[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to regain dog's trust?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

File: wimper.jpg (9KB, 309x206px) Image search: [Google]
wimper.jpg
9KB, 309x206px
So I got a Foxhound a couple of months ago and he's gone from aloof and indifferent to starting to be a family dog.

Like my old dog, I wanted to train him to run along side a bike. My old dog had picked up on this very fast and he liked it so much he'd freak out and spin in circles beside my bike as he waited for us to get going..

After a week of just walking the bike along side my Foxhound I felt he was ready for a slow coast down a one way street. He did okay for the first couple trails. I coasted downhill slowly and kept my right foot out to keep him at a safe distance. I always keep the leash at a length where the dog can't go in-front or behind the bike.

We kept practicing the slow coasting trails for two days and he seemed to be getting better and more comfortable, he started understand me saying "left" and "right" and what to do.

On the last day however, someone's dog flew in out of no where. Russel (the foxhound) is quite afraid of dogs charging him. He then tried something my older dog had never tried, he tried to slip under and IN-BETWEEN the two tires.

Figuring it to be a safer option I kicked him back. We we already breaking at this point and he got jolted a little by the leash as he recoiled.

I nearly fell off the bike and got up and shouted at the pit who was running up at us, the pit fucked off, but Russel thought I was also yelling at him.

Now Russel is afraid to even go on a simple walk. I take him out and he gets in-front of me and jumps up to sort of hug me to get me to stop and go back inside. He gets as far a the end of the driveway before he just anchors in place and I can't convince him to go any further.

My older dog had actually been in a crashes with me, but he is not nearly as sensitive as Russel. He is a cattle dog and I suppose he's just more of a rough and tumble dog where as Russel will act as if he's been punched in the face if you just yell at him.

Also fuck 99% of pit-bull owners.
>>
I've always found the "dog riding next to bike with a leash" cringe-worthy. Seeing it always make me angry. It's like you're forcing them to run and I always hear about accidents like this happening. If you want your dog to run next to you, just don't use a leash. If the dog will run off, just do it in a fenced in area.
>>
tl;dr you are a shitty owner.
>>
>pushing your dog into a dangerous activity they evidently aren't comfortable with
>blames Pitbull owners

oh lordy
>>
> Implying any dog other than a pitbull wouldn't have also ran up to you barking
It's a shame the bad reputation pitbulls have
>>
>>2061635
>>2061633
>Butthurt Pitbull-IDF detected.

>>2061627
>>2061629
>>2061633
Babbies.
>>
>>2061643
>e-everyone else is w-wrong
>I know that I did everything right!
>>
>>2061643
>samefagging butthurt OP detected

>>2061635
but anon, if pitbulls didn't have the the reputation they do, who else could OP blame for their own selfishness and nearsightedness that led to their dog being traumatized?
>>
http://www.dutchbikebits.com/cycling-with-pets/springer-for-walking-dog
>>
>>2061635
It only matters which dog did.
>>
>>2061627
Sometimes you gotta do a mile on semi-busy roads to get to that six mile track where they can run beside you without their leash on. Safer to tether them on a short leash to the seat of your bike, I've found. Don't want accidents happening.
>>
>>2061633
>dangerous activity
Actually this is very good with dogs. They still have wolfish instincts and like to run in a "pack" or at least at there own speed. But, of course, /an jumps at any opportunity to be shitty little know-it-alls.
>>
>>2062070
Don't listen to the idiots in this thread, OP. You tried something very healthy and nice for your dog, went slow with it, and stopped when something bad happened. You're doing everything correctly.

Unfortunately, in the process, you learned your dog might not be cut out for this activity, and that's okay. Best thing you can do is try and reintroduce everything again like it's brand new, with lots of treats and praise, and go even slower when he starts showing signs of nervousness. He may never get over what happened, and you should be prepared for the possibility, but it's worth trying. Also look into Rescue Remedy, a nice supplement that can help reduce anxiety in dogs.
>>
>>2062070
>>2062072
>>2062156
given how many times fuckups like this happen, it is. it's a huge risk

>le wolf pack instincts
that's quite a reach anon
>>
File: natylee-murphee-pit-bull-attack.jpg (21KB, 475x355px) Image search: [Google]
natylee-murphee-pit-bull-attack.jpg
21KB, 475x355px
>>2061633
>>2061635
>pitbull apologist dyke who posts videos on facebook with "watch out this bloodthirsty pit could attack you with kisses" writen on them detected

its a nigger breed get over it.
pits are litteraly niggers of the dog world and should be colectivly euthanised alongside with niggers and their owners.

pic fucking related.
>>
File: image.jpg (65KB, 468x557px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
65KB, 468x557px
>>2062268
no, it's that OP is a moron who's getting upset about the other dog when it's something he should have fucking considered and not put his dog through

if you think that OPs dog would have acted differently if it was any other dog of the same size coming up to him, you're a moron. he's just looking for a scapegoat, and saying the dog was a pitbull is an easy target. hell, I wouldn't be surprised if he's like most people and can't identify a pit to save his life

>pic related
your point? pic of kid mauled by lab. the dog wasn't doing anything dangerous, barking usually means excitement or boredom, not aggression

OPs a faggot for trying to make excuses for traumatizing his dog
>>
>>2062268
That girl probly has retard parents that didn't teach her how to pet a dog
>>
I've worked in a veterinary setting for 10 years and not once had an incident of an accident from a dog exercising on a bike with their owner.

I have seen dogs brought in that weren't on a leash that got distracted by another dog or got frightened and they bolted away from the owner into the street or got in a fight with another dog.

>You're forcing him, stahp!

Isn't any training coercion into making them want to do something we want them to do?

We forced the evolution of the dog, come on.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (12KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
12KB, 480x360px
>>2062268
>>
Oh lord, this thread is everything about /an/ I hate
>but its 4chan lolz gotta troll hard

>2062156
This, don't listen to any of the other fucktard bugguy wannabe's here
>>
>>2063796
>>2062156
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.