[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cat General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 316
Thread images: 90

File: IMG_20170622_121450.jpg (977KB, 3488x3098px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170622_121450.jpg
977KB, 3488x3098px
Cat gen the sequel. Previous thread >>2405144 Always looking for more/better info to add for OP. Feel free to reply to OP with suggestions
Food & Nutrition
>http://catinfo.org/docs/Feeding%20Your%20Cat%20-%204%20pages%2011-13.pdf
>http://consciouscat.net/2012/03/22/the-best-food-for-your-cat/
Outside Enrichment
>https://catiospaces.com
>http://www.adventurecats.org/backcountry-basics/train-your-cat-to-walk-on-a-leash/
Behavioral problems
>https://thecatsite.com/threads/inappropriate-peeing-problems-answered.9563/
>http://www.catvets.com/public/PDFs/PracticeGuidelines/FelineBehaviorGLS.pdf
Kitten care
>http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+2137&aid=912
Discord link
>https://discord.gg/PkHpg8U
>>
To the anon in the previous thread >>2420259
The kitten care link is about how to bottle feed newborns
>>
File: IMAG05491.jpg (999KB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG05491.jpg
999KB, 1836x3264px
This is my cat. She has been under the care of some good friends since February while I have been away for work. I am getting home next month, but I am terrified she has forgotten me, or will run away from me. Its going to break my heart.
>>
File: sage-plant.jpg (935KB, 1920x1920px) Image search: [Google]
sage-plant.jpg
935KB, 1920x1920px
>discordfag
>>
Okay, I need advice.

This cat is at a shelter and I've fallen in love with her. She's 18 years old, blind, weighs 4 pounds, is declawed on all paws (wince), and was surrendered by a hospice volunteer with 3 other cats when her old owner died. I sat with her today and she curled up in my lap and nuzzled her face into my armpit for half an hour, kneading and purring the entire time. She's in poor condition because she's shit ancient, blind, not groomed, underweight, and has dental disease, but the vet checked her out as otherwise healthy, and the urinalysis they ran came back aside from a little blood in the sample (probably stress-induced).

I really, really want to adopt this cat and give her some good time before she passes, but I live with my family and 3 playful, rough-and-tumble young adult cats. I don't think they'd necessarily be aggressive towards her, but they'd be too much for such an old special needs cat to handle. My house also has 3 flights of stairs that blocking off isn't really an option as well.

Because of all this I'd have to keep her confined to my room. It's about 10 x 12 with large screened windows that take up half the outer wall, so she could smell the breeze and listen to birds during the day. I'm home in my room almost all the time because I'm currently unemployed and don't see that changing in the immediate future. I also have two rats in here that are housed high enough that their safety wouldn't be an issue (but they might be interesting for her to listen to). My backyard is a large, grassy garden surrounded by huge wooden fencing where she could safely wander and enjoy the sunshine with my supervision. Money is not an issue, but I wouldn't do anything crazy like surgery trying to extend her life considering her age.
>>
File: grandma.png (249KB, 450x337px) Image search: [Google]
grandma.png
249KB, 450x337px
>>2420481
My question is, would it be fair to keep her in these conditions? The shelter she's at doesn't euthanize except for serious health or aggression issues, so if she needed to she could spend months there waiting to be adopted (though I felt a hard lump under her neck that makes me wonder how long she'll last). Perhaps it would be better to leave her be in hopes some nice quiet family will come take her to a home where she can freely roam. I just worry because every day she spends there increases her chance of contracting a URI, which in her shape I don't know if she could bounce back from. It's kitten season so there are already a lot of younger, healthier, prettier cats than her getting passed over in favor of them.

I'm a "fixer" and had a fucked up family/life I know I tend to project onto animals in cases like these so I can't tell if I'm being selfish. If my family's cats take it well I could potentially baby gate off the top portion of the house and give her 3 rooms + hallway, but there's no guaranteeing either my cats or folks will be amenable to this.

Pic related, it's grandma.
>>
>>2420478
Literally nothing wrong with Discord
>>
File: Grass nap.jpg (244KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Grass nap.jpg
244KB, 1024x768px
>>2419834
>How often is "not super frequent"?
About 10 times over the past 3 1/2 months, but it's oddly sporadic even with no dietary changes. Like she'll go 3 weeks without throwing up, then do it a bunch of times in one week. It's like her barf-period or something.

>>2420000
It's chunks. Small, but chunks.

Also nice quads.
>>
>>2420481

That genuinely sounds like a perfect place for an old, blind cat - she'll probably be happier in a smaller space that she knows well rather than roaming an entire house and potentially getting lost and confused, and having plenty of time with you and safe access to screened windows and even time outside sounds like a very pleasant and comfortable retirement home for a little old lady of her years. If you have the capacity to look after her with your other cats and can handle her health issues, I think she'd be very lucky to go home with you.
>>
File: IMG_20170701_111308218.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170701_111308218.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
I have a strong desire to lick the kittens
>>
>>2420599
Lick that little yellow booger out of his eye.
>>
>>2420608
*her
The entire litter but one kitten is girls
>>
File: IMG_0323.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0323.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
fat fuck 2
>>
>>2420481
I have to agree with the other anon, in this situation smaller space may actually be better. Make sure not to move furniture around often, it may confuse her. Also keep in mind her health problems may cost some money, even euthanasia isn't all that cheap. But if you're up to it I think it would be fine. I was going to link a video from animal planet about how to make cats feel comfortable in small rooms, but with such an old cat, and the fact that it's blind, it probably won't make a difference. Also feed old cats pate wet food if you can, a cat that old is probably missing a great deal of teeth or whatever is left is probably loose or painful.
>>
>>2420561
If it's still in visible chunks I'd have to go with the dry food being an issue. Assuming the chunks are dry food. Try switching to wet food only, maybe pate, and see if it still happens.
>>
>>2420466
There is not a chance in hell the cat forgot you.
>>
>>2420481
Agreeing with the other guys. Give her some nice place. She must be stressed, staying at the shelter with other cats, and she's already taken to you. Adopt her. Just be careful with your rats, *they* might get stressed from having a cat in the same room (or maybe they'd understand she's old and harmless? I don't know much about rats, but they're smart).
I think it's pretty cool of you. Old cats get no attention because kittens are soooo cuuuute, so you're doing good here.
>>
File: P02-06-17_23-42.jpg (532KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
P02-06-17_23-42.jpg
532KB, 1600x1200px
my qtp2t
>>
File: IMG_20170701_220547.jpg (100KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170701_220547.jpg
100KB, 1280x720px
3 weeks old and already doing cute poses
>>
Yo I made friends with stray momma and babies. Going to grab kittens and neuter them cuz they like us already. Kittens are about the age of kitten in pic. Momma is shy and won't like us after catching babies. Any good way to catch momma? We retarded college kids in band on student housing, so they have to be indoor/outdoor cats cuz noise, but we will get them shots and feed them. Bad or good idea?
>>
File: IMG_20161229_235700.jpg (3MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161229_235700.jpg
3MB, 2592x1944px
how to unfat the cat?
>>
>>2420890
I would advise bringing the kittens to a shelter. Student housing don't allow pets do they? It's so much easier to get them adopted out while kittens, older cats can easily die even in a no kill (they don't get adopted, stay too long to get URI, get too ill and can't shake it then die). Paying all that for even 2 kittens will easily reach half a grand anyhow. Ask the shelter to borrow a have a Hart trap and set it up for momma cat, and either bring her to a shelter or call around for TNR or cheap spay clinics, but figure out where you can bring her before you set the trap.

I highly, highly discourage both letting cats roam free outside and having pets in a no pet housing situation.
>>
File: Kitty 1 and 2.jpg (2MB, 3375x1854px) Image search: [Google]
Kitty 1 and 2.jpg
2MB, 3375x1854px
Thursday night I was at work until around 2:30 in the fucking morning and Friday night I was there until about 3:30, I haven't been that tired in a while. When I woke up today I looked at the cable box and saw I slept until almost one o'clock in the afternoon with both cats on the bed with me.

Is it ever slightly possible that somewhere in those tiny little brains they recognized how beat down I was and decided to show mercy to me and let me sleep? When I walked into the kitchen I saw that both their food dished were empty and they will usually start trying to wake me up around 9 am when all the food is gone.
>>
>>2420977
Cute black cats. Siblings?
>>
>>2420991
No but they came from the same shelter a year apart.
>>
>>2420994
They're very shiny and look properly witchy. Congratulations.
>>
File: IMG_2528.jpg (1MB, 2777x1971px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2528.jpg
1MB, 2777x1971px
>>2420996
>and look properly witchy
>>
>>2420892
Less food, more exercise.
>>
kittens: 4 weeks old
males: kept away by the Kitten Protection Force (me and my dad spend our days sitting outside)
Queen: won't stop whining and pwarring and breeeking and meowing and whatever. She lost her voice six months ago before we adopted her and now she's back and loud af.

The biggest 400 gram kitteh is brave to the point of idiocy. When a male cat came and I didn't react immediately he (kitteh) started looking for teats on the big cat. That annoyed the old cat so he tried to give the kitteh a bitchslap if not something worse so now he's not allowed within a fifty mile radius

On the other hand he's the only cat who seems to protect the local area from another cat who's an even bigger asshole.

On the third hand I'm pretty sure he's responsible for the numerous bruises and wounds on mommy

Am I doing this godfather (catfather?) thing right?
>>
>>2421382
Kotfather. How tf did I miss that
>>
Is it possible for kitties to become bonded like rabbits?
>>
>>2420905
We can have pets where we are living, just have to pay a fee. I found a place to get them neutered and medical stuff taken care of for very little money. I think we very well may end up just adopting them and having them be indoor cats. Just need to find a way to give them a quiet place. I'm starting to think it is unrealistic to have them be outdoor cats at all. Just need to convince friends.
>>
File: 1.jpg (863KB, 2984x1676px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
863KB, 2984x1676px
Any advice / home remedy for a cat with gingivitis? pic related, ain't my cat but his gums look just like that.

I give him every night a dab of Dentisept toothpaste which contains Chlorhexidine (before I gave him Orozyme toothpaste) but I haven't noticed the change I'd like.

He eats fine, plays around, sadly he's not the one to eat raw meat or chicken giblets to work the plaque off.
The vet said we could try antibiotics but I like to dry more natural remedies first before giving him a medical cocktail.

