[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is my bearded dragon dying?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (217KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
217KB, 960x720px
So about a month ago
Dec. 19 to be exact
I got my first reptile
Bearded dragon like the title says
Temperature gradient and humidity in tank are correct
Fresh food (reptile munchies omnivore mix and vitabugs crickets) and water every day
But it doesn't eat once a day like a juvenile should
And it refuses to get any protein when it does eat
In the month that ive had it, only ate one cricket, no meal worms or anything else
Used to eat the green beans and carrots but now only eats lettuce and banana
Which only happens like once every three days
Was pooping regularly until about maybe four days ago?
Pretty lethargic, spends a lot of time staring down its reflection or just laying flat in the middle of the tank with its feet bent under its legs the wrong way like it just collapsed there
Sometimes it looks like its dead (laying weirdly + no visible breathing) but then it moves when i pick it up to check
Called the pet store i got it from today for advice and all i got was "it could be shedding or constipated so try a tub of warm water"
Which I do once a week anyway for bath time
It's five inches, hasn't grown since i got it
Wat do /an/? Is this normal or do i prepare myself for it to die?
Will provide more information/pics if needed
>>
>>2038564
its limbs look abnormally scrawny, definitely not eating like it should. Might have intestinal blockage, what kind of substrate is in its tank? you didn't give it that bullshit calci-sand garbage the pet stores try to push on you, did you?
>>
>>2038715
Hell no I didnt
I know that stuff is wrong
Ive got some tightly woven carpet in there, and it never bites at it or anything
>>
Actually
I think the limbs of all the beardies at the pet store looked like that if I remember correctly
They werent in a very big tank either
Smaller than a ten gallon, about half
And there was about 10 in there
>>
>>2038827
>woow, why is my pet dying when I bought it sick from horrible conditions
>>
>>2038827
Either go to a vet or prepare for the inevitable
>>
>>2038829
I had no idea it wasnt healthy before
>>
>>2038829

>wow why do i feel the need to be such an asshole when someone is asking for help and advice to help a sick animal
>>
>>2038834
back to your reddit hugbox.
>>
>>2038847

>implying not being a piece of shit for no reason is the same as hugboxing someone
>>
>>2038866
Not that guy but to be fair, this is 4chan
>>
>>2038866
>for no reason
OP is the typical retard that doesn't read shit about the pet he is buying and ends up with a dead one. he deserves it
>>
>>2038827
Part of buying a pet at a pet store is checking for diseases. You didn't properly do your research before buying the animal.and now you're dealing with the consequences.
>>
>>2038872
>doesn't read shit
I spent a month reading shit before I got one
I do everything just like the reptile websites say, I've read a bunch bearded dragon forums
I'm pretty sure by this point I just bought it from a shit store
see >>2038827
>I deserve it
>implying my main concern isn't the well being of the animal here
>>
>>2038874
Aside from the too small enclosure I couldn't tell anything was wrong
I didn't sit there and observe how active these guys are and what they get fed
Nothing in any of my reading said to watch how skinny the limbs are or anything
Its middle didn't/doesn't look terribly unhealthy either
>>
>>2038877
your main concern is keeping your shitty toy lizard on the brink of life so you can abuse it for playing around
>>
>>2038902
Abuse? Are you retarded?
I don't just sit there and hold it all day, I know its unhealthy so I keep contact minimal (trying to get it to eat, baths)
Don't make dumbass assumptions
>>
>>2038906
>baths
my assumptions were correct, you are retarded
>>
>>2038907
Ive read from every source that you should bathe them at least once a week
Just a soak in warm water
Not soap or anything
>>
>>2038912
rofl
>>
>>2038564
I know nothing about reptiles and this looks very bad to me. What happened? Malnutrition?
>>
Better prepare for the inevitable, OP
Don't be TOO hard on yourself, he was probably already sick before you got him due to shitty conditions in the pet store you got him from.
>>
>>2038564
malnourishment brought on by internal parasites is what it looks like without a boots on the ground look at it

sorry OP
>>
a month? wow. that thing is looking like it won't really last, especially since they aren't nutrient-saving animals like leopard geckos who store their food in their tails.

I work at a petstore and the most common issue we have with any sick beardies is dehydration. tank mates can also steal their important UVB lighting (you do have a UVB light alongside your basking light, correct?) by sitting on top of them (this is not them cuddling, but an act of dominance) which can make them weaker as well. you were feeding them living crickets correct?

it's always risky buying a beardie when they're this small because any issues that can happen are very hard to pull through since baby beardies are very fragile.

my best suggestion besides the obvious trip to the vet would be to go buy some JumpStart or equivalent meal replacement powder/liquid to force feed them in the hopes of getting them some energy. you're doing the baths, which is good, don't listen to that idiot who laughed about that because beardies absolutely need it for hydration sometimes regardless of issues.

i'd be pissed if it's pet store negligence on their part-- they shouldn't have sold you a clearly ill reptile. we would be fired for doing the same.
>>
>>2039838
also if you can, try to contact the manager at the store you got it from to complain and see if you can get a refund / exchange. if it's a pet store that takes care of sick returns, it'd be a good idea. if you think they'll just let it die, i don't know, I wouldn't bring it back...hate to see the little guy suffering so. honestly it really seemed like you were doing all you could, so I wouldn't try to beat yourself so much about it.
>>
Its feet look bent as though it has MBD. Are you using a UVB bulb?
>>
>>2038969
Well I can't get it to eat nearly as much as it should
>>2039838
I do use a UVB light, and it only ate the first cricket
The others always walked on top of and bit the poor lizard
>>
>>2038871

no fucking way, it is? my mistake, that makes them completely not an asshole now that you've reminded me of where i am

oh wait...

>>2038872

so be a dick to him that'll teach him more than this experience already has
>>
>>2041564
>expecting people to be nice to you on 4chan just because

I think youre in the wrong place buckaroo
>>
>>2041586

everyone has been nice to me so far, not to op, but they have been to me so i'm not sure what you're talking about

i said anon was being a dick to op and that it was stupid to be an asshole over something like that, but that doesn't have anything to do with me or my expectations

this being 4chan doesn't make anon less of an asshole, he's still an asshole it's just socially acceptable here

thing is when you're an asshole on a website full of assholes, someone else might call you on it
>>
>>2038914
He's actually right. Bathing is very common practice when keeping some reptiles, namely turtles, bearded dragons and Leopard geckos
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.