/

There are some foods you can no longer find on chewy though, every since petsmart bought them out, snobbier dog food brands pulled their food from there, since they only like to sell to specialty stores or sites.

There are many options for puppies. Make sure to switch foods properly and slowly too by the way.
>>
>>2446929
Thanks I'll look into blue and the online options to see what works best for me. I've read I'm supposed to mix it slowly with her old food then gradually add more of the new. Other than food everything else seems to be going well she barely has any accidents inside at 8 weeks.
>>
Lookin for med-large sized doggo to live with in an apartment. I live in Texas and walk at least 5k a day to remain somewhat active. I prefer to adopt a dog, prefer puppers but I love all dogs so an older one is perfectly fine given that it would be more appropriate for my situation. I can afford everything I need to own a dog as I'm quite frugal and thankfully Houston is very cheap to live in.

What doggo get?
>>
>>2446052
to be fair, your dog has a much higher chance of dying at a vet than anywhere else because that is where surgeries happen and that's where you bring your dog when it's sick. Coincidentally, most people also die in hospitals. The second dog was simply ill, I don't believe anesthesia was the main cause of death but instead the blockage in the stomach. Neuters are incredibly common and relatively non-invasive surgeries. I'd only say you should be worried if your dog was a brachy breed (harder for them to breath), had a heart condition or was already weak or sick. Your first dog sounds like it was just unlucky enough to hit all 3. If you're worried I'd suggest getting blood tests run and make sure the heart is healthy.

>>2445736
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMssKIjsDxXkZk77nE0r0sdPoTuuDo-Oh

I don't recommend chokers on the grounds that it's bad for the dog's throat and trachea and it can actually fuck up training when used improperly. What ends up happening is the dog either doesn't learn not to pull but learns to be scared of walks, collars, leashes etc or it becomes a crutch (assuming it works) and you need it on all the time. It's supposed to be a training tool, not an easy fix. Prongs are better for the throat BUT can be even worse than a choker in the wrong hands. You need to learn how to use a prong collar before even buying one. It sounds like your dog is easily motivated so I wouldn't bother with positive punishment techniques in this case until he stops being easily motivated.
>>2445743
training to walk properly on a leash literally can take months. If you don't have the patience, it's probably not worth trying. Also your training should NOT begin on walks but begin at home instead. Walks are usually too hectic, new, and exciting to begin training.
>>
>>2446048
You can still get her spayed at an increased mix. Good luck trying to sell that absolute cancer mix of puppies. Honestly have a hard time thinking of a worse mix it could have been.

>>2446233
Disney movies. I love cats but I admit dogs are objectively smarter.

>>2446251
A shipping pallaet won't stop most animals that want to kill your dog. Dogs naturally hate being away from people, especially when they are locked outside of the god damn house. There is a way to crate train, but that is not crate training. Crate training is done inside the house.

>>2446297
different food? different schedule? different house? who knows.

>>2446414
You'll have to also look into all the tests for huskies too. If you don't have the parent's health scores there's no guarantee, pretty much a lost cause at that point. If you do plan on breeding responsibly, you won't get anywhere close to a profit. Especially with a mutt, you'd be lucky to get them off your hands above $500. If you want to make a profit, you would actually have to starve the mother during pregnancy and nursing and sell the puppies as soon as they are able to eat solid foods. So, all around it sounds like a terrible idea. Probably shouldn't breed your dog just because your friend happens to have a husky.
>>2446468
found the mexcan BYB
>>2446496
>he can't add
>he wants to breed dogs
Ohhhhhh nooooooooooo
>>2446448
It sounds like a third worlder situation actually, in which case animal neglect is just how they take care of pets.
>>2446467
Yup. Some places will euthanize dogs for 'acting' aggressive which can just be snarling or barking through a fence (looking at you CO) We also euthanize dogs if it has a blocky head. Those aren't allowed in some states.
>>2446602
Have you talked to the breeder about it or was it a second hand dog? Unfortunately with that breed it's a very real concern. Try not to over-do playtime.
>>
>>2446968
DO NOT walk a puppy 5k a day. Puppies need many short bursts of activity. If you're looking to adopt, unless you want to look at breed specific rescues there's not going to be many pure bred dogs that also conform to breed standards. Take the breeds they have listed with a huge grain of salt and instead focus more on the individual dog. I'd suggest looking for a young adult or older puppy that seems very active (will probably need a lot of training as dogs surrendered at this age have had fuck all for obedience) and slowly work them up to a 5k walk. Idk if 5k is one walk or walks throughout the day, but expect to have to bring your dog out at least 2x a day, probably 3x is more realistic.
>>
>>2446877
where do I have to move to live next to beauty like that?
>>
>>2446988

Thanks. It's throughout the day. Breed doesn't matter too much to me, just want a companion to cuddle with and keep me company when I'm feeling down. What should I look for in a dog that tells me they'd be a good fit for an apartment?
>>
>>2446462
She probably crawled into the warmest safest space she knew was there for her and wanted to spend her final moments with the one she loved, you're blessed anon more than you know.
>>
>>2446924
if you're sure your puppy is gonna get real big, make sure you're using a large-breed puppy kibble. there are foods out there for "all life stages" that are okay to feed puppies, but make sure you find something with low calcium. purina is shit. I know TOTW has a puppy-specific kibble but I'm not sure if it's adequate for large breeds.
>>
>>2447006
akureyri iceland
>>
>>2447054
People generally want lazy dogs for an apartment, but you can't get a lazy dog and expect it to take a 5k walk daily. I'd say look for an adult dog that responds well to you, don't go for aloof dogs as they can be harder to train. I especially like the attention whores for easy training but they may get separation anxiety. Try to look for a dog that was previously crate trained or expect to crate train.
>>
File: IMG_20170803_131001.jpg (3MB, 2340x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170803_131001.jpg
3MB, 2340x4160px
>tfw you don't own a dog anymore, but a pile of sand
>>
>>2446986
>Have you talked to the breeder about it or was it a second hand dog
He had about 8 St's on the farm none had it so hoping it's just growing pains but going to get her checked up on just in case. It's not happening every day
>>
File: IMG_0292.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0292.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>2447196
My dog has some sort of magic coat where mud/sand just falls out once it's dry. Feels good man
>>
File: dog drink.jpg (59KB, 600x519px) Image search: [Google]
dog drink.jpg
59KB, 600x519px
im a sentiant dog
>>
>>2447213
He was still kinda wet.