So does anyone have advice on how to treat inflamed kitty gums?
Someone told me to try out colloidal silver drops but isn't that dangerous?
>>
>tfw rejected by their cat
>>
>>2421540
By a toothbrush and toothpaste (I use petrodex because my cats like the taste, the brushing less so) or some of those plaque sprays, make sure they are non alcoholic I use the arm and hammer pet one.
Colloidal silver is pure quackery.
>>
>>2421526
If you need to convince them just Google outdoor cat info. Pretty much all cat rescues and organizations are against free roaming outdoor cats period, and they will give you more reliable sources than anecdotal evidence on 4chan.
>>
I adopted a feral cat 2 months ago and slowly gained his trust to where I can pick him up, touch his belly, and he occasionally comes to me if he wants to be pet. But my wife and I are concerned about his progress stalling because he still doesn't like my wife (he's non-aggressive) and although I feel like he wants to be loved, he'll still run away or reject me at times. Do you guys have any advice or new strategies to keep building our trust with him? He's come so far from how antisocial he used to be and want him to keep getting more friendly. I understand some cats will always remain feral no matter what. Sorry no pictures because I can't upload from mobile.
>>
What's a good healthy brand of wet canned food?
>>
>>2421540
That cat is a grade 1/4 dental disease, which is great, because it can indeed be treated at home. Here is a list of feline oral health products approved by the Veterinary Oral Health Council: http://www.vohc.org/VOHCAcceptedProductsTable_Cats.pdf

Brushing with enzymatic toothpaste is the best way to maintain oral health at home, but I understand not all cats are amenable to this even with a proper slow positive association intro. If he won't tolerate the brush, even putting some paste on a piece of rough gauze or washcloth and rubbing it on the teeth is better than nothing.

Prescription dental diets like the ones listed on the pdf above do work, but they're not very healthy, so just feed some kibble as treats or supplements. The point is that the kibbles are very large and crumbly, which forces the cat to chew and scrapes the surfaces of teeth.

>>2421891
Depends on what kind of money you're looking to spend. Wellness CORE, Merrick, Tiki Cat, Nature's Logic, and Weruva are some of the best you can get, but they'll absolutely cost you.

Some brands that are more middle-of-the-road in terms of cost/quality include Taste of the Wild, Natural Balance, I and Love and You, and Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul.
>>
>>2420481
>>2420484
Post more pictures of her if you adopt her
>>
File: 20170526_192242_HDR-1.jpg (816KB, 2240x2232px) Image search: [Google]
20170526_192242_HDR-1.jpg
816KB, 2240x2232px
>>2421825
Here's a picture of Claude
>>
>>2420585
>>2420694
>>2420853
>>2421979
Thanks so much for your input, anons. I'd decided to take your advice, so I brought my mom to meet her yesterday and spent today cleaning my room to prepare - but I just checked the website and it looks like she was actually adopted this morning by someone in my hometown. I guess someone else fell in love with her just like I did. I'll keep my eye on the website to make sure she isn't returned, but otherwise - hope she has a wonderful rest of her life.
>>
>>2421540
>>2421977

Thank you anons, I have a baby toothbrush with soft bristles and one of those finger gloves and will try to massage the toothpaste in rather than just giving a dab on the affected area.

Let's see, some combination of paste, spray, camomile mouthwash and kibble has to work.
>>
>>2421701
We ended up just adopting them all. Pretty broke after buying all the stuff for them, but it's worth it. I feel like I got ripped off on buying the cat litter, $9 for a little bag big enough to fill it to the recommended level once, wtf. It ain't too fancy cuz their shit still reeks. Then I find a deal online for like a 20-something pound bag of cat litter for $15. Are pet stores just bullshit or what? Also, is it normal for kittens to have wet shits? We were feeding them mostly wet food (feeding them dry now) and they were eating out of dumpsters prior. They seem pretty healthy for being dumpster cats living under wet cars; going to take them to vet later, of course. Played, cuddled, bathed all in first day/night; they're adjusting very well.
>>
File: IMG_20170703_181800371 - Copy.jpg (1MB, 2080x1560px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170703_181800371 - Copy.jpg
1MB, 2080x1560px
Last night I picked up a kitten from the street.

Today I got it to the vet, we treated it for fleas etc, and told me it's about 2 months old.

The kitten is kinda docile, and easily scared by loud noises or unexpected movements. It does not appear to be aggressive (except for when the vet sprayed it with a flea product, where it hissed and straight up clawed him, but I expect this was normal behaviour?)

Will it come to learn leaving in a home with people or will it always stay sort of feral-ish?

Pic related. it's her. Her fur looks a little shit because she was sprayed. I will bathe her tomorrow. Oh boy, it's gonna be fun to my poor hands.
>>
>>2422337
>leaving

I meant living
>>
>>2422296
Smaller bags of anything in a brick and mortar store will cost more than the larger bags per lb. There is of course a reason behind it, the cost of shipping, packaging, material etc. If you're strapped on cash you can look into litter substitutes. I'd recommend getting the largest thing of litter you can manage because in the long run it will save you money. It's recommend to have a litter box per cat and one extra one, and ideally the litter boxes aren't supposed to be next to each other or close to food or water. You can make big cheap litter boxes out of plastic containers. If you think that's a lot, you will be mighty sour when it comes to vet visits
>>
>>2422337
>get sprayed with chemicals
>they smell like straight poison
>attack offender

???
>>
File: 20170703_180538-3024x2268.jpg (1MB, 3024x2268px) Image search: [Google]
20170703_180538-3024x2268.jpg
1MB, 3024x2268px
Rate my catto
>>
>>2422337
Just gave my 3 newly domesticated (sort of) kittens a light bath.... oh boy. First one flipped the fuck out, but no blood and the rest just tried to get out. Might go with gloves and double layer of long sleeve next time because I had to let the crazy one out or it would have hurt itself and us.
>>
>>2422369
I don't mind paying if I get a good deal. Is it actually necessary to have 3 litter boxes? I've never heard of this before. They are shitting in it constantly without problem and all 3 kittens could easily fit inside with room for extra. I was really surprised how they immediately knew what to do once I put them in there.
>>
File: 20170703_203154.jpg (2MB, 2000x2836px) Image search: [Google]
20170703_203154.jpg
2MB, 2000x2836px
kitter getting shit done
>>
>>2422427
Snuggly/wuggly.
>>
So according to these links, cats should have more wet food than dry food?

If I don't want to buy canned wet food, can I wet dry food and moosh it up a bit?

Additionally, are there any more sources which confirm this?
>>
>>2422609
My vet told me dry food makes cats fat because of all the carbs in it and can cause diabeetus if that's all they eat. I try to get them to eat more canned food but they just eat a little around the sides and it ends up getting thrown away.
>>
File: 508.jpg (161KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
508.jpg
161KB, 1280x720px
Question: Do docile kittens get more and more aggressive as they grow up and hit puberty? If so, does castration makes them less agressive?
Long story short, my family adopted a kitten, the vet told us to wait untill it hit puberty before castration (less health issues), now it seems to have reached it and it's behavior is becoming more confusing, it comes around asking to be petted or for company, than it gets mad for no reason (even if no one is touching it) and we have to put it out of the room for it get calm, few minutes later it's meowning again and only get's calm when it comes near us, only to get angry once more...
All vaccines taken btw.

Pic related, so docile some times and yet might try to rip your finger to shreds because "fuck you, human"...
>>
>>2420466

>your cat will 100% remember

cats remember everyone mate

i had to leave my kitty with my uncle for 2 years when i went to college, i had tears in my eyes driving away i was so sad ;(

but after 2 years the cat remembered me and now it lives back with me and we are bros again, cats never forget. esp if you are its main owner. it was waiting for you mate
>>
>>2420977

cats could skip a meal with less consequences than a human could, cats can go on low food for 1-2 days for traveling and they will be fine. they are a little flexiible with their nutrional needs and wont sperg out if you feed them a little early or late once in a while. if you are passed the fuck out they def feel that comfy vibe and want to snuggle with you. ive noticed when im fucked up or super exhausted my cat comes and rests with me too. if a cat could sense you mood which we think that can, why couldnt they feel you were tired? makes sense to me
>>
>>2421995

not one of them, but im glad that cat found a home. you are a good cat owner either way tho. i am afraid to go to a shelter myself because i will feel sad and adopt another animal :(
>>
>>2422427

cute and cuddles with a stuffie? 9/10 kittu

>>2422554

people reccommend getting that many litter boxes because if the cats dont like each other they want the seperate boxes

if you have sibling cattos that get along fine or bro cats they will use the same one but you will have to clean it alot

just either get a FUCKHUGE one or get a few small ones mate. when those 3 are big cats you are not going to be able to maintain 1 regular one unless u scoop it twice a day

>>2422609

dude i just read that article too, fuck. the food i give my cats has no meat by product, no grains, no bullshit. its dry though, and by that article its still bad...i dunno, my cat wont eat wet food like >>2422611 said, and my vet told me to give them dry food after they get 1 year old

basically just get them top tier dry food and they should be fine. but low tier dry food is really honestly shit. if you read the ingredients its like corn by product and chicken meal (aka ground up bones, guts, etc). the grain can make them fat and fuck them over. i think it comes down to just reading the ingredients on the side and paying a few extra $$ for the healthy food
>>
File: 1498690892114.jpg (75KB, 750x530px) Image search: [Google]
1498690892114.jpg
75KB, 750x530px
How do i take my cat on walks? It never seems interested. It also hates being on the lead too
>>
>>2422647
I think cats have a harder time with human aging than remembering.

As a kid, me and my cat were best buds. When I moved away, I hit my growth spurt and came back twice as tall, smelling different, and sounding odd as well. She wasn't that thrilled. As an adult visiting my 19-year-old cat, she's as thrilled as an animal that old can express being safely.

Also, my current cat loves adults and is horrified by children of all ages for no good reason. I've owned him forever, he's never been hurt by one. Looked at a swaddled newborn like an atomic bomb. Awaiting nearby children aging to prove theory.

Cats can't into wee humans.
>>
>>2422659

dont, my gf cat escaped its harness and got hit by a car

theres a reason you dont see peoeple take cats on walks and only fucking wierdos even try it

just don't

(if you really want it to go outside, build a wood and chicken wire enclosure)
>>
>>2422631
How much exercise/playtime does this kitten get on the daily?

>>2422659
You need to build a positive association with the harness/lead first. In the beginning, put on the harness, give treats, take it off, give treats. Rinse and repeat slowly lengthening the time the harness stays on.

