[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/herp/ - Reptile & Amphibian General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 305
Thread images: 66

Previous >>2347512

/herp/ reptile classifieds for finding breeders of various scaled and sundry creatures

>kingsnake.com
>faunaclassifieds.com
>reptilescanada.com (Canadian breeders)
>Also check to see if there are any annual reptile shows/expos in your area as these are good places to find good animals from good breeders at partial discount

/herp/ officially official all purpose care sheet of wonder and magic

>sand a shit
>use a thermostat
>read all the caresheets
>set up your tank before you get your herp
>regulate temps & humidity levels prior to herp arrival
>do not fuck with (handle) your herp for at least 7 days after bringing it home and ideally wait until herp has eaten at least one meal (for snakes), two meals for lizards, frogs, etc.
>PVC tanks are way better for most applications and worth the extra money
>it is best to avoid chain pet stores when looking to purchase live animals as mass breeder suppliers are not especially careful about health and sound genetics... it often saves you money long term to spend a little extra up front to get a healthy animal

>Jump Start (formerly Hydrofarm) thermostat is a good basic and inexpensive thermostat for regulating ceramic heat emitters and under tank heaters (Amazon sells it)
>if you want something more advanced for temperature control, look at Herpstat products
>>
File: YamataDragon-RP02-EN-R-UE.jpg (92KB, 525x761px) Image search: [Google]
YamataDragon-RP02-EN-R-UE.jpg
92KB, 525x761px
>>2355881
recommend thermostat brands please
>>
>>2355890
if you want a simple on/off one that gets the job done look for Jumpstart
otherwise there's Herpstat, and I believe one other that escapes me right now.
>>
File: hqdefault (1).jpg (26KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault (1).jpg
26KB, 480x360px
Are these pretty easy to keep? I heard theyre simple but id like someone with experience to tell me whats up with them
>>
>>2355981
you'll need a chiller to keep the water cold
they're clumsy and prone to injury so absolutely nothing with points or rough edges
they love bubbles
>>
File: 20170413_133418.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170413_133418.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
Hey /herp/ I just got this little guy last Saturday and he hates the taste of Zoo Meds Reptivite (eating his calcium though, pic related). He's eaten several undusted mealworms since I brought him home but when I offer him dusted ones he ignores them after the initial taste test. I'm looking for suggestions on either a way to get him to eat the vitamin powder I have or if anyone has experienced this maybe an alternative vitamin that doesn't taste/smell as strongly. I honestly can't blame the kid because the stuff is intense, even for my weak ass human nose.
>>
>>2356264
Repashy Calcium Plus.
>>
Is it possible to civilise a bunch of common frogs if I raise them from tadpoles? Can I tame them and keep them as pets in captivity??
>>
>>2355981
Stupid ass looking mf baka
>>
File: bamboo.jpg (75KB, 640x536px) Image search: [Google]
bamboo.jpg
75KB, 640x536px
So I heard bamboo rat sneks, rough greens, northern garters, russian rat sneks etc can thrive in room temps without heating

Also 100 flower/moellendorff's rat snake must be kept below 75F. In a similar vain, mandarin rats, bamboo rats, twin spotted rats, Chinese garters (Elaphe rufodorsata), Leopard rats prefer to be under 25C

Thoughts /an/?
>>
>>2356333
This seems like it might raises a new set of problems depending on where you live

From what I've seen yes they prefer to be in the 70-75 range, but I have no idea what their lower tolerance it. Anything over 80 degrees is detrimental to their health

It also sounds like they can be fairly aggressive snakes
>>
Anyone know hoe good of a feeder baby/juvenile hissing cockroaches are for beardies?
I've got an empty 10 gallon and I'm interested in keeping some hissers but I figure when they start breeding I'll have to cull some
>>
>>2356397
they're pretty docile like most colubrids
>>
>>2356414
well thats good then, it sounds like so long as you pretty much keep your house in the 75ish range all year there wont be any problems
>>
>>2356322
You can keep most frogs successfully in captivity. Tame, no.
>>
>>2356482
Thanks. I took a common frog from the wild before and sat it in an enclosure set up alright and it became stressed so I released it again. I'm guessing if I actually raise them from tadpoles up they will be okay with the environment?
>>
>>2356333

If the individual species temperature requirements are in line with the ambiant temperature of your household, then yes. No heating needed. However, if that requirement includes a basking spot that is above your ambient temperature, you have to provide localized heating for that.

>>2356414

Rat snakes have a reputation for being feisty. They have an attitude. It isn't what I would call aggressive exactly, just very strong feeding response and sometimes a little spazzy.
>>
>>2356485

You would have to indentify the species and then look up environment conditions for their successful care; appropriate temperature, humidity, what they need in terms of water (large filtered area or just a bowl), appropriate feeder insects.
>>
File: sup.png (2MB, 1207x894px) Image search: [Google]
sup.png
2MB, 1207x894px
how's my setup?
>>
>>2356507
tiny
>>
>>2356485
and make sure it is legal to take them from the wild where you live
>>
>>2355890
Herpstat best stat
>>
>>2356507
not long enough for proper gradient
>>
File: cuteducko.png (233KB, 357x384px) Image search: [Google]
cuteducko.png
233KB, 357x384px
to all herp-lovers in the dc/baltimore area:
we are giving away free terrariums on saturday. there are about three dozen of them; all of them must go. my email is [email protected], please contact me before saturday morning to get information
>>
is there a forum like geckoforums and fauna classifieds that isn't all shit talking (faunaclassifieds) or abandoned (geckoforums) where people are talking about leopard geckos regularly?
>>
>>2356637

Not that I know of.
>>
I brought my boa to her first vet appointment the other day and the vet seemed to expect me to know nothing sbout snakes and be a complete piece of shit owner. For example I told him i feed with tongs and he assumed i was lowering live rats into the enclosure with tongs like some psycho and when i told him they are frozen thawed he was relieved. He said i should buy a hide box tols him i have 2 hide boxes and he was fucking blown away
Anybody else had an experience like this
I get that they probabky get a lot of stupid people but it came off really condescending
>>
>>2356704
I've experienced it before. Took one of my yearling jungle carpets in to get some meds for an upper respiratory infection and the dude ended up giving me a care sheet and trying to lecture me. Mind you, the snake only got sick because he suddenly decided to hang out at the bottom of the enclosure in the one spot that was consistently damper and cooler (I was growing some live moss in there to help keep humidity consistent since it's dry as fuck in my house) rather than the many infinitely better perching and resting spots and never bothered to leave that spot to thermoregulate. Dude apparently thought I had my snake living in some swampy cold aquarium until I showed him a picture of the enclosure.
>>
>>2356704
>>2356715
I worked at a petstore for a year
You get jaded when dealing with pet owners because an overwhelmingly amount of them are plum fucking stupid
What can you expect from a shitty retail store though the people in there are the lowest of the low hanging fruit
>>
>>2356264
breed isopods for him, they eat/contain a good amount of calcium
>>
File: Snapchat-1916333417.jpg (590KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-1916333417.jpg
590KB, 1080x1920px
Update on my Ivory ball python i posted about a week ago.

Took his first meal immediately 7 days after i got him, no problems! Took a nice fat snake shit for me a day or so later. Hasn't nipped at me once, only handled him today to clean his tub but he seems a lot less jumpy than the first time! all in all he's doing great, his names Kanji
>>
File: 2017-04-14 11.13.33.jpg (276KB, 1326x824px) Image search: [Google]
2017-04-14 11.13.33.jpg
276KB, 1326x824px
Finally!
He didn't eat since about november, pretty sure it was because of mating season
>>
File: 1442880420172.png (173KB, 429x428px) Image search: [Google]
1442880420172.png
173KB, 429x428px
>>2356816
>flash
>>
>>2356736
I worked at one for nearly five before that vet visit. You think YOU know jaded? You have no idea how deep the rabbit hole goes dude. With that being said though, multiple years of working with animals and pet owners means you pick up pretty quickly on what people are and aren't good pet owners in order to ensure the safety of the animals. The fact that I clearly knew what was wrong, how the situation came about, and what was needed to treat it should have been his first clue that a lecture and care sheet weren't needed.
>>
>>2356816

Good news!
>>
Anyone here going to the Hamburg, PA show on the 22nd?
>>
So I've had my snakes for almost 4 yrs now (corn & milk) and I've been considering getting a RTB recently, but for the first time yesterday my milk decided my fingers smelled good and tried to swallow one. It kind of gave me a reality shock, what would you do if you had a 8-10ft RTB trying to chomp down on your hand? Is it bad news?
>>
>>2357159
a full sized rtb could leave a pretty nasty bite, but thats what hook training, consistent schedules, and proper socialization are for
>>
>>2356818
when specifically is the breeding season? I don't wanna waste thawed rats. Though my ball isn't even a year old yet.
>>
File: phat.jpg (143KB, 1136x852px) Image search: [Google]
phat.jpg
143KB, 1136x852px
how much do baby leachies cost in expos?
>>
>a couple bags of colored Calci-sand in my house
>being used for a craft project totally unrelated to any pet

I'm still Mctriggered though. I dare not read the bag.
>>
>>2357174

Usually $300+. Leachies are very slow breeders and do not produce many offspring per clutch, they have to be at least three years old before they can safely breed, and breeding pairs can be inconsistent in that they will get along fine for a while then suddenly stop breeding and maybe start fighting. That's why so expensive. They are one of the most annoying species of gecko to breed on any kind of reliable timeframe.
>>
>>2357171
It all depends on when you cool him down. You can control when breeding season is. Most people just follow the seasons they live at though
>>
File: hyla-cinerea.jpg (69KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
hyla-cinerea.jpg
69KB, 600x600px
I bought 2 tree frogs (Hyla cinerea) on monday and I need some advice from people who have kept tree frogs.

