[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dog General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 326
Thread images: 79

Last thread got archived
>>
I'm thinking about taking my Shih Tzu puppy our for a walk. I am worried about his paws being scraped and him being bitten by bugs and other dogs. Am I being too worried?
>>
>>2033110
>. Am I being too worried?
Yes.
>>
>>2033130
My dog's paws seem very soft though.
>>
>>2033140
You are being overprotective. It's a dog, they are pretty damn resilient. There are times when boots are needed to protect a dogs feet, but I highly doubt your puppy warrants them.
>>
>>2033145
But people need shoes.
What about dog abd bug bites?
>>
>>2033146
Now you are just being ignorant. People are not the same as dogs.
>bug bites
Are you for real? This is the kind of questions an immature preteen girl would ask. Fleas and ticks are bugs you should worry about, a responsible owner should have already have done research on this, and have a plan.
I have no problem answering questions about your dog, but please use common sense before you ask them.
>>
How Tight Should a Dog Collar Be

>loose enough for two fingers to fit
That doesn't cut it.

I can have the collar tight enough for my index and middle finger to fight very snugly,
or I can have the collar loose enough so I can slide my fingers in at ease.

Not to mention how large of a variation there is for hand sizes.

Sometimes, when my family fits the collar, it slips off with some resistance from the dog.
They use the "two finger" rule, too, but they might loosen it some more after that sometimes.

I need the collar tight enough as to make it so it doesn't slip off of the dog, but I'm not sure if that'd be too tight.
>>
>>2033159
You mentioned nothing about what your dog's head and neck look like. Would a martingale collar work better for you?
>>
>>2033150
Yeah by bugs I mean fleas and ticks. Sorry my English is not good.
So how to protect my dogs from them? Is heartworm protection enough?
>>
>>2033180
Heartworm preventive does nothing against fleas and ticks. Your vet should be able to give you a recommendation on what works best in your area.
For what it's worth, my dog is allergic to fleas. I use a topical application, Frontline ordered from overseas to be specific. My dog is quite a bit larger than yours, is predominantly a house dog, and much older. I also live in a seasonal climate so I have to adjust the dosage in the winter.
In my opinion for such a small puppy I would go with a simple flea collar if he is at a minimal risk of exposure.
>>
So, my puppy farts a lot.
Is this something I should be worried about?
She did that when we switched her from the breeder's Royal Canin to Orijen, and it passed. Now it's starting again, and yes, it's annoying, and it smells fucking rancid. Stools look fine, though. She eats, and plays and does everything like any other pup.
>>
>>2033196
I had a problem with foods heavy with lamb and rice. Made my dog fart non stop.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-01-08-09-39-12.png (2MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-08-09-39-12.png
2MB, 1080x1920px
>12 replies
>no pics
Dafuq mang
>>
What is /an/'s opinions on choke chains? Should they be used?
>>
>>2033205
Never.
Just teach your dog to walk on leash, it isn't that fucking hard.
>>
>>2033208
What about choke chains are correcting tools?
>>
>>2033209
What are you, redneck trash?
>>
>>2033213
That trainer guy Cesar milan uses it all the time
>>
>>2033214
Buy a choke collar. Hang yourself with it.
>>
>>2033216
Why the fuck are people so butthurt about choke chains?
>>
>>2033237
Because its like beating your baby every time it crawls or walk too fast away from you. You dont have to resort to that. Negative reinforcement and choke chains makes a fearful and or violent dog in the long run. Plus with the use of choke chains theres a possibility of throat damage and it wont teach them how to walk with a regular collar.
>>
>>2033190
Flea collars are proven to be dangerous and ineffective, especially towards puppies and kittens.
>>
>>2033247
Is this for prolonged use? The question was for walking the dog, I assumed temporarily usage was fine.
>>
>>2033250
So what to use then for fleas?
>>
>>2033145
>>2033146
This.

Look. I'm in a horrible shitty mood today because my 11 week old Husky is in the hospital for pulmonary edema - the cause of which is unknown.

However, get this. Last night I give my two dogs a bath, everything is fine. I towel them off and the big one goes into the garage to dry off and i set the little one down to dry off as well - all of a sudden she starts wheezing and coughing up blood.
45 mins later I'm at the pet hospital and they are telling me she probably won't make it over night - however, it's now 13 hours later and they are saying she has pulled through the worst part and that they are cautiously optimistic that she will get better.

DOGS ARE FUCKING RESILIENT - especially puppies.

Don't worry about your dog. If anything happens to it, it will get better.
>>
>>2033258
I'm really sorry for what your puppy is going through. I can't believe even a shitty breeder would be so unethical to sell a puppy like that to someone, raging pretty hard.
>>
>>2033260
I've had her for a week.

I don't think it was the breeders fault. My puppy has an older housemate she plays with and the Vet seems to think that either the puppy chewwed on an electrical cord, aspirated some of her own salaiva after panting or had her collar tugged on by the older dog by accident.

She said it's a fairly common occurrence in this type of situation where there is an older larger puppy and they live together. However, the cause for the edema is still unknown because I didn't witness anything happen, i'm just happy to know that she seems like she is going to be okay.
>>
>>2033262
>electrical cord
Why do some puppies do it and some never? I've seen a bunch never ever touching electrical cords, it's like most puppies don't even see them and assume they're part of the ground/walls.
>>
>>2033265
I don't know.

The older puppy never once touched a cord or anything that I didn't place in front of her as food or a toy.

This younger one though, first day home. She waltzs on over to the XBox controllers and pulls one off the shelf and starts munching on the cord.

So no idea.
>>
My dog gets Hartguard once a month. I know it prevents heartworm, but does it kill all the other worms? Like does she still need to be wormed occasionally or does this take care of everything?
>>
>>2033300
If your dog has something like roundworms she needs to have medication specifically for that.

It's not very expensive maybe $25 or so for the medication.
>>
>>2033214
>Cesar Milan

This is a troll.

Do not feed him.
>>
>>2033196
Please help, it's fucking horrible.
>>
>>2033305
I haven't seen any worms, I was just wondering I need to worm her regularly or if the Hartgard does that.
>>
>>2033380
heartgard prevents only heartworms.

however, unless you live in an area with a lot of nasty parasites and your dog regularly eats nasty shit or drinks stagnant water, you shouldn't really have to deworm her past her puppyhood. why would a dog spontaneously get worms without being exposed to them?
>>
postan
>>
>>2033376
Sometimes it's due to overfeeding
>>
>>2033376
My newest pup >>2033258 farted a lot when I first got her and let me tell you they were some fucking rancid farts. - turns out she had roundworms and I had to deworm her at her first vet visit - they seem to be gone now and she doesn't have gas anymore but as you can see from my previous post... that's the least of my worries right now.

