[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/aq/-Aquarium General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 351
Thread images: 71

File: image.jpg (404KB, 976x552px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
404KB, 976x552px
PROPER EDITION

Last thread: >>2333966

Discuss anything aquarium related here, including inhabitants, decor and issues.

Google is your friend.
Feel free to ask questions but know that there are a lot of resources out there that could answer your question a lot faster and accurately than /an/.

Make sure to include these things in your post before asking because we can't help you if we don't have the full picture:
-tank size (include dimensions, not just volume)
-parameters (ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, pH, GH, KH)
-any and all inhabitants + how long you've had them

Links:
Care Guides:
>http://seriouslyfish.com/
Plants and Animals for sale:
>http://www.petsolutions.com/
>http://www.aquabid.com/
>http://www.liveaquaria.com/
Database for aquatic plants and their parameters
>http://www.flowgrow.de/db/aquaticplants
>>
>>2336406
I can only think of one thing. Is it a new tank? If so it may have not had enough time to establish a good bio film for them to graze on. Lots of plants help as well. Beside that I'm not too much of a help beside that the shrimp you're getting are severely inbred or bred in much different conditions.
>>
>>2336442
Well considering I don't have a lot of fish, and they don't eat very much, yea I'm willing to spend a bit. I'm going to look into bloodworms and similar stuff, but I was hoping for other high quality dry/bottled stuff that I could keep in the drawer and not have to worry about if my roommate is going to take it out of the freezer while he's high and rummaging around for food, then forget about it...
>>
>>2336483
Should I get bloody mary shrimp or blue diamond shrimp?

Budget not an issue.
>>
>>2336542
Depends on the color scheme of your tank. Pick whichever contrasts the most so their colors pop out better.
>>
>>2336542
I vote for Bloody Mary. I really want some painted reds.
>>
File: r8 my fishtank.jpg (79KB, 900x506px) Image search: [Google]
r8 my fishtank.jpg
79KB, 900x506px
Ded thred
>>
>>2336647
Overcrowded and looks gross 3/10
>>
File: image.jpg (597KB, 3264x1417px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
597KB, 3264x1417px
>>2336647
This is /an/ it's always dead.
>>
Reposting here in the proper general.
Bought some RCS and one is berried. Was going to put them in with my betta and ghost shrimp, but at 5 dollars a piece I figure I could stand to let them breed a bit. I don't have another tank set up right now and I am unsure if the other cherry is a male or just an unberried female. Is there any way I can make a separate area in my tank for them to breed in?
>>
>>2336718
No.
>>
>>2336718
simple answer is no. you will end up losing babies. Get a large container that's more than 1o gallons, some plants, and light and should work out.
>>
> buy khuli loaches last week
>have seen them a grand total of once

What are the point of these?
>>
>>2336760
I have a 2.5 g I could use, but there's no way I can cycle it fast enough. Should I just dump water and gravel from this tank in there and see how it goes?
I'd be fine with losing some babies, as long as most of them grow up. My tank's not that big anyway, only a 10g.
>>
>>2336762
Let them grow a bit, theyll become less shy over time as they get bigger.
>>
>>2336776
You could get a tank divider for now. But shrimp could easily slip through and ghost shrimp and cherries usually don't do too well together.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-03-17-14-57-52.png (555KB, 480x800px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-03-17-14-57-52.png
555KB, 480x800px
Jonebone(betta) and Cyclops(silver lyretail molly) enjoying their 10g in harmony.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-03-17-15-03-08.png (505KB, 480x800px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-03-17-15-03-08.png
505KB, 480x800px
>>2336805
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-03-17-15-06-06.png (551KB, 480x800px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-03-17-15-06-06.png
551KB, 480x800px
>>2336805
>>2336809
>>
File: image.jpg (757KB, 2662x1648px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
757KB, 2662x1648px
I can't wait till they start breeding.
>>
>>2336809
>this pic tell you why the lyretail is named cyclops
>>
>>2336815
Awwh! Just as cute as Jonbone and Cyclops!
>>
>>2336805
>>2336809
>>2336812
Someone give me the (you)s I'm fishing for!
>shitty pun intended
>>
>>2336823
Ugly gravel
>>
>>2336809
Where you at? Michigan?
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-03-17-15-24-56.png (369KB, 480x800px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-03-17-15-24-56.png
369KB, 480x800px
>>2336826
River rock isn't ugly lul. Let's see your gravel.
>>2336827
What makes you think Michigan?
>>
>>2336830
That color gravel mixed in.
>>2336830
Just guessing Michigan.
>>
>>2336809
If you enjoy your tank that's good. Looks like it could use some plants though.
>>
>>2336833
I had a bunch of live plants but the ones I chose would break apart and clog my other filter. Need my next pay check and will spoil appropriately.
>>
>>2336832
Post your aquarium though.
>>
>>2336834
Get some crypts. They've never let me down. I have about 20 crypt wendtii runners I have floating in a net I need to get rid of. Would give away some away to some Michigan bros.
>>2336835
I would. 60 gallon planted but been neglecting the aqua scape and now fighting off staghorn, hair, and bba.
>>
>>2336841
Just post it.
>>
File: image.jpg (950KB, 3173x1531px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
950KB, 3173x1531px
>>2336844
Left side is all crypts, one boivianus, and waiting for all my val to take over. Right side is a single Madagascar lace growing in great and a Amazon sword. Gotta trim my Lily's pads and replant the knocked up plants. Need more hard scape and wood.
>>
>>2336848
I really like it! Thank you for sharing!
>>
>>2336854
Thanks. It will look much better once the vals fill the background and the lace is massive.
>>
>>2336858
But yes BTW I'm in southeast Michigan. Where are you?
>>
>>2336860
Same. Livonia
>>
>>2336863
Oh right on. I'm in Temperance. Do the crypts break apart easily? I had narrow leaf anacharis and duck weed. They would break up into debris whenever I changed water and it became annoying.
>>
>>2336871
No. crypts are good.
>>
>>2336875
Are you really trying to get rid of them?
>>
>>2336876
I have more than enough. I only have on other tank and it has crypts to.
>>
>>2336881
I wish I lived closer to you :,(
>>
>>2336762
>>2336783
Doesn't it also have to do with their school size? How many do you have?
>>
>>2336812
Cute!

I couldn't get Sinbad to relax in the ten gallon and he got horribly stressed out. I think he didn't have enough cover and the cories were too active. He's back in his bowl with one baby guppy that he hasn't been able to catch and eat, and when I get some more plants I'm going to try a 5 gallon.
>>
>>2336950
Get a banana plant. It will put leaves up top like a lily pad kind of. It creates comfy cover.
>>
>>2336815
Asked in the other thread but didn't get a response. How do these guys compare to dwarf shrimp? Is the care similar?
>>
>>2336967
Yes. They are hardy as well. I keep mine with cherry shrimp.
>>
>>2336956
Oooh those look weird! haha. I might, I have some decent sized plants in there right now that I'll post a picture of later so I can get them identified. I basically just grabbed them because it's what was available at the moment.
>>
>>2336967
>>2337000
Along with this they are easier than shrimp as well. Dwarf Cajuns are also native to North America.
>>
I have a 100 watt adjustable heater, is this too much for a 10 gallon?
>>
>>2337125
No I don't think so. I'd just be worried about its physical size.
>>
>>2337126
8 inches submersible, not even an inch in diameter
>>
>>2337136
No problem as long as it works. I used a 300 watt in a 30 long. The only problem is if it fucks up its going to kill your fish quicker but it doesn't happen often.
>>
>>2336950
Definitely get more cover/things for them to hide in. I need more things for Jonbone also. I just put what I have in the corner for him.
>>
>>2337142
Duckweed or water lettuce would make him very happy.
>>
>>2337142
Let me come and we can jonebone
>>
Are there any good guides for aquascaping online? I am specifically looking for small tanks. I'm just going to do a 3 gallon shrimp tank, and have only ever had basic gravel only tanks with barely any plants.
>>
>>2337142
Right now he's got a pretty sizable plant in his bowl with leaves that he lays on, and underneath a sort of cave over his heater that I made with rocks.

