[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

help me to choose a pet im looking for a pet to be my companion.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 2

File: ThisOrThat_CatDog.jpg (161KB, 526x364px) Image search: [Google]
ThisOrThat_CatDog.jpg
161KB, 526x364px
help me to choose a pet

im looking for a pet to be my companion. low maintenance as it can get. good health. affectionate, cuddly and playful but is ok when im silent. not attention seeking or too curious. is not noisy. is submissive to my simple commands i.e not a stubborn pain in the ass but it doesnt need to learn anything more than that. apartment life. so would love a bigger dog but no much space and they sound more high maintenance. i did research and quizzes etc. considering cats now mostly but still not sure.
also hypoallergenic.

breeds im considering now:

cats:
1. burmese cate
2. devon rex or russian blue

dogs:
yorkie poo, poodle, cavalier king charles spaniel, and likewise smaller dogs with bigger dog personality

any kind of advice is appreciated
>>
As long as the dog's trained well:

>affectionate
>cuddly
>playful
>can rest
>is obedient
Dog.

Cats are for introverted people, though.
Generally speaking.
>>
>>2041837
affectionate introvert here. normally am a dog person but might not be able to give it needed external stimulation. thats why considering cats. obedient as in not going against my will, but i dont expect it to do anything more. dont need much playfulness either
>>
then let me ask for breed advice from cats AND dogs. then i can decide which to go with later. what you guys think about burmese, devon rex and russian blue?
>>
>>2041835
All dogs are high maintenance.
Just get a cat.
>>
no affectionate pets are low maintence, and all affectionate animals will seek attention on some level

you need more realistic expectations
>>
>>2041885
yea thats what im thinkin. thats why im also askin for advice on breeds, and also dog breeds too, just in case

>>2041890
i gotta tell my perfection, so from there we can lower it to reality till it matches with it
>>
>>2041901
what about a retired greyhound? They're fucking chill, they don't need a lot of exercise and they love just hanging out with you on the couch.
>>
>>2041957
retired? idk what u mean with that but greyhounds? would they be ok with livin in a apartment flat without much exercise?
>>
>>2041835
I don't suggest you get a pet at all.
You are looking for something that doesn't exist.
>>
>>2041963
everything have a solution mate. you just gotta believe in it!
>>
>>2041962
retired as in greyhounds that are bred for racing and then dumped in a shelter once they're done (After a few years usually.) It's a huge problem and shelters are often full of them, they tend to be already trained since they were bred to race so they are obedient, they've already had their "hyper" phase in life so they don't need a huge amount of exercise and they tend to have pretty good temperaments. Look up some greyhound rescues in your area and speak to them about what you want, they'll be able to tell you if they think they have a dog suited for you or not.

http://www.retiredgreyhounds.co.uk/Greyhounds-as-Pets/

http://www.battersea.org.uk/apex/webbreed?breedId=17&pageId=040-dogbreed

http://www.dfordog.co.uk/blog/greyhounds-make-great-pets.html

http://www.netmums.com/coffeehouse/house-garden-194/garden-plants-animals-610/304282-retired-greyhounds-all.html
>>
>>2041969
got it. thanks for explanation and links mate. written on my list.
>>
>>2041971
No problem, good luck dude
>>
>>2041969
Are they all pet/companion material though?
>>
>>2041978
No not all of them are which is why I told OP to call some local rescues and ask them, they know their dogs better than shelters and will be able to point him in the right direction.
>>
>getting a cat breed

you're an idiot
>>
>>2041993
why
>>
Cats dude, basically calm dogs. They roll around, want to be pet, and like to play, shit in their own toilet, excercise themselves
>>
>>2041846

It doesn't sound like you really need a cat breed. Different story if you actually have your heart set on a Russian Blue or something, but it doesn't sound like you want one enough to justify paying hundreds and hundreds for it. Nearly 100% of cats out there are not from a recognized breed, so if you literally just want a nice, cuddly cat that will be happy in an apartment and not cause any trouble, you may as well meet a couple of dozen shelter cats and see which one you click with. Purebreds are also typically bought as kittens, which means you're not going to get a quiet, calm, low-maintenance cat that keeps out of trouble, as kittens tend to be much more hyperactive, loud and trouble-seeking than adult cats.
>>
i'm leaning towards cat BUT
your expectations/requirements are so high and you seem to have no real knowledge of how animals actually work

i feel like this is going to end with you getting an animal and, because you won't know how to train it, condition it, or treat it to get the behaviors you want out of it, you'll be unhappy regardless. you need to do some independent research on animal behavior and operant conditioning if you're really expecting to own the kind of pet you describe.