If your cat isn't interested, though, there isn't much you can do about that. Some cats just don't give a shit about going outside.
>>
>>2420599
Do not lick the kittens
>>
>>2422697
>How much exercise/playtime does this kitten get on the daily?
A lot, it's pretty active, it's either taking naps or running and jumping all over the place, we got it a few toys too.
>>
>>2422337
yea brungo

i've had my cat for 10 years now. found it in a walmart parking lot.

had her spayed and (i was younger at the time) had her front claws removed. feel bad for that one.

but she is a very healthy well adapted cat. I feel for her. shes skiddish but I let her do whatever she wants.

when I first got her i read an article about dropping your cat into a litter box after they eat when they are kittens. shes never had an accident since.
>>
Is toxoplasmosis a danger for owners of indoor cats? Or is it practically avoidable with regular litter changing and cleaning?
>>
So apparently you guys are cat experts, please help me out

>buddy moves to a new house
>calls me to help with carrying shit
>get into house with a hug of boxes
>cat comes to check me out(pretty new cat, never met her before)
>dont see her because boxes all the way up to my chin
>stop to look around to find a suitable place to leave the boxes out of the way
>actually stop ON cats tail
>dont even realise because wearing boots until cats starts swinging at my pants
>think she is just playing because no screaming
>stay on cats tail for solid 3 seconds before realising and moving away
>cat bolts under couch
>now every time I visit cat hides under couch and makes hellspawn noises

How do I fix this
>>
>>2422337
>>2422551
Well, I just bathed her and things went pretty alright. Apart from a few 'I accept my fate' meows and some futile attempts to get out of the water, she took it like a champ; colour me amazed. I even managed to clip her claws before bathing her and clean the inside of her ears afterwards.
>>
>>2422789
Fixing this will require you devote time and effort trying to get on her good side again. If you are willing to spend the time, all it takes is just offer her food to make her trust you again. But not just serve her food and leave. Bring her food and stay next to her, and try to pet her.
>>
>>2422807
>Bring her food and stay next to her
I tried, she will hiss and wont come near me
>>
File: image%3A4469.jpg (111KB, 740x700px) Image search: [Google]
image%3A4469.jpg
111KB, 740x700px
>>2422809
Give her some time and keep trying to bribe her with food/treats
>>
>>2422802
i do not clip claws of my kot
>>
>>2422631
Anyone else has any idea about this?
>>
My cat got ina fight, do you think he needs meds and stitches or just time to heal?
>>
>>2423197

Fuck anon, take it to the vet. How is this even a question in your mind?
>>
>>2423221
Hes acting fine, hes had worse, and it doesnt smell or leak anything, if its necessary ill take him but it seems to be closing a littlw after a day. Ive been rinsing it with saline twice a day
>>
>>2423197
definitely vet. cat bites are very toxic and can cause a nasty infection
just took my cat to the vet for the same thing a week ago cost about 500$. there was a lot of puss they had to drain and he needed antibiotics. just got his stitches out today
keep your cat indoors for now on.
>>
>>2422580
good kitty
>>
File: rROmJlh.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
rROmJlh.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
Grover has perfected chilling
>>
>>2423335

Good kitty
>>
My kitten has lymphoma and is slowly wasting away. The meds don't help and I think we will have to put her to sleep soon. It really hurts terribly, seeing her so fragile and silent is tearing my heart out. I can't deal with the throught of her going away.
>>
>>2422786
As far as I know toxoplasmosis can be carried by any cat, indoor or outdoor. It's more likely for a cat to come in contact with it outdoors though, as it is spread through the environment via feces. That being said, you basically have to ingest feces to get infected. It seems hard, but it can happen easily if you let your cat walk on surfaces that you eat on.

>>2423478
I'm sorry to hear that anon. Once she is gone she won't be in pain anymore
>>
File: IMG_20170705_132544.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170705_132544.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
This is my new kitty. His name is Frank. I adopted him from a friend who found Frank and his siblings in a box at an abandoned job site.
>>
File: IMG_20170705_132735.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170705_132735.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>2423874
He's a big ham. How long does it take for kittys to mellow out and become lazy shitheads?
>>
>>2423877
Like 2 years. Some earlier than others.
>>
File: IMG_20170615_232130.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170615_232130.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>2423877
When he sleeps he reminds me of a rubber chicken.
>>
File: IMG_20160614_010009.jpg (2MB, 3268x2444px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160614_010009.jpg
2MB, 3268x2444px
>>2423879
This is Cleo. She's my cat that I adopted a few years ago. She's a big baby and I don't think she likes her new little brother Frank. The first week Frank came home, Cleo lost her voice from hissing at him so much.
>>
File: lazy bellies.jpg (61KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
lazy bellies.jpg
61KB, 540x960px
Mid-day nap time for Momma and Boy (no relation)
>>
File: IMG_20160604_161320.jpg (2MB, 3026x4028px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160604_161320.jpg
2MB, 3026x4028px
>>2423881
>>
File: 3 lazy bellies.jpg (309KB, 1920x1440px) Image search: [Google]
3 lazy bellies.jpg
309KB, 1920x1440px
>>2423882
Little Black Cat showed up
>>
>>2423881
Remember, cats do best with slow introductions. Keep them separated by a baby gate and feed them in the presence of one another to form positive associations.
>>
>>2423907
Cute family. That's a nice cat tree, too. How much did it run you?
>>
>>2423913
the white one on the left I got for $160 CAD (down from $200) and the grey one on the right I got for $80 (down from $100)

The black girl and ginger boy are rescues from the humane society and the calico girl is from a local druggie who was giving her up
>>
File: 20160905_182909.jpg (842KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20160905_182909.jpg
842KB, 2048x1152px
I'm curious as to why my cat likes to walk around as she's being pet. Quick rundown for you guys.
>sitting/lying in bed
>call cat over by snapping fingers
>If she wants pats she comes
>LOVES the pats, but just keeps on walking onto my lap, then over to the other side of the bed, back and forth
>Miiiiight sit down after doing this for five or ten minutes

Why doesn't she want to sit still?
Btw she's just a regular domestic short hair
>pic very much related
>>
>>2423335
That cat looks like it needs sunglasses and an upright bass.

Chill/10 cat.
>>
Tips on shoving worming tablet down cat's throat?
>>
>>2424023
Try putting it in a meatball. If food doesn't work, try putting it as far back down the cats throat as possible, attempt to keep it's mouth shut and blow at his nose from a distance. Supposedly blowing air down a cat's nose makes it more likely to swallow, like rubbing a dog's throat.
>>
File: catcomic.jpg (1MB, 1536x2893px) Image search: [Google]
catcomic.jpg
1MB, 1536x2893px
I used to have a cat named Spectre when I was a kid. I loved the little thing but I don't think she loved me back. I want to get a cat but I'm not sure I can live with the pawsible rejection.
>>
Hey guys, attempting to get my almost 3 month old kitten on a meal schedule. I believe she was free fed at the adoption center as she cries to me during the days sometimes for food. I feed her at like 7-8 then at 11-12 before I leave for work, then again at 4-5 and if I'm off late at 11 she gets one last little meal, or she gets fed at 9 if I'm not. My question is does this seem like a good plan? I'm thinking of leaving that last little meal out all night so she has something to eat while I'm sleeping. I usually take it away when she's done. Only feed her half a cup maybe a little more a day. Dry food by the way
>>
>>2423950
That's cause they have scent glands on their heads. When I pat my cat, sometimes I just let my other hand rest on her head and she just kind of pushes against it.
>>
>>2424066
Something every cat owner and prospective cat owner should know: Cat's will generally respond to you correlative to how much you interact with them. It won't be 1:1, but the more attention you give your cat, the more it will like you, unless you get some 1% cat with a fucked up brain.

The reason this is so is because even though cats aren't social animals (at least not like dogs), the way we feed them, brush them, isolate them, etc. is the same thing its mom does, thus you are reverting it to a kitten like mindset. And kittens are social! With their moms.

I've lived with 6 different cats in my lives, and all of them have been like this, from siamese, to persian, to ragdoll, to tabby. My most recent cat is a wild cat, real bitch at first, now she follows me around the house when she's awake, sleeps next to me, and pretty much absolutely adores me.

Just spend a lot of time with them, brush them regularly, give them treats, and definitely play with them daily. And give them a nice, secure, safe place to sleep when they want to get away from you.
>>
>>2424103
Oh also, keep them as indoor cats. If you never let them outside they literally won't know the difference so they won't bitch about it. Just keep some screened windows open so they can get fresh air and smell birds and such.

Outdoor cats tend to be more feral (duh!)
>>
>>2424091
How much are you feeding at each meal?

Honestly, when they're kittens there's no harm in free-feeding. Kittens are so active and high-energy that it's not really an issue if they get a little tubby. I got mine on a feeding schedule at 4-5 months, and only because they almost starved to death as newborns and now are so obsessed with food that they're incapable of self-regulation.
>>
>>2424108
So at first I gave her half a cup in the morning. She obviously isn't going to eat her whole days meal in one sitting so I let her eat for like 30 minutes, then take it away till next feeding time. This way I'm making sure she's eating half a cup a day. I think im going to start feeding her a quarter cup a time now so she's not overwhelmed. Very tempted to free feed her though because of my work schedule
>>
File: 0706170537a.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
0706170537a.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Hey, don't like using this place or any other as a "IS THIS CANCER" question type of deal but any clue what this little scratch is on my cat's bottom lip?
I noticed it a few days ago, it hasn't affected his eating as far as I've noticed but he doesn't like me touching it or near it moreso than when there wasn't this scratch thing.

>inb4 just take him to the vet
he's 16ish with sarcoma, only reason I'm going to the vet concerning him is to either put him down which I'm considering soon or a refill of his asthma meds
>>
>>2421984
>>2421825
are you aware of his age? It may just take a large amount of time for him to be truly comfortable, depending on how old he is, it may take you trying the same thing repeatedly and then giving him space for months just to get him to get use to certain things.

are you always trying to touch him when he is close? he may just want to come in close to smell you and stand by your side, he may not want you to start rubbing your hands all over him right away, maybe just let him smell your hands and if he lets you, try to rub behind his ears with a finger or two
>>
File: IMG_0036.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0036.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>2420892
that cat looks comfy
>>
File: tumblr_os6837lVXY1qewacoo2_500.jpg (51KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_os6837lVXY1qewacoo2_500.jpg
51KB, 500x500px
>>2420436
>love both of my cats very much
>both are 7 years old
>everytime I see the gray hairs they've grown on their back, or their now gray whiskers, get emotional
>feel bad over not giving them enough attention due to studies and worry about them suddenly dying and not having lived a good enough life
Am I experiencing my cats' middle age crisis for them?
>>
File: IMG_20170706_150906.jpg (2MB, 2156x4048px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170706_150906.jpg
2MB, 2156x4048px
My silly little calico likes to climb up walls as if they were trees.
>>
File: IMG_2090.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2090.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>
File: IMG_2082.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2082.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
>>2424746
This mutt is neat
>>
File: IMG_20141005_130724.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20141005_130724.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>Live in foreign country with SO, who is from that country
>We have two cats, one is technically mine (black and white) and the other is technically his (grey) because he had her before i moved in with him
>they are the fucking best
>but our relationship ends after 4 years
>fuck i can't take my cat on a 12 hour flight to live with my parents who have like 10 cats for a few months and then move that cat AGAIN to god knows where, it'd be completely unfair and chaotic
>so i leave him with his best friend and my ex in foreign country
>miss him every day
>been over a year now
>still miss him every day

i just hope the cat forgot about me and doesn't miss me the way i miss him. i miss my ex's cat a ton too but I know she's fine. Thinking about getting another cat in the next few months but fuck he was so good. He was so sweet. Loved people, loved belly rubs, never sassy, really goofy and loved to make me laugh. Just wanted to hang out with you and get some pets. It's hard to think I'll ever have a cat that was that perfect.
>>
File: lazing around.jpg (359KB, 918x1632px) Image search: [Google]
lazing around.jpg
359KB, 918x1632px
Would you scritch?
>>
>>2425290
>Niggers
This is expected behavior.
>>
File: 20170707_213713.jpg (3MB, 4128x3096px) Image search: [Google]
20170707_213713.jpg
3MB, 4128x3096px
My friend's cat ha been getting really bad rash in the last few weeks. She's been trying everythingshe can think of, but nothing really works. As toy can see, she's getting really scabby on the neck and head, and it's spreading to her belly and now the bottoms of her feet. Any ideas? She's berm getting medicine rubbed on he but it only helps a little.
>>
>>2425290
Someone does this to cat, they're gonna get fucked.