Coming up on 18 hours and the crackling in her breathing has stopped and she slept through the night... i want to be optimistic and say that she will be 100% okay but there is no way to be sure - doggos are pretty tough and she is no exception.
>>
>>2033408
She's been dewormed, though. The breeder had dewormed her before I got her, and then once a month.
Just actually realised we had to switch deworming stuff brand just today, huh. Wonder if that's linked because holy shit, she doesn't fucking stop.
>>
File: 20151231_203837.jpg (260KB, 1239x697px) Image search: [Google]
20151231_203837.jpg
260KB, 1239x697px
>>2033408
>>2033262
>>2033258
Pic related is baby doggo and big baby doggo 11 weeks and roughly 8 months respectively.

will my puppy be okay /an/ ?
>>
>>2033410
Like other anons have said it could be overfeeding but it also could just be the type of food you feed her as well.
>>
File: img00001.jpg (2MB, 3059x2969px) Image search: [Google]
img00001.jpg
2MB, 3059x2969px
>>2033265
Similar color cord+wall perhaps? Blends it right in
>>2033410
Id say either food sensitivity, overfeeding or ate grass recently.
My pupper seems to be gluten sensitive and could eat a whole 5 lb bag in minutes and because grass moves about with the slightest wind she will nom on it.
Any of those three things turns the cutesy spawn of satan into a fart producing spawn of satan.

Try feeding boiled rice and chicken for a day see if still rancid. And a walk might help. If nothing the gases get released into atmosphere instead of your home.
>>
>>2033415
It's Orijen Large Puppy, the switch wasn't recent, and we haven't increased her daily ration in some time. (She's already a bit over their recommendations and she doesn't ask for more or usually go for other pets' food.)
And shit I also remembered this morning when I took her to grandma's, she jumped at the cat's food and ate a bunch before I took it away, fuck. IIRC this shit gives my uncle's dog diarrhea everytime she eats it.

And holy fuck the smell and cadence, she asked to go out not long ago, we went, and even in the great outside I could smell it everygoddamntime. Definitely not sleeping in my room tonight. Although it was funny when we started jogging a bit, she farted at every fucking step she took.

>>2033427
OUTSIDE DOESN'T HELP. IT DOESN'T ANON. IT DOES NOT. THE SMELL FOLLOWS HER.
Definitely didn't eat grass, too. I watch over her like a helicopter mom outside and pull her away anytime she opens her mouth after ignoring a "leave it".

Guess it's just new dewormer+cat food. We'll see tomorrow when she's digested some of it.
>>
>>2033437
Either way I hope your doggo is okay... :( just in a shitty mood since one of mine is in the ER on constant oxygen.
>>
>>2033437
Cat food most likely high protein and high fat.

And leave the thing to explore dogs are generally hardy. Of course if its hazardous step in. Feel like letting them explore with their mouth strengthens their GI system just like occasional pooch appropriate table scraps.
>>
I'll be a first time dog owner on February 11th.
I'm getting a labrador puppy from a breeder, he'll be 8 weeks old.
Any advices/tips for me, given that I currently have a 11 years old female sterilised cat ?

My dad already bought a crate, I read quite a lot about it. I'm planning on buying a kong, and maybe feed him most of his daily food using a kong wobbler, I've read all kinds of good things about them
>>
File: pPETNA-5212281_main_enh[1].jpg (52KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
pPETNA-5212281_main_enh[1].jpg
52KB, 600x600px
>>2033196
could be allergic to something in orijen. sometimes it only manifests in the form of gastrointestinal distress.

if you're sure it's not allergies, and she's also been dewormed recently (so you know it's not giardia or coccidia), try supplementing with a probiotic. I use this and my dog loves it probably more than his normal treats.
>>
So /an/ lads, family gave me a puppy shih tzu, how do i deal with the little guy?
>>
File: croc.gif (413KB, 500x350px) Image search: [Google]
croc.gif
413KB, 500x350px
>>2033526
Here you go:
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/supplies.htm
>>
>>2033680
Thanks m8
>>
File: cesar-millan.jpg (78KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
cesar-millan.jpg
78KB, 600x400px
>>2033526
By watching Cesar Millan on YouTube when you have a problem.
>>
How to protect my dogs from fleas? Should I use a flea collar?
>>
File: pitbulls.jpg (286KB, 1411x993px) Image search: [Google]
pitbulls.jpg
286KB, 1411x993px
Look at these adorable pit bulls sleeping in a pile.
>>
How do i get over the fear of dogs
>>
>>2033719
By meeting some nice dogs who are well mannered?
>>
Why does my dog only lie down when I hold a treat?

Also, how to get my dog to roll over? I got him in a down position and mived the treat over his shoulder as shown in Youtube videos but he just sits. When I try to push him into a roll over position, he just bit my other hand.
>>
>>2033774
You should work on bite inhibition first of he bites you for minor things like that.
>>
>>2033775
How to do this?
>>
How are these for the first 4 ingredients of a dog food? My parents will be getting a dog soon and I want to point then to the right food for their new pup.

Beef meal, brewer's rice, pork meal, lamb meal
>>
>>2033821
Equal parts of each?
>>
>>2033821
>Brewers rice
No

>>2033822
Ranked from most-less
>>
File: 12400479.jpg (114KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
12400479.jpg
114KB, 720x960px
Don't usually come to this board but feel like dumping some pics I took at a dog walk I went on today
>>
File: 12510480.jpg (175KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
12510480.jpg
175KB, 720x960px
>>
File: 10353.jpg (125KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
10353.jpg
125KB, 720x960px
husky lab cross
>>
File: 12524208.jpg (149KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
12524208.jpg
149KB, 720x960px
>>
File: 12512607.jpg (192KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
12512607.jpg
192KB, 720x960px
>>
File: 103388.jpg (95KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
103388.jpg
95KB, 720x960px
>>
>>2033822
No. That's the order they were listed. There's more to follow but the first few are obviously the most important since they're the largest part.
>>
>>2033831
Why? It it worse that corn or wheat? Especially if 3 out of the 4 main ingredients are meat-based.
>>
Hey /an/, how do I get rid of a dog without being scrutinized by society? He's barking too loud and is completely getting on my fucking nerves. I'm thinking of breaking his legs and leaving him somewhere in the woods.
>>
File: image.png (1MB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1MB, 640x1136px
Here's my dog
>>
>Dog destroys her puppy toys as she grows up.
>Buy new toys.
>Scared of squeaky ball.
Maybe I should have bought her squeaky toys when she was smaller.
>>
Do you have packs of wild dogs where you live, /an/? Specifically in cities I mean.
Do they pose a threat? How is the situation where you're at?
>>
Puppy do eventually stop chewing madly, right ?
My pup is 5 months and a half, she lost all her baby teeth and had them replaced by (still growing slowly I think?) adult teeth. She destroys absolutely every toy I give her, even the chewing and teething toys, fuck. Please tell me it will stop some day.
I'm nearly tempted to buy cheap furniture and let her chew on that.
>>
>>2033108
Two questions

1) My mum found my puppy chewing a dead cane toad this morning. They're supposed to be extremely poisonous. Sadly she only told me later that night and even then i have not noticed any symptoms (which normally show immediately after contact with a cane toad). Is my pup fine?