S'all good tho. He's dead to the world right now.
>>
>>2446048
I would love the mixed breed puppies, don't listen to the other person calling them cancer. I like hardheaded dogs.
You can still get her fixed and they'll give her an abortion at the same time.
>>
>>2447064
I ordered blue buffalo life protection puppy food for large breeds since its the most cost effective and not shit tier.
>>
File: img1.jpg (2MB, 2808x2552px) Image search: [Google]
img1.jpg
2MB, 2808x2552px
My gf's demon goldador pupper. He rips my jacket everytime I go see him because he gets super hyper whenever he sees me. His nails hurt me everytime yet I still want to play with him. How do I calm him? I never encountered a hyper dog because my sibe is chill 90% of the time.
>>
>>2447603
Unfortunately only exercise will help him chill out. He should also have some basic training and have his nails trimmed but I guess that's asking too much for someone who buys designer mutts
>>
>>2447721
This. Short bursts of exercise though, as he's not fully grown and you can put too much stress on his underdeveloped joints and bones. How old is he? A good rule is 5 minutes of exercise for every month, 2-3 times a day. So if he's 4-5 months old, he can handle 25 minutes of running around, playing fetch, hiking, swimming, etc. They usually peter out at about an hour when they're grown depending on their energy level and breed. Also just trim the nails.
>>
File: IMG_5331.jpg (1MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5331.jpg
1MB, 4032x3024px
>>
File: DSC01767.jpg (537KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
DSC01767.jpg
537KB, 1920x1080px
Got my little monster a new toy. He loves it.
>>
>>2442344
Volunteer at your local animal shelter.
>>
>>2446557
Sounds like my neighborhood. One guy across the street has two German Shephards each in a separate tiny kennel, and there's a bunch of houses with tied up dogs that stay in the backyard all day, rain or shine. And then they have the nerve to call my dog "spoiled" because he lives in the house with me and is well taken care of.
>>
I've got a question.
My dog does not seem to like black people. Whenever she sees a black person, she gets freaked out and will start growling and sometimes barking. She's sort of a rescue, saved her from a shitty family, so I'm just wondering if she's never seen black people and doesn't know what they are?
>>
>>2447904
She was probably abused, just calmly introduce her to someone you know who won't freak out when confronted with a dog who's freaking out if she's going to be around black people a lot.
>>
>>2447904
It could be that she was abused by a black person, but if you know her previous shitty owner wasn't black, it's more likely she wasn't socialized well and doesn't really understand what a black person is.

Not to mention, dogs' sight is worse than ours and they rely on scent as their first sense. So a dog comes across something that smells human, and has a human shape, but is the "wrong" color, and to top it all off, ts harder to discern their facial features than a white person's because of poor eyesight. So in their mind they've basically just encountered a shadow monster who is likely impersonating a human for some unknown and probably nefarious purpose.

The answer is socialize your dog more. Black people, Mexicans, people with accents, beards, backpacks, people carrying large objects or riding skateboards and bikes, people with big hair, bald people, fat people, kids, the elderly, people in wheelchairs or on crutches, etc. Basically anyone who would have a drastically different silhouette than you.
>>
>>2447906
>dog has strange behavior
>either too submissive or too aggressive or too much anxiety, whatever
>IT MUST HAVE BEEN ABUSED

by this logic 90% of all dogs have been abused tru facts.
>>
>>2448083
I didn't say must have, I said probably based on the fact that she was rescued from shitty owners.
>>
>>2448085
I would say shitty socialization is more likely than abuse.
>>
I don't quite get purepreed dogs. Not looking to start a flame war here on either side of the aisle, since I don't get the purpose of crazy mutt messes either.

I'm just looking at the wikipedia page for Spitz is all, and they all seem pretty damn similar. If I had to make an analogy, I'd say its like differentiating people from the same ethnic group. Like you may have British people and the welsh, irish, scotts and english are different but not really at all when you get down to it.

I get the breeding out genetic faults being weeded out by breeding a line, but how many lines exactly are there? I mean officially. I talked with a coworker today about horses and it seems there are stallions that sire massive lines, but that doesnt make them a breed all on their own. So what makes a shiba inu much different than a corgi, at what point do you decide what the line is?
>>
>>2448166
There's way too many and it's mostly an aesthetics, though some people do get certain kinds of dogs for certain kinds of work. Designer breeds definitely need to go, though.
>>
>>2448178
I googled designer breed, and the wikipedia article has a picture of a huskymalmute. Thats like the same damn dog anyways, whats wrong with it?
>>
>>2448182
Designer breeds as in mutts that are specifically bred for nothing more than appearances. We're talking monstrosities like the toadline or teacup dogs. Dogs that honestly have no reason to exist other than that someone thought they were cute and are prone to massive health issues because people breed them for the money and give no fucks about their pet's health because that cuts into profits. Breeds like Labradoodles are alright, though, as they were bred for more than aesthetics and actually fill a companion niche.
>>
>>2448184
>toadline
Ok, I get what you're saying now. But thats really not that common, is it?
>>
>>2448186
I've seen plenty of teacup dogs, but all I have is anecdotal evidence. People who treat dogs like shit or just commodities to be sold are still the vast majority here, though. Protip: even if you have a working dog, if that dog isn't part of your family you're doing it wrong.
>>
File: 1495137215987.jpg (325KB, 1145x761px) Image search: [Google]
1495137215987.jpg
325KB, 1145x761px
>>2448166
>irish, scotts and english are different but not really at all when you get down to it.
TAKE IT BACK
>>
>>2448269
This. If you had said there isn't much difference between the Irish and Scottish I'd've agreed, but when you add the English in there, it's a different story.
>>
>>2448184
Labradoodles don't fill any niche because they aren't bred to a standard and therefore the mix is unpredictable and unreliable.
>>
File: 20170804_045852.png (1MB, 1080x1791px) Image search: [Google]
20170804_045852.png
1MB, 1080x1791px
This little dude was just added to the family
>>
File: 20170805_005900.png (2MB, 857x1073px) Image search: [Google]
20170805_005900.png
2MB, 857x1073px
>>2448295
His bigger sister
>>
>>2448295
hope he grows into his eyes. looks like he can see the east coast and west coast at the same time.
>>
>>2448319
Kek it's just the picture the inner eyelid makes it look weird
>>
>>2448166
I see where you're coming from. A lot of people look for specific traits or get dogs for specific purposes (e.g. herding or other working dogs) and a mutt could be too unpredictable for these lines of work. With mixed breeds, it's possible to get all the best traits of a combination of breeds or all the worst.
>>
>>2448166
>I'd say its like differentiating people from the same ethnic group. Like you may have British people and the welsh, irish, scotts and english are different but not really at all when you get down to it.