My terrarium is 40x35x60(cm), has plenty of fake plants, places to hide and climb. The bottom of the tank has 2cm of water to ensure constant high humidity (I spray it every morning and evening as well) and it also has enough places to climb onto when in the water. I also have a bowl with small crickets and clean it when needed.

So this is the deal, one of the frogs seems to be doing fine, exploring the tank ans during the day sleeps on a leaf from one of the plants. At night he's active and I've seen jump around, eat crickets and yesterday started croaking, which I'll take as he's settling in just fine.

The other one however is way more lethargic, and even spends the day hours in the open without looking for cover. Today in the early morning I was startled by a splashing sound, I took my flashlight and looked around and this frog was, or at least seemed to have drowned in 2cm of water. It had stiff legs and honestly I thought he was a goner. I grabbed and he started moving and getting back to its "normal" self and breathing. I took a small container I have, set it up with paper towel and a fake plant and for now I have him in there.

I'm really confused to why it is behaving like this. I have the feel that this one is way less energetic than the other one, as I've never seen it jump, and when I handle him (only because it has been necessary to do so, otherwise I wouldn't handle it as much) he seems really weak. Although I've seen it in the cricket bowl.

Any ideas? The store i bought them from supposedly only buys animals from breeders, and the frogs don't seem to be adults just yet, but maybe it could have something to do with the way they were kept in there?

Any help appreciated.
>>
>>2357699
Not sure but i would quarantine the weaker frog in a separate enclosure for a while, like a month, to monitor the situation. Use a sterilite tub with paper towel substrate for this.
>>
>>2357782
yeh it's where it is on right now. Not a big enclosure, is quite small actually. I'll probably try to get something bigger in the meanwhile and more furniture as well.

I forgot to mention that I've seen its feces as well and they seemed normal as well.
>>
File: IMG_2509.jpg (65KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2509.jpg
65KB, 600x600px
What kind of snake is this?
>>
>>2357876
colombian rainbow boa I'd guess
>>
>>2357876
White lipped python.
>>
>>2357878
bad guess
>>2357887
this anon is right
>>
>>2357895
unnecessary post
>>
>>2357699
I just checked on her again, she was on her back and looks like a balloon. Abdomen very transparent and as if it was filled with fluid. Very weird.
>>
I need help!

I moved out 2 weeks ag, and my snake (texas rat) has not come out of his hide once since then (except to eat (with some encouragement)). He usually is pretty active and is not jumpy/stressed or shy.
He also rarely visits his hot hide anymore.

He was close to a window in our previous flat and is now in a study with not much natural lighting. I wouldn't think this would be the problem since he's also got UVB lighting.
Another possibility would be that I switched his cold/hot spots, but snakes don't have their own burrow if I'm not mistaking so it shouldn't be it.

When I take him out he doesn't appear particularly stressed out either.

I could be that moving stressed him out, but it's not the first time I move him around: he got babysitted by my parents, he went to an elementary school etc.

Any ideas?
>>
>>2357927
Does the shop you purchased frog from have any kind of health guarantee? I would inquire about that. Frog definitely sounds unwell.
>>
>>2358027
No idea, but I'll try to ask him. I've tried to make some "holes" in her fluid swollen abdomen with a needle... I mean, better to try anything than let her die without trying something. She looks way more normal now and lost a lot of fluid, it actually dripped from my hands and then jumped away.

I'll also try to get calcium glucanate, and use it on her. I've tried to look on the literature and some of the symptoms fit with calcium deficiency. Probably will use a UVB on her as well for good measure.
>>
File: IMG_20170407_151710486.jpg (4MB, 2340x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170407_151710486.jpg
4MB, 2340x4160px
What kind of corn snake is this?
>>
>>2358181
Almost sure it's just an albino
>>
File: giant-day-gecko6.jpg (53KB, 600x515px) Image search: [Google]
giant-day-gecko6.jpg
53KB, 600x515px
hi
>>
File: 20170416_202751.jpg (4MB, 2456x2694px) Image search: [Google]
20170416_202751.jpg
4MB, 2456x2694px
Sup
>>
>>2358899
Hi
>>
File: Snapchat-1961063378.jpg (319KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-1961063378.jpg
319KB, 1080x1920px
Post your good noodles.
>>
File: DSC_0373rs.jpg (547KB, 1440x960px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0373rs.jpg
547KB, 1440x960px
>>2359203
>>
File: photo_2017-04-15_11-35-42.jpg (102KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
photo_2017-04-15_11-35-42.jpg
102KB, 960x1280px
My frog Reginald is dumber than a sack of bricks, but he's the cutest brick of all.
>>
>>2359311
>Reginald

My cousin's Emerald Swift is Lord Reginald, good choice in naming your brick, sir.
>>
>>2357927
>>2358079
pics? Honestly google that shit hard I'm sure someone somewhere on some forum must have had the same issues.

I require mor pics of these >>2358899 >>2359311 b/c u both got dubs (and I like those two species a lot)
>>
File: kekkels1.jpg (110KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
kekkels1.jpg
110KB, 960x960px
>got a southern toad I named Kekkels a couple of months ago
>she was 1 years old and was only fed 4 fucking crickets every 2 weeks because LOLSHEDOESNT EAT THEM ALL RIGHT AWAY
>her """""terrarium""""" had an awful wood shavings type ground and had one of those bowls of water you find on every store terrarium ever
>no hiding spots
>ground 100% useless couldnt be moist much at all or be dug into
>enclosure was tiny

topwew you'd think a pet store that keeps a fucking toad would sometime look up a fucking caresheet or something,especially during the whole fucking year it took for someone to show up and take her home, right??? 4 crickets every 2 fakken weeks? FOR A YEAR?
>with like 1 cricket out of 4 drowning on the bowl anyways

How Kekkels didn't RIP at the store after so long is beyond me. She now has a comfy ass semi-transparent crate, with a nice little pond I buried into the coconut turf/fiber substrate, and has a little fiber covered plastic cave at the corner for whenever she doesn't wanna dig her butt into fresh soft soil.

She eats like 2 zophobas (superworms) a day and maybe a couple of mealworms if she feels like it, it took several weeks to get off that auschwitz-mode diet, but she's pretty active and happy now.

Planning on getting her a husbando sometime and moving them to a much larger tank.

>pic related kekkels day 1
>>
File: kekkels2.jpg (73KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
kekkels2.jpg
73KB, 540x960px
>>2359361
>still day 1
I'll probably post recent ones soon, but first I need to share with you guys how obese the midwife toads are getting. Do frogs die of too much food like fish or what? 5 of my midwife toads are really fucking fat, like, getting round and shit...
>>
Im between a western hognose, a kenyan sand boa, and a milk snake right now.

Long time pet owner, including lsrge aquariums, first time snake owner

From what ive researched milks are the easiest but im interested in the personalities of these snakes

Which would be the most fun
>>
>>2359470
Sand boas are shy and spend the majority of the time burrowed below the substrate. They can be boring for this reason, depending on what your interest in the species is.

Both hoggies and milk snakes are more active. I would lean to either of those. During taming period you can expect to get musked by a milk snake a few times but they do chill out considerably after a while.
>>
/herp/, I come from /tg/ seeking your help. For several reasons the ownership of a Bearded Dragon may become a thing on our RPG campaign, so i need to know everything about them. More specificaly, Their lifespans: how long do eggs take to hatch? How fast do tehy grow? What do they eat in teh wild vs captivity? Where are they naturally occurring? I suppose those and many other questions would be answered by good caresheets and stuff, So I would appreciate some recommendations.