2) Every time i try take him on walks, we get about 15 meters out before he decides to just plop on the grass and lay there. Only time he'll start walking properly is if we walk in the direction of home, other times i'm forced to slightly drag him in the direction i want to go.
>>
>>2033260
Why are fags like you so quick to scream "byb/shitty breeder!" at very given opportunity?
>>
File: Rottweiler-5.jpg (196KB, 1141x803px) Image search: [Google]
Rottweiler-5.jpg
196KB, 1141x803px
I like rottweilers. What do you think of them?
>>
whats the difference between male and female dogs other that people will assume I fuck it when it's female ?
>>
>>2034041
Fine dogs, but they got a bad rep due to shitty owners.

We had a doberman named Sira (prounounced Sai-ra) when I was young, so the first time I saw a rottweiler as a kid I told my mom: "Look, that's Sira if she went to the gym!"
>>
>>2034041
They die too young.
>>
>>2033874
This is a pretty troll-resistant board I see, gj
>>
>>2034292
Not really, that bait was just blatantly obvious.
>>
>>2034323
ah well. /an/ still best board for a reason.
Continue with dog awesomeness.
>>
File: IMAG0606.jpg (2MB, 1520x2688px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0606.jpg
2MB, 1520x2688px
>>52335883

This is my dog, she wants that peanut butter.
>>
File: Hund.jpg (99KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
Hund.jpg
99KB, 540x960px
>>2033108
r8/8 no h8
>>
>Dad out of work for a year
>Has wanted a dog for a while and is now bored as fuck because he doesn't know what to do with himself and doesn't do anything to try improving himself
>Fat sister has an untrained Miniature Schnauzer that is never walked and honestly, is never given any proper stimulation outside of her kids screaming in its face, only gets minimal attention, etc
>He looks at sister as a model pet owner. She also encourages him to get dog.
>His idea of going for a walk is pushing nephew back and forth on the block in front of his house for fifteen minutes.
>Cat that lived there a few years ago just kept losing weight until he didn't want to eat anymore and died.
>When he watches nieces or nephews, he just sits kid in front of tv and ignores them until they get hungry or need to use the restroom
>Unless it's my mom or me / other sister without kids, you can do no wrong, huge pushover
>He messages me a picture of a Chihuahua puppy some backyard breeder offered him.
>Him getting the dog is basically a done deal.
>He constantly complains about mess and not having enough money.
>Ask about training the dog and general living costs of a dog
>Says he'll just wait and see
>Says he's been paying everything just fine without a job because of unemployment and social security
>Pretty much admits that he won't give a fuck about the dog's health
>Is the kind of person that would rather let dog slowly rot away than admit he's wrong and give it to a shelter

Even if I wanted help out, he's the kind of person that can't be wrong. He is going to ruin my mom's house.
>>
>>2034441
My dad will retire in 2 or 3 years and wants to get two Dackels after our 11 yo dog >>2034419 is dead.
He's one of the most caring guys ever tho
>>
>>2034457
When I was in middle school, we kept a shih tzu my sister didn't want anymore for a month. The poor thing ended up covered in fleas. I think she had to be shaved.
>>
>>2034466
My best friend's sister has a Shiba Inu meme dog, and whenever I visit them he's always following me around.
Jap dogs have ADHD but they're adorable.
>>
Is it possible for a 1 year old female German Shepherd to die of stage-5 lymphoma?
>>
>>2034502
GSD are kind of known for bad genes and inbreeding somewhere down the lines. There are breeders out there that might have created an absolutely fucked GSD by not properly breeding.
I wouldn't be surprised, so I'd say it's possible.
>>
>>2034504
I saw it on facebook and it just seems way too young for something so bad to happen. But if that's the case, then that's just terrible
>>
>>2033411
What kind of doggo is big baby?
>>
My dog loved to hump his blanket anf toys. How do I get him to stop?
>>
File: IMG-20151219-WA0007.jpg (410KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20151219-WA0007.jpg
410KB, 1600x900px
>>2033919
They stop around nine months old.
I know how you feel anon. My lab would not leave any survivors when she was a puppy. Shoes, the furniture, the fucking plastic pipes of the sink, everything.
She stoped around 10 months old and is almont 2yrs old now.
She's great now, some food stealing but we are working on that.
>>
>>2034035
1) you know the drill, anon, take him to the vet.
2) what breed of dog is he? maybe he's just lazy
>>
>>2034565
Burn blanket anf toys.
>>
Anyone ever get the feeling their dog understands more than they let on?

>falling asleep watching TV with dog
>TV show says that sleeping with a dog brings the risk of contracting bubonic plague
>huh
>look at dog
>she's on her back by my legs
>waves a hand dismissively at me
>okay then
>go back to snoozing
>>
>>2034593
1) I called them up and they said he should be fine if it's been a whole day (now 2) and he hasn't shown anything out of the ordinary. Still a bit worried though, especially as to how a dead toad got in my yard during the day.

2)
>Maybe he's just lazy
Oh hell no. He's a terrier. I think he's just a little scared of walks. What do?
>>
>>2034607
was he always like that? does he get excited when he knows he goes for a walk?
>>
>>2034611
Yeah, I haven't been walking him long, he only got his last round of shots a few weeks ago. I guess you could say he's still getting the hang of it?
>>
>>2034599
eh, they can read body language and sense the general feeling of a situation pretty well. I have a story, though:

>mom hates my childhood dog because he pees in the house and never truly learned otherwise (long story short, they expected 4-5 year-old me to train the dog and used puppy pads)
>has hated him all his life, creating a cycle of "leave-the-dog-outside-all-day" to "revenge-peeing-for-leaving-me-outside-all-day"
>one day we pick him up from boarding after a long trip
>driving home
>mom is on her usual rant about how much she can't stand this dog, he's lucky we even picked him up instead of just abandoning him instead, etc. (my mom is all bark and no bite)
>dog lets out a little whine and lays his head down on my lap sadly
>just then on the radio station she was listening to, some tidbit of news comes up saying something like, "scientists have determined in a new study that dogs really can understand what you are saying"
>mom apologizes to the dog
>>
>>2034614
ah, he's a puppy, they tire easy. just give him a walk around the block.
When he's older he'll need a lot more, so enjoy while it lasts.
>>
File: IMG_20141228_160951179_HDR.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20141228_160951179_HDR.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
Pic I took of her a couple of years ago for an /int/ thread
>>
>>2034591
>10 months
Fuck.
>>
>>2034599
My old dog understood when people were talking about her. If people were mocking her, she'd act bitchy, go lay on her couch and half-growl/half-sight. If they were saying nice things, she'd come sit straight and tall by them and waited for more some petting or biscuits.
>>
>>2034655
I wouldn't say he's not walking properly because he's tired, he's like a bloody bullet in my backyard, just non stop action.

I guess i'll wait it out, i read online that puppies go through "fearful" stages but they quickly grow out of it.
>>
>>2034680
yeah, sorry. try giving them some plastic bottles with kibble in it or tie some old t-shirts together. cowhide bones help too, get the biggest, they never last long.
>>
>>2034693
gotta love the zoomies.
try carrying him a while when you are outside, so he can get more used to it.
>>
>>2034672
It's beautiful, where at?
>>
>>2034614
Just got my pupper and she has tons of energy too. She was very fearful of the leash at first. I would put it on her, and she wouldn't even move a muscle. I began taking her to use the bathroom outside with it on and it helped greatly. Her first walk was about 10m and then she started pulling to go back.