I dare you to go on /int/ with that shite m8
>>
File: DSC01777.jpg (577KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
DSC01777.jpg
577KB, 1920x1080px
>>2447873
That didn't last long at all. I've been rused.
>>
File: 31oLHKMzkoL[1].jpg (13KB, 375x500px) Image search: [Google]
31oLHKMzkoL[1].jpg
13KB, 375x500px
>>2448516
https://www.amazon.com/Buddy-Squeak-Treat-Booya-Large/dp/B00MPE5FJU/

This is the best squeaky toy I've ever found.

+Durable
+squeaks
+can put treats inside it
>>
>>2448693
>$15
I hesitate to spend more than ~$5 or so on dog toys because nothing lasts.
>>
>>2443781
Is this even true?
>>
>>2448908
Try that legendary kong toy first then. If your dog tears that up, nothing will last for sure.

https://www.chewy.com/kong-extreme-dog-toy-x-large/dp/38494

Looks like this. There are cheaper smaller ones
>>
>>2449066
The stick he just chewed up was from Kong. My hopes are not high. https://www.chewy.com/kong-safestix-dog-toy-color-varies/dp/44307
>>
>>2448908
Cheaper things are less likely to be durable enough to last. $15 isn't that much, I'd say give it a try. If it doesn't work out, oh well, at least he enjoyed it for a short while.
>>
How do I get my pup to stay out of the neighbours back yard?
He's tied up and in the sunroom atm but I dont want him tied up forever.
>>
>>2449067
I think he's talking about the Kong toys that look like a sex toy.
>>
File: IMG_1620.jpg (3MB, 2303x4096px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1620.jpg
3MB, 2303x4096px
Behavior/aggression question

Anytime my pupper ( 6 months)gets ahold of something salty or grain (pizza crust, bread, pretzels) and we try to get it out of his mouth, he becomes super aggressive and tries to bite us. He doesn't do that with other times I play in his mouth to get out toys or brush his teeth, or with other food cause he'll walk away from food to start playing. It's just when he gets those certain things.
Any tips or why he does that??

Pic related, my pupper
>>
>>2448184
So my golden retriever lab is a mutt? Any issues I need to look out for, I love this dog more than most people.
>>
>>2449253
Get a fence. Also, why does your dog not live in the house?
>>
>inb4 underageb& despite that I'm 19 years old

My mother got me a dog a couple years ago and despite the fact that I don't take care of it as much as she does (I give her love and attention and very occasionally feed her, she takes her to the dog park and plays lots of games), we've both noticed that she likes me quite a lot, maybe even more than my mother. I can't tell for sure.

I say all this because I plan on moving out soon and I know I can't take the dog with me, but I don't know how she's going to take the fact that I'm leaving the house. Or how my erratic family is going to treat her when I leave. I'm worried they might force her on me when I couldn't take her.
>>
Guys I might (MIGHT) end up getting my first ever dog at the end of this month!!
I'm still quite new to doggos and I want to make sure I have the right things at home for the first weeks.
Can you guys help me make a checklist?
- Bench
- Bed
- Toys (I will need to get a Kong toy or something too because he's a Shar Pei who's already doing thinking games)
- Bowls
- Leash
- Food

Am I missing something essential here?
>>
>>2449441
Make sure the food is high quality. Is it a puppy or already grown?
>>
>>2449441
Treats and enzymatic cleaner for accidents.
>>
>>2449441
Aw, a Pei! I've got one myself. I recommend zymox for ear cleaning as their ears can be prone to infections/yeast.
>>
>>2449471
Speaking of, my dog has taken a sudden disobedient turn and is hiding under the bed to avoid his weekly ear cleaning. Do I just wait him out, or start offering treats?
>>
>>2449463
The dog I have in mind is a 5 year old Shar Pei Staffy cross.
>>
>>2449475
I always go for treats so my dog associates positive things with the ear cleanings (or anything she doesn't particularly like.)
>>
>>2449463
It's a 5 year old Shar Pei Staffy cross

>>2449471
>I've got one myself
Could you tell me a bit more about it? It is true I am having a Shar Pei cross (Staffy) but the shelter people wrote that he has a lot away off a Pei.
Also really fucking nervous, what do?
>>
>>2449503
I tried offering him treats and he went for them, but then went right back under the bed, so I just wait until he got bored and content. Usually just giving him treats and headpats during ear cleaning is enough, guess he wanted to be stubborn today.
>>
>>2449505
Shar Pei cross guy here, how often do their ears have to be cleaned?
>>
>>2449506
I don't have a shar pei, I have a pit bull, and I clean his ears once a week.
>>
>>2449506
I clean my dog's ears 1-2x per week with some wipes we got but only because it's summer and humid. I think once per week is more than enough for most dogs. Just keep an eye out for dark gunk or funky smells.

I don't have staffy experience, but the two breeds in that mix are prone to being dog selective or aggressive. Since he's an adult, whoever you're getting him from will be able to give you a great rundown of his personality. Peis can be very aloof and stubborn, but they're loyal dogs without being Velcro-y. They can have skin/allergy/eye problems so just something to be mindful of.

That's all I've got. No staffy knowledge whatsoever. Sorry, anon.
>>
>>2449512
Thanks a lot anon, and it's fine. This helps me out a lot.
I'm just really nervous about getting a dog, because I am afraid if I will be able to take good care of it or not. How was it for you to get a dog for the first time?
>>
>>2449270
>>2449270
>why he does that
He apparently highly values salty/grainy treats.

>tips
Find another high-value treat, like a moist meaty training treat, and teach him to "trade". Look up sources on teaching dogs to trade things for treats. Don't start by trying to trade a new treat for the salty/grainy things, start by trading it for something he values less, like a toy or piece of kibble. Slowly work up to trading for the salty/grainy stuff and he'll be more likely to give it up. It will take a lot of time and be frustrating because it looks like he's a terrier mix and they're known to be stubborn, but keep at it.
>>
>>2449298
All mixes are mutts. Just because you now what it's a mix of doesn't stop it from being a mutt.