When I was a kid, I had this neighborhood kitty I'd feed and play with. This lardass tweaker next door took it one night and put it in a microwave.

Had he still lived there when I was old enough to beat his ass, I'd have fuckin' wrecked his shit.
>>
>>2425327
to my cat*

So angry I can't even type right.
>>
>>2425316
Jesus. Have they done a skin scraping to check for parasites? Mites, etc.
>>
>>2425331
We haven't tried that yet, honestly. We know it's not contagious, because there's five more cats in the house that aren't showing the same problems. The house was re sided a few months ago, but the workers didn't mention anything about asbestos, contaminants, etc.
>>
File: 20170707_213723.jpg (3MB, 4128x3096px) Image search: [Google]
20170707_213723.jpg
3MB, 4128x3096px
>>2425379
Here's a picture of her belly. I couldn't get a picture of her feet, but they're kind of raw.
>>
>>2425316
>>2425383
Not all external parasites are highly contagious. There's a type of mite called demodex that is present in skin and hair follicles (even ours) and normally doesn't create problems, but can become overgrown and cause mange, especially in cases of animals with suppressed immune systems.

It's most likely either parasites or a VERY bad allergic reaction to something. Food or environmental, hard to tell. This is something that needs a medical opinion regardless, so if she's been skimping on going to the vet she needs to nut up and shell out ASAP.
>>
File: cat4.jpg (50KB, 349x463px) Image search: [Google]
cat4.jpg
50KB, 349x463px
>>2420436
I'm allergic to cats, is it possible for me to get a cat and not be destroyed by allergies?
>>
>>2425402
Depends how allergic. Most people are allergic to a protein in the cats saliva called Fel d 1. All cats produce this protein, then they lick their fur and skin so it gets on them and can get everywhere. The thing about this protein though is that cats will produce different levels of it and it's unpredictable. Because it's unpredictable (so far) we have not been able to successfully breed for cats that will produce less of it. But, it does mean that any average mutt may produce less of the protein than average. So then the question is how much of it can you handle, and finding a cat with fel d 1 levels that you can handle. There is also ways to deal with allergies if they aren't severe like air filters, vacuuming and keeping the place tidy in general.
>>
>>2423241
If you're not going to accept the proper advice to bring the cat in like you should, then why are you asking?
>>
This shouldn't be a board or thread for health advice. If you every want to know if you should bring your cat in to see a vet because of this or that ailment, the answer is more than likely yes. If you're not doing so because of the cost, YOU CAN NOT AFFORD AN ANIMAL. You need to be able to maintain the health and food costs of an animal before assuming you can care for it. Just providing it a place to sleep isn't even the bare minimum.
>>
>>2420481
I dissent. Put her out of her misery before things get any worse.
>>
>>2424788
People are only lent to you, and that includes cats.
>>
File: hbeLDEM.jpg (295KB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
hbeLDEM.jpg
295KB, 2448x3264px
>>2425712
That's a sweet sentiment, thanks anon
>>
File: 20170708_170048.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170708_170048.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
I posted earlier abouy my cats face so thought id update
Its healing well, and hes been less grouchy. He reopened a little 2 days ago from scratching it, but hasmt since then. Its still obviously furless, but the wound looks fine.
I treated with peroxide twice in the first 2 days, and rinsed with saline daily until yesterday, at which point I switced to just water to remove any dirt
My other cat has been cuddling with him and cleaning him occasionally, which he always has, but has been sweeter lately and did so more often when the wound was fresh
>>
File: 20170708_170330.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170708_170330.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>2425698
See
>>2425853
Also here's the good boy sleeping
>>
>>2425853
Keep an eye on it, especially if it becomes swollen or sore. If it seems to bother him, it may be vet time.
>>
Finally moving to an apartment that allows cats.
Ive been going to the shelter to meet some cats and oh boy. Im so excited. This will be my first cat. Any beginner tips?
>>
>>2425069
Would scritch/10
>>
>>2422756
>had her front claws removed
There's no reason to feel bad about that. An indoor cat has no use for front claws other than to damage furniture.
>>
>>2426623
You might as well get your legs removed
>>
File: T2xTlVJcfDE.jpg (219KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
T2xTlVJcfDE.jpg
219KB, 720x960px
>>
File: hqdefault[1].jpg (17KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault[1].jpg
17KB, 480x360px
What is the MOST effective cat repellent?
Looking for a group consensus.

Cat is peeing on and near the couch. Her health is fine, she's getting along with the other cats, the litter boxes are fine. It always starts when my wife is visiting her parents for a weekend which she does pretty regularly but once it starts it's very difficult to get stopped because it just pisses my wife off, which upsets the cat and spirals.

I'm also going to catnip the litter boxes. I just want to know what kind of scent you've found to repel them most effectively.
>>
File: 1483071116005.png (110KB, 362x370px) Image search: [Google]
1483071116005.png
110KB, 362x370px
>grandmother's cat was sick for weeks, died of unknown causes even after being taken to vet
>died sometime last week
>today
>8 year old niece brings over her three kittens to the same house
>starts putting them in the old (dead) cat's bed and starts feeding them out of the same dish
>tell her that is not a good idea
>family jumps all over me and calls me "paranoid"
>get into semi-big argument
>tell them it's on their hands if three kittens die needlessly and they will have to deal with a very sad little girl
>they don't care because they are "just cats anyway"
>these people call themselves adults
>>
>>2426623
Dogs have no need to bark other than to be annoying shitpiglets. Might as well debark them all.
>>
File: IMG_0506.jpg (164KB, 640x639px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0506.jpg
164KB, 640x639px
Is this abnormal behavior in cats? My buddy's girlfriend posted this picture on social media and it's sort of concerning
>>
File: 20170312_205705.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170312_205705.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Mine and my gfs cat, he really likes hiding under carpets for some reason
>>
>>2426844
There's a sexy member of the opposite gender cat out there and it can smell it
>>
my cat has been sleeping since yesterday and now I'm noticing she can't walk properly. She keeps her hind legs together and meows when I pinch them softly. She hasn't eaten much during the past few days too
What do I do? the vet isn't available until tomorrow morning (12 hours at least)
>>
>>2426975
Are her back legs cold to the touch?

You need to take her to an emergency clinic if one exists in your area.
>>
>>2426998
no, she's warm. And no I'm in the middle of nowhere.
I tried touching the base of her tail and it seems like it hurts the most there. Also she's not comfortable lying sideways
>>
Every black cat I have known as been awesome. Be it pet or stray.

Is there some sort of scientific evidence to this or just a coincidence? I can name 11 off the top of my head, including my own. Most were males.
>>
File: OyeQeYF.jpg (82KB, 615x800px) Image search: [Google]
OyeQeYF.jpg
82KB, 615x800px
>>2426605
Most important thing is to just read up on cat body language and act accordingly. It isn't like a dog's body language at all, so learn what ear positions mean, what kind of tail wagging means what, and different sounds. Give them a little space if they need it, based on the body language. Happy adopting!
>>
File: IMG_20131002_230547.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20131002_230547.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>2427033
I feel this way, but about black/white cats. They were all really chill, really goofy, and very sweet.
>>
File: IMG_6319.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6319.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>tfw you try to foster a kitten but can't because you fall in love and adopt him

Best snuggle buddy
>>
File: Frank and Louie, adult 2.jpg (199KB, 1080x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Frank and Louie, adult 2.jpg
199KB, 1080x1600px
Thoughts on Frank and Louie?
>>
my cat's tail fell off lmao
>>
File: Names-for-Tabby-Cats[1].jpg (17KB, 300x200px) Image search: [Google]
Names-for-Tabby-Cats[1].jpg
17KB, 300x200px
My cat looks like this, what breed is he? I'm thinking bengel?
>>
I got a new kitten home. I found it on the street one week ago and now, after I dewormed and de-flea-ed her I brought her home.

Today I let her out of her cage in moy room in order to get accustomed to the house, bit by bit.

She goes under the bed all the time, whenever I leave her alone, instead of going to her place where her food, water and bed are.

How can I make her drop this behaviour fast?
>>
>>2427264
Post a pic.
>>
File: IMG_20170710_171655223 - Copy.jpg (1MB, 2080x1560px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170710_171655223 - Copy.jpg
1MB, 2080x1560px
>>2427267
When she leaves that spot she moves across the room fast and crouched, which means she is scared.
Sometimes she even tries to leave when i make a move towards her, but if I do manage to have her in my hands/lap she does not try to escape
>>
File: C81Kd9oXYAAAdaw.jpg (179KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
C81Kd9oXYAAAdaw.jpg
179KB, 900x1200px
>>2427264
>>2427271

It's natural for strays. They never like new places at first.

My cat. Bobby (pic related), was a stray since birth, picked up off the street at six months. When we first brought him home, first thing he did was bolt for the nearest hiding place, which turned out to be in the corner of the room, under the arm of an Arm Chair. I was the one who eventually managed to coax him out.

I basically just started laying out treats in full view and taking a step back. He would come out, take the treat and run back. After repeating it for a few times, We decided to put his bed, food and water just outside his hiding place. It basically became his own little safe haven.

After a while, I moved onto feeding from the palm, it took a while, but he started to take the treats from my hand. From there, I moved onto trying to stroke him while he ate.