Rest assured no actual beardies will be involved in any way. I just want the best resoures to make them believable in-game. Thanks in advance!
>>
Redpill me on monitor lizards.

Are they hard to keep?
>>
>>2359615
yes they are hard to keep. if you have to even ask, don't get one
>>
File: 1469646134203.jpg (66KB, 720x706px) Image search: [Google]
1469646134203.jpg
66KB, 720x706px
>>2356507
Fuck you

Its WAY to small in there
>>
File: 1413074008667.jpg (6KB, 240x200px) Image search: [Google]
1413074008667.jpg
6KB, 240x200px
>>2359615
Your a complete asshat if you even need to ask that.
>>
File: 1343411446147.jpg (13KB, 224x216px) Image search: [Google]
1343411446147.jpg
13KB, 224x216px
>>2359637
>>2359737
>Don't explain why

ok.
>>
>>2357899
t. butthurt bad guesser
someone had to say you were wrong or the asker might have believed you
>>
>>2359748
>highly intelligent
>big apex predators
>ectothermic
>specific diets
>long living
>expensive
>not domesticated
what can you not understand?
>hey guys is a tiger a good pet I mean cats are easy right
>>
>>2359510
They grow pretty fast, fully grown within two years i'd say
In the wild they basically eat anything they can catch protein wise. In captivity its crickets/superworms/cockroaches and fresh veggies
The inland bearded dragon (Pogona vitticeps) is native to Australia

Go check out beardeddragon.org iirc
>>
File: snack.jpg (26KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
snack.jpg
26KB, 500x375px
Going to be getting a corn snake in a few days, after the first week I plan on taming her so she can be friend. Did anyone else here tame their snek, gimme tips.
>>
>>2359851
Thanks anon, both for the info and the link. Will check it out and maybe come back with more questions, or to thank you further.

I will also be totally using bearded dragon pics from these threads as reference.
>>
>>2359863
Wow ok. You are so absolutely NOT ready for a snake. Fuck off idiot.
>>
>>2359863
well for one your snake isn't ever going to be your friend. sorry.
Keep handling session short and far between at first, then slowly increase it
thats about all you can do. Snakes are more simple than most other vertebrates and due to the way they eat, you can't really win their trust with copious treats or training.
>>
>>2359877
Harsh, jesus. He just wants a snake. If he's doing something wrong, explain it. Don't just call him an idiot, he's just gonna ignore you and do the thing wrong anyways. You'ren to helping anyone.
>>
>>2359882
not*
>>
What's up with keepers that keep snakes in tubs? It seems like an economical way to do things but is it fine for the snake? I have never owned a snake but I thought they needed large heated cages and shit.
>>
>>2359891
The only people that put snakes in tubs without a humidifier, heater, or bedding are either retards or putting them in there for a few minutes while they change the bedding of their habitat.
>>
>>2359891
It's "fine" as in "keeps the animals alive so you can brag about your big collection of snakes to hide the fact that you're a miserable pile of shit".

But of course Americans will always immediately rush to defend their awful husbandry standards.
>>
>>2359891
the tubs are heated
the glass a decorations are really for the owner, herps dont care how pretty their enclosure is
>>
>>2359891
Tubs are heated. Assuming you're giving it proper dimensions, a tub is no different from a tank or a viv as far as enclosing a snake goes. The only downfall really is it opens from the top, which means whenever you open it most/all of the humidity will escape and it can be stressful for nervous snakes coming at them from above.

Because of size restrictions with tubs, I don't keep snakes above 4'-5' in them, though.
>>
>>2359901
>>2359895
>>2359894
>>2359893

Idk. I stumbled upon YT videos by Snakebytes and viperkeeper. Snakebytes has a massive tub system and viperkeeper seems to have half and half.
>>
>>2359903
Those guys are breeders
the rooms those racks of tubs are in are all conditioned to the requirements of the animals they're breeding
its really the most cost effective way to keep that many herps
if they arent in racks I imagine its because they have lighting requirements
>>
>>2359863

You can't train a snake. The best you can do is condition them to tolerate handling or particular feeding regimes.

Corn snakes aren't really good for just hanging out with because they're pretty squirmy. Ball Pythons are a better choice if you want an entry-sized snake with a good temperament for sitting in your arms or on your shoulder.
>>
>TFW local petco was having a sale on misc glass tanks today.
>$1 per gallon if you sign up for their little rewards program
>walked out with a new 30 gallon long tank for my ball python for when he becomes a fatboy

I dont usually shop around at petco aside from picking up mice since i usually just get shit on amazon, but their reptile shit prices seemed alright
>>
>>2360008
>30gallon long
thats a tank size?
you should have picked up a 40 breeder
>>
>>2360010
they didn't have any 40s, would have got one if they did. It's a 30 long though, so its a lot more surface area than a normal 30, just shorter. He's a male so he should be fine in it as far as size goes.
>>
>>2359894
>projecting this hard
If the owner has multiple snakes/breeds and is actively ensuring their needs are met then there's absolutely nothing wrong with rack systems.
>>
>>2359894
Oh no! My snakes daddy was a fuck slave. Breeders need to pay restitution to us because of poorb standards the snakes were kept in.

Because, you know, snakes care about that shit.
>>
>>2359877
Mean!
>>2359882
Thanks Anon, I know I can't tame snakes, it was late and I couldn't string my words together correctly
>>2359938
Illegal in Nyc
>>
>>2359903
>>2359909
Adding to this, Snakebytes (Brian Barczyk) is a very bad example of good tub keeping. Many of his tubs are too small for the animals, have the minimum amount of things needed (water bowl, newspaper as substrate, and maybe some have hides; no furniture whatsoever for them to climb and exercise), almost never cleans them (which can be seen on one of his leopard gecko video, their rack is full of faeces), and cohabits way too many herps together (again, leopard gecko video)
As >>2359909 said, it's basically the best way of making breeding reptiles profitable, but the animals get the shorter end of the stick
>>
>>2360008
petco aquatics specialist here, the rewards program is actually full of savings and does nothing but benefit you. just wondering why you would talk shit about getting an aqueon tank for 1$ a gallon. not to mention if you waited until today to buy it you could get an additional 10$ off with our april 18th coupon we have out. oh and the online 15% coupon given to PALS reward members. but hey go pay a fuckton elsewhere buddy.
>>
>>2360111
I already breed a lot of tropical fish. I have a warm and humid fishroom and I was kind of interested in breeding snakes because I like them and I enjoy breeding non-mammals. Would a small rack system in my fishroom work well or do I really need a properly conditioned room just for the snakes?
>>
>>2360217
>shilling and admitting you're shilling

enjoy getting v&
>>
>>2360217
There are coupons that stack with the $1 per gallon sales?
>>
Join new discord
https://discord.gg/6BHAxDW
>>
>>2360221
1$ a gallon is an initial pals discount, added in before total. at total you can use the april 18th coupon, and apply the online 15% discount.
>>
>>2360218
Do you already own the snakes you want to breed? Why do you want to breed them?
>>
>>2360224
>trying to kill the thread
End your life
>>
>>2360317
I don't have any snakes right now.

I want to breed them because I like experimenting with traits and selling the animals I produce. I find it rewarding.

Do you have any recommendations?
>>
>>2360217
I worked at petsmart and talk shit about both stores because they are both fucking terrible
all the store brand tanks are cheap and are only worth it to buy during the $1/gall sale because they are grossly overpriced all other times
Not to mention that gross shilling your doing
>>
>>2360351
I take pride in my fish and my animals, I put a lot of hard work in to really make it not another petstore. always take the time to educate the dumbass amateur aquarists that come in, so I guess you could call the passion in my work shilling. also of course the tanks are overpriced compared to what the store pays, it's called markup. so I don't really see what the problem is there, if anything I figured people would argue over the price of fish. a petstore is what you make it, and I try to make it a pet home instead of just a business.
>>
File: Jungle_Vine_Set-v1.jpg (340KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
Jungle_Vine_Set-v1.jpg
340KB, 2000x2000px
DIY idea!

So i just came from pet store having paid $10 for one of those bendy vine dealios and on the way home I had a thought on how to make these for cheap.