Off the top of my head, hip and elbow dysplasia and obesity are likely the two biggest problems you might have to face. Then bloat. Labs are notorious for horking down their food as fast as possible and goldens usually aren't picky eaters, either. That leads to obesity, which can contribute further to joint problems and further exacerbate dysplasia. Unless you have a really fucked up dog though, bloat at least is easy to prevent simply by waiting to exercise them after eating and feeding them on strict portion control + routine.
>>
What is the age of consent for a dog?
>>
>>2449565
Also, you can get them a slow feeder bowl, that's added a good 5+ minutes to my dog's previous feeding record of 30 seconds.

>>2449568
A year old at the very least. Just because they CAN breed at 6 months doesn't mean they SHOULD. Just like with humans.
>>
>>2449544
Loads of people have the same fears, so don't sweat it. You worrying about it shows you're going to do the best you can and give this dog a compassionate home. And he's going to love you for it. You have the added bonus of not needing to train him to piss outside/walk on a leash.
>>
>>2449683
Thanks anon, this makes me glad.
>>
>>2449568
Two seems good. Under one and a half seems abusive but that's just my opinion.
I also wouldn't let my dog have more than two or MAYBE three litters.
>>
How to make crate training a puppy go more smoothly? I've got her in there right now and she's going fucking apeshit, has been for about 10 minutes. I know I'm not supposed to give her attention until she calms down, but how long does it usually take? Her pitiable cries are starting to worry me, even though I know she's ok. I've put toys in there for her to play with but I'm erring on the side of caution with putting food in there cause I don't want her to shit in her kennel at night.
>>
File: 13867541.jpg (42KB, 320x260px) Image search: [Google]
13867541.jpg
42KB, 320x260px
My male dog is humping my new female dog. He is fixed, she is not. Her spay date is in a few weeks.

Will it stop after she's spayed? If not, wat do?
>>
>>2449878
Start off putting food inside there and letting her eat with the door open, during the daytime, while you watch her.
Do that a few times.

then crate her in there again with the crate closed and call her a good girl. when she calms down give her a few treats.

Also the first two nights she wont shut up and will keep barking, just ignore her.
I scared my dog into not barking by running to his crate downstairs and eyeing him down and telling him to shut up, that ended up working but he was scared of me for a few days after.

Just make sure your dog gets used to liking being inside the crate normally even when its not nighttime. Like during her daytime naps.

Oh, and if she isnt housetrained yet, she will 100% shit in the kennel. But after that first horrible night for her with shit in her kennel, she wont do it again because she knows you wont clean it until hours later since you'll be sleeping. That was the first place my dog learned not to shit or piss in during housebreaking. Then the living room where his crate was and then the rest of the house.
>>
>>2449916
It may stop or decrease the behavior but chances are he's doing a dominance hump. If that's the case, teach a down command or spray him with water like a bad cat
>>
What is the white part around a dogs eye? You know what I mean? I'd say it's the same as ours but it seems like it sticks out a bit, like it's protective?

I could google this but I'd rather ask here.
>>
>>2450149
you're right, you could google it.
>>
>>2449475
Betray him and capture him when he least expects it.
>>
Ohh, so cute.
>>
File: staffordshire-bull-terriers.jpg (61KB, 637x421px) Image search: [Google]
staffordshire-bull-terriers.jpg
61KB, 637x421px
What do you guys think of Staffies? Both UK and AmStaff
>>
>>2449568
2 is better
>>
File: jasmine1.jpg (20KB, 298x414px) Image search: [Google]
jasmine1.jpg
20KB, 298x414px
What dog breed do you guys think this is?
"Shepherd mix" and done with it, but she didn't look like a german shepherd dog.
Dog is dead so I can't provide other angles. She had white "socks" on her feet.
>>
File: jasmine2.png (454KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
jasmine2.png
454KB, 720x720px
>>2451070
1 more
>>
Alright fellow dog lovers, first time to this board and to this thread. I'm looking to adopt a puppy at the end of the month when I have cash. I live in a small condo with no yard. I have tons of free time seeing how I'm not going to school or working currently. I loved taking my previous dog (who now belongs to my dad) to the dog park so that will be frequent. I've also seen lots of students (I live in a college area) walking their dogs so that's something I'll be excited to do.

What I'm looking for is a full sized dog who won't be uncomfortable in a small place and who is very comforting (I'm so lonely) and is friendly with other dogs and people. When I list that out it sounds very basic. Suggestions?

Thanks!
>>
>>2451074
Those are some angry eyebrows.
>>
>>2451074
Its mixed with a spitz breed looking at its tail.
>>
>>2451082
>puppy
>dog park

You'll need to wait until it's had all of its rounds of shots and they've become fully effective.

>not working or going to school

Where do you get the money to afford this dog? How will you feed it and pay for its vet bills? How will you buy toys, a crate, a bed, treats, bowls, brushes, medical supplies, collars, harnesses, leashes?

When you do get a job what is going to happen?
>>
>>2451169
I have both money saved up and money coming in even though I'm not working. I also have a crate, brushes, etc. I'm very capable of taking care of a dog, don't worry. I'm just wondering which breed might be best.
>>
File: 0808171216a.jpg (3MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
0808171216a.jpg
3MB, 4160x3120px
just showing off my new pupper. This community has been great and I wanted to thank you guys. His name is Turkey and I couldn't have a better pup. Loves his crate, quiet as a church mouse, not mouthy at all, taking to house breaking (slowly), training like a champ, and retrieves with no instruction at all.

The only thing is he's a Texas shelter transplant and he is really shy around strangers.
>>
>>2451287
Happy for your and your new friend! What's a shelter transplant?
>>
>>2442615
good night, pupper
>>
>>2451323
I live in a state where most of our shelters are non-kill. We ship in many of our animals from states that have an overpopulation problem, like Texas.
>>
File: P1040064.jpg (1MB, 3072x1728px) Image search: [Google]
P1040064.jpg
1MB, 3072x1728px
>>2451082
i have a great dane/mastiff mix who fits your description
he is very loving but wouldnt mind a small place as long as theres a bed/couch and maybe a spot for sunning himself
he is very big (a solid 6 inches taller than most other big dogs we find and has a fat head) and many cross the street when they see me walking him or pull their dogs away out of fear - though hes never bitten anyone or been violent

he is up for walks and the park and especially the beach, but he gets tuckered out relatively quick so a little physical activity will ensure he sleeps for the rest of the day
he basically naps all day or suns himself and doesnt use the yard for anything but the bathroom and burying bread for some reason

he is very loving and will snuggle up in bed with you regardless of size

however - since he is a mix i dont know which 'breed' is responsible for what, but i have heard similar stories about great danes

good luck anon
>>
>>2450454
High energy, high drive, easy to train. They are very good dogs for beginners who are really active due to being people friendly and eager to please. However, finding a reputable breeder is like finding a needle in a hay stack; the vast majority are shit.
>>
>>2451083
yeah, she was very expressive :)

>>2451156
thanks for your opinion!
>>
File: 1500942080180.gif (999KB, 350x247px) Image search: [Google]
1500942080180.gif
999KB, 350x247px
I want a medium-large(25~80lbs) doggo that is good for daily walks but doesn't need intense daily exercise. Any recommendations?