He's usually laying on the leaves or scoping out the cave for food. Or staring at colorful things I put near his tank.

Like, he's OK for now, but I definitely want to try to get him more space.

I think a five gallon will be a good upgrade to try. Hopefully...really don't want to see him freak out again, that was horrible.
>>
>>2337144
I had duckweed but it broke apart after a few water changes.
>>
Yoyo. What's the best way to get rid of fin rot for a Beta? I've started putting a tablespoon of Aquarium salt in the 5 gallon tank, but I'm worried it won't be enough. I plan to pretty much never stop giving him the salt just in case it could come back, but is there anything else I can do?

Also, any tips on algae eaters for the tank? There isn't enough decoration for something like a Ghost Shrimp to hide from the Beta, so I was thinking of a snail. If it matters, the Beta is the only thing in the tank right now.
>>
>>2337186
Nerite snail. Ditch the meme salt. The best way to get rid of fin rot is to keep water clean. This is going to mean small water changes about every other day or two days. Also if you're super worried get some Indian almond leaves. It'll stain your water with tannins but they aid in recovery for lots of fish. Almost like an antibiotic. You can find them. Cheap on eBay. This is from personal experience keeping many types of fish. It helps.
>>
>>2337193
Or you could just use dry oak leaves, which you can get for free from outside. The only reason to use any other leaves specifically are the aesthetics.
>>
File: 1462382436399.jpg (21KB, 250x201px) Image search: [Google]
1462382436399.jpg
21KB, 250x201px
>Been doing aquariums over a year
>Never had an issue with cloudy water
>Recently rescape my tank from a planted tank with high light and co2 and high light to a riverbed biotope with low light and hardly any plants
>Get cloudy water
>>
>>2337215
What specific part of the world is your biotope from and what stock from that area?
>>
>>2337208
Yeah but it's almost spring and most leaves are gone. We still have 3 inches of snow on the ground and getting more -_-
>>
Had my cray for a week and it molted. Does this mean my water is fine?
>>
>>2337271
Any substantial forest should still have plenty of leaves. Just grab a few handfuls, sort out anything that's not oak then put them in the oven at low heat for an hour to dry them. Can be stored in an airtight plastic bag practically forever and you don't have to spend money on meme leaves.
>>
>>2337281
Indian almond leaves have more of an effect than most leaves.
>>
>>2337284
Their tannin content is higher, which means you have to use fewer and switch them out less frequently, but I actually like the look of a bunch of leaves and regularly switching out the oak leaves is not a big deal since it's free. I guess if you just don't like the look almond leaves are better since you only need one or two and they quickly release their tannin.
>>
>>2337215
less plants consuming the nutrients in the water = more left over for bacteria
>>
File: P_20170311_210218.jpg (2MB, 4096x2304px) Image search: [Google]
P_20170311_210218.jpg
2MB, 4096x2304px
>>2336812
That's not a very good placement of the betta leaf bed. The manual says to put it like an inch under surface of water. Also you need to train your betta to use it by dropping the pellets above the leaf.
After I've put the leaf near surface and trained my betta he sleeps on the leaf every night.
>>
>>2337294
I've had one. He still chose to sleep on the sand under a rock.
>>
Okay, so I've been thinking about doing my first planted aquarium (and really my only second aquarium, ever).

I've been doing research online, but everything I find is so inconsistent, so I thought I'd run it by you guys and get some more opinions.

I'm thinking about getting either a 10G or 20G as a start. I've heard bigger is better, but I move around a bit and help is few and far between. After researching substrates, I figured I'd go with Seachem Flourite, as it was the only one I found that didn't seem to leave the water permanently cloudy or raise the pH, according to reviews. I was thinking about using Java Fern and Java Moss as my plants, with a hardscape of wood or stone. As far as I can tell, you need liquid ferilizer to add with water changes for the Fern, right?

So besides a heater and filter, what else do I need to ensure this tank would be successful? What stocking options would you recommend? I was thinking a small school of neon tetras and a small clean up crew would fit nicely.

Anything I'm missing?
>>
>>2337310
Pass on the neons if you're new. I'm pretty experienced and neons still die off on me unless you find a good captive bred source. White clouds are great and so are cherry barbs. Remember you can't plant the Java fern. You'll have to tie it to something until roots take hold. I use small lava rock. If you plant it the rhizome will rot and plant will die. With water changes don't add ferts for 24 hours. The water conditioner can me with it and make them less effective. Though if you don't plan on having more than those two plants you won't really need much. Shoot for low light if you're going low tech. Less problems.
>>
>>2337315
Okay. What level of "low light" are we talking about? I currently have a 24 LED clip-on light for my Betta. It seems pretty bright, but would something like that work for a "low light" 10G-20G? More or less?
>>
I've never taken care of a pet, but I want a fish. What should I start with? Thinking a beta
>>
>>2336484
It's new, what about molting? I think thats the problem, I just realized that it might be the water... but I have a cuttlefish bone in there, any idea on how to fix the molting issue?
>>
>>2336718
Get one of these and put filter sponge on the intake and output.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KAJEAJS
Or you can try and DIY one out of window screen.
>>
>>2337328
Seems like a good idea to me.

Look for a 3-5 gallon aquarium kit.
You'll need a filter, a heater, and a thermometer. I keep my Betta tank temp at 75-78 degrees F. Decorate as you see fit, but keep in mind that plastic plants can be pokey and harm your Betta. Look for velvet plants or possibly aim for a live plant option. Just make sure your Betta has something to hide under/behind if it chooses to do so. Be wary about your filter. Bettas like very low flow. There are filters that have adjustable flow, but if you get one in a kit that isn't, it can be easily modified. Sometimes the kits come with good ones, sometimes they don't. You may have to read reviews beforehand.

Last and obvious things: If you're using tap water, you have to treat it. And look up the Nitrogen Cycle and cycling aquariums.

I think that's it. Good luck and have fun. Bettas are beautiful fish that are fun to watch.
>>
>>2336830
Get a tank background
Get better substrate
Get more plants
Get better lighting
Fill your tank all the way up
Get a bubbler maybe

Do these things and it will look better
>>
>>2337193
I have almond leaves, only 1 leaf is good for a 20 gallon long, makes the water a slightly tea look and looks much more natural
>>
>>2337318
The previous anon misinformed you, you can indeed plant java ferns, he may be talking about anubias, but I have java fern planted in my tank and it's just fine. I also don't know what his deal is with neons, I got neons and white clouds in my first tank and had no issues, cardinal tetras may be a different story.
>>
>>2337147
I just look at the contest entries on showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org for inspo. They have them categorized by tank size.

>>2337274
It's pretty normal for crays and shrimp to molt shortly after a large change in water parameters.

