[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Shine some knowledge upon me

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

File: 100913-American-Pit-Bull-image1.jpg (23KB, 400x480px) Image search: [Google]
100913-American-Pit-Bull-image1.jpg
23KB, 400x480px
So, I am going to buy an American Pitbull solely for house guarding, and you know, Fun...
Any Piece of Advice?
>>
>>2050734
Actually do your research instead of expecting us to tell you everything, dipshit.
There's better dogs for guarding. Especially when you probably just planned to buy some shit BYB "exotic xxx muscle guard pitbull terrier"
>>
Don't mutilate their ears. It's not necessary at all.
>>
>>2050785
Don't mutilate any dogs. Don't buy from anyone who crops or docks.
I think docking can be done when necessary, but not without anesthesia on a week old puppy with a pair of scissors. It should be done as an adult with anesthesia.
>>
>>2050734
>>
dont fuck with it.
>>
>>2050734
You must be a nigger with a crack house
>>
>>2050848
Darn right
>>
File: 130711_0000.jpg (164KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
130711_0000.jpg
164KB, 1280x960px
My gator pit is the most devoted dog we have
>>
>>2050734

Get a different dog. Wait, wait, hear me out a minute. I love pit bulls. I've had 2 that were sweet as honey as great guard dogs at the same time. The problem is 90% of people don't think that. There are many, many great dog breeds that make amazing home guardians. Wouldn't you rather have one that you didn't have to constantly defend or get dirty looks about?

I use Great Pyrenees myself. I have 2 that have literally left a fucking brown bear carcass just off my back porch. Sweet as honey to the family, though :)
>>
>>2054567

Oooh they're so sweet but they really need space, they're roamers.. It sounds like op lives in an *urban* environment.
>>
>>2054568

We do. And we have 2 Pyrs roaming the area outside to guard the alpacas. We have 1 other that we keep inside. She ... is just not a good guard. She lacks that stubborn independence needed to work away from humans that good Pyr cattle guards have. So she's the 'family dog' that we keep inside. The other 2 won't even come inside with 2 feet of snow on the ground. Different strokes for different folks.
>>
>>2054570

Well yea and you have bears so i assumed as much. Op, however...
>>
DON'T GET A DOG FOR HOUSE GUARDING. You will end up with a shitty stranger aggressive dog, people think a guard dog is some angry viscous dogs to scare people off.
Whats worse is pitts when are shitly trained are one of the worse breeds for violence.

You want a guard dog, drop some serious money and buy a trained one. A guard dog is suppose to be able to switch from normal to guard dog when commanded too. If you try to train a guard dog yourself you will end up with an aggressive dog.

And trust me OP, having an agressive dog who hates strangers is not a good thing. I had one who turned when he was older because I did not socialize him properly. It was the worst time in my life worrying he would bite someone.
Now I socialize all my dogs to adore strangers, if I ever got another stranger aggressive dog I'd put him down.

Get a pitt, they are good dogs when trained well and can be cuties. Socialize the hell out of it the moment you get it.
>>
>>2054576

Yeah, they normally don't get into it with bears. It's just a bunch of barking and posturing then the bear will run away. We see it happen about once a year. I'm sure there are times we don't see. Bears just see a couple of 200-pound dogs that aren't going to take their shit, and they get scared and leave.

If they're lucky, the girl isn't out with the other 2 dogs. She is just insane and doesn't know to posture before attacking. And when she goes, the other 2 go immediately to assist.

I lost 1 dog to a bear about 8 years ago. Died doing its job. Different dogs. But you know what? That bear didn't get anywhere near my livestock. That dog gave its life for them, and the 2 other dogs ran him off. Good dogs.

A Pyr's jaw PSI is about 900 - stronger than any other dog or wolf breed. And 3x stronger than a pit bull. They can literally snap a bear's spine in half. You don't fuck with a Great Pyr. Makes a pit bull look like a lap dog.
>>
>>2054579
Or you could just get a German Shepherd with a natural suspicion towards strangers
>>
>>2050734
Buy insurance to protect your belongings
Don't live in a shitty neighbourhood
Lock your doors at night
work out and learn how to fight

Don't buy some shitty beaner breed just to look like the toughest guy on the block. Get a nice friendly dog who will live more than 5 years
>>
>>2054576
>>2054568
Stop talking about yourself in the third person you fucking scumbag
>>
>>2054598
Yeah great idea an badly trained German Shepherd without proper socialization. Surely a breed known for being suspicious toward strangers won't end up being a piece of shit.
Op is a novice dog owner.

OP get an Irish Wolfhound.
>>
>>2054618
I meant a socialized gsd
>>
File: Snapchat-5797155324338441504.jpg (1MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-5797155324338441504.jpg
1MB, 1080x1920px
Get a pitbull but don't crop/dock the cunt that's just unnecessary and cruel. They're about the coolest dogs out

>>2054568
This guy. my boy loves to roam. He's my farm dog so he gets free reign to run around the paddocks when I'm home and comes with me to work. smart dogs man. they love to chew also

pic related is my dog. pitbull x lab
>>
>>2054635
OP wants a guard dog, a socialized gsd will not do what he wants.
>>
>>2054639
A guard dog protects the owner from threats. German shepherds do that instinctively. I think you're thinking of attack dog, in which case you'd be right.
>>
Take any guardian breed and raise them as a family dog. They will protect your home and family perfectly. You don't need some damn terminator that will attack the UPS guy. And believe me, they will. A normal dog will be suspicious of anyone showing up that isn't accompanied by you. A guardian breed will take that suspicious to the next level, but not dangerously so.
>>
>>2054668
Yes but define a guard dog, a lot of people think they have guard dogs which are just aggressive dogs.
>>
>>2054668
the problem with guard dogs is that they walk an extremely fine line between human aggressive and not. and it's usually too late by the time you realize it.

and people wonder why dogs like pitbulls and GSDs are responsible for so many attacks. the "guard dog" meme needs to die

most dogs you have a good relationship will bark at unfamiliar people until you teach them a command to stop. if you need more "protection" from a dog than that, you're playing with fire and should just buy a gun. at least you can 100% control that
>>
>>2050734
>Any Piece of Advice?

Stop making troll threads for one.

Two, you want a dog smart enough to realize when something is a threat. My suggestion is to contact these guys:

https://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=mDaMdkrDXKE

Some other anon posted them, and they seem to have their shit together. Might cost ya a bit more, but if you're already shelling out the money for a 'house guarding dog', might as well get it right the first time instead of wasting even more money on vet bills from shitty breeding, or fines when the dog snaps and bites someone that it thought was threatening. Or it it escapes your yard somehow and kills someone.
>>
>>2050734
Train him up good by running him. Cause when you pit him against another pit bull You can just about bet your ass that the other guys got his well conditioned.
>>
Get an American Bulldog instead
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.