Half tempted to try a senior dog as they'll be more chill anyway.
>>
File: 00I0I_5jc95nHf2go_600x450.jpg (39KB, 600x337px) Image search: [Google]
00I0I_5jc95nHf2go_600x450.jpg
39KB, 600x337px
Looking for a good dog breed to get soon. Can anyone give me some insight to Australian Blue Heelers?
>>
File: IMG_6488.jpg (61KB, 447x369px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6488.jpg
61KB, 447x369px
My dog is eating less but seems to have her normal amount of energy/still has healthy poops/hasn't lost weight. Still eats treats during training/public outings. But as of late she'll only eat about half the food she should eat during the day.

Not sure if she's bored with her food or is eating less for summer.
>>
>>2451874

They need a fuckton of exercise as they are farm dogs.

They are pretty cool otherwise. Remember to socialize them! They do try to herd whatever they can as they're a herding dog.
>>
>>2451937
Thanks, anon!
>>
>>2451874
So post on 4chan had these puppers for sale. I texted the seller asking basic information on vaccines and how much they were asking. They texted back just now saying "They rangin in price from $950 to $1950."

I've owned dogs but I've never gone through the adoption process myself. Am I crazy or is that cost outlandish.

Oh and he also plugged his website in the text as well. "You can see them on my website....."
>>
>>2451958
I used a . when I meant to use a ? so that was a question.
>>
>>2451929
My dog does this in summer. He refuses to eat breakfast during the hottest months and if he exercises on his no-breakfast stomach he throws up bile. So I gotta bribe him to eat something before we go out, like a clump of white rice or a minuscule amount of kibble.

Unless your dog is doing this it's probably fine.
>>
>>2451958
It's outlandish if it's some BYB hawking their dogs on 4chan, so yes
>>
>>2451958
Might as well see if the parent's hip scores and other test results happen to be on the website too.
>>
>>2451970
Again, I'm new to the adoption process. Here's their website
bkblueheelers dotcom
>>
>>2451972
Yeah seems pretty outlandish. Two different litters. No working titles to prove the ability of any of the adults. No show titles either if you're into paying for that. While there are health tests for several of the adults, nothing is listed for the actual parents of the litter.
>>
>>2451997
My sanity is confirmed thank you anon. I shall go on with my life rolling my eyes at this guy. I noticed that the craigslist post he made is 18 days old and he is just rebumping it to the top. People probably aren't buying because of his silly asking price.
>>
>>2452006
Properly bred dogs with proper papers and everything are very expensive, his asking price isn't silly. What's silly is that he's trying to pass himself off as legit while posting on 4chan and Craigslist.
>>
>>2452018
Oh my bad, I'm very tired. In my original post I meant to say he posted on craigslist, not 4chan. But for a purebread with proper papers and are AKC approved that's normal? Or is that more of a show dog price?
>>
>>2452022
Going off of that, where would be a good place to look for pure bred dogs online? How would I find a reputable breeder?
>>
>>2452028
Look for kennel clubs in your state and neighboring states. They always have lists of reputable breeders.

>>2451965
Yeah, she's puked up bile a couple of times so I've also been making her eat a little rice or some duck jerky before our morning walks. Nice to hear it's pretty normal though. I just can't wait for it to get cold again.
>>
>>2452006
Flag his post. You aren't allowed to sell pets or breed (i.e., selling studs/letting them out) on Craigslist. You can only ask for a small rehoming fee, like money for gas/travel/to make sure the dog isn't going to a flipper or abuser.
>>
File: IMG_1360.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1360.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
I just adopted a 9 month old puppy who the shelter called a saluki mix but she looks more like a whippet to me. She is a very sweet girl and I'm trying to train her to go off leash at the park and play with the other dogs but when I let go of the leash she gets all nervous and sits against my legs. When she's leashed up she's all wild and playful. Any advice, or best way to train her to go off leash would be helpful.
>>
>>2452022
A grand for a purebred animal is NOT outlandish, but I'd expect receipts on perfect health of parents. That their website doesn't have records of health doesn't necessarily negatively impact their reputation. Just means you have to be an informed buyer and proactively question the breeder for such things. The breeder should be happy to answer all your questions, and I'd only dismiss the breeder if they were being uncooperative and condescending.

There's nothing about the breeder that screams bullshit to me. Their facebook looks super active.

Despite there being an American Kennel Club, there isn't a centralized listing of trusted/approved dog breeders. I wouldn't knock him down for using Craigslist. I don't mean to read too much in the way you've said anything, but I think your wariness might be coming from the way the animal is posted like a For Sale ad, and then you go on to say "adoption." You're not adopting; you're buying a purebred animal with documented genealogy. (I don't mean this as direct "you" and forgive me if I assume too much)

FWIW, I got one of my dogs from a back yard breeder, no papers, $300. (this is similar to the adoption fee and donation if you were to get an animal from a rescure/shelter)
Another dog, with pedigree and tidy health records, $1400.
And another, $1800, tho this one included an airline fee within the price to get her.
>>
>>2452134
Can you go somewhere without other dogs? She may be more scared of the other dogs than being off leash.
>>
>>2452239
Alright thanks! Again, new to this whole adoption process. All the dogs I've owned have either been family dogs or gifts. This will be my first time adopting/buying for myself.
>>
Oh also I found this and am using it to look for verified breeders. Am I doing good?