>thick gauge galvanize steel wire or old metal coat hangers or something bendy
>clear vinyl tubing
>insert wire in to tubing
>seal ends by melting or with hot glue

done. If you want the nice texture you could cover the whole thing in silicone and then stick sand or dried moss or whatever to it.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjHDHy3-wkY
>>
File: 000NightBrowsing.jpg (118KB, 406x364px) Image search: [Google]
000NightBrowsing.jpg
118KB, 406x364px
>>2360450

cease and desist youtube spammery pls
>>
>>2360082
Ball pythons are illegal in NYC?
>>
>>2360217
are you that brainwashed by the company dude? He didnt even talk shit about the sale
Good God I need to get out of this company
>>
>>2360465
Everything is illegal in NYC.
>>
>>2360397
Yea thats nice and all I guess petco gives you a bit more free reign
Everything had to be by the books and my store manager would literally rather me throw a sick fish into the garbage then put it in a treatment tank(managers had to approve all animals into the "hospital room" which was just a shitty utility closet with some racks and tanks to quarantine)
We werent allowed to refuse a sale unless they blatantly told us they were going to abuse it and would regularly send off animals I busted my ass cleaning feeding and tweaking the enclosures as much as I could to help them to their deaths
I dont see how you arent in your first week or on the marketing team because retail petstores kill your soul especially trying to play off the price hike on aquariums to be far more than they should be
Your post comes off like one of the pamphlets corporate pushed out that were total fucking lies that I ate up when I was new but slowly came to the realization that regardless of how much I cared for these animals my incompetent coworkers and the brain dead fucks walking into the store will ruin it all
>>
Is undergroundreptiles a good store to order from? I seem to be getting mixed reviews.
>>
>>2360510

NO
>>
>>2360512
Why?
>>
>>2360514
Poor in store husbandry. Bad customer service. Dubious sourcing for live animals.
>>
>>2360515
Thanks
>>
>walk into local reptile store to grab some shit for my ball python
>take a look in their reptile room
>Juvenile ball python
>15 gallon tank
>singular half log style hide
>tiny water dish w/ substrate in it
>bright ass dome light in the middle of the day
>cage is wide open aside from that
>poor buddy has stuckshed on his head and face

I thought i'd give a local place a shot but jesus Christ ive seen better ball setups in a fucking petco
>>
File: cute-snakes-wearing-hats-3.jpg (43KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
cute-snakes-wearing-hats-3.jpg
43KB, 800x450px
>>2360465
>>2360474
>One of the best beginner snakes is banned in nyc
>Illegal aliens are allowed to roam free in same state

'Murica
>>
I am really looking to purchase a corn snake but I'm afraid it might be too cold in my room for it. Ive kept a crested gecko in this room and he did fine, but the problem is that in the summer the room gets as high as 68F, but in the winter it gets as low as 58F. I'm just afraid i wont be able to bring the temp of the tank up enough for the snake to be healthy in the winter. does anyone know if i can bring the temp of the tank up about 18 degrees with a heating pad and a lamp for the warm side? any help would be much appreciated.
>>
>>2360580
will using a glass cover help retain heat and humidity?
>>
>>2360347
Yeah, some.
First, regarding the animals' room in your original post. Unless it's a particularly cold area, you're ok with room temperature.
Second, the animals need actual setups separated from oneanother. Depending on the species you decide to breed, you may need: a ceramic heat emitter; an undertank heater; two or more hides; other furniture (branches, cork bark, rocks) for exercise; a water bowl; appropiate substrate. Remember to get good substrate too. To breed them, you'll have to temporarily put them in a separate enclosure (just an empty big rack with proper ventilation is ok) and monitor them so they don't get aggressive with eachother. Have the resources for the babies' enclosures too once they're born
Third: it's not a good idea to breed ball pythons or corn snakes. They're very very common in the hobby, not to mention the most normal morphs. If you're going to breed these make sure they're breeder quality and that they're at least a less common morph.
Other than that, just research whatever species you think is nice, read a lot about them and their care, and you'll be fine. Good luck anon
>>
>>2360580

Best bet would be to build a wood tank or buy a PVC one. Those are much better insulated and will maintain your higher temperatures much better. Probably you would need both a ceramic heat emitter and an under tank heater in this situation. Or go full fancy and get a radiant heat panel.

You can also try to insulate the walls of a glass tank with foam. Looks kinda shitty but it works.
>>
>>2360626
Also, boa imperators are somewhat common but still gorgeous snakes. If you were to breed snakes I'd say you look into them. Also kenyan sand boas
>>
File: bull snake.jpg (222KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
bull snake.jpg
222KB, 600x400px
>>2360626

So you're saying no to breeder racks?

I actually find these guys to be pretty interesting. I've called around my local stores and they can't even import them for me. I live in Canada.

So I'm going to have to order from the US and drive over. They seem to have a bad temper, though. Is it going to kick my ass?
>>
>>2360634
Breeder racks don't mean inmediatly bad, but do your research on how to provide the best for your animal. Remember I'm just an anon on a chinese cartoon board and I'm biased.
Also,
>bull snakes
Interesting option, anon, very nice. Nah, it's not gonna kick your ass, just make sure nothing happens to them during the trip, which it most likely won't. They'll be pissy for a while after you get them anyway. Also, bulls can be a bit iffy when they're young, so don't get scared or anything.
>>
>>2360640
http://www.bigappleherp.com/Bull-Snakes-Captive-Bred-Babies

Is this a fair price?
>>
>>2360580
i live in cali and my room drops to almost 40 in the winter. I have a heat pad and a ceramic heat bulb for my ball python both on separate thermostats, whole setup cost me little over 100$ but it keeps him where he needs to be
>>
>>2360678
do you keep tht on one side of the tank? or both on separate?
>>
File: 1469469248863.gif (802KB, 264x264px) Image search: [Google]
1469469248863.gif
802KB, 264x264px
>my face as I come home to discover that my bearded dragon has ran through his poop before I got home and I have to bathe him for the third time this week

Genetically engineered house-trainable reptiles that clean themselves when?
>>
>>2360650

Yeah that's fine. They aren't that commonly kept as pets so anything under a $100 is reasonable (for captive bred).
>>
>>2360710
the UTH is on the right side, which is his hot side. The ceramic bulb is right in the middle with the thermostat probe off to the left more. Ive found it to be the best setup for keeping the ambient temps in the whole tank good. I have him in a 30 gallon long tank that i've DIY insulated, actually keeps the heat and humidity in quite well. Temps might be a little difficult, but it rarely ever drops below 50% humidity out here, sometimes even gets to 90 or 100 at night
>>
>>2360718
what did u insulate with and how?
>>
Just put a height extension I made on top of my male crestie's tank. I ran in to an unanticipated issue with the existing exo terra tank. The extension I made is designed to sit directly on the top lip of that tank, only the screen retention clips protrude above that lip so my extension rested on those and left a gap. Snapped those clips off and problem solved.

The extension is about 7 inches tall, which makes the existing 18x18x18 in to an 18x18x25. I'll post a pic of it tomorrow.

Dr. Jacobson, the resident crested gecko, was very displeased about the noise made while i removed the old screen top and put on the extension. After about an hour of hiding he came out and realized that his ceiling had elevated. He's thrilled. I keep hearing rustlings from his tank as he noses around the new digs.
>>
File: unnamed (1).png (379KB, 569x1012px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed (1).png
379KB, 569x1012px
>>2360723
>went to walmart and got about 2 1/2 yards of this thermal fabric stuff they use to insulate pillows was about 9$ total.
>cut to size for 3 sides and the top, 4 sheets thick
>cleaned and disinfected the outside glass
>used a liberal amount of elmers adhesive spray to bind the sheets together and then the sheets to the glass, 2 cans about 6$
>cut a square of tin foil to put over the top of the grate lid under the, last sheet of insulation on the top which isnt glued.
>cut holes in the tin foil and top piece of fabric about a half inch wider than the lamp so it can sit on the grate and not touch anything
>trimmed up excess fabric and secured the loose corners with electrical tape

cheap and easy for the most part
>>
>>2360735
pic was about half way through when i had just secured the insulation with the adhesive, would post finished pic but its dark as shit in here
>>
>>2359903
Breeders use rack systems with only expense in mind, not necessarily the welfare of their animals. Most keepers/breeders assume that racks are a one size fits all sort of deal, not caring that their species may be arboreal/semi-arboreal or too large to fit in the tubs (having sufficient height is just as important as floor space for many species and ~6" just doesn't cut it).

Imo racks are best suited for only a small handful of species into adulthood (and no I do not believe ball pythons to be one of those species), most should be graduated into full-sized enclosures once large enough. Overfeeding and lack of exercise choices kills many of our captive reptiles, so stuffing snakes into little boxes with the excuse that "they function like a big hide" is rather inhumane.
>>
So what ARE good (glass) tank brands?
>>
>>2360780
Exo terras are good. Fairly durable latches and fittings. The new national geographic ones look nice; pretty heavy though as they are metal frame.
>>
>>2360742

I generally agree. The only species I'd be remotely comfortable keep in a rack system are burrowing ones like sand boas.