You just have to give them tons of treats while you're on the walk. It only took my dog like 3 days to associate the leash with a good thing, and she turning 12 weeks in a couple days.
>>
>>2034768
Actually that's not too bad an idea. I'll give that a go. Thanks man.

>>2034796
Never thought of using treats, I'll give that a go too, ty
>>
>>2034790
Peak District, it's a national park in the UK
>>
Puppy has a broken coat i think? His fur is a mix of both long and short hairs, the longer ones being much lighter in colour. Because of this he looks slightly messy.

Anyways my question is, is it safe to have his coat trimmed at the dog groomers to make it look more neat? It was posted here that it's not good to cut the fur of dogs with double coats, but i'm not sure if that applies to him.
>>
File: IMG_0179.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0179.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>2034680
Its alright man, I know your pain.

I have a 16 week old BC and she goes absolutely crazy sometimes with the biting shit.

It'll all be worth it down the line. Just gotta be patient and diligent.
>>
>>2034680
>>2035184
Lol, my 16 week old pup's tooth went underneath my nail once. The cringe factor alone made me want to kill myself.
>>
>>2035194
mine was nibling at my hand once when i moved a bit and she broke my thumb nail in half. the fucking pain, man.
she looked really sorry, tho
>>
What does stripping do for a dog and how do you know your dog is the type that needs to be stripped/trimmed/groomed?
>>
>Looking through websites to help determine if my puppy is double or single coated
>Stumble upon this forum
>See a user posting as her dog, pretending to be her, as if the dog itself is using the computer

So much autism holy fuck
>>
Can golden retrievers have a soft fur? All the adult ones I met had a sorta rough fur, wasn't as pleasant as shorter coated dogs.
How often would I have to brush a golden to keep its cost soft and all nice?
>>
File: 1445888156913.gif (3MB, 286x258px) Image search: [Google]
1445888156913.gif
3MB, 286x258px
>>2035371
>BOL
>Bark
>Out
>Loud
holy fucking kek
>>
is it normal for dogs to growl a lot while playing? i have a 4 month old puppy and a 3 year old dog, and when they play they will bite eachother and growl a lot.
but they don't seem to actually be trying to hurt eachother and they'll stop and wag their tails in the middle of it and stuff.

is this normal?
>>
>>2035374
completely normal
>>
File: images.jpg (4KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
4KB, 300x168px
My terrier has really floppy ears, almost like a hanging piece of skin like in pic related.

Is this normal? Other terriers i've seen have perfectly shaped ears that fall forward.
>>
>>2035372
my golden mix is SUPER soft. it's like the first thing strangers comment on and the vet makes a big deal of it too.

I think it's more to do with what I feed him than how often I brush his coat. I do a furminator on him every couple of days, but I don't often go over him with the slicker brush. he eats taste of the wild pacific stream formula, and (most of the time) I feed him treats from some local company made with salmon, carrots, cranberries, and oats. he gets a probiotic pill twice daily and once a week I break open a little vitamin E pill and squirt it onto his paws for him to lick.
>>
>>2035379
>Researching about floppy ears
>Read up on taping your dogs ears
>See the testimonial of a couple who's dog had to wear a cone and it ended up shaping his ears ridiculously
>laugh at pic related for a good 10 minutes
>>
How can I stop my puppy barking at other dogs, and sometimes people? She's not aggressive or anything, just curious.

Every time she sees a dog, say max range of 20m she'll start barking, and it sets off my other dogs.
>>
>>2035400
redirect her attention
>>
>>2035400
Let her meet the dogs.
>>
My dog always acts like she's starving even though I feed her enough food. She was a street dog. Could that be why?
>>
>>2035561
Has your vet verified confirmed that your dog is a healthy weight and does not have worms? If so, then yeah, your pupper probably learned the street that looking sad and hungry = free hot dog. That combined with how dogs will instinctually do whatever they can to get food and will eat until they puke. And then eat more.
>>
>>2035565
She's a little overweight and no worms. I'm working on helping her to lose the weight, but she acts like im starving her. :|
>>
>>2035568
Instead of feeding her all at once try spreading her meals out throughout the day. You can use a portion for training sessions and put the rest in puzzle toys. Slowing her eating down can help trick her into believing she's eating more. Good on you for trying to get her to a healthy weight, don't give in
>>
File: image.png (2MB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
2MB, 750x1334px
>>2035568
You could try spreading her meals out into small snacks throughout the day instead of two big meals. Also try giving her a deer or elk antler to munch on. They last way longer than rawhide. And don't give your dog rawhide, it can cause stomach problems.

Pictured: my happy pupper with a split elk antler
>>
Can you train a dog to go potty in two different places?
>>
>>2035595
Well yeah...? My dog has a poop-garden, a poop-tree, a poop-park, a poop-fire hydrant, several poop-parking lots and she pisses about anywhere there's grass.
>>
Does it strengthen your bond with your dog when it sleeps close to you? When you pet it while it's playing with a toy?
>>
My dog likes to sit behind me on the couch. Like, literally he presses herself between my back and the couch and sleep there for a good while. It's awesome when it's cold because she keeps my back warm.

Is this normal, for a dog?
>>
File: 4L_wFah1vLZ.jpg (2MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
4L_wFah1vLZ.jpg
2MB, 2592x1936px
My dog is 7 years old, he's fairly healthy, he's still pretty active, he loves going on long walks and he can run around for 2 hours straight, but I've noticed a thing about him recently. His front legs seem to be angled inwards. The problem seems to be the joints right above his paws. He has not shown any signs of pain though. Am I just being paranoid, or does he have arthritis or something?

Tl;dr my dog's front legs are angled inwards. Wat do?

P.S. pic not related, you can't really see it in this pic.
>>
Took my Border Collie to a puppy socializing class.

There was only one other damn dog though, the other two that were supposed to show up never did.

Anyways, she's kind of going through the obnoxious 4 month old phase.

But GOD DAMN the dog expert there made my dog her bitch. Like full obedience. I'm jealous, but at least I learned some stuff about dealing with her bad behavior moments.

I recommend this shit to anyone with a puppy. An honest eye-opener. Especially since I'm a complete pussy when it comes to scolding.
>>
Oh gad i'm so proud of my doggy, love her so much.
We've been doing lots of long walks lately and it makes her paws really dry. Does someone know how to make them smoother?
>>
>>2035979
my pup used to sleep with me

lately he's been asking to go to his crate instead. he'll lie by my bedroom door and when I let him out he goes straight to the crate.

I guess he's a big boy now ):
>>
>>2035991
your dog likes tighter spaces and the feeling of being secured. some animals enjoy the pressure, that's why thundershirts work.

my cousins had a malamute that had been abused very badly. when he wasn't being hit, he was stuffed into a crate that was too small for his size.

for the rest of his life after he was rescued, his favorite thing to do was crawl under whoever's legs were resting on the ottoman so he'd be squeezed between the ottoman and the couch, securely tucked underneath the roof of their legs. a small space was where he felt safest.

he was a really good dog. I'm glad they were able to give him a good life.
>>
>>2036226
they have creams and lotions specifically made for dog paws, but you want to be careful with those because they can make your pupper's pads too soft and therefore too sensitive and delicate. unless the pads are cracked and/or bleeding, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

my boss said she sometimes breaks open a vitamin E pill and squirts it on her dog's paws. the dog licks it off the paws and the vitamin E works internally on skin and hair for the dog. I've been doing it too lately and have noticed my dog's pads aren't like sandpaper anymore, at least
>>
>>2036094
He will probably develop some kind of arthritis in the wrist, elbow, and/or shoulder when he gets older. Best thing to do is stick to low impact exercise like beach walking and swimming, and limit jumping and play on hard surfaces.