www marketplace akc org
>>
>>2452239
If you want to be strict about it, the puppies should all have homes lined up soon after they are born if not before hand. Saying you have puppies ready to go shows that very little thought went into planning where the puppies would go to once they are ready. They have puppies at least 6 weeks old that still aren't called for. They have a genetic guarantee of only 1 year, not even most puppy mill puppies get breed related health issues before 2 years old. Their genetic health guarantee is a joke, it should at least be a few years. Their health guarantee is also a joke, only 48 hours when most bacterial and viral infections often take upwards of two weeks to begin showing signs. They don't even know what the breed is used for, stating that they like to see their dogs doing what heelers were bred to do, to protect. They were never used for protection since the breed came to fruition; they are pure cattle dogs. They also use a lot of buzz words in their promotions;
>Water lovers, hard workers, very happy to be apart of life and the action in the house, SUPER loyal to their home and family, intuitive, quality conformation, and the best couch buddies you could ask for
Intuitive and water lover is not a given with this breed but instead personality traits. Hard working and couch potato directly contradict each other. They just put in anything they thought people would like the sound of. They aren't looking to get their name out there, they have one goal in mind and that's selling.
>>
My pupper has skin issues and I want to give him a dietary supplement. Fish oil seems to be the best way to go, but I'm not sure which brand to pick and what's safe for a 4/mo pupper. Any suggestions?

inb4 see the vet, he'll be seeing him soon about neutering getting done, was just curious
>>
LOOK
>>
AT
>>
THESE
>>
DOGS
>>
>>2451070
>>2451074
Shepherd, some kind of heeler or collie, and husky are what I see. No real way to tell for sure, and she might have more types than that in her, but that's my best guess.
>>
>>2451082
Honestly since you're just looking for an affectionate, sizable dog who is good with people/dogs, and you have the ability to provide plenty of exercise as needed, there are many breeds that could work just fine for you.

Honestly, as long as you are a good owner and care for the dog's energy needs, MOST dogs can do just fine in an apartment. They don't need to have room to run around inside when you take them outside to do it.

That said, some easygoing and friendly breeds include retrievers, great danes, and St. Bernards, off the top of my head. But, since you don't have any really specific needs, you could consider looking into adoptable mutts that fit your description too!

Just be sure to wait until the puppy has had all its rounds of puppy vaccinations before taking them to a dog park.

>>2451287
He sounds perfect. And he's super cute, anon.

>>2451868
Senior dog would probably be best if you want a dog who's chill to go for walks but doesn't need to run and stuff.

>>2451874
Good dogs, very loyal to their owners, some can be a little standoffish with strangers. They are smart and driven, and have a lot of energy they need an outlet for (this includes lots of mental exercise, not just physical,) but they tend to have a decent "off-switch" for downtime as long as you train them right so they understand when it's time to chill out.

>>2452134
Sounds like she might be nervous about all the dogs. Try doing some off leash play in an area with no dogs, then a known dog who is friendly/chill, and gradually introduce her to situations with a few more dogs. You can help her confidence like this, but keep in mind that she may never be into playing with other dogs. And that's ok, nothing wrong with that, that's just her personality. I have a dog like that. She is polite with other dogs but after greeting them politely, she ignores them entirely and prefers to go about her business or play with me instead. Not all dogs are super into playing with dog playmates.
>>
File: gr3sPUwH1wn46blo.jpg (722KB, 1280x827px) Image search: [Google]
gr3sPUwH1wn46blo.jpg
722KB, 1280x827px
At the park today
>>
>>2452790
Is that a backpack or life vest, anon?
>>
>>2452791
It's a life vest; she had just been swimming in the river.
>>
>>2452794
I wish my dogs liked to swim. I am a paddler, and I am saving for a canoe so I can take my dogs on rivers and lakes and let them have fun on my boat. My kayak is too small for both of them. I'm hoping they like it.
>>
>>2452797
I'm so glad she's a water dog. We live in Alabama and summers and unbearably hot and muggy here, so outdoor activity in the summer without playing in the water would suck.

She actually didn't like water so much as a puppy, but grew up to love it. She loves swimming, and is obsessed with spray bottles, sprinklers, and hoses (pic related.)

The canoe sounds neat, even if your dogs don't like actually being in the water, they might like hanging out on the boat with you!
>>
So here's something that just happened this morning...

>Looking for a dark sable german shepherd online
>Find someone selling a puppy, akc registered, not only in my state but in my city as well
>Ask if they'll take a depawsit so I can get the pupper at the end of the month
>Say yes
>Friend points out that image of pupper is popping up results on reverse image search (posted image)
>Message seller, ask to see more pics...
>>
File: Resized_20170809_135126.jpg (278KB, 480x800px) Image search: [Google]
Resized_20170809_135126.jpg
278KB, 480x800px
>>2452823

>Seller responds with this
>Show concern about it not being the same dog and ask to see an image of the parents
>Seller says the dogs a little older than when other pic was taken, says the coat will redarken with age
>Notbuyingitliterally
>Report posting
>Block phone number of seller
>Go back just minutes later to look at the posting again to show someone
>Posting is gone
>Seems too fast for website to have taken it down, suspect seller took it down after my messages.
>>
>>2452824
Jeez, that's sketchy anon. Good thing your friend caught that
>>
>>2452823
>>2452824
This is why you have to be super careful about buying from a breeder. You would have gotten swindled if it wasn't for your pal
>>
>>2452840
I would have seen the dog in person of course, I don't know what the seller was thinking, but yes it'd have been a much bigger bummer and a huge waste of time.
>>
>>2452842
The actual dog still looks pretty cute.
>>
>>2452848
Yea but major red flags if the seller is lying about it online
>>
>>2452266
Thanks, we tried letting her off leash again last night and she was much more confident, she ran circles around the other dogs at the park. I think she just needs to get over her initial nervousness. She doesn't seem to want to run out of the park or anything but I am still kind of scared having her run free.
>>
My dog has given me to understand, by all means, that he does not like his new food (TotW Sierra Mountain) and I am in the process of changing him new kibble. My question is if it is worth it giving the brand a second try and go with another flavor? Maybe lamb tastes like shit and TotW duck flavor will work? Or should I just try another brand?

At first, I fed my dog boiled chicken, then I switched him to Royal Canin, it was a seamless transition, but now I am having problems and fear that I might throw more money on another bag of dog food.

Now to clarify, TowT is not making him ill or anything, his poop is fine and he eats it, but it's obvious that he hates the flavor. He ates really slow and gives me the "why are you giving me this shit" look.
>>
Does anyone not give their dogs stuff chews like bully sticks?