whatever you end up getting, i'd recommend an adult animal from a rescue or shelter so you don't have to deal with a puppy/kitten phase. something whose personality is established and known.
>>
>>2042016
So from everything I read, adult cats in shelters are basically autistic kids. How long does it take them to warm up to a new home and family? Do they all do or remain aloof, forever ruined?
Not OP.
>>
>>2042021

They're cats. Regardless of where they come from, cats tend to spend the first few days in a new home hiding under a piece of furniture and running away from you. This isn't because they are broken, traumatised shells ruined by the unimaginable horrors they have suffered, it's because they are cats. Cats simply don't like unfamiliarity and they find comfort in hiding and observing until they understand where they are and who you are, and that's when they're happy to come out and get to know their owner. If this is an issue, cats probably aren't for you.
>>
>>2042021
>Do they all do or remain aloof, forever ruined?
you sound like you believe every animal myth you hear
>>
>>2042024
basically cats know how to lurk before posting
>>
A dog is superior to a cat but the drowned rats emulating dogs you listed are far worse than any cat.
>>
>>2041901

your perfection makes it sound like you won't be content with any pet
>>
There's no such thing as a low maintenance dog
Go to a shelter and find a relaxed adult cat
>>
>>2042058
/thread
>>
>>2041835
Russian blue are awesome, get one if money is of no importance.
Otherwise get a cute shelter cat
>>
>>2041835
>cat
>pukes all over
>fights with other cats regularly
>might decide to start pissing on things to "mark" them as territory
>meowing in middle of night
>meowing at you in general
>constantly trying to get on your lap
>constantly trying to get food from you while you're eating
>will sometimes shit on the floor because of digestive tract problems or because it's mad at other cats
>will attack you for no reason
>good choice if you're lazy and irresponsible

dog
>takes on personality of owner
>always happy when you walk in the door
>will eat anything
>highly trainable thanks to pack mentality, including when and when not to bark.
>you have to leave the house to walk a dog if you don't have a back yard.
>bad choice if you have poor self control or are irresponsible, or are high tension.
>>
>>2042076
also
>cats sharpen their claws on anything
>if you catch them doing something they're not supposed to and yell at them for it, they'll just do a better job of gauging when you're not looking and do it anyway
>toxoplasmosis
>>
>>2042076
>>2042077
>biased descriptions of cherry picked behaviors

try harder
>>
You are their companion, you should not get any animal to for fill your need for companionship/friendship!
If you still feel you could provide everything an animal needs a rescue of either cat or dog is defiantly the best!
>>
>>2042013
that makes me want a cat

>>2042016
im into breeds because i can predict its personality. im good with kitten phase. im an easily annoyed perfectionist and lazy, which is the source of problems. so i look for specific characteristics. how the pet looks like doesnt matter. money neither.

>>2042020
>your expectations/requirements are so high and you seem to have no real knowledge of how animals actually work
>i feel like this is going to end with you getting an animal and, because you won't know how to train it, condition it, or treat it to get the behaviors you want out of it, you'll be unhappy regardless.
sounds accurate. tryin to avoid that.

>>2042030
im open to new suggestions.

>>2042056
lel. think positive dude.

>>2042058
nah

>>2042071
can u guys stop advertising shelter animals

>>2042076
>>2042077
that makes me want to choose the dog desu
>>
>>2042091
okay
>anal gland impaction
>that tail shake thing the female ones do either means they're happy to see you or they're sprinkling piss all over
>really smelly shits
>>
>>2042111
also
>picking up sadistic behaviors like only using the litter box when you're making food, or jumping up on your bed and immediately jumping down every ten minutes when trying to sleep.
>demanding canned cat food at 3 am
>>
>>2042104
if you do decide on a cat, get a shorthair. Some longhairs make a fucking mess and need to be brushed regularly and occasionally washed. Be sure to do these things when they're kittens and defenseless or else when they get older they'll attack you if you try.
>>
>>2042099
luv u <3