If you don't already, supplement your dog's diet with fish oil.
>>
>>2036441
Forgot to add, keep him lean.
>>
>>2036207
What obnoxious stuff do you expect at 4 months? Mine just turned 4 months yesterday.

Also, what was the trainer doing to get such full obedience?
>>
>watching dog for a while
>she barks at every living thing
>she barks and lunges at people
>one time get a friendly neighbor to help me see if dog is aggressive, as she's allowed kids and adults into house after a proper sniff
>dog barks and runs after neighbor outside
>gets to her
>dog doesn't even care anymore, asks for a pet or two and leaves her alone

What the fuck do I do about this? She likes people, as I've asked a few people now to pet her after she barked at them, and all meeting went successful, but how do I help break her of this nasty habit? I don't want to scare people.
>>
>feeding my puppy Kirkland Super Premium Puppy
>find out many Kirkland dog foods are manufactured by Diamond
>Super Premium Puppy isn't on the list of Kirkland dog food manufactured by Diamond, but still feel kinda iffy

What do I feed him now?

He's a 13-week old Lab.
>>
File: retriever leash.jpg (15KB, 330x248px) Image search: [Google]
retriever leash.jpg
15KB, 330x248px
what kind of leash do you use?

i think these are the most practical and best looking leashes.
>>
File: OP.jpg (21KB, 432x322px) Image search: [Google]
OP.jpg
21KB, 432x322px
>>2037024
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7adrJFil90E
>>
My dog is great and can't ask for much more fun her for only owning her a month. But 1 thing I can't seem to nip on the bud is her chasing shit like birds. We walk walk past some where they are having a morning graze and she pulls on the leash like crazy. I tell her to sit and she will but it doesn't seem to make her stop next time. If I have low patience I'll completely spin around and go the other way at a brisk speed so she doesn't get the satisfaction of even looking at them. The other morning when she was off leash she went off and chased some birds and it took 2 or 3 calls to get her back so I pinned her and told her off. There was a couple walking their toddler so I felt terrible. What can I do to stop her from doing this? Would pinning and really giving her a good growl get it through to her? She's 10 months and a blue heeler x cattle cross.

apart from that, in the month of owning her, her behaviour and obedience has gotten so good with consistent training, it's like she's a new dog. Will this just take time?

Tldr ; how to get dog to stop chasing shit (aka. Being a cattle dog)
>>
>>2037318
How does this work? I dun get it. I assume you can change how long the leash is?
>>
>>2037342
4 is the collar. you don't need an extra collar.
1,2, and 3 determine the size of the collar.
you just let loose or pull 2 in direction of 3 by hand and take the thing off the dog.
it is a fast way of capturing and releasing a dog
>>
>>2037312
What's wrong with Diamond? I feed my dog their food and she's doing great on it.
>>
So i just had my dogs coat stripped for the first time because my dad said he looked like a street dog with his fuzzy fur.

I now regret that decision because his fuzziness is what made him so cute, can anyone give me a general idea of how long it takes for dogs over/outer coat to fully grow out?
>>
>>2037483
it probably needed to be stripped, anon. when you let your dog's undercoat grow too much, it gets pretty uncomfortable for the dog.
>>
How bad is it if a pup is taken from his mother early ( like at 4 weeks) but still remains with his siblings? (Is it any different than if it is taken from the mother and siblings )
>>
>tfw wont be able to have a dog for 3 years until i'm out of school, and even then i probably wont be able to afford it
all my life ive just wanted a FUHYCKING DOG
>>
>>2037637
At 4 weeks, the puppy is still weaning from milk to kibble/meat (depending on the breeders choice diet) and I'm pretty sure can't have very solid foods at the time, as its jaw muscles are in high development at the time.
At 4 weeks, the puppy is very poor at walking and has no bladder control. Even at 8 weeks, you need to take a puppy out every 2-3 hours. They can't hold it.
At 6 weeks the puppies are socializing and figuring out basic interactions with their parents and siblings, while still trying to get motor skills figured out.
At 8-12 weeks, they are learning what NOT to do to other dogs and what TO do. It's a vital part of their socialization period and will affect them greatly in the future.
I recommend taking a pup at 10 weeks, as it's optimal and the most socialized then while still being at the best age for bonding to you.

I'm sure there are other problems, but google can narrow that down for you.
>>
>>2037483
With certain breeds you CAN'T cut their undercoat, as it'll be unlikely for it to grow back.
Was it just the overcoat?
Also, just brush your pupper often in the near and later future. Long hair I guess? Ask your local pet store what brush would be best if you don't have one already.
Also put a collar on that fool if you don't already, makes 100% of street dogs look like home dogs.
>>
>>2037312
Hey dude, don't worry. Kirkland is bretty good I heard. I checked out reviews of it just now and looked at the ingredients list and it seems fine.
"Crude Protein ….. 28% Minimum
Crude Fat ….. 17% Minimum
Crude Fiber ….. 3% Maximum
Moisture ….. 10% Maximum
Calcium ….. 1.2% Minimum
Phosphorus ….. 1.0% Minimum
Zinc ….. 225 mg/kg Minimum
Selenium ….. 0.4 mg/kg Minimum
Vitamin ….. E 250 IU/kg Minimum
Omega-6 Fatty Acids ….. 3.0% Minimum
Omega-3 Fatty Acids ….. 0.5% Minimum
DHA (Docosahexaenoic acid) ….. 0.05% Minimum"
Those are the stats, they seem great to me.
Unless your dog's system isn't agreeing with the food, I don't recommend switching unless you wanted to go for some HQ shit. (Acana, Origin, Back to Basics, Blue Buffalo, etc)

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/best-dog-foods/best-puppy-foods/best-dry-puppy-foods-5-star/
>>
>>2037803
But how come orphaned puppies seem to do just as fine?
My cousin has one and he's now 10 months and is an amazing dog.
He found him when he was like 4 weeks.

Also, what about the difference between if a pup is taken away from his mother and siblings VS taken away from mother but still with siblings?
There's a faggot in my neighborhood who's selling 4 week old pups who are separated from their parents, and I want to know how much I should hate his guts.
>>
>>2037815
Your cousin probably put up with the puppy regret stage better than anyone else and took care of it properly. He most likely went above all else, spending an exponential amount of time on that puppy; socializing, playing, teaching, and weaning it. Your cousin just did good and took the part of its mother.