He has a small piece of antler and a Nylabone that's too big for him. I'm definitely getting smaller Nylas, but is he fine with just that?
>>
File: 20170810_194456.jpg (3MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
20170810_194456.jpg
3MB, 4608x3456px
Maximum chill pupper!
>>
>10 year old basset hound
>Stayed with my mom when i went to college
>mom dies
>my apartment complex at school is pet friendly, but i dont have him registered because i cant afford the rent increase
>he has developed really fucking bad seperation anxiety
>cant step outside the door without him howling like a motherfucker
>neighbors already complained
>threatened to report to the landlords
>class starts next week, have to leave everyday
What the fuck do i do
>>
>>2452993
Talk to your profs. If they're not assholes, they might allow you to bring him to class, if he's well behaved
>>
I want to play with a dog, but I don't know if I'm ready to own one yet. I also have no friends with dogs. Where can I play with dogs without being a creep
>>
>>2453009
Your sex dungeon
>>
how do people with fulltime jobs have dogs?

i want to get my first dog soon but work from 9 to 5. add time spent traveling to and from work and it would total around 9-10 hours

is it okay to leave a dog alone for such a long period of time? i wouldn't trust dog walkers with my house keys i think
>>
>>2453032
Get a dog walker. They make a good living walking dogs, they're not gonna steal your stuff.
>>
>>2453032
A buddy of mine has a Husky mix he leaves alone for 9-10 in his apartment while he works and there hasn't been any issues once they got over the separation anxiety. Just have to tire them out real good and leave some toys for them and they'll sleep/laze around all day when you're out.
>>
>>2453009
Volunteer at your local shelter.
>>
>>2453009
>>2453045
I'm in the same boat but I want to try living with a dog to see if my allergies are too bad. Can you rent dogs?
>>
>>2453050
Try taking up dog sitting. My sister does it, doesn't seem too difficult.
>>
>>2453045
Not the guy you quoted but I did this and they made me clean up shit for a month before finally letting me walk with one of the dogs by myself. I wasn't even allowed to choose the dogs I walked with before that and always had to have one of the more senior volunteers with me. I always had to walk shitty tiny dogs.

Volunteering at animal shelters in my country seems to mean cleaning shit for a few hours and then walking with a dog for about an hour. Doesn't seem very fun. There's no option to 'just' walk with the dogs - you have to clean dog shit first.

The smell was so awful too. I wonder if all shelters smell that disgusting.
>>
>>2453054
I'd assume yes. Also, shit don't clean itself. It's a nice lesson. You can't always do just the things you want, you have to clean up shit as well.
>>
File: 20170223_233748.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170223_233748.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
My pup passed today. I'm not really sure how to handle all this. What should I do?
>>
File: 20170808_174429.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20170808_174429.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
What's the worst injury guys have ever had with pets or animals in general?... pic related, I nearly cut my thumb off the other night on a can of dog food PSA watch the sharp edges
>>
>>2453079
I got chased by a rottweiler when I was like 4 and it scraped my heels a bit. The real damage was done to my mom's purse, though, because she beat the shit out of that dog.
>>
>>2453056
Lift him up with both hands and do the Tarzan scream
>>
>>2452672
thanks!

>>2453056
let yourself ugly cry

>>2453079
i got bit in the face once because i kissed a dog who didn't want to be kissed. completely my fault and i was taunting the dog with the kisses. gave me a nice busted, swollen lip for a few weeks, and i still have the scar.
>>
>>2452892
Go ahead and try another flavor of the same brand, he may just not like the type of meat in the one you were giving him.
>>
>>2452507
They have fish oil at pet stores now if you're worried. Also egg yolk is supposed to be good for coats too.
>>
>>2452507
I just prick a fish oil pill with a pin and squirt the contents on my dog's paw. If it's been made safe for humans it'll be fine for dogs. Plus it's cheaper than buying fish oil at a pet store, even more so when you have a coupon
>>
Is there any truth to some breeds being bad for first-time owner?
>>
>>2453616
Yes. If you're not really prepared to meet their needs or really experienced with dogs, there's some you absolutely should not have. Dogs like pit bulls and german shephards belong in this category.
>>
>>2453618
I think money and time wouldn't be an issue (I work from home). I'd have a pretty decent backyard too. I have no experience outside of a little dog we had when I was like 12.
>>
>>2453624
I'd still get an easygoing dog. Like a lab or something. You can't go wrong with a lab.
>>
File: images (1).jpg (9KB, 255x198px) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
9KB, 255x198px
Honestly, I'm probably going to buy an Italian greyhound after I graduate. I was just wondering how people find reputable breeders. Like what sorts of things should I be looking for on their websites? I've found a breeder relatively close to my location, and they're CKC registered and all.
>>
>>2453629
Get a retired racing dog.
>>
>>2453628
Are akitas bad?
>>
>>2453638
They're a very high energy breed and I hear they can be stubborn. I may also be confusing them with shiba inus.
>>
>>2453640
Well from what I read they were medium-ish energy, stubborn and don't tolerate other doggos.
>>
>>2453641
You really don't want a breed renowned for being stubborn for your first dog.
>>
>>2453638
I would advise against it for a first time doog
>>
>>2453638
they can be very aggressive towards other dogs. I'd recommend against it unless you really socialize it well or don't plan on interacting with other dogs.
>>
>>2453644
>>2453647
That sounds like reasonable advice.
>>2453679
There's no dog park or anything around here to socialize, would it go batshit crazy on a walk if I came across someone else walking their dogs?
>>
File: bLDe8HW.png (338KB, 639x480px) Image search: [Google]
bLDe8HW.png
338KB, 639x480px
I heard that when you have two dogs and one of them is going to be put down the other one has to see it
Is this true?
>>
>>2453700
This sounds needlessly cruel, even if the other dog could understand what was going on. It's the equivalent of taking a small child to go watch his sibling die in the hospital.
>>
My dog was dropped for daycare today for my graduation and we got a call saying she was nervous and not playing with other dogs.

This isn't an issue when I'm around because I see her interact with other dogs and play. I think it's because we were not there for her she became anxious. Anything I could do to help her anxiety? She is a Blue Heeler who is almost 2 years old
>>
>>2453700
no, not true at all. Why would they need to see it?
Where'd you hear that?
>>
So, I just found a place within walking distance that carries Victor, Taste of the Wild, and Natural Diamond and am considering switching him to one of those.