With that said, if breeding isn't economical to the point where animals can be sold wholesale, then you risk pet retailers selling wild caught to satisfy demand. IMO it's marginally o-k for an animal to be kept in a rack so long as that it's only a temporary arrangement until they're sold to someone that will provide more ethical housing, and only if the alternative is wholesale-grade animals being ones otherwise taken from the wild and putting further pressure on environments that are probably already facing tons of issues like deforestation, invasive species etc.

That's idealistic since I'm sure many petstore-sold reptiles don't last more than a couple months, but still. Ethically I don't think racks for breeding is a simple issue.
>>
>>2359361
I feel like it's an issue with all pet stores aside from specialty reptile or aquarium shops (i.e. everything that doesn't do cats and dogs). I think the main reason is the way they hire. They tend to only hire people who have worked at places like Target or kmart (walmart for americans?) rather than people who actually care about animals. Kind of like ebgames (gamestop for americans) but the difference is that games don't suffer from a lack of understanding, whereas live fucking animals do.

Show us photos of your new enclosure for her when you get it.
>>
>>2360715
Bioactive your tank nig
>>
>>2359615
haha, that's a hilariously deceptive picture
Monitors are not meant to be tamed. A healthy monitor is a mean one
I dont care about some fucking dumb ass nu-males and stupid sluts say about how their monitor loves them. A tame monitor is a depressed submitted shell of it's true nature. Don't expect a fucking dog lizard. I've been told this by top experts.
Argentina tegus can be naturally easy going though. Still don't don't treat it like a dog. It's still not meant to be tamed
>>
>>2361058
Monitors are easily stressed, and a ''tame'' one doesn't act the way they are supposed to. Teach them that you aren't a threat, but this is not a lizard you are supposed to play with or hold.
I've seen tame Bosc monitors at a reptile show before with supposed experts, and they are lethargic and not psychologically healthy.
This is the final red pill on monitor lizards.
>>
>>2359615
I want to break your jaw for naming the picture that you low t cuck
>>
File: Iku7N8.jpg (648KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
Iku7N8.jpg
648KB, 1536x2048px
>>2359733
What can I put inside my tank to make it larger?
>>
>>2361058
>>2361062
>hurr durr I don't know what domestic breeding is
>>
>>2361080
>that cute little white turd on the glass
my fucking sides, is that yours? if so I love your pet dude
You wanna increase surface area, it's fine if the tank is small for now, don't stress about it, work on looking to buy or build a larger one at a price you can afford.

Increase his surface area by putting stuff he can climb and use as cover and such. Like, is there a weird optical illusion going on in your setup picture or something? it looks like the ground ends way sooner than everything else and the stuff behind it is a reflection but obviously not because the horizontal log on the right is reaching into the back and beyond the sand line at the middle... wtf

Get him more horizontal shit, like a layered mario level lol that would increase surface area obviously, Im not sure those lizards are into climbing around I never owned one.
>>
File: IMG_20170404_121608862.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170404_121608862.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
>>2360725
height extension complete.
>>
>>2361121
Here it is on top of the 18" exo terra. Mid day so gecko is sleeping inside his pvc tube on the left. I need to reorganize some of the decor to be better distributed around the new interior dimensions. Interestingly, gecko has difficulty sticking his toes to the clear acrylic panel on the front (sticks to regular glass no problem).
>>
File: tankextension.jpg (180KB, 504x896px) Image search: [Google]
tankextension.jpg
180KB, 504x896px
>>2361125
resized the image
>>
>>2361100
>implying it won't take a thousand years of selective breeding if not more to make monitor lizards tame

They make babies too slowly anon, they're not foxes or wolves where you can snap your fingers and in thirty years woops new breed.
>>
>>2361100
Fucking, retard I should skin you alive. You can't domesticate lizards
Goddamn you are a fucking retard
Obviously never been on a good monitor forum either
>>
>>2361148
>my circlejerk forum buttbuddies agree u can't selectively breed lizards

Why don't you go back to them, then? Nobody's stopping you. Shoo.
>>
>>2361140
That's cool. I need to snag myself some cresties but I have no car which makes it really fucking hard to pick up some herps from stores or people selling them
>>
>>2361149
>he thinks selective breeding = domestication
What a fucking cuck
I've talked to some of the top keepers in the world. And I've personally observed healthy monitor behaviour. I've worked with monitors at several volunteer jobs, and as a paid assistant, and at pet stores before.
I've also kept several monitors. Got my first nile when I was 11.
I know what a healthy monitor behaves likes. When I was younger I used to handle my juvie nile monitor, treat it like a ''pet''. It became much more happy after I started leaving it alone. I had it for 9 years.
I had to give my collection of large reptiles to a close friend at some point
>>
>>2361160
I trained my blackthroat monitor to calculate derivatives and integrals. He also takes his coffee with two cream and two sugar.

Fite me.
>>
>>2361160
>blah blah muh anecdote

Domestication is selective breeding given sufficient generations. You're just pedantic and easily triggered as typical dealing a keeper with his head up his ass.
>>
>>2361160
I agree that handling monitors needs to absolutely be kept to a minimum and they shouldn't be treated like a lap dog but they will usually calm down naturally when they trust the owner as the feeder
Still don't submit these animals, let them remain wild at heart as nature intended
>>
>>2361172

I agree with this. I only interact with my herps to the point that they are comfortable with me messing around in their tanks doing maintenance and cleaning, changing water and food etc. The idea of holding them just for fun doesn't appeal to me. I don't find it fun and the herps obviously only tolerate it at best. They're more interesting to me when they retain a lot of their wild behaviours.
>>
>>2361167
Haha, this guy doesn't know anything about reptiles.
>>2361058
I don't know what you mean by ''mean'' but I've heard they will generally allow the owner to handle them a little bit after they come to trust you naturally. But yeah, I think I agree with you. They shouldn't be tamed, treated like dogs, or even like bearded dragons, which are much less easily stressed and effected by handling
>>
>>2361180
>replies with an insult

haha, this guy doesn't know anything about reptiles or biology but is pretending to on 4chan le epic bait brah, 10/10 xD
>>
>>2361179
I think some reptiles like ball pythons really don't seem to care as long one doesn't handle them too much and over do it.
I think some reptiles also like to come out of their cage. Boas and ball pythons seem to ''ask'' to come out, even if their cage is very large and seem to enjoy exploring. I don't think they like to be handled though, at best they tolerate it.
>>
>>2361182
Look up reptiles and domestication. ANY expert opinion is that it's utterly impossible or at BEST highly doubtful.
Also, dogs are just codependent permeant mental-wolf-pups . It's not exactly a noble goal to want to do this to lizards. In fact it's pretty messed up
Also the word domestication implies that reptiles and humans can bond, which is stupid
>>
>>2361190
At the most people could bred only the tamest of their monitor lizards if they own a large amount of a species of monitor. And over time the species from that blood line will be more likely to be more and more calm.
But no one is going to do that, and waste money by not breeding all of their monitors, weather it happens to have a nicer personality or not
Because breeders don't have time to play with their lizards and they probably understand that they shouldn't for better breeding results
>>
>>2361200
Some people claim this is how ball pythons and bearded dragons were ''semi-domesticated'', but I don't buy it, it's just that these species tend to be calm naturally when they grow up in a captive environment.
No breeders were waisting their stock by ''not breeding the mean ones'' ,that would be retarded.

Plus even wild bearded dragons and ball python easily calm down in captivity
>>
>>2361204
And I know how large scale breeders think because I'm working to become one. I'm making sure that everyone of my stock breeds, I want to have multiple blood lines, as many as possible.
>>
I'd like to keep monitors, but I live up north and feel that my space is better spent on larger enclosures for smaller lizards than one that only meets the minimum space recommended for a larger reptile.
>>
>>2359352
I googled and tried to look for answers but she died the die after I posted. Fortunately the other one is doing very well, croaking loudly and eating very well. Couldn't be happier with this one.
>>
File: 39352.jpg (156KB, 800x361px) Image search: [Google]
39352.jpg
156KB, 800x361px
>>2361207
Well, monitors are super interesting because of their activity and intelligence. How much space do you have available? Ackies are among the smaller monitors(still need considerably big tanks though).
>>
File: IMG_3298.jpg (980KB, 2453x2628px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3298.jpg
980KB, 2453x2628px
Anyone know what type of tortoise this baby is?
>>
File: 1491722352598.gif (405KB, 359x371px) Image search: [Google]
1491722352598.gif
405KB, 359x371px
Have any of you ever had to deal with living with family or whatever that obviously gave no fucks about the health of your pet or learning about how to care for them? Some people just perceive the lives of pets as very cheap and expendable and give no fucks, I don't understand people like this.