In short, try and coax them out with food, and just be social with them while they eat (sitting and talking to them usually works.) In time, they'll grow acclimatised to you. When I finally managed to break in Bobby, he would come out from under the armchair whenever I dangled my arm in front of him. Tentatively at first, but after a while would come at my beck and call
>>
>>2425402
My sister has a cat and is allergic to them. It's some sort of long-haired mix that was touted as being hypo-allergenic but that's bullshit. She just grooms the cat regularly, and vacuums the house every week and she's fine. When the cat's hair gets too long she gets her shaved like a lion.
>>
>>2427261
It's a mutt, was probably never a breed. They call his markings a tabby if that helps
>>
I feed my cats with dry food mostly. I wonder if its the same as wet food if I let it absorb some water or something
>>
>>2428010
>if I let it absorb some water
...I mean, maybe? Probably won't be the same level of moisture, and your cat will be less likely to eat mushy dry food.

Just buy the wet food, bro.
>>
>>2428037
it's way more expensive where i live (and i have 7 indoor cats i rescued). i buy whenever i can but they seem to like dry food with water heh
>>
File: IMG_20170711_170346_029.jpg (573KB, 972x1560px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170711_170346_029.jpg
573KB, 972x1560px
Is this a male or female cat?
>>
File: IMG_0539.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0539.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
I've got a family of cats living under my house. It's a male who's been around for a while, a female who recently showed up and looks a lot like a previous stray that showed up and I adopted, and their kittens, of which I don't know exactly how many there are. I need advice on attracting the kittens out so I can better take care of them. They're old enough to eat regular food.

One of the kittens was easy and simply walked right into the house and rubbed up next to an old tomcat I have plopped himself down. The other(s) are hiding about in various places undernieth, so I haven't been able to get a good count on them. At least one comes out to eat who's light grey with pale orange markings, but I might've seen another in hiding (Or it might've looked more white due to the flashlight reflecting off it and it was the same cat). What's the best way to lure these cats outside of their hiding spots? I don't want them trying to worm their way into the ducts or somewhere they can't get out of.
>>
>>2428182
Why don't you show a picture focused on its genitals instead of its shitty asshole?
>>
>get two cat sisters
>raise them from when they are little furballs that fit in my palm
>now they're big adult cats
>they fuck up one too many things
>pee on clothes and other things
>claw up window screen when window is open
>splash water out of their dish all over the kitchen floor
>track litter everywhere (which isn't their fault but still)
>generally stress me the fuck out
>want to get a new couch but know they'll probably wreck it
>decide to give them to APL
>appointment to surrender them is mid-August
>the one that never seemed to like me that much is suddenly the most friendly
>suddenly not doing the thing where she claws everything she touches
>wonder if I'm making a mistake
>deep sense of guilt and remorse
Will their cat-brains forget I even existed? Will they find a better home? Will their new owner feed them good food? Will they be separated from each other?

There was a point where I was like "my life will be so much better if I no longer have cats" but now I'm feeling like I'm going to carry the burden of having given them up, forever. Also I live alone so it's gonna be hella lonely. Why is surrendering them to the APL such a slow process, if I had done it while I was mad it wouldn't even be a question.

Thanks for reading my blog.
>>
>>2428500
>Will their cat-brains forget I even existed?
Most likely, but they will not forget that they once had a comfortable life if they end up being abused.
>Will they find a better home?
They are adult cats, so the adoption process will be much slower for them. If the APL euthanizes, they will be first in line for the cats, especially if the stress makes them display behavior problems (which it sounds like they're prone to).
>Will their new owner feed them good food?
See above.
>Will they be separated from each other?
In all likelihood, yes.

I would keep your cats, Anon. You and your home are all that they've ever known from a very young age, probably less than weaning age since you said they fit in your hand. There are ways to deal with behavior issues (that don't involve spraying or hitting your cat) and the stress of moving to a shelter or foster home will not be good for their health. Since they are adults with improvement needed in the behavior apartment, they will be very unadoptable in the eyes of the shelter.
>>
>>2428520
>There are ways to deal with behavior issues (that don't involve spraying or hitting your cat)
Which seems to be trial and error is the thing.

e.g. peeing on things. You think they're done doing it until they do it again. I live in a rental so if piss seeps into the carpet down to the padding I'm basically boned and it's a pee-carpet at that point.

The way I'm living I basically have the doors on every door closed just to limit the amount of real-estate that's even available to fuck up.

I don't see how I can train them to not claw at the window screens since I'm pretty sure they're drawn to animals or whatever the hell is going out there. So I keep the windows closed.

Notably they clawed *the paint* on the wall below the window sill, it's a habit they have when they can't reach the window itself and hear birds and what not outside.

Basically it's a sanity thing. There's no way to know what they're going to fuck up until they fuck it up. And they might go weeks without fucking something up and then suddenly decide to fuck it up. So I can't sleep through the night.

I still have five weeks to decide but all I really want is stability and predictability in my household. They make that very difficult to achieve.
>>
>>2428529
As for the peeing, you may just need to buy a litter box for each room in your house. It doesn't need to be an expensive one. Cats that have behavior urine problems are basically killed as soon as you leave the shelter. It sounds cruel, but they are virtually unadoptable. If you tell the shelter about this, or if the cats pee a lot at the shelter, they will die.

Besides the litter boxes, try adjusting the diet. If you feed them canned food often, cut down. Maybe get smaller water dishes.

Are you cleaning the pee spots with an enzyme cleaner? If you don't, the cats will just sniff that area and remember that they peed their once and do it again.

As for the clawing, get a scratching post for each room if you have to. They are very cheap if you just get a generic post or board and prop it up. Invest in a large cat tree if you can so they will have an area they'll hang around more. Put it by the litter box, bed, food dishes, etc. so they can know that's their territory and do their business there.

Again, if you go to the shelter and they do euthanize, you are essentially killing your pets. It sounds bad, but that's what it boils down to.
>>
>>2428543
>As for the clawing, get a scratching post for each room if you have to. They are very cheap if you just get a generic post or board and prop it up.
Or buy those claw caps. Sorry anon, it sucks, but this dude is right. If you give your adult cats with behavioral problems to a shelter, they'll most likely die. I know it sucks to hear, but shitty people don't spay/neuter their pets so shelters are overrun with them.
>>
>>2428529
>>2428543
Oh yeah, and it sounds unlikely since both your cats do it, but get them checked by a vet regarding their problem urination. It could be stress related or a URI or some other issue.
>>
>>2420977
I think humans are narrowminded in their perception of animal empathy, cats and dogs and whatever else all have their own emotions, and live them more innately then humans tend to, that said, maybe they figured you were really beat, and that you'd all be happier if you could get some decent rest, so they didn't put up a fuss.
>You should thank them for showing you that kind of respect and consideration.

Animals are simple, not stupid.
>>
>>2422789
respect it's want to stay away from you, and try to come across as positively and respectfully as possible, eventually it'll learn you're safe.
>or
bribe it with treats until it loves you for your treats
>and not for any other reason

It probably intends to kill you brutally.
>just kidding, animals don't hold grudges, they just need to be sure you're not a threat
>>
>>2423197
>if you don't want to spend shitloads of money you could just use your first aid knowledge and sanitize the wound gently, shave and dress it if it's bad.
>>
>>2423874
D'aww
He seems sweet
>and looks disconcertingly intelligent
>>
>>2428529
Having any animal at all adds a level of unpredictability, that's just life and the more lives you add to your life the more probable something unpredicted will happen. This is what everyone signs up for when taking in an animal; they are taking in everything that comes with it, even if it's not expected. on the other hand, you get rid of the cats and will have to live with guilt and curiosity for who knows how long. Some people get to skip this step because they simply don't care, but it doesn't sound like you're one of those lucky people lacking empathy. However, luckily for you, there are answers for your questions and you were born in the age of information. If you must, lock the cats in a bathroom for a few days with food, water and litter until you read what needs to be read about feline behavior issues.

Didn't mean to go on a rant, you just provided a good opportunity for it.
>>
>>2428575
>who knows how long
About as long as it takes him to drive back home before they are euthanized for having urination problems.
>>
>>2428577
They don't have "urination problems" though. One of the two cats likes to pee on piles of fabric. If I leave nothing on the floor, she will pee on nothing. I already asked my vet about it when she was still a kitten, and the answer essentially was that some cats see piles of clothes as a valid peeing surface. I don't think it's anymore complicated than "this feels good to pee on".

Basically like everything else they do, I have to rearrange my entire lifestyle to compensate for it. That means keeping them out of my bedroom and never leaving clothes, bedding, etc. on the floor at any point. Can't open windows because they'll claw at the walls. Can't hang curtains because they'll climb the curtains. I don't see how I train them out of something like that. Oh, get them a cat tree so they can get their climb on. They'll climb the cat tree, and the curtains too. Basically just give up on having nice things is what it seems to come down to.

Also the APL doesn't euthanize cats to make space, I specifically asked. I can easily see them being separated from each other though.
>>
>>2428587
Also one thing to note is I've had a cat before and she didn't make my life miserable like these two do. She just wanted to chill and hang out, sit on my lap, fall asleep in my bed. These cats were found in the wild as kittens and I call them "forest cats" because they do wild shit that I'm not used to at all. They're very averse to humans, don't like to be picked up, don't sit on laps, and hardly even like to be pet except in rare scenarios. They're just different.
>>
>>2428587
>One of the two cats likes to pee on piles of fabric. If I leave nothing on the floor, she will pee on nothing.
Then the solution is to not leave piles of fabric on the floor. Simple enough. Invest in a laundry basket or something that the cats can't reach.

>Basically like everything else they do, I have to rearrange my entire lifestyle to compensate for it.
Welcome to pet ownership.

I dunno why you'd have piles of clothes and bedding on the floor anyway, especially if this behavior has persisted since they were kittens.

I gave you some advice above. A cheap scratching post board in every room, take the cats and show them how to use it. Help them scratch it and when they do, give them a treat. Try this with urine too. If you see them peeing in the litter, give them a treat.

They would benefit from a big cat tree, I think, because it 1.) gives them a place to scratch and climb and 2.) when placed by their bed, good, water, litter, etc. will give them a sense of having their own territory, so they'll be less likely to wreck your stuff.

>Also the APL doesn't euthanize cats to make space, I specifically asked. I can easily see them being separated from each other though.
If they make it to adoption, just assume they will be separated. And, unless they specifically are a 'no kill' shelter, they will euthanize their cats. Maybe it won't be for the specific reason of 'making space'. They'll tick a box that says 'irreconcilable behavior' or something to that effect, and your cats will be euthanized. It has happened a million times in the past at a million different shelters.