>>2337286
IAL have some other antimicrobial properties that aren't found in other leaves. Oak have nearly as many, but with other types you're mostly only getting tannins. They're still good, just not quite as good.
>>
post shrimp
these are mine
>>
>>2337344
>ghost shrimp with red cherry
How well do they fare? Im thinking of the same set up.
>>
>>2337346
they are fine together, just make sure you get actual ghost shrimp (palaemontes sp) and not whisker shrimp (macrobrachium sp) by accident. Whisker shrimp are more aggressive and might go after your red cherries.
Anecdote obviously but I've had 15 ghost shrimp to 3 red cherries and even with the 1:5 number advantage, they didn't bother each other.
>>
I ordered 25 red cherries online, and in a week six have died. Is that about the normal fatality rate? I've checked my water parameters and they're fine, and the shrimp that weren't fron that batch are fine too.
>>
File: _10 gal.jpg (2MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
_10 gal.jpg
2MB, 4160x2340px
>>2337310
Seachem Fluorite is the dustiest substrate I've ever seen in my life. CaribSea EcoComplete gives clear water and doesn't affect pH.
Fluval Stratum has worked better for me for plant growth. It can be dusty initially, but it helps if you add water very slowly to start, like by using airline tubing to siphon it out of another container. Any residual cloudiness gets cleaned up by the filter pretty quickly. Fluval Stratum will buffer the pH to about 7.0.

Neons are really hit and miss. They're something of a poster child for inbred farmed fish. In mine and others' experience it's pretty common for half or more of them to die pretty quickly for no apparent reason.
Glowlight tetras, white clouds, cherry barbs, and harlequin rasboras are all very easy and widely available. I've had trouble with male cherry barbs getting aggressive in smaller tanks, but that doesn't seem to be the norm. I'd recommend Amano shrimp and nerite snails for cleanup crew.

Java fern and moss are both good beginner plants, as well as anubias, crypts, water lettuce and ludwigia. All of those will do fine without ferts. If you search eBay for Osmocote+ root tabs, you can put those under the substrate for better growth.
For plants with rhizomes (java fern and anubias), it's recommended to leave the rhizome (fat root that all of the little roots are coming off of) exposed to the water column. The easiest way to do that is to simply tie it to something using fishing line or thread.

>besides a heater and filter, what else do I need
A light. If you're going for a really low-tech, low-light setup, then just about anything that isn't incandescent will do. This one amazon.com/dp/B0002AS59G with some household CFLs is a good low-budget option for a 10 gallon.

Pic related is an old tank of mine that's basically what I described. 10 gallon with Fluval Stratum, Osmocote+ root tabs, no liquid fertilizer, no CO2, and that same hood I linked to.
>>
>>2337000
>>2337056
I've been planning to start a shrimp tank, but these are tempting. Where did you get yours from? I'm not far from their native range, but I think it'd be easier to buy them than catch them.
>>
>>2337353
Thanks, that's very helpful.

I think I'll start placing some orders tonight.
>>
>>2336830
...No, but it's ugly when mixed with neon and black rocks. It's also barren as hell and it looks like you use a brick to take pictures.
>>
>>2336830
That doesn't look like the type of heater that's supposed to be that far out of the water.
>>
>>2336549
>>2336580
I'm probably going to get blue diamonds or carbon rili shrimpies.
>>
>>2337355
eBay. It was like 35 bucks for 12 cherries 3 dwarf Cajuns and 8 ramshorns with naja grass. Not a bad deal. Also look up dwarf crayfish on Aquabid and you will see a few more deals including them. It's been a week and they're now molting.
>>
>>2337342
Java ferns are not to be planted. Common knowledge
>>
>>2337346
>ghost shrimp
There are several species sold as this, and some are aggressive enough to pick off small cherries.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2425x2814px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2425x2814px
$10 for this small ass portion of buce.
>>
>>2337399
At least they aren't dead, but damn that's small.
>>
>>2337328
20 gallons. Allows for a flexible amount of tank mates or can keep a decent sized aquaria at a time and the parameters dont fluctuate as much.

Betta or shrimp, though I would like to consider a gourami.
>>
i have cherry shrimp, ghost shrimp, and a single crayfish
the ghost shrimp and crayfish molt fine, but when my cherry shrimp molt, they stand for awhile, then fall immediately onto the substrate and die
what do
>>
>>2337405
Check your water. Something is wrong. Cherry shrimp aren't as resilient as crawfish.
>>
>>2337401
Yep. It was a gift though. I know it's buce but don't know it's species.
>>
>>2337409
>species
I meant full name.
>>
>>2337125
>I have a 100 watt adjustable heater, is this too much for a 10 gallon?
yeah.
what happens when you have too large a heater or a heater in low-flow areas is the thing heats up the water in a matter of seconds and then shuts off. Then a couple minutes later it's on again for a few seconds.

this cycle repeats all day, on and off for very short periods of time over and over and over. Since the thermostat on these things is mechanical (bimetallic), over that many uses it wears out and fails. So using an oversize heater or not having enough circulation in your tank makes your heater fail faster.

and failed heaters often destroy tanks. So either get a digital thermostat or run a heater appropriate to the tank size. If you want to be really careful get 2 heaters rated to 1/2 the tank size.
>>
>>2337407
my parameters are 0/0/5
pH is at 6.7

any idea?
>>
>>2337416
these are the same numbers you posted last week.

are you checking them or just guessing they haven't changed?
>>
>>2336484
Who is the eBay seller from Florida? Still interested
>>
>>2337417
It's a possibility there isn't enough calcium and what not in the water
>>
>>2337417
they have not changed, this is my second time today
>last week
it wasnt yesterday?
>>
>>2337418
http://m.ebay.com/sch/i.html?sid=patthan680230&_pgn=1&isRefine=true

This guy. He has many types of invert package deals. Packed very well. My crays are already molting successfully. Shrimp are doing great.
>>
>>2337387
I was under the impression I had a Java fern in my tank, it's planted and doing well. I will take a photo of it when I get home, maybe it isn't a Java fern
>>
>>2337427
You're not supposed to bury the rhizome. Roots and shit are fine. The rhizome needs to be exposed or it will slowly die.
>>
>>2336483
Drogonbro here, havnt been back in a while.
Last time I posted I announced I had a pleco dumped on me by a coworker.
I got the pleco acclimated to dragonfishes salt level and both or thriving now. Pleco like to steal dragons house, but dragon doesn't mine and he hides in his other hut while pleco cleans his house for him.
Dragonfish has started getting big, and as a result lazier.

Will he require less feeding or sparse feedings throughout the day? All I'm reading online is that when they get too big for pellets you need to switch them to beef liver but that doesn't sound very nutritionaly complete for a fish? How much beef liver and how often?

Thanks again guys!
>>
>>2337434
Jesus fucking christ. Everyone press f for the pleco.
>>
>>2337434
There's few freshwater fish that can be acclimated to brackish and marine. Plecos aren't one of them. He we eventually die very early.

Speaking of dum dums I went to petco to get a Anubias and someone dumped an African cichlid in the plant tank. About 4 inches and completely yellow. Not versed in Africans. But scared the shit out of the lady reaching in and grabbing my plant.
>>
>>2337434
>>2337440
F
>>
>>2337434
Fish aren't made to digest mammal protein and fat as their main nutrient source. It can give them fatty deposits on their internal organs in the long term. It wouldn't hurt as an occasional treat, but their main food source should be based on inverts. Shrimp, insects, insect larvae, worms, etc.
Adult fish will need less energy for growing, so they don't need to eat as much.

The pleco isn't going to be able to handle full brackish forever. You should really rehome him.
>>
>>2337440
You guys were the ones who fucking told me who could be acclimated you fucking asshole
-drags out the two gallon- I hate all of u
>>
>>2337461
Does pleco need rocks in this damn thing I'm panicking now
Fuck I don't have an extra heater anymore
Why did you guys do this to me. I even said
"I thought pleco couldn't handle salt" and everyone goes "lol you can acclimate him"
Fuck you guys.
>>
>>2337463
>trusting an anonymous christian image board
where do you even think you are
>>
>>2337461
It will be fine in brackish water for a while.