I remember having to beg my mom to be able to buy essential necessities for my bearded dragon when I was a kid in fifth-grade. I'm 22 now and I have the very same beardie around, but if I wasn't a god-tier begger as a kid he would have had a very poor life and died quickly.
>>
>>2361435

yeah. I've actually lost two dogs this way. My methhead parents refused to keep the dogs on a leash or in the yard. ;_; I was so glad to get out of that house.
>>
>>2361238
Anyone? I live in Alabama if it helps
>>
>>2361238
if you found it outside you should put it back
>>
>>2361435
Similar situation but with a red eared slider. Got it in middle school and was kept in a small plastic "Betta tank" I started to google that shit of how to take care of it and basically had to continually ask and pester my folks for things. Hell, it took months to get a filter (a shitty submersible one), a year or so to get a cheap basking dock, shitty heater, and a lamp, another couple months to upgrade to a tank that it still was too small for (it moved to an old 10g we had for a fish that died at the time, and then to a 36g where it stayed for years when the turtle was already like 5" long) and even longer for an actual canister filter.
Basically, everything was considered too expensive and unnecessary but boy did I try my damnest to push for it, having to settle for very cheap shit.

Thank god was the little turtle hardy as fuck, as it basically took until getting a job after college to save up and splurge all hell via craigslist and various DIY projects for everything. She's still with me now and at home in a 90g. (I know it's still considered a bit small for a female but it's still spacious enough for her as is and will suffice until I can move elsewhere to accommodate a bigger tank)
>>
ok so im having some difficulties. I've tried flukers zoo med and zilla and had separate problems with all of them from temp fluctuations to bad bulbs to shitty bulb life. what are your guys' favorite brands for your bulbs and why?
>>
>>2361200
New England Reptile Distributors on youtube have a technique to tame a wide range of baby monitors. There's definitely a difference between generation 1 wilds and newer generation of snakes too. Although most of the taming is basically exposure therapy. Some species of monitors also varies on their aggressiveness. Captive bred water and Savannah monitors for example are way more docile than Niles and Argus.
>>
>>2361204
>Plus even wild bearded dragons and ball python easily calm down in captivity
Depends on species and animal. Wild caught monitors are way more flighty and defensive than captive bred even when kept at the same time period.
>>
>>2361471
For heat lamps you can use ordinary incandescents from hardware store. They may or may not last longer but they will be significantly cheaper.

For UVB the best is the full size tubes (not the compact spiral things). Those have to be replaced every six months regardless as they lose their uv output.
>>
>>2361503
cheers
>>
>>2361435
>had turtles when I was a kid
>got tank from cousin who killed his fish(60 gallon)
>caught my own turtles since every canal in louisiana has them
>know they need heat and sunlight have heater from cousin that was able to keep it in high 60's low 70's in winter
>take them outside to bask in wading pool 4 times a week after school for a few hours
>catch variety of food in woods and canals for them and feed them crawfish and shrimp my mom would buy
>get around 16 have had turtles for almost 7 years now
>cut grass to get a laptop and leech off neighbors unprotected wifi
>my older brother comes over on a holiday and needs to download some document to send to a work friend or some shit
>it downloads to porn folder because thats last place I downloaded to
>he rats me out and I have to go live with him for 3 months as an indentured servant for him and his fat cripple wife
>mom let my box turtle die that was in separate tank by turning off heat lamp and never turning it back on
>unplugged water filter and heater on aquatic turtle tank to save money
>never fed them
>water started smelling like sewage so she drained the water let my turtles go and sold all my equipment for drug money
>come back to dead box turtle rotting in tank and bigger tank missing
>take cheap ass pawnshop sword and fucking butcher all her antiques and furniture
>get kicked out
>never talk to most of family again
blood relation means fucking nothing
/end blog
>>
File: IMG_20170420_013008.jpg (162KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170420_013008.jpg
162KB, 960x540px
>>2360735
All set up in his new insulated enclosure
>>
>>2361529
My parents were pieces of shit to. My mom sold my herp collection when I got kicked out because of my fibbing older brother.
I'd like to think family means something, but some of us are good people who some how came from shitty parents. If your blood relatives don't deserve respect, than it means nothing. You are the evolution to their degeneracy
I've never care about my family, they were always scum that make me cringe
I once broke my mom's flat screen TV, because she stole my money and she called the cops
>>
>>2361238
Pretty sure its not a tortoise
>>
>>2361529
I'm really happy that story ended with the satisfaction of you fucking her shit up. I'm sorry your family were cunts anon.
>>2361585
Yeah this.
>>
File: jagpondro.jpg (242KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
jagpondro.jpg
242KB, 800x533px
Green tree python x Jaguar morph carpet python

Not sure if it's an abomination or amazing.
>>
>>2361620
Whoa! Very cool looking snek. Is it fertile or is it a dead end cross breed? I ask because with certain cross breeding combinations of lizards and snakes it will work but the resultant offspring are sterile.
>>
Anyone here tried bioactive setup for crickets? I'm moving my box with crickets to balcony for summer and I'm considering putting some dirt and grass on the back so it won't smell so bad so quickly
>>
>>2361728
Most pythons interbreed with no issues. I've seen a hybric ball x burmese before
>>
>>2361620
Look up carpondro's
They are pretty neat. As far as im concerned aslong as the hybrid stays in captivity and isnt genetically fucked up or causes issues with the parents they are ok
>>
File: Screenshot_10.png (414KB, 586x391px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_10.png
414KB, 586x391px
How is the exo terra 36x18x18 for a beardie?
>>
>>2361728
From what I've seen they're a bit of a gamble, each clutch is different.Some have had great success with entire clutches though.
>>2361857
Yeah I feel the same in terms of the ethical question. There's a licensing system in Australia for each state with reptiles so there's not really the issue of animals being released here. Only part I don't like is that with hybrids there's always duds that may be hard to sell (which is exemplified with this particular hybrid), but even then they look different so it's never too hard.
>>
>>2361866
too small
>>
>>2361228
Maybe a four or five foot by two foot space if I get rid of some crap. The big problem is I'm living in an apartment so I might not have that space if I have to move somewhere else in a few years.
>>
>>2361989
Then how big do I need to go? Almost every care sheet I've read (including this general) says a 40g breeder alright
>>
>>2362046
ideally you probably want a 48x24 footprint
>>
Just got a leopard gecko today and I've been leaving him alone except for the occasional peek through the crack of the door. He seems healthy and has been exploring everything.

The only issue is that he doesn't walk like my other gecko. He's keeping his body very low and walks with his legs sprawled. The tank he is in has ceramic tile though so I'm wondering if he's slipping? I don't want to handle him at all for a week but I'm not sure if I should test his footing on other ground, assume he's just being scared and weird, or go get some slate right now. Is this something that can wait?
>>
>>2362171
I don't get it, are you cohabiting them, or are their enclosures just very close to one another?
>>
>>2362233
Also, maybe he's nervous. If he seems to still have a hard time walking on tile, either take him to the vet to check on him or put a little bit of soil/sand over the tiles
>>
>>2362171
Just put some paper towel on the tile, see if that makes a difference.
>>
File: IMG_6872.jpg (77KB, 679x676px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6872.jpg
77KB, 679x676px
Help my ball python has suddenly turned psychotic
When i got him he was really jumpy and easily scared but that was it until i got him out and he was fine but that was months ago and in the last two weeks he started biting if i even walked past his enclosure i tried to let him out once and he started hissing and striking insanely at every direction and hes done it every time since
I dont even wanna stick my arm in there to spot clean or change his water what should i do
>>
>>2362425
Also he gets a small rat once a week so its not a matter of hunger
>>
>>2362233
He is in quarantine in a separate tank that has ceramic rather than slate tile like I prefer. I just noticed he's walking strangely.

>>2362265
I'm going to do this for now and fully replace with slate after a week when he adjusts. He probably is just nervous as he came from a tub/paper breeding rack I believe.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Any day gecko people here? I have what I am pretty sure are male and female peacock day geckos but have yet to see any eggs laid. Might be too soon since its been maybe a month but the female seems so skittish compared to the male who is bold enough to eat from my hand.

They are looking healthy and eat eagerly. Female only likes live food that wriggles a lot though and I have never sighted her eating the baby food which is annoying.

Here is a pic of what I believe to be the male. Any tips on breeding would be helpful I have a well planted Viv that's 18x18. Still trying to accomadate more climbing spaces like perches and catwalks though.
>>
>>2356507
should be at least twice the length you have there the idea is pretty nice but just needs to be longer for more leg room.

You will be surprised how much they like to roam about despite not always moving so much.