>>2042111
>>2042114
this is gettin nasty. cats 0 - dogs 2

>>2042117
yea if u look at my choices, all short hairs
>>
>>2042123
don't listen to that dipshit about rescue animals, they're often neurotic and come with quirks. Like barking at every small noise, for example, or getting anxious and ripping up all of your belongings while you've gone to the store for 15 minutes because they were left abandoned once, or snapping and mauling you because despite your good treatment, their past owner ptsd triggers and for that moment they've decided that all humans are scum, or maybe they were loose in the city for a while or were in a holding pen with a lot of other dogs and were raped and because of this developed a rabid hatred of other dogs which creates all sorts of fun drama at the park.

puppies are the best because you can mold them how you want from their most formative years.

cats are in the same boat, if they're not used to being handled nicely or being groomed, they'll fight you on it and it can be harder than if you just raised one from a kitten.

That's not saying you can't get lucky with a rescue , but only get one if you understand that you're potentially getting damaged goods and all bets are off. It's for this reason that I feel that negligent pet owners should be punished far harder than they are.
>>
>>2042077
>>if you catch them doing something they're not supposed to and yell at them for it, they'll just do a better job of gauging when you're not looking and do it anyway
m8, dogs do the exact same.
Yelling at a dog only teaches them not to do it in front of you, not to not do it at all.
>>
>>2042133
your dogs must not respect you and recognize you as the leader, then. Congrats on being a pussy bitch.
>>
>>2042104

that is positive thinking, i'm positive neither animal would be right for you
>>
>>2042132
calm down mate, nobody is getting used goods.

>>2042133
>dogs do the exact same
this is getting annoying
>>
>>2042136
we need constructive thinkin here. how about a monkey? or fox?

jokin tho. i mean if u cant come up with a better pet, i will have to go with cats or dogs. and if i end up disappointed, the agony of the pet will be on you. so be careful with what you playin mate. its not a game. it is fire.
>>
>>2042135
Hot bate mate.
>>
>>2042143

i don't think an affectionate pet is for you, as in any mammal or bird won't work out and won't be taken care of properly
>>
>>2042147
you are breakin my heart now.
>>
>>2042149

you seem too lazy and uninterested in the demands an affectionate animal would make, and calling yourself a perfectionist immediately makes it sound like something that isn't self contained in a tank 24/7 will do something you aren't going to like
>>
>>2042151
>something that isn't self contained in a tank 24/7 will do something you aren't going to like
that made me laugh. you are funny. how about i pet you instead?
>>
>>2042132

You have literally no fucking clue what you're talking about. Rescued dogs are some of the best I've ever seen. Only ever saw one with "quirks" and that was very easily dealt with over time.
>>
>>2042152

i'd also make demands you won't like
>>
>>2042076
>>2042077
>>2042111
>>2042114
you can do the exact same thing backwards

dogs
>need fuckton of exercise
>chewing/destroying things
>constantly have to be taken out to shit/piss
>can take forever to potty train
>need to heavily socialize to keep from becoming potentially dangerous
>can be sued if dog bites someone
>barking
>lots of training
>separation anxiety
>issues finding place to live
>scoot their asses on your carpet
>cost to incense
>cost more to fix

cats
>won't destroy toys
>not as demanding
>less expensive
>quieter
>less exercise
>self grooming
>potty train themselves
>lower cost to fix

you're an idiot

>>2042104
and another reason people are suggesting rescues is that you're an idiot who wouldn't have a decent breeder look twice at you, so you'll resort to a shitty craigslist BYB cat that you think is a certain breed but really isn't

plus you're putting a ridiculous amount of emphasis on thinking a certain breed means the cat will turn out a certain way. breed standards for temperament are idealist as fuck and still require a lot of training. this is why even most purebred animals from top notch breeding lines would never make it to a show ring, they don't meet all those "breed standards" you read about

>>2042132
>I like making biased claims
>>
>>2042156
*license
>>
>>2042154
oh please, do.

>>2042156
sounds reasonable

anyways everyone, im out. thanks and take care. i will figure somethings out.
>>
>>2042160

i'll ask you for attention when you don't feel like giving me any
>>
>>2042168
you are already doin it
>>
>>2042173

fair point
>>
>>2042173

already not giving me proper attention, you're terrible at this
>>
File: 1450656378385.jpg (225KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
1450656378385.jpg
225KB, 700x700px
>59 replies
>no image
Impressive.
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.