Yeah, it may be adverse for the fish in the long run, but it's not like he'll die this week, or even this month.

Chill, bro.

And you should always back up what's said on 4chan with individual research. Only a fool takes anything here as absolute truth.
>>
>>2337464
Well, I got so much solid help on dragonfish I thought y'all knew about pleco too. Why when I first asked everyone says "oh yeah, that'll work just acclimate him slowly he should be fine" but now when it's done it's "oh moment of silence for the pleco"
You guys are sick.
>>
>>2337470
the people telling you it will die are the trolls here.

common pleco can be acclimated to low end brackish with no particular problems.
>>
>>2337477
Hope you plan on keeping them for their entire short life!
>>
>>2337461
>thinking people on 4chan are your friends
>>
any ideas for stocking a moderately planted 10g? Besides a betta,
>>
>>2337533
Someone suggested Harlequin Rasbosas to me earlier. Not a bad idea.
>>
File: 20170318_194035.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170318_194035.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
Barbels health AS FUK
>>
>>2337540
Thank I cumed pant
>>
>>2337543
Those 2 tetras spookin in the back
>>
>>2337461
I don't know what other anons said, but I specifically remember telling you that while it would be okay short term if you acclimated it slowly, you should eventually rehome the pleco. I wouldn't suggest reacclimating it to freshwater just to put it in a two gallon tank. It should be fine in with the dragon goby until you're able to find a permanent place for him to go.
>>
File: 20170318_203055.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170318_203055.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
It's (leaf) snowing!!
>>
>>2337565
There is no such thing as acclimating any pleco slowly into any type of brackish environment ^_^
>>
>>2337572
plecos can survive salt treatment for ich just fine.

so they can handle the lower salinities of brackish tanks no problem.
>>
File: images (1).jpg (9KB, 295x171px) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
9KB, 295x171px
Does anyone have stocking ideas for a 85L high tank. was thinking of doing asian blackwater or some aussie stuff seeing as im in the Asia pacific
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-03-18-22-54-00.png (325KB, 480x800px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-03-18-22-54-00.png
325KB, 480x800px
>wait bby I want sum fucc
>>
>>2337598
Nice fantasy world.
>>
File: dragonfish[1].jpg (46KB, 588x532px) Image search: [Google]
dragonfish[1].jpg
46KB, 588x532px
>>2337434
holly shit you have one of these

i have so many questions
>>
>>2337572
I can acclimate a pleco slowly into an environment of concentrated muriatic acid if I wanted to. How long the fish lives for afterward is a different matter. ( ・ิω・ิ) (・∀・) (。>﹏<。) ヽ(^o^)丿
>>
File: DEXATI20170318220241~01.png (276KB, 866x866px) Image search: [Google]
DEXATI20170318220241~01.png
276KB, 866x866px
>>2337662
>holly shit
>>
So my microglanis iheringi is eating my amano shrimp, just a warning to you anons if you ever get one....
>>
>>2337614
If you're up for a somewhat challenging fish, you can try breeding samurai gourami.
>>
>>2337665
False!
>>
File: IMG_1617.jpg (1MB, 2446x2924px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1617.jpg
1MB, 2446x2924px
>Walmart
>>
File: Fish Food.jpg (120KB, 718x745px) Image search: [Google]
Fish Food.jpg
120KB, 718x745px
>>2337694
Jesus Christ, how horrifying.

I have a picture from Walmart a while back.

Thought it was...humorous.
>>
File: 379.jpg (67KB, 600x397px) Image search: [Google]
379.jpg
67KB, 600x397px
>>2337671
good idea! have you kept them before? I've only kept pearls before.
>>
File: 1489906262215-1-1.jpg (76KB, 470x230px) Image search: [Google]
1489906262215-1-1.jpg
76KB, 470x230px
>>2337694
>
>>
Any saltwater or reeffags in the house?
>>
>>2337696
HA!
>>
>>2337703
I haven't. Samurai and licorice gourami are some fish I'd like to have, but I already have so many tanks, and my boyfriend voted that the next one should be a hillstream tank instead.
>>
>>2337696
Please tell me you don't feed your baby boy goldfish daily
>>
>>2337712
They're in the saltwater general.
>>
>>2337718
Call him a cuck
>>
>>2337826
It's from Walmart.

Thought I made that clear.
>>
File: IMAG0109.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0109.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
Sinbad poster here. Re-did the cory tank and I love it.

I also moved the shrimp to their own bowl because the cories kept running into them when they were looking for food or playing, and it would make them hide a lot.

Going to put some sand in Sinbads set-up today and get his plants in the ground.
>>
>>2337880
Should have noticed from their stupid fake gravel bottom. I've never been to Walmart that has sold fish. They don't have any business doing so.
>>
>>2337893
>My Walmart has a decent competent employee that cleans out the dead fish, makes sure the betta cups air holes aren't covered and don't have dye in their water, and always suggests a five gallon minimum on all the fish

If they ever get rid of him I'm going to call the main manager up and let 'em have it.

It's where I got these guys:
>>2337891

And my betta, and they look and act healthier then the three other pet stores in the four towns near me.
>>
>>2337896
>you sure can put your oscar in a 5 gallon
>>
>>2337891
any new growth on the sword plant? Looks emersed grown.
>>
File: 20170319_130450.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170319_130450.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>
File: IMAG0110.jpg (812KB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0110.jpg
812KB, 1836x3264px
>>2337891
Shrimp bowl. It's only a gallon and I'll probably be doing cup water changes every day until I can get them into the bowl that the betta is currently in.

I'll post a picture of Sinbads new set-up once I get it done.
>>
File: 20170319_131142.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170319_131142.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>2337916
He thinks he's hiding
>>
>>2337917
You need water circulation/gas exchange, get a bubbler or something to agitate the water
>>
>>2337911
Ha, I was actually there when someone was asking about getting three koi for a ten gallon, and he tried to tell them that koi get about a foot long or bigger and will have to be moved to a pond, and the lady got so fucking mad. He wasn't even rude about it, she just thought he was trying to shill her a bigger tank.

I don't think I could work in a Walmart, people get so pissed over the smallest shit.
>>
>>2337914
I think I burnt it T_T

I looked up why the leaves were turning brown and to mush and it said that can happen with too much light, which I had a tall lamp near the tank. So I'm hoping for some soon...and just going to let it have natural light in the bathroom.
>>
File: 20170319_131746.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170319_131746.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
The predator that ate my amano shrimp, bastard
>>
>>2337922
Shit...ok will work on that, or put them back with the cories if I can't get one soon. I took them out cause the cories were too active around them, but them hiding is better than being dead.

