[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rehome or to the vet for euthanasia

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: 1393363211129.jpg (441KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
1393363211129.jpg
441KB, 1024x683px
Due to unfortunate and unforeseen circumstances, I am no longer able to keep my dogs to a reasonable living standard. I'm having trouble deciding between taking them to the vet to be put down, and rehoming them.

On the one hand, they'd have the chance to live out the rest of their lives.

On the other hand, they're a bonded pair, so they have to go together. One is chronically unwell. Both are large, aggressive to other dogs and some people, unsuited to families with children as the younger one is food aggressive, and unsuited to farms as they would chase and potentially kill livestock, and unsuited to families with small animals (cats, birds, rabbits) as they would kill them. I would need to find them both a family with money to look after the sick dog, and also a family where at least one member has extensive dog experience, and I'm not certain that's feasible.

So, vet or new family?

Help me choose, /an/. They can't stay with me. They would suffer.
>>
>>2277506
What breed are your dogs? There's a lot more people who are willing to take care of desirable breeds, whereas you'd have a hard time finding anyone to rehome even a healthy pibble.
>>
>>2277506
Maybe see if any local rescues would be willing to take them. I know the ones in my area would absolutely not break up a bonded pair and they could at least be in foster with an approved person until the ideal owner comes up. Don't euthanize the dog if he has a manageable condition
>>
Why didn't you train them?
>>
>>2277507
A Malinois and an Akita. Not fit to be working dogs. Rubbish temperaments.

>>2277508
I live in a stupid part of the world where there are no rescues for these breeds. All I have for an option is the SPCA. And the condition is actually multiple conditions, each of which has a different expensive medication. She's on 16 pills a day.
>>
>>2277509
I did. They're difficult breeds and I've done the best I can under the circumstances. I actually find them highly manageable and they're fine with visitors and people on the street and if I need to avoid another dog, I just have to step 6 feet up someone's driveway to get out of mine's reaction zone. The problem is I don't trust whoever they go to not to be a complete fucking idiot and get another animal or person killed.
>>
>>2277511
honestly I would have the sick dog put down. I think it's wrong to prolong life at a great cost. you might be able to find a home for the other dog, just be upfront about the aggression.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.