This is the setup I got for just one lone male gargoyle gecko...

the work is still in progress as more plants are slowly added.
usually they say get a 40cm x 60cm terrarium but hey if you can afford to give the animal extra space to move about do so makes for a good look and knowing that your animal has a load of space to move as it wants.
This is a 45cm x 90cm.
Used phone so it will look bad.
>>
>>2362425
Sounds like you just got one of the rare nasty bps
If you can move him into a dark room with little sound or disturbance for like a week or two, try that. It might calm him down some

the other, less popular option might be to go about the regular business, and you're going to get bit but you can't flinch or pull away because that will only reinforce the behavior.

sorry bruv
>>
>>2362494
this is a better shot of him sadly he showed his butt to me instead.
going into a new hide I had made for him.
>>
>>2362494
>>2362529
I'm really jelly of both your garg and your setup. How did you do it?
>>
>>2361997
what kind of apartment lets people have monitor lizards anyway?
>>
how long to most frogs typically live?
>>
>>2362549
For the background I used expanding foam and sprayed the back and the right side with it and waited for it to set with the wood pieces in place so they would set with the foam.

for the corner piece of wood i did the first part then had the top held in place with some blutac.

then i did the other side with other pieces of wood to help set it in place.

next I got a natural resin it has a grey colour to it and it is water proof so it can be used for repairing tanks and other things but also used for fixing decorative fixtures and i used the plantation soil from exo-terra and caked it onto the background with the resin that was spread all over the back.
Then i did the same to the right side shortly after.
when that was all done i just looked for large wood pieces with both height and structure that looked pretty good for planting.

takes about 3 bricks of compressed soil to do this since I need to use a lot of soil to fill the wood so he dont fall and get stuck in there.

the hide i only added today as a new change up and so far he loves it.

He eats repashy and some live food but loves wax moths more than anything.
He is about a year and half now and is doing well he gonna shed soon but will keep you posted on how he is doing at later dates
>>
>>2362554
growing up I lived in some shitty apartmens that didnt care what you had aslong as it didnt damage the building and you paid your rent
people had birds dogs fish turtles snakes and even an alligator(most of this belonged to one guy)
>>
>>2362425
DO you feed him in the cage?
>>
>>2362425
he could possible be in shed?
>>
>>2360082
Fug, NYC once again cucked af. Gotta stop the wave of military-style assault snakes related crime, right?

But seriously, that sucks.
>>
File: WP_20170421_18_56_45_Pro.jpg (1MB, 3072x1728px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20170421_18_56_45_Pro.jpg
1MB, 3072x1728px
Getting some ideas together for my new Leo tank, buying wood soon.
>>
>>2362441
>baby food
Stop that. Buy some actual day gecko food. Repashy makes some.
>>
>>2360082
i'm pretty sure balls aren't illegal in nyc, but even if they are there are plenty of people that have them
>>2362624
our reptile (and other) laws are ridiculous
>>
>>2362704

What's wrong with baby food? It's all organic and is the same ingredients as the brand gecko stuff. Unless the gecko stuff has a particular smell or ingredient they like I'm not aware of.
>>
>>2362790
Human baby food is not nutritionally balanced correctly for geckos kept in captive conditions. Repashy and other day gecko specific diets contain essential vitamins in correct proportion for best health of gecko.

Continuing to use baby food puts your geckos at risk of developing metabolic bone disease amongst other things. So cut that shit out. Proper gecko food is not expensive anyway.
>>
>>2362441
Do you even lnow how old they are? Are you prepared to incubate the eggs? Why do you want to breed? Do you have plans for the offspring? I tell you right now you will have difficulty selling them.
>>
File: orangegeck.jpg (94KB, 540x720px) Image search: [Google]
orangegeck.jpg
94KB, 540x720px
>>2362171
He's still walking hesitantly but holding himself normally and upright, even on the tile. I definitely think it was nerves and the fact that he's probably not used to having so much space around him. I'm still going to replace the substrate since this tile isn't conducting heat as well but I'll wait to do that.

Here is a picture of him right after unboxing. Sorry for the quality. I'm trying to decide on his name but can't choose between Kirby, Nova, or Julius.
>>
>>2362924
That's a really fat tail. Watch out for your gecko, make sure it doesn't get overweight. Also it's a qt
>>
>>2362873

Well I've bred other animals my whole life and find it rewarding in raising the babies to adulthood and introducing others to the hobby.

Other than that what's the difficulty in selling them? The reptile store I got them from is already interested in them as well other people. Already have an incubator ready and set and they should both be old enough considering most sources I've read into say day gecko species are ready to breed at about a year old. They already show mating behaviors so I'm not too worried about that just thought I'd have an egg by now is all.
>>
>>2362790
>dude humans and geckos totally require the same amount nutrients
>>
File: image.png (779KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
779KB, 2048x1536px
After some consideration I think I'm going to go with an Animal Plastics PVC for a bearded dragon, can I start the the baby in it or go with a smaller until it grows? (Feeding will be in a seperate tank all together, I know putting small reptiles in big spaces is bad most of the time but a few of my books say its okay for dragons if I provide multiple hides and a large basking spot)
>>
>>2363130
>spending $330 on a plastic box with some hinges instead of just buying a sterilite tub

I swear this must be some form of racket.
>>
>>2363130
i mean it won't arrive for at least 2 months after you order it anyway
>>
>>2363131

>not refurbishing your master bedroom or entire apartment into a desert wasteland for one lizard

Even then it wouldn't be begin enough. The entire continent of Australia is the minimum for a single JUVENILE beardie
>>
Anyone have good links or info on community or mixed species vivariums?

I know it's discouraged but if you did do it what would be compatible and work. I think a palidarium with small tropical fish and maybe a gecko or tree frog would be cool.
>>
>>2363324

Semi aquatic amphibian + fish can work. It is also possible to do garter snake + fish, although those fish will not be staying alive and uneaten for very long. Common combinations for amphibians is red eared slider + fish, red belly toads + fish.

Different species of lizards tend not to work for the same reason that co-hab of lizards of same species usually doesn't; fights and fighting related injuries.
>>
>>2363393
*sorry, 'fire' belly toad is the more common name for those.
>>
>>2363131
this
all my snakes go in tubs to grow out then I diy cages for them and it comes out much fucking cheaper
>>
>>2361238
It's an aquatic turtle, please put it back or go buy a 75gal tank with dock, heat lamp, heater, and canister filter. If there is a tank sale and you shop around this can be done for $300 easily.
>>
>>2360217
>implying a company datamining your purchase history and building a profile on how to moniter and market specifically to you isn't a drawback
>>
>>2363131
>>2363144
So I can start the baby in it?
I think tubs look pretty trashy.
>>
File: orangegeck2.jpg (59KB, 1089x817px) Image search: [Google]
orangegeck2.jpg
59KB, 1089x817px
>>2362952
No worries anon. I believe it's just the perspective making him look so chunky? Here is a picture of him the day before he was shipped to me for comparison.

Thanks! I think he's really nice looking too. Leopard geckos are pretty beginner tier but I'm finding myself getting hooked on them anyway.
>>
>>2363131
The problem is the outfits that make PVC tanks are all small and medium sized businesses fabricating in-house. That means expensive labour overhead.

If one of the big pet supply companies like exo terra or zoo med decided to enter the market of the current year instead of being lazy and/or obstinate, they could sell a line of PVC terrariums for at least 50% less than the current rate.

I have looked in to DIYing a plastic panel based tank with a wood frame and high density polyethylene. The problem there is that industrial plastics are not cheap if you only want to buy one 4' x 8' sheet. So, my solution was to use corrugated plastic for the wall material. It's very lightweight, tough, and relatively inexpensive. It will flex if mounted over a wide area but that can be mitigated by adding additional support backing to it on your frame.

I made this >>2361121 as a prototype test for a full sized tank I am in process of buidling right now. It has corrugated plastic wall sections (the white parts). I'm thinking I may double up the corrugated plastic on the full tank for extra insulation and stability.

By far most expensive part of the whole deal is the clear acrylic for the front.
>>
>>2363622
>Leopard geckos are pretty beginner tier but I'm finding myself getting hooked on them anyway.

Beginner tier just means simple care requirements. It does not mean boring. Leos are great geckos to keep regardless of your experience level.
>>
>>2363622
They're just easy to take care of. I love all four of mine. They are super charismatic!
>>
>>2363631
>>2363635

I agree. Although I hear a lot of people say how boring they can be, I don't really understand why since my female is almost daily up to something stupid and/or entertaining. Obviously the variety of colors and morphs are a huge draw as well.
>>
File: going to the dogpark.jpg (428KB, 1536x1024px) Image search: [Google]
going to the dogpark.jpg
428KB, 1536x1024px
Is it possible to leash a komodo dragon and walk it like one would do with a dog? Just how smart are they?
>>
>>2363647
smart enough to flip around and tear off your calves when it decides its had enough of you
>>
>>2363647
They can be as long as god danm polar bears and have no morals or empathy what do you think
>>
File: byZJYlf.webm (1MB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
byZJYlf.webm
1MB, 720x404px
>>2363647
hehe boi
>>
>>2363722
Did he get a bite?
>>
So I am thinking of buying an incubator for when I start breeding geckos. What is a good incubator to use? I already have egg trays for the deli cups picked out but can't decide what incubator to get or what features would be most desirable.