I can just turn the bowl into a plant/sick ward bowl.
>>
>>2337920
Cute
>>
>>2337923
Happens often at the box stores. They get their reality shattered. Though it did happen at a lfs when some basketball Americans came in smacking their lips about stocking their big ass 20 long with two oscars.
>>
>>2337931
Fucking hell.
>>
File: thank god.gif (1MB, 344x216px) Image search: [Google]
thank god.gif
1MB, 344x216px
>Me and the fiance are in Walmart yesterday
>Fiance has been scoping out my new tanks and thinks they're cool, so first thing he does is head to the fish section
>"I want that one!"
>Points at an Angel fish
>"Hun, those things need a 40 gallon or at least a 20 to start
>"But they're small"
>"That's because they are babies, they get huge"
>"What about that one?" Points at the glow fish
>"Could probably try that, but they don't look as nice without the colored light and they probably need to school so-"
>"Ok misses fish expert, what about these?"
>Points at the bug-eyed black goldfish
>"Those need like a 20 gallon and a lot of filtration, and you need more then one bec-"
>"Jesus christ it's just a fish!" (said it jokingly, but he was half serious
>"Well, do your research. Here, why don't you get a betta. The ten gallon tank is only like $15
>"I don't want a betta"
>"You sure?"
>Pick up one that looks similar to Jonbone but with more red and blue and not as dead looking
>"Alright, he is pretty cool"
>Gets the ten gallon and just drops in the cart
>I turn around and hes handing me the ten gallon back
>"Nigga wat r u doin?
>"Shh, I cracked it. Stand there and act innocent while I switch it out for the other one
>"Nigga u high"
>He grabs the other one and the fish and starts grabbing fake plants
>"Alright, you need a heater and filter and those plants need to be soft so his fins don't rip-"
>"It's just an ity-bity fish, why is it so demanding?"
>"It's a living creature and it needs-
"You're a living creature"
>"Goddamnit anon just get the skull toy so it has something it can hide in"

>Proceed to check out

>Check get's denied for some reason or other and have to leave all the shit

>Mfw

nb4 he comes on here and reads this and spanks my ass. Do your research hunny <3
>>
>>2337941
Sounds like a retard.
>>
>>2337944
Naw, he was just really stoned and excited cause he wanted a pet. He's really good with animals though and treats them well when he has them.
>>
>>2337946
>Naw, he was just really stoned

You're not helping the "He's not a retard" defense.
>>
>>2337941
I would slice him into thin piece and smoke the meat with a high quality hickory. Then snack on it. Maybe make fish food out of the stuff I won't eat. And use the bones for calcium for my snails.
>>
>>2337959
<
>>2337963
lol
>>
>King of DIY has literally build a building to put his aquariums in

How fucking rich is this cunt?
>>
>>2337982
rich people hire people to do things for them.
hell, even middle class people hire people to do things for them.

diy guys are usually pretty poor.
>>
>>2337982
>Could've paid off his mortgate
>Built his own fish house instead

My idol
>>
>>2337989
I don't think many poor people have fish rooms let alone fish buildings
>>
>>2337335
Thanks man. Are live plants sustainable in that small environment? I rather go natural there
>>
File: 1489882266029.jpg (343KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1489882266029.jpg
343KB, 900x900px
>>2337982

I know he makes some money off YouTube, but otherwise he claims he's a "stay at home dad".

>stay at home dad
>100k aquarium building

He's awesome though. My favorite fish YouTuber by far.
>>
File: IMAG0111.jpg (968KB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0111.jpg
968KB, 1836x3264px
>>2337995
I think it's possible if you trim them and give them foods.

Current betta setup in 2.5

My plant is too tall...gonna have to do something about that if the leaves start to die...

5 gallon is good though if you get one, especially for the fish.
>>
>>2337925
No. That happens when emersed grown plants are planted underwater. They melt and grow back with immersed growth. Happened to my sword. As soon as I started noticing new growth I started cutting off the old leaves.
>>
File: IMAG0113.jpg (1MB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0113.jpg
1MB, 1836x3264px
>>2338021
New pic. Water is still a little cloudy, and I put the heater in the wrong spot, but that's fine. He's got a nice darkcave, and STILL has not eaten the guppy. Loves to chase it around though.

>>2338030
Oooh. Well thats good to know. I've just been trimming the rotting leaves and begging it not to die.
>>
>>2338030
Also the yellowing can mean deficiency since they are heavy root feeders. Cheap root tabs on eBay help well. Plant em deep as you can under the plant. My sword grows a new leaf every 2-3 days.
>>
>>2338038
Alright, what can I feed them in the meantime?

All I have is like..dried shrimp, betta food, and goldfish flakes. And algae wafers, but they probably don't eat that.
>>
>>2337946
He sounds retarded, who the fuck drops a glass tank in a cart hard enough to crack it? If he's confused for a fish, please don't get anything bigger.
>>
>>2338041
I'm talking about to plant.
>>
>>2338047
The* God damn auto correct makes me want to blow my Brians out
>>
>>2338047
Yea, you feed plants don't you? Or I guess you call it fertilizing, but you're basically feeding them. Giving them sustenance.
>>2338050
Lol, turn it off
>>
File: Screenshot_20170316-212452.png (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170316-212452.png
1MB, 2560x1440px
>>2337982
>>2337996
I've just subscribed and been binge watching King of DIY like a week go. Love his videos and he seems like a really swell guy.

I was under the impression that he also had a full-time job, I could have swore he mentioned in like two videos. Unless he's one of those turds who considers stay-at-home parenting to be a full-time position.

Also on that topic, when I first saw his big 350gal tank he built for the blue crossback arowana, I had to lol at how fucking close he built it to the room's only door, I thought it'd be hilarious if it opened towards the tank
>>
>>2338063
He's high like 90% of the time.
>>2338058
Yes. Root tabs or liquid fertilizer.
>>
>>2338063
>The video of him doing cosmetic surgery on said fish

Anyway, tfw American and can't get a asian memefish
>>
>>2338067
>He's high like 90% of the time.

Source?
>>
>>2337996
I think he said that he expected this to cost 85k and he doesn't actually have that but he started doing it anway.

Also I think his plans for what he wants to do with it are great but will probably will cost him even more than the 100k he's expecting now.

>inb4 wife throws him out and he happily lives in the shed with his fish
>>
>>2337982
This is just begging for a disaster.

>super cold winter
>only 1 heating unit
>small shed with mediocre isolation
>probably overhead power lines
>probably no diesel electric generator for backup

One bad winter snow storm and he can chisel all of his fish out of ice blocks.
>>
>>2338096
I'm sure he's taking that into consideration.

He's not an idiot. If you're spending $100,000 on a fish house, spending an extra couple grand for a generator isn't much more.

And I don't think he's overlooking anything. Especially not since his last Rays died.
>>
>>2338081
>source
His eyes in his videos
>>
>>2338104
I don't see it.

Just watched the first 30 seconds or so of 10 of his vids.
>>
>>2338108
Those red eyes bro.
>>
File: image.jpg (116KB, 714x858px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
116KB, 714x858px
He woke.
>>
>>2338114
Yeah, no shit.

Unless the 10 vids I picked just so happened to be ones where he hadn't lit up beforehand, I'm not seeing it.
>>
>>2337982
Not as much as you'd think, his entire channel is based off of doing shit yourself for cheaper prices, especially for the scale of shit he builds
>>
>>2338119
You blind as fuck nigga. Get some bud and chill out.
>>
>>2338128
Except that he already priced it at around $85,000.

>>2338139
I think you're just looking for something that's not there.
>>
>>2338144
Or the video he deleted of him smoking one with Rachel
>>
>>2338117
you sure that ain't a infection
>>
>>2337941
Jonbone, Cyclops, Biclops, Jerry and I shared kek's.
>>
>>2338163
Yes. It's just a spec of color.
>>
>>2338117
Pretty boy
>>2338168
>Cyclops, Biclops, Jerry

Post your fishes, I wanna see them!
>>
File: 20170319_185223.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170319_185223.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>2338205
I don't give my fish stupid names, or names at all really.
>>
>>2338226
I only name fish under certain conditions:

1. They are in a tank of their own or stand out in a community tank.

2. They have some sort of personality, or perceived personality. (come up to you for food, etc)

3. I've had them for a few months. (I figure if you keep them alive for 3 months, they'll probably be alright.)
>>
File: image.jpg (133KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
133KB, 800x600px
>>2338205
He scoffs at you but acknowledges your compliment.
>>
File: image.jpg (974KB, 1869x2427px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
974KB, 1869x2427px
>>2338241
To clarify I don't have him anymore. Went to some Asian dude who put him in an amazing planted tank. Pic was taken after he got fin nipped by some serpaes. Beginners mistake. He was glorious. This pic was when I first received him.
>>
File: DSC_0937.jpg (2MB, 2488x1552px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0937.jpg
2MB, 2488x1552px
One of my blue rainbowfish has a funny eye. He has been like this since I bought him.