There have been puppy and kitten litters where the mother dies, you know, bottle fed pups and such.
I'm not sure where you're from, but it should be illegal to sell puppies that young and you should complain about it to the police asap.
Hate him, I would.
The difference would probably manners, and because of the less amount of breast feeding a weaker immune system? I'm not too sure, ask your local vet if you're very curious, they may have had similar experiences and situations.
With the mother, a puppy will learn boundaries in biting and nipping as well as when playing gets too rough.
>>
>>2037804
he said he got it stripped. that doesn't mean cutting, that means the dead undercoat was pulled out, and that anon though it made his dog look less cute.
>>
>>2037491
I'm pretty sure it was the overcoat i stripped bro, the undercoat is the much shorter hairs right?

>>2037804
Stripping is the act of "pulling" or "plucking" your dogs hairs out (which i first thought was the overcoat) so that it can grow back much more thicker and course thus making it much more weather resistant. It's pretty much a mandatory thing to do for breeds such as the long haired jack russell terrier.
>>
>>2037831
>overcoat, not undercoat

my bad, you're right about that.

regardless of that, the hair that you're pulling out is dead and can get matted and uncomfortable for the dog if you don't keep stripping him. if you strip him regularly, he'll start having layers of coats and won't look so different when you strip him. if you only do it three or four times a year, the hair will all grow in the same length and you'll get the look that you don't like.

but keep stripping your dog. it will keep him happy.
>>
What do you use to clean your dog's ears?
>>
>>2033140
You do realize what a dog is right? It is literally the only animal resilient and brutal enough to have co-evolved with humans.

Dogs are literally what happened when wolves and humans formed an inter-species alliance for food and protection. Dogs are not pussies.
>>
>>2037877
Okay that's encouraging, thanks for the info man.

Just wondering, do dog groomers do stripping or do they only do hair cuts?
>>
>>2037828
Shit, I managed to misunderstand that. Thanks.
>>
>>2037907
They should. I've seen professionals give tutorials on YouTube. Just ask if they'll strip the dog. Probably a petsmart groomer wouldn't know anything about it , though.
>>
So, I have a 4 and a half month old Airdale Terrier, and he is a pain in the ass when taking him for walks.

He runs to the left and to the right constantly, and pulls on the leash a lot. I've used both retractable and non-retractable leashes.

I'm assuming this is expected behaviour for a dog of that age, what is the best thing to do to make him walk properly without being spastic, or is it something that just simmers down with age?
>>
>>2033146
But people don't need shoes.
Callus, ever heard of it. Probably not you sheltered idiot.
>>
>>2037970
Hold the leash short, if need be, hold it with your second hand a short distance from the one you grab the leash with.
When he pulls, stop until he calms down. Then resume walking.
If that doesn't work, go the opposite way he's pulling. Don't go too fast or too suddenly, or too often, he might think you're playing.
>>
>>2037327
>cesar milan

I'm very sketchy on this. m8
>>
File: All is beauty, all is light.gif (704KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
All is beauty, all is light.gif
704KB, 200x200px
>puppy refuses to stop biting at your pant legs while taking a walk
>puppy refuses to bite on sticks for more than a nanosecond unless you're actively playing with it during the walk
>puppy applies the same logic to any sort of toy brought along for the walk
>>
>>2033108
Does anybody have any experience with Keeshoden? I absolutely cannot get a straight answer on their energy level. Some people say they have "intense, rigorous exercise requirements" and others say they "hardly ever need to be exercised". Are people just stupid or do the dogs not have a solid/predictable temperament?
>>
>>2037970
Front-clip harness?
>>
I think my puppy might have had diarrhea. She had an accident and I let her out when I got home. She pooped again outside and it was liquid. She is sleeping right now and shivering, but I think its because I gave her a bath.

The poop wasn't bloody and she was still energetic when I let her out but I'm still worried. Anything I can do?

I changed her food 2 days ago and she ate a lot today. I think those might have played as factors?
>>
>>2038480
>I changed her food 2 days ago and she ate a lot today. I think those might have played as factors?

Are you doing a gradual switch? Or did you just straight up give her the new food by itself?
>>
>>2038483
I did it gradually. Anyway the shivering has gone down so I think that was just the bath.
>>
>>2038487
>did it gradually
>past tense

are you still doing the gradual switch or did you finish the gradual switch over the course of two days? what proteins are you switching to, and which are you switching from? are you going grain to grain-free, or vice-versa?

keep your pup hydrated and if his temperament changes, take her to the vet.
>>
When my pup is pent up full of energy, he does this thing where he runs laps in my house/backyard at full sanic speed until he's burnt out.

Obviously, this is much more desirable than destructive behaviour like chewing the furniture etc. How do i make sure he keeps this sort of behaviour?
>>
>>2038582
if you see him chew on shit distract him and take him outside and play with him
>>
>>2038588
I think you misread my post anon, i'm saying my pup runs around instead of doing destructive behaviour to blow off steam, how do i make sure he keeps this up?
>>
Are Chesapeake Bay Retrievers gud?
>>
Sorry to bring everyone down but I feel obligated to share this on behalf of my friends.

http://lmgcorporate.com/kpho/news/searchwarrant.pdf

Look up the Gilbert 23 if you're interested in following the case.
>>
>>2038593
They're really pretty dogs. Never owned one, but I met one in person and it reminded me a lot of a golden.
>>
How the fuck do I keep my dog from climbing out the fence and running around the goddamn neighborhood
>>
Anyone here with a dog who works full time? I'd like a dog but that is my situation. As far as I can tell, whether or not it is ok by itself depends on the dog. Some dogs just sleep the day away and others tear up the place. Some people drop their dogs off at a daycare for the day. What's your situation like /an/on?
>>
File: wolfhound_standing.jpg (71KB, 400x293px) Image search: [Google]
wolfhound_standing.jpg
71KB, 400x293px
I'd like to get an Irish Wolfhound someday. Has anyone had one or had any experience with them? I'm aware that they don't live very long and can have health issues.
>>
File: myfaggotdog.png (1MB, 1231x766px) Image search: [Google]
myfaggotdog.png
1MB, 1231x766px
>have an 8 year old brindle boxer
>mom bought him because he was a beautiful/cute puppy, neither of us know how to take care of a dog
>I was 8 at the time
>it becomes my responsibility to take him for walks, pick up his shit in the yard and train him
>didn't know how to get him socialized with other dogs, didn't even know I was supposed to be doing that
>he'd always go nuts and jump and try to drag me across the street when he'd see another dog, I was a small kid so I'd get hurt when he does that
>eventually of course we both grow up, he gets calmer and I've trained him to sit now when he sees another dog, we wait until the dog passes then we continue
Is it possible to socialize him now? He's 8 as I mentioned and there's a park nearby us, I feel like he'd be happy if he could play, even though he gets lots of walks and we run around in the yard for 40 minutes a day.
>>
File: adult_dog.png (596KB, 522x880px) Image search: [Google]
adult_dog.png
596KB, 522x880px
Is Orijen the most patrician dog food?
>>
File: CAM00011.jpg (315KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
CAM00011.jpg
315KB, 1536x2048px
I'm currently torturing my dog. She does not like photo shoot time.
>>
>>2039441
>Diamond