I see some that have heating and cooling capabilities but many are either overpriced or unreliable reviews. Also many incubators are just for chickens so I am not sure if they would also be suitable for phelsuma species like grandis.
>>
>>2363887
What greckos are you planning on breeding?
>>
>>2363967
*geckos
Kek
>>
>>2363722
Looks like a great animal to have desu. More deer up here than ants. I'd like to see how they'd behave if they were constantly fed meat and whey protein while on an exercise regiment. I would want him swatting away dogs with his baseball bat-like tail while on his walks.
>>
>>2363967

Madagascar day geckos. Exoterra has a neat incubator that heats and cools but I see mixed reviews.
>>
>>2364188
Try a Hovabator
>>
>>2364273

Thanks I'll look into those
>>
>>2363724
The whole "one bite kill" thing is outdated; they have venom glands, not that bacteria cocktail idea. The dragon would need to chew on the deer for a bit to really envenomate it.
>>
File: Snake Pass.jpg (605KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Snake Pass.jpg
605KB, 1920x1080px
I recommend playing Snake Pass
>>
>>2364309
this game is shit
>>
I finally got my husband into herps, arranged for him to meet a friend who has some and is completely enamoured.
Now we want to have a mexican burrowing python. Anyone has any experience with these boys?
>>
>>2359362
everything can die of too much food yes. some frog species are naturally really fat though (like pixie frogs). I don't know anything about midwife toads
>>
>>2363441
>no webbed feet
>aquatic
kys
>>
Is it a good idea to buy a herp via international shipping? Say there was a species I just could't find in my country, what are the pros and cons?
>>
File: 1488650013475.jpg (90KB, 800x534px) Image search: [Google]
1488650013475.jpg
90KB, 800x534px
Backwater reptiles says they have rain frogs available. Should I order one? Will it be healthy? Are they hard to keep? I'm fairly experienced with reptiles but I have never owned an amphibian but these guys look so adorable
>>
>>2364858
>Backwater reptiles
never heard anything positive about them
>>
>>2364858
I ordered a tiger salamander from that website a few years ago and it was dead on arrival. Which astounds me because tiger salamanders are hardy as fuck.

I got the salamander money refunded but they won't refund the $40 shipping, which cost more than the animal itself.

Would not recommend
>>
>>2364759
as long as it is assured to get to you within a timely matter it should be fine
pros would be you cant get it in country as you say and cons being its gonna be expensive as fuck
>>
File: Sand-Rain-Frog-20131012.jpg (274KB, 600x353px) Image search: [Google]
Sand-Rain-Frog-20131012.jpg
274KB, 600x353px
>>2364858

back alley reptiles a shit. A SHIT.
>>
>>2364534
no
>>
>>2365029
What's the maximum amount of time one should wait to get the herp from shipping?
>>
>>2364303
Even then I think its mostly agreed upon at this point that the venom is mostly just an anticoagulant with some mild paralysis

Ideally they want to catch and kill it immediately but if it gets away it'll probably die from blood loss relatively quickly
>>
File: 415.jpg (889KB, 1440x1440px) Image search: [Google]
415.jpg
889KB, 1440x1440px
rate my vivarium senpai
>>
>>2365206
looks real good man
whatchu keeping?
>>
>>2365136
Ideally your critter should not be spending more than 24 hours in the box. Usually what happens in your sender drops off in the evening, box flies overnight, you pick up late morning.
>>
tfw your ball python is 2.5 years old and not much past 3 feet
I think my Cecelia is a Cecil
>>
>>2365206
that's awesome! are those bromeliads? how hard was that to setup up?
>>
File: image.jpg (22KB, 553x495px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22KB, 553x495px
>tfw theres a single non chain pet store that has reptiles in your area
>>
File: Axies.jpg (67KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
Axies.jpg
67KB, 960x720px
Admire the cute. The vitality and amazingness radiating off of them is enormous, and must be acknowledged.
Give me some name ideas
>>
>>2365217
Crested Geckos
>>
>>2365239
yes they are bromeliads, so far there are 5 in there but I have plans to add more. the most difficult part was the background becuase i had moss grow on it and that took 3 months to actually happen. the planting was easy though I already had little spots in the background to put the bromeliads and pothos. another difficult thing was finding the perfect piece of wood.
>>
>>2365206
So how do you clean setups like this?
>>
>>2365267
Guadalupe
>>
>>2365284

Not that anon but with live planted setups, assuming anon also has springtails/isopods in the substrate, it is mostly self cleaning. You just wipe down the large leaves and clean the glass every so often. Once the springtail numbers are nice and high, I rarely have to spot clean gecko droppings at all.
>>
>>2357876
a totally radical one
>>
>>2365136
>>2365233

This. Also try and avoid any breeders/sellers that will ship on Thursday for a Friday delivery. Most won't do this to avoid your reptile getting stuck in the mail over the entire weekend if something goes wrong at the post office.
>>
File: argonian family.jpg (640KB, 995x621px) Image search: [Google]
argonian family.jpg
640KB, 995x621px
>>2364858
>>2365057
Why do these shits look so grumpy?
>>
>>2365138
and the meme came from water buffalos going into bacteria infested waters with open wounds which kills them
>>
Anyone here keep Leaf tails? I'm thinking of getting one. How are they?
>>
>>2365884
thinking of getting one as in "they look cool so I want one", or do you actually know what you're doing?
>>
File: IMG_20170418_195628_929.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170418_195628_929.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>2356264
>>2356307
Update: got him the repashy and he loves it. He's eating/gaining weight regularly and literally every day I find him asleep like pic related. I love his stupid little face. Thanks for the suggestion, anon.
>>
>>2365305
Im the Anon who posted the pic this is exactly what i did
>>
File: fds.jpg (102KB, 1025x769px) Image search: [Google]
fds.jpg
102KB, 1025x769px
>>2365892
Yes, I have a general Idea of how to properly take care of tropical geckos, and if there is something I'm not aware of or haven't researched yet I'm sure I can easily plan for it. Which is also why I decided to ask this general for a more blunt opinion of them or unseen precautions
>>
File: IMG_0053.jpg (1MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0053.jpg
1MB, 4032x3024px
My beautiful boy Waffle

So majestic ;-;
>>
Because of the wood I used for my tank, I need to put the heat mat inside under the tiles.

Is there anything I could attach it to such as aluminum foil so it's not attached directly to the tile's underside? Is the plastic feeling paper that comes on it safe to leave on?
>>
>>2367285

You can leave the paper backing on the UTH without any problem. For fire safety sake I recommend either raising the tile you plan to put it under above the surface of the wood slightly to allow ventilation. 5mm should be sufficient. Alternately you can drill holes in the wood floor below the UTH to get ventilation that way. This is important as the primary cause of fire with UTHs is overheat, which leads to internal components melting, leads to electrical short, leads to fire.
>>
>>2367471
I'll cut out a section and put a mesh screen for ventilation as well as the spacers for good measure
>>
>>2367487

Yep, that'll do the trick just fine.
>>
>>2356264
Don't go too nuts with the calcium because Leopard Geckos can easily overdose on it. Especially that shit with D3 in the powder. They only need calcium like once a week.
>>
>>2367502

Repashy calcium plus was designed to take the guess work out of that. The formula they use is intended to be dusted on feeder insects with every feeding. However, if you do dust the insects every feeding it is not necessary to have an additional bottle cap of calcium in the tank*.

*- unless it is a gravid female leo. They need the extra.
>>
>>2363647
That sounds like a recipe for death and destruction.
>>
File: Juliabite.jpg (179KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
Juliabite.jpg
179KB, 1024x576px
You guys like youtube videos/channels? I've lurked for a pretty long while and havent seen too many.

https://www.youtube.com/user/altheblader/

I post how to vids about my Mexican spiny tailed iguana, Julia, and my dumpy tree frog, Dave. I know I'm shilling, but I thought you guys might like something like that(especially with the cringy as hell thumbnails), and since I don't contribute often I thought this would be a good way to see what you guys think right off the bat.
>>
NEW THREAD TIME

>>2368248

>>2368248

>>2368248

>>2368248
Thread posts: 305
Thread images: 66

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.