He has a hard time with my vicious serpae tetra nipping off his tailfins. He also has a hard time getting any food at feeding time because he cannot see through that one eye, so i need to put him into a breeding net to make sure he gets something to eat.

His tailfin is getting more torn and smaller everyday because of nipping and bullying. My other rainbowfish are fine.

Might have to give the poor ugly asshole away so he can be in a tank with gentle tankmates.
>>
File: Hyphessobrycon-eques-PM-1.jpg (358KB, 799x599px) Image search: [Google]
Hyphessobrycon-eques-PM-1.jpg
358KB, 799x599px
>>2338246
>>2338258
two unrelated posts in a row about Serpae fin-nipping. Those little red monsters are like packs of piranhas.
>>
>>2338226
Cute!
>>2338241
>>2338246

Oh wow, he is really pretty. What kind was he and how much was he?
>>
>>2338258
where do you live anon? I might take him off your hands if you want.

I have a 10 gallon with nothing but 5 cories in it and I don't plan on adding anything else except maybe one more plant. Temp sits at about 79 F all day.
>>
>>2338265
>>2338258
Oh wait, they need 50 gallons. Welp, nevermind. Sorry man.
>>
File: 20170319_202436.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170319_202436.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
It keeps on growing and shows no sign of slowing..
>>
>>2338289
I actually have a question, these are Amazon Frogbit right? Does your filter produce any flow and push them back to a designated area? I'm struggling to keep these things alive and I heard they dislike having water flow, which appears to be the problem I'm concluding...
>>
File: 20170319_215846.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170319_215846.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>2338306
Sorry, this is salvinia minima, not frogbit, it collects above my circulation pump, I assume because it's the quietest area water flow wise. I positioned it there to shade my crypt and anubia, as my light is too strong for my tank. I love the look of it, but it chokes my hornwort and I have to sperate them constantly or the hornwort will die.
>>
>>2338263
A halfmoon plakat I got for like 5 bucks at petco. Was nicer than most of the bettas I've seen there. Some Asian dude on a Facebook group offered me $20 and came and picked him up. Has his own 20 long planted.
>>
>>2338343
He doesn't look too well.
>>
>>2338347
Yea, they're pretty dumb, but usually gauge my cory health by their barbels and they look great
>>
>>2338353
I'm talking bout the burns.
>>
>>2338346
>5 bucks

Fuckin lucky. I can't find any cool looking ones like that near me. I still relly want a black betta, but they are hard to find.
>>
File: image.jpg (117KB, 1115x2048px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
117KB, 1115x2048px
>>2338360
I also had one labeled as a black betta. But was more purple. Giant plakat. He was 3 inches before I temporarily left the hobby.
>>
>>2338362
>black and purple

You bastard I hate you so much!

I'm sorry anon, I didn't mean that, I'm just so jealous.
>>
File: image.jpg (134KB, 750x879px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
134KB, 750x879px
I wanted to say something but haven't talked to him in years.
>>
>>2338354
What burns? I must not know what to look for.
>>
File: b72.jpg (27KB, 580x365px) Image search: [Google]
b72.jpg
27KB, 580x365px
>buy a 2 more zebra danios to up my school to 5 in total
>one of them's really skinny
>few weeks after
>pearl gourami develops weird lesions which have now healed after water changes
>2 of the gouramis one of the original longfins is gone and the smallest one died
>the corpse of it is weird though, cut Exactly in half with the other one missing
what could of caused this? should i buy another zebra, im going ot wait and see if the second longfin comes back. The only other fish are otocinculus which have a large supply of algae and diatoms.
>>
Hi /aquariums/

Recommend or suggest me your favourite tropical top level/surface fish. I have a school of 20 serpae tetra and a pair of blue rams hanging out between the middle and bottom of my tank (55gal). Tank is heavily planted with lots of hiding places too.

So far i'm thinking either marbled hatchetfish, smaller kilis, or some sort of danios, although i've read different things about where the danios like to hang out.

Also how important will duckweed or other floating plants be for these surface dwellers? I used to keep it at about a 1/3rd of my tank but got tired of need to take over half of it out weekly during the water changes just to maintain the messy duckweed. Are there better floating plants?
>>
>>2338405
danios do stick to the very top, I've never seen mine go lower than the middle before even to get food
>>
File: image.jpg (124KB, 1267x640px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
124KB, 1267x640px
>>2338405
I've had marbled hatchets. They're great. Surface cover would make them feel more safe. Mine. Water isn't messy. They're chilling by the output and makes a lot of tiny bubbles.
>>
File: IMG_4895.jpg (164KB, 1200x807px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4895.jpg
164KB, 1200x807px
>>2338265
They don't really need 50 gals if you don't have a whole shoal of them. But 10 gallons is maybe too small. I live in New Zealand, Dunedin so The likelihood of anyone on this board being near me is unlikely
>>
>>2338411
The reasoning for the 50 would be space. They're active fish.
>>
>>2338413
They definitely are. The retarded eye fish keeps still a lot though.
>>
>>2338405
My favorite top dwellers are African butterfly fish, but those serpae tetras would royalty fuck up their fins.
Danios or hatchetfish should be fine. Only certain killis would work, though, like golden wonder. Others would either not be top dwellers or have elaborate finnage that would be targeted by the tetras.

Salvinia is a great floating plant. It grows crazy fast, but it's a lot easier to deal with than duckweed since the leaves are much larger. You could also try water lettuce or frogbit.
>>
>>2337829
Yeah, that doesn't exist.
>>
It's been a week and 2 days and my dwarf cray is berried!
>>
File: image.jpg (756KB, 2421x1939px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
756KB, 2421x1939px
>>2338593
>>
File: e67.gif (695KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
e67.gif
695KB, 640x360px
>>2338593
>>2338597
Slut.
>>
>>2338408
>>2338407

Thanks anons. Will probably get a smallish group of 6 or 7 pearl danios

>>2338455
>salvinia and water lettuce illegal here
unlucky

I think i'll just suck it up and get some duckweed with some frogbit though thank you.
>>
>>2338599
Are you a kiwi?
>>
>>2338598
Yeah but she's my slut. She accidentally dropped a few eggs and frantically tried to grab them.
>>
>>2338601
Close one.