Watch out for frequent recalls.
>>
>>2038591
run with him
>>
>>2039443
I got dogadvisor emails, but ya I want to switch her back to Taste of the Wild next paycheck, before she's done with this bag. She doesn't like it and its making her stink.
>>
How do i stop my dog from eating literally everything from the floor, also how do i give him meds without him spilling everything?
first time owner here, this ain't easy i gotta say.
>>
I'm in love with Dobermans, and I really want to get one, but what traits should I look for in determining a shit inbred Doberman?
>>
>>2039452
>Taste of the Wild

Taste of the Wild is manufactured by Diamond.
>>
>>2039460
I don't fault a brand on recalls, I fault them on trying to hide things or making animals sick and not taking responsibility for it. She was doing great on Taste of the Wild for almost a year, and I only switched her for a bit because my income decreased for a bit and she was getting some weird kind of hives or allergy. We moved and now she's getting those same hives again randomly, so I don't think it's her food but rather something in the grass. Going to get her vet records and ask the vets around her for an allergy test.
>>
>>2039455
Try looking up breed kennels and necessary health tests+volunteer health tests, and then make sure the breeder does all those along with knowing the records of the dogs a couple generations back.
>>
My dog starts whining whenever someone goes in the bathroom.
I mean anyone, the rest of the senpai are here with her, but she'll run to the bathroom door and start crying when someone walks in and closes it behind her.
Is this still seperation anxiety? Or does she think the bathroom is evil and is scared for us?
>>
>>2039454
>How do i stop my dog from eating literally everything from the floor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBvPaqMZyo8
It won't be easy, pups tend to like to bite everything.
>Give him meds without him spilling everything
How are you giving it to him?
You're meant to mix it in with his food.
>>
File: 20150204_125944.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20150204_125944.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
I don't even know how to write this post. I always hoped I would never have to.

My dog just died last night.

She was outside in my backyard with my dad when, all of the sudden, she bolted towards the woods. I guess she saw a deer or something and took off after it.

She searched for her for hours and covered all of the woods in our area, but no luck.

She got onto the freeway somehow, and was hit by a car. Someone called it in at 3 AM, but the state police just showed up now.

My puppy, my floofy, my best friend died last night. I blame myself. I should have put her shock collar on. I should have been outside with her the whole time. I should have checked on the freeway for her. I fucked up and she died because of it.

I know that if I wasn't already on heavy antidepressants, I would be tieing a noose right now.

Goodnight, Smokey "Mookins". You were one of the best things to ever happen to me.

I will never, ever stop missing you, Mookie. Rest in peace.
>>
Just got this little fella last night. We played tug o' war until he pretty much passed out on the spot. Lab/Australian shepherd mix
>>
>>2039603
Body shot showing his coloration
>>
>>2039603
>>2039605
He's adorable, anon. Keep him close and show him that you love him every day.

He'll be your closest friend.
>>
>>2039603
>>2039605
Are you Australian? Funny you say you just got him last night, we had a massive adoption event just yesterday
>>
>>2038593
Yes, if you want a working dog. No, if you want a pet.
>>
>>2038994
Don't leave your dog outside unattended
>>
>>2039206
I did daycare the first two years, now I do walk/play before and after I get home.
>>
>>2039430
>dry dog food

It's the shiniest turd on the pile
>>
File: image.png (1MB, 1974x1476px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1MB, 1974x1476px
>>2039455
>>
Is it OK if a puppy grows up with no siblings? Friend's pups died at 3 weeks only one left. He's with his mom but now has no siblings.
Is it gonna affect him in any way??
(It's a gsd btw)
>>
>>2039861
If accustomed to siblings and grew up with them, loss of a loved one for dogs is as bad as it would be for humans. As a kid one of my dogs refused food and didn't move much after his sister died.
>>
File: 20151204_191615.jpg (1MB, 2656x1494px) Image search: [Google]
20151204_191615.jpg
1MB, 2656x1494px
He's an evil sadistic cunt but he's also adorable
>>
>>2034066

lol fucking adorable. I had a Doberman when I was younger, my entire family was caught off guard by how fucking great that dog came to be.

We expected Hitler and got an useless, adorable, bigass, food-stealing and absolute bro tier dog
>>
>>2039601
Sorry for your loss, anon.
>>
I live in Northern California, Fortbragg to be specific, and I was wondering if anyone knew of any Corgi breed specific rescues nearby. I'm willing to travel a couple hours, possibly even out of state, but I would like to find one nearby if I can.

My fiance wants a Welsh corgi, and we've been discussing getting one for about a year now. We are in a financial position to do it now, but I don't want to go through the young puppy stage again if I can avoid it.
>>
File: Doggy_1.jpg (187KB, 724x965px) Image search: [Google]
Doggy_1.jpg
187KB, 724x965px
Don't normally come here, got a question though so I'm going to bump with some pics.

My dog used to love his walks, to the point where if he heard the word 'walk' he'd jump around, so we had to use codewords when discussing where/when we were going with him.

Recently, last few months or so, he's gotten extremely lazy. He's put on a bit of weight but he's not fat to the point of where he shouldn't be able to move, and he was roughly the same weight before he got noticeably lazy.

Now, you practically (and often literally) need to drag him out of the house, and when off the lead he trails behind.

Any idea what the cause might be? He's been to the groomers (gets shaved every couple of months) where they have an on-site vet I might have a chat with later.

I did notice after he got castrated (which I was opposed to) he was reluctant to leave the house without my girlfriend, not sure if he was getting protective and not wanting to leave her in the house alone or what (I'd have assumed castration would have the opposite effect on such a behaviour, and he never had that issue before the surgery)

Any ideas what could be the cause?
>>
File: Doggy_2.jpg (233KB, 691x921px) Image search: [Google]
Doggy_2.jpg
233KB, 691x921px
Doggy number 2, lurcher from a rescue home. Not sure if he was abused, at first I thought he was (and still do), because he has a lot of scars about him, as well as being very sensitive when you're touching around his ears (not sure if someone has yanked at them or something in the past), but he's had an encounter with a cat in the garden that left him with similar looking scratches.

Very obedient, but with him being a sight hound I can't have him off the lead around the neighbour because of all of the cats hiding beneath the cars that dart out. He's already grabbed a hold of one of them (which was killing birds in my garden, managed to rescue it before anything bad happened but it hasn't been back in my garden, which is how I like it)
>>
>>2039980
Castration can effect dogs stamina, but usually not to such an extreme. If he isn't old, definitely get him checked out by the vet.

A couple things-check for heartworm and possible deficiency in his food. Is he on a good kibble or raw? He might be lacking something. Also check known diseases/ailments for his breed (or if he's mixed, whatever breed is most prominent).
>>
File: Doggy_3.jpg (91KB, 536x855px) Image search: [Google]
Doggy_3.jpg
91KB, 536x855px
Doggy number 3, was the neighbours but she was small enough to get through the fence between the gardens and she practically lived here. My OES loved her, even if she stole his food.

Neighbours eventually got evicted for some reason or another (never had any bother with them, nice Polish family). Poor image because it's from a vid, didn't have any stills.

>>2039985
He's on ASDA dry dog food, not sure when we swapped over to that from his last stuff, with a bit of leftovers if it's suitable for him. I'll try and remember when we swapped over and see if it coincides. He's just turned 4 this week or maybe next, so he's not old.