Which should I get?
>>
>tfw dog gives me those really sad and adorable eyes when he wants some of my food

i never give him any but i feel like shit when he just walks away all sad when he doesnt get any, how do you cope
>>
>>2453724
Was it her first time at daycare? It depends on the dog but it's not unusual for a dog to be nervous and not want to play their first time at daycare, especially if they're not that well socialized to big groups of dogs and they're very attached to you.

If the daycare lets you do it (and if you plan on using it more in the future), go during a less busy time and take a walk around the facility with her. If/when you board her overnight, leave her with a t-shirt you sweated in.
>>
>>2453774
I'm pretty sure diamond owns TOTW so those two shouldn't be that different. I used to feed TOTW and it's pretty good, especially for the price. The duck, bison, and boar flavors are the best nutritionally with boar having the highest protein and fat levels.
>>
>>2453768
So they know their brother died instead of just disappeared and needlessly waiting for his return.
>>
>>2453786
See the thing is, this is her second time. Last time my brother and I dropped her off and she was nervous at first but we were told she played with the technicians. Today my dad and my brother dropped her off (my dad spoils her too) and we got a call saying she wasn't eating or playing with any dogs. I guess it might have something to do with my dad being there when she was dropped off? She plays with dogs when we are in the dog park or going on walks.

I don't know, when we picked her up she also had poop on her tail and cried to go home. I felt bad for her. I really want to help her ease her anxiety so if she had to make a trip there again she won't be scared. I have a free coupon at that daycare place for a training session. The people in the lobby said I should take her to the dog park and I could also meet with one of their trainers to help with her anxiety. I think I'm going to use that coupon because I have nothing to lose and she might even get more used to the place
>>
>>2453774
My dog eats TOTW, and that's pretty good from everything I've read.

>>2453778
Don't give in. My dog has progressed to the "laying his head on my knee while giving me the sad eyes" stage, but he still doesn't get people food unless I put it directly in his bowl.
>>
>>2453803
They get over it.
>>
my pug just had serious abdominal surgery to remove a malignant tumor in his colon. he's on a ton of medication and is miserable. any suggestions on how to make things easier for him during this phase of his recovery?
>>
>>2453813
>pug with a malignant tumor

normal for that breed lad, nothing to worry about id say
>>
>>2453813
Play some nice music

Give him high value stuff if he can stomach it
>>
File: dogeye.png (73KB, 190x217px) Image search: [Google]
dogeye.png
73KB, 190x217px
What's wrong with this dog's eye? Is it genetic?
>>
>>2453985
Oh, and it looks like that in all of his pictures, but his site says his vet says his eyes are good.
>>
>>2453807
>m-muh feelings
You catfags are all the same. If an owner can't be bothered to do the very least amount of research and take care of their pet, then yes, having their pet die to lack of ignorance would probably be the best eye-opener for them.
>>
>>2453992
Wat
>>
File: Snapshot(9).png (485KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
Snapshot(9).png
485KB, 720x480px
the dog that sealed my fate as a dog-person for the rest of my life.
>>
My puppy won't stop biting my feet or hands. She wasn't as bad as she is now, I tell her no and give her a toy but she just keeps going back to me. Any advice?
>>
>>2453774
>>2453790
There is a shop with TOTW near me as well. RIght now I'm feeding my woofster the Fromm heartland Gold food.
Should I switch him out to TOTW?
He is 9mo, so I'm still keeping him on the large breed puppy formula of Fromm.
>>
>>2454359
Fromm is the better food. I wouldn't switch. TOTW is good because it's easy to find. It's great if you don't have access to Fromm or Acana.
>>
>>2453774
Victor carries some pretty nice food. Some flavors are better quality than ToTW and some are about equal.
>>
This seems like as good of place as any. We have had a dog for 2 years now and its a problematic one. She is known to bite during washing, drying, and general grooming or checking for fleas even though we aren't rough with her. Anything we can do to enforce not biting without relying on professionals?
>>
>>2454722
Note: This isn't like a huge dangerous dog that is going to kill someone. Its a Maltese. Its still a problem that needs to be dealt with. I was told it was something to do with inbreeding. Shes already been spayed and neutered.
>>
>>2454724
Are you trying to hold her paws? My dog absolutely hates it when I touch his pawses and I'm slowly trying to get him used to it.
>>
File: hotdogl01.jpg (89KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
hotdogl01.jpg
89KB, 700x700px
>>
File: 1.jpg (591KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
591KB, 1440x2560px
Is my dog a meme
>>
>>2454724
It's probably not due to inbreeding unless she has some genetic condition where her body hurts all over. Sounds like she simply wasn't taught that such handling was OK. To get her used to it you need to go slow and gentle, back off when she shows that she doesn't like you touching somewhere, and offer praise while she allows you to touch her. It will take a lot of patience.
>>
What is a good weight for taking a dog skiijorking?
Doge will be one year old this december, so I think he should be ready to go on hard runs or whatever.
He got weighted at the vet on friday at 33.7lbs
>>
>>2455404
I had to Google what that is, looks fun as fuck. I feel like 30lbs isn't enough but I don't know shit about it. From what Google said it looks like multiple dogs or one big dog would be sufficient. You could always just try it out and if the dog doesn't enjoy it stop. I believe at a year old it could handle the activity.
>>
>>2455404
> Small dogs (less than 40 pounds) are rarely seen skijoring, because they do not greatly assist the skier; however, since the skier can provide as much power as is required to travel, any enthusiastic dog can participate
From the Wiki page
>>
File: Snapchat-1139070442.jpg (505KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-1139070442.jpg
505KB, 1080x1920px
My corgi has been the best decision I've made in my life. Will own a corgi till the day I die
>>
Can kibble be too hard for a dog?. Like might that be a legit reason why a dog refuses to eat a certain food?
>>
Going to switch my 10 year old miniature schnauzer to a new food and I have a question about ToTW Pacific Stream Canine and Puppy.

So according to dogfoodadvisor the puppy one is [A] all file stages and the other is [M] Maintenance. I am curious about which one would be better for my dog. Since it's a small dog maybe the puppy the has smaller food pieces would be better?
>>
>>2456350
No. Puppy foods are specifically formulated for growing puppies. It'd be like feeding a grown man baby formula.
>>
>>2456323
My corgi is the positives of having a small dog with the positives of having a proper dog. I don't know why anyone would want anything else
Thread posts: 317
Thread images: 58

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.