Australian
>>
>Leave for a 9 day vacation
>tank lights used to be on/off whenever i felt like it
>decide to get a timer and put it on a set lighting schedule a few days before
>Set the timer wrong and it was on 16 hrs of light a day when I left
>Pet sitter probable overfed
>Come home to a carpeted tank of algae

wheps
>>
>>2338608
Ayy arlri mate
Hows it going mate?
Ya good mate?
Hav a stella on me mate!
>>
>>2338624
Pics?
>>
>>2338634
I didn't take any, I did lights off immediately when I got home and I think I'm going to change out the substrate. I really hate using sand, gonna get some natural river rock and scrub down the tank tonight.

might actually be due to low c02 from my phd in google so maybe i should inject, my last planted tank (7 years ago) had diy injectors. right now i just have a betta
>>
>>2338629
Thanks mate stay golden
>>
>>2338599
Salvinia minima is illegal in texas as well, as it's an invasive species. Didn't stop me from buying some from someone on etsy, now I sprinkle a few leaves in my local water ways every couple weeks.
>>
>>2338673
Same. I also do this with fish I want to breed. Come back a year later and fish a few out I want to keep.
>>
File: image.jpg (901KB, 2174x2490px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
901KB, 2174x2490px
BIG MEATY CLAWS
>>
File: image.jpg (959KB, 2115x2480px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
959KB, 2115x2480px
>>2338701
These claws aren't just for attracting mates!
>>
>>2338597
How long until Dwarf Crays reach maturity? I plan on breeding some myself, however, I'm unsure of their gender differences due to them being young.
>>
>>2338712
You have some? Any pics? Hard to tell just by looking at without flipping them over. But males usually have bigger fatter claws.
>>
>>2338712
But to answer your question mine still aren't even fully grown. But to reach sexual maturity it took them maybe about a month. Depends on water quality and foods. I keep empty ramshorn snails in my tank with a bit of egg shell. Helps with molting a bit and they molt quite often. I feed them just a tiny bit daily sometimes every other day. Mainly some algae wafer or some blanched spinach. They do eat on decaying plants though but not healthy ones. Once in a while I'll throw in a carnivore pellet or shrimp pellet split up so they don't fight.
>>
>>2338704
I'd eat him If I was there
>>
>>2338725
Once I breed enough they'll be going into a crawdad boil. It's going to be amazing.
>>
>>2338732
You know they are going to taste like your food you give them right?
>>
>>2338739
All they eat are creole seasoning mmmmmmmmmm
>>
File: 20170321_074643.jpg (106KB, 774x1032px) Image search: [Google]
20170321_074643.jpg
106KB, 774x1032px
help
>>
>>2338786
Well deserved :)
>>
Setting up a new tank and looking for hardscape ideas.

It's just a 10G. In your experience, what makes a better scape?

All stone, all wood, or a combo of both?

Coupled with plants, of course.
>>
File: little something.jpg (233KB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
little something.jpg
233KB, 2448x3264px
>>2338715
>>2338719
Here it is, had a missing arm when I got it, but I'm sure it'll grow back after a few molts.
I appreciate the help! I'll get another when I get to the LFS.
>>
>>2338821
Oh, its in it's little enclosure, I'm waiting for my established filter to cycle the tank before I put them in there.
>>
Hey guuuys...

Is it normal for cherry shrimp to be fanning their stomachs? Or should I be worried?
>>
>>2338859
By "stomach" I'm assuming swimmerets? Completely fine, females do it much more often if they have eggs.
>>
>>2338862
Under their bodies. And ya, it's females. I don't see eggs though, but that's a relief.
>>
>>2338859
Normal bro. Pics of shrimp?
>>
File: image.png (741KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
741KB, 750x1334px
This dumb bitches prices are all over the place. She's selling 80 cherry shrimp for like 1060 bucks. Then 10 cherry shrimp for like 100
>>
>>2338874
What kind of third world isolated island kind of pricing is that?
>One assorted
Nice meme
>>
>>2338881
Texas
>>
File: wtf is this algae.png (1MB, 958x900px) Image search: [Google]
wtf is this algae.png
1MB, 958x900px
What is this algae and how do I stop it from growing?
>>
>>2338890
those are worm tubes.
>>
>>2338892
Yet there are no worms in the tank.
>>
>>2338894
there are worms. you just don't see them. spirobid worms.
>>
>>2338898
This is a freshwater tank and a quick google search tells me that's not what these look like.

There doesn't appear to be any worms inside of the casing either.
>>
File: a10.jpg (22KB, 726x295px) Image search: [Google]
a10.jpg
22KB, 726x295px
Shot an artsy video of my 10 gallon for something to do. Don't watch it all, it's literally 10 minutes of two stable shots cut together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RauqLwaWjyk
>>
>>2338902
Why'd you choose that music dude?
>>
>>2338906
it's part of a project don't question it.
>>
>>2338909
K. Cool tank though.
>>
>>2338911
thanls dude, appreciate it :)
>>
> Spare 20 gallon tank

Any tank group ideas? I was thinking a khuli or two and a few guppies/
>>
>>2338917
Go full kuhlis. I have a spare 20 as well and will be doing a ~10 Kuhli only tank. I hear they come out and are active in large groups with no other fish.
>>
>>2338917
Secret Option C: You don't need any more fish
>>
>>2338965
leave
>>
>>2338965
That'd be true if I had any.

Turtle in a 50 gallon.

>>2338919
Sounds fun but I'll stick to something more diverse for now.
>>
>>2338966
But I wanna stay :(
>>
>>2338063
you obviously dont have kids. and that youtube channel probably makes more than a job at the grocery/ pet store or whatever. not everybody can be a doctor.
>>
Just posting my appreciation for you aquarists.

You guys really are unique, creating habitats blending real science and art.

It takes more than just some knowledge and effort, you never stop learning and wondering, and growing.

You govern a whole ecosystem and in doing so, become part of it. You really have your own, wondrous water world, and I think thats really special.

I know you guys have probably seen this vid a hundred times, but in case there's a casual browser like me that hasn't, here is an aquascape vid I like to watch that shows the sorts of things that inspire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lsa8VhLGh2s

I dont think they have to be this elaborate to be respectable though. Anyone who truly cares about the habitat they manage for their animals earns just as much respect as anyone else doing the same, imo.

Pic somewhat related; not an aquarium of course, but what I imagine when I see one, another world with its own rhythms.
>>
https://youtu.be/Nw-ks2jJGNA

This video is kind of relaxing.
I love fish. But inverts are pretty interesting.
>>
>>2339009
>you never stop learning and wondering, and growing.
sure you do.

start posting on /aq/ and you're instantly and expert on everything! Freely insult anyone that tries to teach you until they go away. Demand citations for every little thing you could easily look up yourself.

Bam! You're done learning.
>>
One of my guppies might have cottonmouth

Hasn't eaten anything today and just drifts around the top of the tank while the other guys dart around and attack their food. His bottom lip is looking a bit unhinged and white

Should I salt the tank a bit or just keep the water clear and hope for the best? Half the internet says to kill the poor bastard before it spreads and the other half says it's no big deal and he'll probably live if I add some salt
>>
>>2339047
Isolate it in another container with an air pump and see what happens.
>>
>>2339036
Do you keep primarily saltwater fish anon?
>>
Would hermit crabs go here in the aquarium general?
>>
>>2339063
Sure.
>>
>>2339063
Yeah sure. People may be more experienced in the invert general though.
>>
>>2339071
Thanks for the tip, friend.
>>
>>2338917
>a khuli or two
You need more than one or two. More like five or eight. They'd be fine with guppies, but if you mix sexes with guppies you'll end IP with hundreds.
>>
File: IMG_20170318_123451.jpg (3MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170318_123451.jpg
3MB, 4160x3120px
Bolivian ram bros.
>>
File: images (1).jpg (12KB, 267x189px) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
12KB, 267x189px
Just got a male kribensis and i was wondering if i could keep 2 males in my tank together? I have a 38 gallon tank.
>>
>>2339108
Google it.
>>
>>2339169
>.
I did I couldn't find much. I thought someone on here might have some experience with them.
>>
File: Tubes.jpg (36KB, 440x440px) Image search: [Google]
Tubes.jpg
36KB, 440x440px
>>2338900

Looks like midge fly larvae (Chironomid) to me
>>
File: 1481982048447.jpg (63KB, 350x401px) Image search: [Google]
1481982048447.jpg
63KB, 350x401px
>>2337941
>People this retarded can get fiances, and I'm going to die alone.
>>
>>2338079
I doubt I'd ever have the balls to just cut the fin off of such an expensive fish...
>>
>>2338786
Sorry for your loss.
Send pics of the housefire.
>>
>>2339266
it's ok just marry a fat girl with low standards
>>
>>2339280
>like the poster he replied to
Kek
>>
File: 2017-03-19 09.34.13.jpg (2MB, 4128x3096px) Image search: [Google]
2017-03-19 09.34.13.jpg
2MB, 4128x3096px
I love watching my ghost shrimp just hover
>>
PETCO'S DOLLAR PER GALLON SALE IS STARTING ON APRIL 2ND
As relayed to me by a cashier. I'm in the southeast US and I'm not sure if it's local.
>>
>>2339253
Hey thanks, I spent so long trying to figure it out. At least two hours looking at freshwater worm identification guides alone. I thought it was algae too for a long time.