I'd say you could just lie to the APL and tell them they are well behaved cats, but since you've already made an appointment they're most likely already aware of why you're giving up your perfectly fine cats who have lived with you their entire lives. Plus, you moving them to that environment is going to stress them the fuck out and their behavior will just get worse.
>>
>>2428587
Different anon, but if they're a no-kill shelter, I don't see a problem with giving them up. It's definitely not a good thing to do, but you sound very unhappy to own them, which isn't good for either you or the cats. Some shelters will offer the option of contacting you in the case that they're going to be euthanized (this is beneficial for the shelters - brings the kill numbers down).

They will almost certainly be separated, but most cats adapt to that. Some do bond very strongly to one another and are upset when separated. You should probably be able to tell from their personality/interactions how they'll do.

They will forget you. Most pet owners feed garbage brands like Science Diet because they simply don't know any better. Whether or not they find a good home is up to chance.

That said, it sounds like the source of most of the problems is that they're young cats that are making trouble because they're bored. You could try playing with them more often, ideally to the point of panting.
>>
>>2423879
*melting*
Yeah I see the resemblance tho
>>
>>2428615
>garbage brands like Science Diet
w-wait, is science diet not good? what should I be feeding my cat?
>>
>>2423963
Word.
>>
>>2428599
>Then the solution is to not leave piles of fabric on the floor. Simple enough.
Literally not that simple. In one instance I had a pile of clean, folded clothes on my bed. She peed on them.

>I dunno why you'd have piles of clothes and bedding on the floor anyway
Because before things can be put away, there is in intermediary state where they are not yet put away. I could have a pile of clothes because I am sorting clothes to be washed. It could be a basket of sorted clothes. I could have a pile of clothes because I am sorting clothes that I just washed. A pile of fabric could be a curtain panel that I am in the process of hanging up. A pile of clothes could be the clothes I just took off prior to showering. A pile of bedding could literally be my bed comforter bunched up on the bed because the bed isn't made. It could be a wool coat that was on a hook but fell down for some reason. It could be a blanket that I wrapped myself in on the couch. It could be a rolled up sheet of carpet padding that was meant to go under an area rug (I had to throw it away). It could be a sleeping bag intended for guests who are too drunk to drive home. It could be a cat-bed you bought specifically for her to enjoy.

No offense but you're underestimating the possibilities; I've dealt with this for more than a year.

One thing I'm thankful for is she's never pissed directly on the carpet. As far as I know.

Which is the other problem: a lot of the time you don't know until you pick up that thing and realize that it's wet, or maybe actually dry but smelly.
>>
>>2428615
If they told him they 'don't kill to make room' it's essentially telling him that his cat won't die for no reason. It's a common tactic used at shelters to make pet owners feel better, and there are plenty of stories of people who are crushed after the shelter tells them they're not going to kill their pets...and then kill the pets before they even walk out the door.

It sounds like this anon simply does not have enough supplies or has not given his cats enough training because his last one had a chill personality who didn't need much maintenance.
>>
>>2428641
>Literally not that simple. In one instance I had a pile of clean, folded clothes on my bed. She peed on them.
Then don't leave them on the bed. Put them in a drawer. Have a laundry cabinet or drawer where you keep that stuff. If a friend needs to sleep in a sleeping bag, keep the cats out of the room. Maybe it's not your norm, but your norm is going to have to change if you don't like pee on your stuff.

If you put a litter box in every room your cat goes in, minimize the time you have fabric laying around your house, and get a scratching post for every room your cat goes in and/or a cat tree in their 'main' room, you will eliminate all of these problems. Your cats will have their own space/items and you can preserve your curtains and fabric. Buy treats, lots and lots of treats, and train them. If you don't want your cats to have the extra calories, give them a tiny bit less food and feed them kibbles.

If you're giving them wet food, cut down on that too for now while you train them so they'll pee less.
>>
File: 20170126_203338.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170126_203338.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>
>>2428657
So cute
>>
>>2420436
Just got a new cat. Trips decides her new name.
>>
File: 20161211_212608.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20161211_212608.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Loves watching TV and taking my spot when I get up
>>
>>2428662
Make sure she doesn't swallow any of that yarn! It could cause major health issues, and if it happens in the middle of the night you may not have a vet to do an emergency procedure.
>>
>>2428646
>It sounds like this anon simply does not have enough supplies or has not given his cats enough training because his last one had a chill personality who didn't need much maintenance.

This. There are plenty of other ways to make the situation work anon. Get claw caps, take better care of your laundry, get more litter boxes (they say you should have a litterbox for each cat, PLUS one), get a cat tree, play with them more (your problem sounds like 90% lack of exercise and mental stimulation), train them. You can do that, or you can send them to death. Or put them up on craigslist and hope whoever takes them (if they get taken) won't abuse them or use them for dogfighting bait or something fucked up.

I know it sucks, but those are your options. And for the love of god really think about it before you ever get another pet so you don't find yourself in a situation like this again.
>>
>>2428659
Fitzgerald
>>
Oh I know, I do keep it away from her thankfully that hasn't happened, but I do have a lot of problem with hairballs and sheding. She's pissed at me now because I had to brush her and her belly
>>
>>2424318
Try and look at your situation objectively, have you involved yourself to a degree you're comfortable with in their lives, and have they lead happy lives?
Rather then lamenting over what could have been, you can change the trajectory of the years to come and spend more time with them if you feel it's necessary.
>this is a weird type of cat psychology
>cat owner psychology
>>
>>2428587
Employee of a no kill shelter here. We would kill your cat for behavior problems. We never euthanize for space but we will euthanize for aggressiveness, illness and other behavior problems. And yes we will lie about it too if you call and specifically ask about your cat, we generally just play dumb. Cats with ANY litter box issue, even something treatable like a UTI, is euthanized for. Cats are more commonly surrendered for litter box problems than any other behavioral problem, no one wants a cat that pisses on shit and everyone is getting rid of their cat for that reason.

Have you tried reading the link in OP?
>>
>>2422670
the destiny of your gf's cat is not the destiny of every cat, too many who have suffered grief feel like this. they are free individual spirits who deserve to roam and return.
>>
>>2428623
Dry food is shit, grains and other fillers are shit, anything that doesn't specify what kind of meat is shit, and it should have Taurine supplements in it. A good brand would be like tiki cat or Weruva.
>>
>>2428587
Wait, why don't you close the door to your bedroom when you have laundry on the floor or keep your cats confined to a cat piss proof room while you're gone?
>>
>>2428623
Sorry anon, it's shit. Like I said, most people just don't know any better because the information isn't widely available, and it's a damn shame.

catinfo.org is a good read, if a long one. If I was going to condense what to look for in a good cat food, it'd look like...

1. Wet > dry. By virtue of the processing method, dry kibble almost always contains more fillers, starches, and other bullshit your cat doesn't need to be eating. Wet food also contains ~7x the moisture content, which is important to keeping the feline urinary system healthy since they naturally don't have much of a thirst drive.
2. No corn, soy, or wheat products, or artificial colors/preservatives.
3. First ingredient listed is a meat. Not something vague and sketchy like "animal meat", but simply turkey, chicken, etc.
4. 3+ of the first 5 ingredients listed are meats. 2 is minimum and kind of skirting it, but I've seen many decent foods with two meats listed as the first two ingredients.
5. If not grain-free, you want grains to be further down the ingredient list.

I often recommend Taste of the Wild. It's about a buck for a 5.5oz can, $13ish for a 5-pound bag.
>>
>>2428662
She looks fucking regal, like a duchess or something.

>>2428659
Lady Gaga.
>>
Is this a tabby?
>>
File: IMG_20170616_155901844_HDR.jpg (4MB, 3006x5344px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170616_155901844_HDR.jpg
4MB, 3006x5344px
Potted kitten! her name is stela and I plan to adopt her in a few days!
>>
File: tumblr_mrfomhK2Qm1qdtw9eo2_400.png (208KB, 294x422px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mrfomhK2Qm1qdtw9eo2_400.png
208KB, 294x422px
>6 years old, get a big black cat, first ever pet
>she was really skittish and didn't like attention mostly but sometimes she'd let me hug her and pet her
>20 now, had to put her down in january because of a tumour in her jaw, kept her going by feeding her calorie gel and kitten milk via syringe for 3 weeks until she just didn't care anymore/seemed to be getting worse
>still miss her pretty bad
>can't get another cat right now for financial reasons
feels bad man
>>
File: cat.jpg (2MB, 3000x2250px) Image search: [Google]
cat.jpg
2MB, 3000x2250px
here's my dumbass cat
>>
>>2428845
sorry for your loss. losing a lifelong companion always sucks.
>>
>>2420436
My cat!
https://youtu.be/91OilcS1_bE
>>
File: IMG_20170710_180645976 - Copy.jpg (623KB, 1248x1664px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170710_180645976 - Copy.jpg
623KB, 1248x1664px
>>2422337
>>2427264
>>2427271

Ok people, I seriously need advice.
It's the 3rd day now that I've let her free in my house (mostly in my room), and she is still very afraid of everything.
She is afraid of sudden noises, she is afraid of sudden movements, she gets scared if anyone approaches her walking like normal and not super slow, and she gets afraid if you make a move to approach her with your hand to pet her.
Still, if I manage to grab her and take her in my lap to pet her, she does not try to leave, she likes getting petted. The difficult part is catching her, she can only be lured and approach by wiggling her toy. Or with food.
How do I improve the situation? How do I make her approach me and not get scared when people walk towards her?
>>
>>2429328
She's not going to become unafraid overnight. A few days ago she was in the wild; a sudden noise meant maybe a predator and death. If you demonstrate over a long period that people and her surroundings are harmless she'll become more comfortable around them. She just needs (peaceful, non-stressful) time.
>>
>>2429328
She's still settling in. It can take some cats weeks, especially if they've had bad previous experiences (as a stray is likely to have had).

You need to be patient with her and not force the process. Don't get frustrated; it's not your fault and it's not hers either, she just needs to learn that people aren't going to hurt her like they have in the past. It's great that she can be lured because you can use the food/toy drive to build positive associations.

Try walking at normal speed as near to her as she will allow and dropping a very tasty treat towards her midway. Don't stop to interact or attempt to pet - you just want her to learn that good things will happen when people walk by her. Repeat the process gradually decreasing the distance away from her. You could also try walking while dangling a long string or other toy behind you for her to chase after and gradually shortening its length, so she has to come closer to get at it.