So they are blood worms? I'd like to see if I can capitalize on this. Anybody know anything about raising blood worms?

>>2339227
Doesn't appear to be anyone so far, but don't be sad. You can become /aq/'s resident kribensis expert.
>>
>>2338872
Sorry got busy.

Here's one, but I don't see the other three.

I'm a little concerned, shouldn't they be more active? They were active yesterday. I do small water changes twice a week and vacuum the gunk out, and the water is at 78 F. Test kits also come up fine.
>>
>>2339394
Did you forget your pic bruh
>>
File: IMAG0114.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0114.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>2339394
Ack
>>
File: IMAG0115.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0115.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>2339396
Yes. I've only been getting about 3-4 hours of sleep the past week.
>>
>>2339397
Where'd you get them? My friend wants to do shrimp in his riparium and is happy to pony up $60 for 5 cherry shrimp. He's new to aquarium keeping so I want to help him save some cash.
>>
File: IMAG0116.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0116.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>2339401
My package came!

Yaaaaaaasssss!
>>
>>2339410
Your next package should contain a camera that wasn't manufactured 90 year old Taiwanese woman with Parkinson's.
>>
>>2339407
I went into the local pet shop just to get some plants (because her shit is dirty and disgusting, and I wouldn't even get a feeder goldfish from her) and she happened to have some cherry shrimp for 2 bucks.

Since they were super cheap I went ahead and grabbed four, just hoping to breed some for betta food. Two guppies snuck in the bag as well, and my betta ate one, but the other is hiding out in his tank, so I'm going to catch it and move it to a one gallon till it's big enough to go in with the cories.

I am trying to take good care of the shrimp and hoping they will breed, because, goddamn, they are super hardy and very bright red.

Like, in the past week or so that I have had them, I have moved them three times, changed their water without doing any kind of drip, and put them in an unheated gallon bowl for two days, and they were fine. They went back in with the cories two...three days ago? They have been fine so far.

I'm wondering if they are still kind of asleep since it's raining outside, and that made the light in my bathroom a bit darker than normal.
>>
File: IMAG0119.jpg (1MB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0119.jpg
1MB, 1836x3264px
>>2339410
>>2339416
Jesus christ...

I didn't let it focus. I need to fucking sleep.
>>
>>2339418
How does a guppy sneak into a bag? Maybe I'm just thinking of adults and you got some super small fry in the plants...
>>
>>2339418
Corys will eat the baby shrimps.
>>2339407
If he's willing to spend that much have him get some fire red/painted reds
>>
>>2339394
Also temp is a bit on the high side for the shrimp
>>
File: red-cherry-shrimp-500_1.jpg (41KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
red-cherry-shrimp-500_1.jpg
41KB, 500x500px
>>2339456
This is what he's looking at:
http://www.theshrimpfarm.com/freshwateraquariumshrimp/blue-dream-shrimp.php

and

http://www.theshrimpfarm.com/freshwateraquariumshrimp/10-grade-aa-red-cherry-shrimp.php

Anybody have experience with theshrimpfarm.com?
>>
>>2339459
What's the ideal temp for shrimp?
Also, I've heard shrimp don't like water changes, and I know about drip changes, but would they do poorly in a riparium with a small (2-4" drop) waterfall?
>>
>>2339447
Yea, they were babies. Like, one or two days old.

They were in my shrimp bag actually...
>>2339456
>Corys will eat the baby shrimps.

Damnit.

Hmm...I don't think my fiance would kill me if I had one more tank in the room...
>>
>>2339460
No experience but not a bad price for the red cherries. Blue dream price could be a bit better. I've heard good things about them though. If he wants both let him know they'll breed and the babies will be brown wild types.
I get my shrimp from Aquabid and eBay.
>>2339464
My tank sits at around 72 unheated and shrimp are active and breeding. As long as the waterfall isn't very strong if they have the option to be a distance away from it. Cherries are hardy. Depending how large the volume of water is I do a Dixie cup water change every other day.
>>
>>2339466
Get a bunch of moss or naja grass. Naja grass grows crazy and gives the shrimplets room to hide and graze. Same with miss because they will hide inside of it. It would save room and be good for the tank.
>>
>>2339468
Ah, I was under the impression that were they to breed, they'd have a chance of producing something like the Rilli types (pic related). Could you perhaps elaborate on that so when I try to inform him that he won't be getting neat babies I can actually sound informed?
>>
File: carbon-rili.jpg (45KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
carbon-rili.jpg
45KB, 400x300px
>>2339471
this is the related pic
>>
>>2339471
It's just how it is. It's not impossible. You may end up with blue rilis. Then you'll have to breed those blue rilis with other blue rilis and keep culling all the brown wild types and undesirable colors. It would be easier to start with blue rilis. It's just that the genes want to revert back into wild types. It took me over a year to selectively breed red cherry shrimp into fire reds.
>>
>>2339469
oh nice, thank you anon. I'll order some when I get a chance.
>>
>>2339410
>>2339416
My first thought was wktk wktk (excited shaking).
>>
>>2339484
Well he's already agreed to give me all the culls as feeders, so he obviously plans to be active in the breeding process. I guess what I'm really asking is if someone's willing to take the time, are two different colors ever going to produce beautiful hybrid colorations or is it just mud?
>>
>>2339505
It really depends. You can mix some shrimp and get some colors. But at first you'll get quite a few culls. Once you get a few of the colors you want he should put them in another tank and breed them a few generations (not long at all for shrimp) until it stabilizes. If he has the time and interest I would go for it. It's very rewarding.
>>
>>2339512
Lr bretz has a skittles pack if your friend is interested in high quality shrimp. It's a mix of different color neocaridinias
>>
>>2339534
Link?
>>
>>2339535
http://lrbaquatics.com/t/skrittles-shrimp-mixes
>>
>>2339287

thats pretty cool

:3
>>
>>2339076
>>2339108
Did you guys take this picture, and if so may I have permission to use it in this wiki:
http://aqfreshwater.wikia.com
>>
>>2339633
I took the Bolivian ram picture, and yes you may use it.
>>
>ghost shrimp molted
if my amano shrimp and dwarf crayfish molt, it's time to rain red cherry shrimp
>>
>>2339664
Thanks dude.
>>
I'm somewhat new to aquariums but after some time I want to try neon tetras. I'm sure most everyone has had some at some point so if you guys could give me any tips with how you cared for them that would be wonderful! And yes, I am using google, yes I have already researched somewhat how to take care of them. No I don't have any yet.
>>
>>2340222
Have stable water, keep it clean and you will be fine
Thread posts: 351
Thread images: 71

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.