Sit quietly on the floor and treat her every time she approaches you. Throw a fucking party. Rip lunchmeat into tiny squares and feed her 4-5 pieces while praising her (animals recognize quantity of reward better than quality - 6 tiny treats is better than a single treat double that size). Have family/friends do the same thing so she generalizes the experience. She will learn that very good things happen when she comes to people.
>>
>>2429348
Thanks, that's some practical advice. I will literally need to be walking around with a little bag of cat food it seems.
>>
My neutered cat masturbates on my microfleece blanket almost every day, sometimes multiple times a day. Is that normal or does it mean he's unahppy?
>>
A little kitten has moved into our garage, showed up out of the blue a week or two ago and has been living there since. We have been feeding it and it slowly gets more and more brave, it used to be really shy and skittish. I am wondering what course of action should be taken because we would like to take it in to live at our house.

How can I get it to be more comfortable around me and not scared? Also so we can take it to the vet and get shots/fixed. I have been able to put tuna fish in a bowl and it come up to me, maybe like 3-4ft away. Should I buy treats?
>>
>>2428520
>Most likely
bullshit

cats remember people

I came back to my parents home after not seeing my cat for 3 years and he loved me and snuggled with me a bunch
>>
my cat smells and rolls around in my dirty clothes all happy

does that mean he loves me?
>>
>>2429637
Yes! But it will still eat you after a few days of your death
>>
>>2429641
proof?
>>
>Adopt cat
>Take him to vet for general health check
>Ear infection
>Need ear drops
>Cat freaks the fuck out every time I go near his ears

Is there a trick to doing this? Even the vet had to get someone to help him just to show me how it's done. I tried wrapping him in a blanket but he jerks his head around and flattens his ears out so I can't get any in
>>
>>2429893
Just be patient and gentle. If you can, offer him catnip or something when you have him wrapped up in the blanket/when you get close to hisbears
>>
>>2429657
Proof: It is a cats instinct to eat food. After being trapped indoors for a few days it will begin to starve and search for the first viable source of food.
>>
>>2429904
>offer him catnip
That seems like a pretty awful idea to me. That's like the opposite of calming them down.

I took in a stray with really bad ear mites so I had to do something similar. I'd pet him a lot, get him relaxed, and then kind of straddle him with my feet behind his butt so he couldn't back out. I'd talk to him in a comforting voice, hold his head still with one hand, and with the other just put some drops in real fast and then put the drops down. He's gonna wanna shake his head, but that'll loosen the drops, so you gotta massage his ear, like you're petting it, to bring him comfort, let the drops settle in, and let him know there's nothing in your hands because now both your hands are on his head. He'll whine, but just keep talking to him and massage his head for like a full minute so when he finally is able to shake his head the deed's already been done.

Then make nice by giving him his favorite treats and shit.
>>
>>2429893
You could try giving him a treat after putting the drops in
>>
File: 4seasons.jpg (203KB, 1179x772px) Image search: [Google]
4seasons.jpg
203KB, 1179x772px
My bf and I's ideal life is getting a big van, converting it into a livable van that we'd stay in for weeks or months at a time, and traveling. We're going to take our dog with us.

I know most cats would be pretty unhappy in this lifestyle, especially if you just start it out of nowhere when they're adults. But if I were to ever get a cat again, I'd get it as a kitten and teach it to like baths, walking outside on a lead, car rides etc as a kitten so it's used to this shit. Do you think a cat raised like that would be happy traveling along with us? We'd do a lot to accommodate him in the bus/van and I've read stories about road tripping cats and cats that drive with truckers. Opinions?
>>
>>2430242
>that pic
comfy af
>>
>>2430245
isn't it tho. i would love a catbro in that pic too.
>>
File: Atlas-2-of-14.jpg (924KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
Atlas-2-of-14.jpg
924KB, 2000x2000px
>>2430261
>>2430242
So it turns out this was what I was looking for

http://www.adventurecats.org

so that's really exciting. Still would like to hear /an/'s thoughts though.
>>
>>2430268
A few years back I met a couple that does something similar. They spend the winters in the Midwest and in the summertime they load up a little trailer and go work as Park Rangers in the Southwest. They have two cats that they bring with them.

One cat is a bit skittish so he's not allowed to ever leave the trailer. The other is super friendly, so whenever one of them is off-duty and back at the trailer they put him on a leash and tie the leash to a tree next to their spot. He's strictly indoors whenever they're working, but sometimes they take him on walks.

So yeah, it can work if the cat is raised that way.
>>
>>2429893
Alright I kinda figured something out, if I lay him on his side and hold onto his scruff he stops squirming around long enough for me to get some in his ears, he still shakes his head but it's better than it was
>>
>>2430268
>>2430242
I think it's fine as long as it's raised that way from a kitten and has the temperament for it. Very relaxed and friendly, not skittish.
>>
how can i tell if this stray that comes to the house is a boy or girl
>>
>>2430544
ask em
>>
File: IMG_20170712_182716086.jpg (2MB, 2340x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170712_182716086.jpg
2MB, 2340x4160px
Why do cats love small boxes?
>>
>>2430544
If it's unfixed it should be fairly easy. Otherwise you'll have to actually feel it's privates. And that kind of sucks.
>>
>>2420478
sorry, no one wants to go back to paying 10$ a month for a server maybe 10 out of the 100+ posters will go to.
>>
>tfw had to give my cat away

I don't wanna be a bitch, but why do people get so attached to pets? I feel like shit, it was a 10/10 cat, best one I've seen all my life probably.
>>
>>2430768
Sorry you have to go through that anon. My family had to give away our cats a few years ago. It was painful, one of them was a cat we saved when he was found wounded on our porch, the other two we got as young kittens and I bottle fed them/took care of them. I still think about them sometimes.
>>
>>2430877
Yeah that one I saved from the street to, but I couldn't keep it for more than 3 months because I'm allergic. It was literally the perfect cat too.
>>
>>2430544
unless it's super hairy you should be able to tell, even if it's fixed
>>
>>2426844
Pic is probably taken mid-yawn.
>>
I found some cat food that's accidentally been in my car for at least a month or two. Canned, sealed, chicken and fish-based. It's summertime and I park on the street, so it gets really hot in my car sometimes. Is it still safe to feed to my cats, or should I toss it?
>>
>>2431012
Throw that shit out
>>
File: 1500067819374.jpg (59KB, 325x326px) Image search: [Google]
1500067819374.jpg
59KB, 325x326px
>>2420436
>>
>old cat's kidneys starting to fail
>getting frequent constipation
>really bad today with rock hard turd stuck in butt
>gave up trying to squeeze it out
>wouldn't eat or drink anything all day
>schedule vet appointment at 24 hr clinic
>reminds me that cat always shits in carrier during car rides
>tax cat for car ride
>10 minutes later cat lets loose huge shit and pisses in the carrier
>the stench plus knowing the cat is sliding around in it on the way home
Fear. Natures laxative.
>>
>>2431215
Poetry.

You giving subcutaneous fluids at home? It'll help with the kidneys and constipation both. Very easy procedure.
>>
Any recommendations on how to sufficiently tire out an adult cat at night? I feel bad because he's obvious bored and has a lot of energy, but he's not very interested in toys if I'm not there to play with him
>>
>>2420436
My cat died today. I'm giving him a good 'ol-fashioned Irish wake right now. My friend, sleep the sleep that knows no dawn... you've earned it. And thank you for all the memories.
>>
>>2431317
There's some toys that a cat can play by himself if it's a matter of being busy. A lot of them require batteries though. I have an automatic laser light thing I turn on for my cats before I go to work to tire them out and to keep them focused on a light instead of me leaving
>>
File: IMG-20170610-WA0013.jpg (104KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20170610-WA0013.jpg
104KB, 960x1280px
>>2420436
>go abroad to work and make money for college leaving behind cat that I've been taking care of since last semester
>tl;dr employer fucks me over for most of my paycheck
>nothing I can do about it but get another job (which I did)
>finish overnight shift today and brother texts me that the cat died today
>got into the neighbours yard and was mauled by their dogs
>tfw one of the only beings you care about dies and you have to find out over text
Life is pain and suffering. RIP Khloe. I'll miss you man.
>>
>>2428659
boi
>>
Any advice on how to feed a small colony of feral cats without dulling their instincts and losing them to coyotes?
>>
>>2428500
cats mellow out with age and will stop a lot of their annoying behavior; however if you end up abandoning them do the world a favor and never get pets again as you're a terrible person
>>
>>2431546
damn anon, that's sad so to hear that. such a qt kitty, rip
>>
>>2429467
Anyone have an answer for this? He does it several times a day and I'm not sure if it means he's understimulated or something, or if cats just do it. Not a troll question.
>>
>>2431323
>>2431546
RIP.

damn sad day, anons. sorry for your loss
>>
>>2420481
Give the ol' girl some cuddles and a quiet place to spend her last days.
>>
>>2428500
Did you end up killing your cats?
>>
My neighbours cat keeps sneaking/breaking into my apartment.
I'm not a cat person, and I have no idea why she does that.
>best guess is that the neighbours two dogs give her a hard time

I covered my windows with netting to repell insects, thinking it would keep her out too, but she still keeps breaking in.

Wat do?
>>
>>2431317
Ping pong ball in the bath tub.
>>
>>2431861
Humping is rarer in cats than in dogs, but it does happen. It can be a stress/aversion to change issue or understimulation issue, but it can also just be that your cat was neutered later in life and keeps doing it because he learned sex feels good.

Several times a day does sound like understimulation/stress relief. Don't punish him for doing it, but try distracting him with a toy or treat when you see him start making bedroom eyes at your blanket.
>>
>>2431546
>>2431323
Sorry anons, losing a pet is the worst feelings
>>
>>2431731
There's not really a way to do that, because if you feed them a bit, it will create more cats that will rely on your feeding. Then you have kittens, then the kitten's kittens. Before you know it, you have to buy $60 of food just to keep them all afloat because there aren't enough mice and birds to catch to sustain them. And there's nothing you can do about coyotes. Even if you got rid of coyotes in your area, cats travel and have pretty big territories so they can be killed elsewhere.

What I'd suggest is contacting a local TNR group and work with them to try to fix the feral colony so they won't make more. That way you can still feed a little bit without creating a ton of kittens you'd either have to feed or kill by starvation. If you can not do that, just don't feed them at all and they won't rely on you feeding them.
>>
>>2432483
Are you sure she's coming in through the windows?
>>
>>2428659
Convoy
>>
File: Reaction (1731).jpg (42KB, 365x327px) Image search: [Google]
Reaction (1731).jpg
42KB, 365x327px
Cats is on her last days and I have no money to put her down.
>>
File: download.jpg (45KB, 645x380px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
45KB, 645x380px
How do I find a reputable cat breeder? I really want to adopt a sphynx but I'm not sure where to start.
>>
>>2433505
just kys
>>
>>2433507
But then I'll never experience the joy of cat ownership.
>>
>>2433489
Call your local humane society. Most of them will offer highly discounted or even free euthanasias if clients genuinely can't pay and their animal is suffering.

Some vet clinics will offer this too. Call, explain your situation, and ask about a payment plan.
>>
>>2433509
there's no joy in it unless you're "infected"
>>
ive been feeding some stray for a month or so

suddenly some other cat ive never seen before is waiting outside the door waiting for food

can cats communicate with eachother? wtf is going on
>>
>>2426665
>"just cats anyway"
>they'll have to tell her that when the kitties die
Sorry, anon, your niece is going to grow up with some major issues
>>
File: Picture 4.jpg (2MB, 5168x2907px) Image search: [Google]
Picture 4.jpg
2MB, 5168x2907px
>>2420436

My bengal cat Beau seems to wear the pants in the relationship.
>>
>>2433682

>if dis nigga don't shut the fuck up
>>
>friend's pet dies
>whole class laughs about it

>>2426665
>pet dies
>who cares because we have bigger things to worry about other than pets such as the family's economic situation and parents' failing marriage
such is life in the third world
>>
>>2433597
>meow mrrow mowow
otherwise other cats can smell the food off the stray and stalk him back to you

>>2433682
comfy attic
>>
>>2422609
Cats dont have a high thirst drive. They evolved to get most of their water through the meat that they eat, so while they do drink, if you only feed them dry they arent getting enough water. That can lead to kidney problems later in life. They also get addicted to the carbs in dry food, making them fat. Some dry food is better than others, but pretty much any wet food is better then dry. Free feeding a cat dry food is the most unhealthy way to feed a cat there is.

At least mix a spoonful of wet into their dry once a day or something, it will help.
>>
File: 2cat.jpg (2MB, 3987x2729px) Image search: [Google]
2cat.jpg
2MB, 3987x2729px
My two sister kitties
>Taking out the trash at work one morning
>Hear mewing from the dumpster
>Some sick fuck put 6 newborns in a shopping bag in there, likely from the apartment complex nearby
>Take them home, bottle feed them, take them to the vet to get checked up on
>All 6 survive, find homes for 4 once they are old enough

Best friggen cats ever. I've never met such social and loving cats.

It sucks right now because my wife and I are sunbunrt from camping and the black one likes to knead.
>>
>>2426665
That's infantilism, when you fail to take responsibility of something and just diminish it's importance to deflect fault from yourself.
The only cure is cyclone B.
>>
I lost my last cat on Sunday. She was 20 and her sister passed in April. I've had these cats as long as I've been alive, it's hard knowing I'll never see them again. Cherish your cats, give them the best life you can give them. Going through this thread has made me feel a bit better, I hope all of your cats live well and bring you a lot of happiness.
>>
>>2433820
>some sick fuck put trash in a trashcan
How dare you?
>>
>>2433947
>cyclone B
Thanks, I'm using that name in every MMO I play from now on.
>>
>>2425402
>>2425642
I am also allergic, but I'm pretty sure I'm not allergic to Fel d1 because every cat produces that, and I'm not allergic at all to some cats. Is it possible to be allergic to the hair or dander instead of one of the proteins in their saliva? I'd like to get a Balinese or a Russian Blue, but before I drop $1500-3000 on one of those I'd like to know if they are hypoallergenic in any way other than reduced Fel d 1 production.
>>
File: 1368395316898.jpg (47KB, 249x498px) Image search: [Google]
1368395316898.jpg
47KB, 249x498px
>>2433682
>cute guy with catbro

>>2433820
You're a good man, anon.

>>2433951
Sorry for your loss, anon. 20 is a great run for a cat; they must have been well-loved.

Post pics? But not if it makes you sad to look at them.
>>
>>2432806
Thanks anon. Sounds like I need to play with him a bit more.
>>
File: 20170411_230530.jpg (919KB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170411_230530.jpg
919KB, 3264x1836px
>>2434026
This was the last picture I have of both of them together.
>>
File: 1e7.jpg (28KB, 600x320px) Image search: [Google]
1e7.jpg
28KB, 600x320px
>>2434079
>qt pair of matching calicos
>>
File: IMG_0473.jpg (2MB, 3021x3870px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0473.jpg
2MB, 3021x3870px
>>
>>2433951
Same, I had 2 cats and one left two years ago when I came back home for spring break. Now my last one is old and he's getting put down Thursday.
It hurts, all he does is lay down now. He stays within a distance of the food and litter box, and if he's outside he can't get back up the hill where our house is because his legs are frail and can barely cry for someone to get him.

How do you guys cope? The thought of him laying on a table and never waking back up makes me cry uncontrollably.
>>
File: 154839206.png (210KB, 575x676px) Image search: [Google]
154839206.png
210KB, 575x676px
>>2434233
This helps me.

He's in pain and you're doing the right thing.
>>
>>2428659
Negrodo
>>
>>2433505
It's really not unlike finding dog breeder. Make sure they do health tests, make sure they are breeding to a standard (does not have to be the CFA standards, just something that shows they are trying to conform to a breed rather than breeding willy nilly), make sure you can see the premises and that all the cats are house cats that stay with the family and not kept outdoors or in a shed all the time. They should also be asking questions about you too. They should be informing you about the breed, like weekly baths and other Sphinx specifics. They should have a health guarantee for a few years; this is less of a reimbursement for you (after all another cat or money can never replace your beloved pet) but a motivator for the breeder to breed healthy animals. If they breed genetic disorders and they keep having to shovel out a few grand or kittens, they will soon not have money to upkeep the hobby. They should microchip, deworm, vaccinate and have an initial vet check for your kitten before you even take it home. Many breeders will have their contact info as the second contact on a microchip, this is just in case you die or something and the animal gets picked up at a shelter, they can pick it up. They may have you sign a contract that you should read over before signing. I think the biggest difference between dog and cat breeders is cats can't really compete in anything besides confirmation, and they can't really have jobs besides therapy animals. Usually a good dog breeder would have their dog in confirmation and some other activity like obedience, agility, etc. So that you can let slide.

You'll need to research the breed a lot just to find out what makes a good breeder. Things like their needs, personality, health problems, etc.
>>
>>2426771
If only...
>>
So I want to adopt a cat but I'll spend at least one weekend a month away from home.
Some people advised me to adopt two cats so I won't have to worry about cats becoming lonely while I'm away but I'm worried.
My family had cats before but I never had an animal that I had to care by myself and my place is not so big, not sure if two cats would fit.
What do you guys think? Any experiences?
>>
>>2435296
One weekend a month is not a big enough deal to worry about a cat being alone. There's no evidence that cats enjoy company of other cats, it's all anecdotal and a case by case basis. Even siblings from the same litter may love each other or hate each other. You'll be fine with an adult cat. I wouldn't leave a kitten alone for a weekend though.
>>
>>2435300
It would be an adult, that I had decided already. Thanks
>>
My cat was lost for five days and came back having lost weight. Now I'm scared that if I let her back outside I won't see her again since I don't know why she didn't want to come back in or wasn't able to come back in before.

The crux of the problem is that she is afraid of the dog that also lives here and the other people that live here. I'm not convinced she feels safe enough here to always come back.
>>
File: 1493954704494.jpg (266KB, 905x881px) Image search: [Google]
1493954704494.jpg
266KB, 905x881px
>putting a leash on a cat like some common dog

Seriously hope you guys don't actually do this
>>
>>2435306
Kick the dog out
>>
File: Simple-Cat-Toy-DIY-600x399.jpg (57KB, 600x399px) Image search: [Google]
Simple-Cat-Toy-DIY-600x399.jpg
57KB, 600x399px
>>2435306
Is there a room you can keep her in that other people and the dog can't get into? With the right set up and attention, you can actually keep cats pretty well entertained in a singe decent sized room. It sounds like she may simply be running away because she doesn't feel safe (of course we will never truly know the reason) so giving her her own space should make her feel more comfortable. The downside is everyone shares the same outside, so there's no way to really make that comfortable for her so long as everyone can access it.

>https://www.animalplanet.com/tv-shows/my-cat-from-hell/videos/how-to-keep-a-cat-happy-in-small-spaces

Look into DIY toys and battery operated toys that can go off when you aren't home. Maybe make a cat balcony so she can enjoy the outdoors without feeling threatened. If she is into toys, you can also look into food puzzles or make your own
>>
File: 1493754577614.jpg (44KB, 385x432px) Image search: [Google]
1493754577614.jpg
44KB, 385x432px
Quick question: How often should i feel my cat? How many hours should pass before i can feed it again?
>>
>>2435903

>feel
*feed
>>
>>2435903
It depends, how old is the cat? How big is it?
>>
>>2435910

The mother i don't know, looks young i guess, the 2 kittens are like 5 or 6 months by now, i don't know if the mother could be pregnant again
>>
>>2435913
Adult cats are the standard AM and PM feedings. Kittens need to eat more often since their metabolism is so much faster, but 5-6 months is old enough that it shouldn't be a problem for them. You could feed them 3x/day if you want to, though.
>>
>>2435913
>i don't know if the mother could be pregnant again
Why haven't you spayed her?
>>
>>2435934
>>2435903

I just leave food out and refill when it looks low (typically once to twice a day) and I only had one cat that got kinda chubby while the other ended up being /fit/

is that bad? Are you just supposed to feed them small portions?
>>
>>2435913
Mom can get pregnant by that time (she can actually get pregnant as eary as 2 days after giving birth), and the kittens are sexually mature now too, they can reach sexual maturity at 4-6 months. So have fun with that, your next batch will be some fucked up kittens. Read the instructions on whatever food you are feeding; they will actually tell you how much to feed for what weight (average weight of a cat is like 7lbs). All your cats can have 2 meals a day, so whatever they recommend in a day, divide it in half for 1 cat for 1 feeding.

pic related, inbred kitten
>>
>>2436019
SMASHED
>>
File: el gato.jpg (2MB, 3325x3368px) Image search: [Google]
el gato.jpg
2MB, 3325x3368px
A Cat.
>>
File: IMG_20141019_135515.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20141019_135515.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>2436177
nice
>>
File: 20170706_133149.jpg (2MB, 4160x2080px) Image search: [Google]
20170706_133149.jpg
2MB, 4160x2080px
For the past few days my cat has been peeing outside the litter box. I really have no idea why. At first I thought it could be from the other cats outside but after cleaning the area and blocking him from it he seems to just pee anywhere.

He still uses the litter box upstairs. I clean it twice a day. He is fixed and has all his shots. Someone said it could be a UTI any help would be great.
>>
>>2436274
how old?
>>
>>2436312
He is about 5 months.
>>
>>2420436
Hey, catfags, this cat showed up outside my apartment a few days ago, maybe half a year old, bony as hell, if I feed it a little bit, will it eventually learn to fend for itself? or should I just go after it with a shovel right away?
Thread posts: 316
Thread images: 90

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.