Did some quick googling and it says they're pretty healthy except for some regular dog ailments, one of them being Hypothyroidism. Only a couple of the symptoms match, lethargy and overweight, but they could be caused by any number of things (even each other). I'll have a chat with the vet next time I'm down at the groomers.
>>
File: Doggy_4.jpg (123KB, 554x921px) Image search: [Google]
Doggy_4.jpg
123KB, 554x921px
Lastly, doggy number 4, just finished dogsitting her for my new neighbours for a week (living in the house doggy 3 used to be in).

Adorable little chocolate lab, liked to nibble on your ears if you ever lay down on the couch.
>>
File: 20160118_123551.webm (3MB, 280x500px) Image search: [Google]
20160118_123551.webm
3MB, 280x500px
post webums of ur droggos
>>
File: IMG_20151223_213724619.jpg (3MB, 2340x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151223_213724619.jpg
3MB, 2340x4160px
My pupper Athena, she's 10 a month old boxer Belgian malinois mix.
>>
>>2039635
He was talking about traits of the dog itself, not the traits of the breeder you mong.
>>
>>2039601
I'm so sorry, anon.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
anyone know what breed she is? I recently adopted her and the previous owner said she was a full shih tzu. she looks more like a papillon to me. thoughts?
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 4032x3024px
>>2040486
Another pic
>>
File: IMG_0013.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0013.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
I'm not a regular /an/poster, but Ellie had to be put down today so I wanted vent a tiny bit. [spoiler]14 years old, tumor on the lips, enlarged heart pushing down on the esophagus; nothing we could do[/spoiler]

The worst part wasn't taking her to the vet. It wasn't even leaving without her. It was coming home, seeing all of her stuff and the places she would always be, and realizing that she's not coming back.
>>
so you've probably heard this a million times, but I made the mistake of giving my dog a piece of food while I was eating dinner and now he won't stop begging at the table
how do I get him to leave me alone?
>>
>>2040857
Teach him Leave it, Go lay down, or Out of the kitchen
>>
I've adopted what used to be a hunting dog. I'm pretty sure he used to be primarily housed outside. He was then a stray for at least two months. (He instictaully knocks over garbage cans outside, a habit I'm slowly breaking him of) Had him for about a month now.

3 year old Foxhound/ mystery hound mix

He seems much more comfortable outside. He wants out every 30 or so minutes and becomes very restless when inside for even a few hours. I take him on at least a 45 minute walks every day through the woods and I try to get him to the dog part at least twice a week. He becomes pretty lazy once he's had his walk.

He just seems to love being outside, he just sits out there for hours sunbathing. When I call him in, he often gives me a look like "nah, I'm good brah" even when it's cold.

I'd like to transition him into more of a house dog, right now he is 90% house broken, but has a really bad habit of chewing up random things when he gets bored. I give him toys, kongs, and what not, but he's pretty slow on understanding that only toys are for chewing. So he has to stay in his crate while I'm at work.

I'm thinking of making him a dog house and letting him stay outside during the day. I used to be a carpenter so I could get it fully thermo regulated and everything.

I don't like the idea of forcing a dog to be outside all day, but this dog seems to genuinely prefer it.

My work has recently lost several employees so I've been stuck working 10 hours a day, so he's stuck in his crate, while my other older dog gets to free roam the house because he never causes problems. It looks like work could be this way for awhile.

I haven't had an outside dog sense I lived in the middle of nowhere and had a dog that just sort of showed up and stayed around my house. I have a large yard and an all around eight foot fence.

I know I'm in for some "NEVER EVER DO THIS" responses, but has anyone had success with this?
>>
>>2040863
You already know the answer to this so don't do it
>>
>>2035391
Jesus that poor dog, how do you fuck up that badly
>>
>>2040860
he already knows go lie down but he just stays on his bed for a minute and comes right back
he's pretty old so I don't think teaching him other commands is going to be an option really
I think I need a way to show him that he's not getting anything
>>
File: Bmmb.jpg (39KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Bmmb.jpg
39KB, 640x480px
>>2038124
>New dog
>Rarely gets excited and playful
>He just spontaneously starts jumping
>"Oh boy he's finally playing"
>Try to keep him excited while going to get his toy
>Suddenly wants to just go outside and lay in the sun as soon as you are back with the toy

or

>Random thing such a cell phone
>Dog can't wait to eat it and chew it up
>Get him toy that has same kind of feeling, color and material
>0 interest

Another 5.99 down the drain
>>
Today marks the one year anniversary of adopting my puppo. Here's a picture of him when we first got him.
>>
>>2041029
And here he is now.
>>
>>2033146
Your worry for your dog is almost precious.
>>
>Dog walks into room
>Farts
>Leaves
Thanks man
>>
File: pups.jpg (155KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
pups.jpg
155KB, 960x720px
>>2033874
nice bait, have a photo of my new aussie/collie mix.

i'll be picking him up from the owner when he's old enough (right now he's a month old).
>>
>>2040876
You can teach old dogs just as well as puppies with the right motivation. Look up some youtube vids on teaching dogs not to beg, and give him something to do while you are eating or doing things in the kitchen. Or, you could just put him in your bedroom or something during dinner with his own bowl of food.
>>
File: tumblr_o0rek76bsk1tbusu1o1_500.jpg (81KB, 422x750px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o0rek76bsk1tbusu1o1_500.jpg
81KB, 422x750px
My pup Shaq
>>
File: charles.png (464KB, 414x456px) Image search: [Google]
charles.png
464KB, 414x456px
my pup charlie!
>>
>>2041195
10/10 pup
>>
Friend tell me that dog who has tail who goes up on back exposes anus are more likely homosexual, is there truth to this?
>>
/an/ why are small dogs so retarded? I have been watching a weird mix, labradoodle/chihuahue hybrid thing for 3 weeks for my fathers best friend, and it is clinically retarded compared to the dog I used to have years ago.

Why are they so barky?
>>
>>2041192
So cute! You should upload videos of him
>>
My dog (80 lb lab) just ate a balloon. Should I be worried? Anything I can do?
>>
>>2041200
Chihuahua's are just shit dogs in general. That and most of the time owners spoil and raise these little shits like they're human, no discipline or training whatsoever.

The only small dogs that are good are terriers. They're pretty much big dogs in little bodies.
>>
How do I prevent/stop seperation anxiety?

When my 12 week puppy is sleepy, the second I leave she starts crying. Its not unless she is extremely tired that she MIGHT let me leave her alone. College is about to start and I'm going to need to find a way to combat this.

Do I ignore her cries or what?
>>
>>2041203
Wait and hope it passes, get the dog to the emergency vet immediately if you notice any signs of distress
>>
>>2041253
What information have you found so far?
>>
File: 20160116_191431.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20160116_191431.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
Rate my dog
>>
My dog keeps puking white foam every 15 mins. It's too late to take him to the vet, everything is closed its 8pm here.
It's probably due to his kidney because he always had problem with it.
What should I do?
>>
File: 20160113_110746.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160113_110746.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
Ill post some pictures i took at the humane society im volunteering at cause Im an attention whore but also dogs a cute
>>
File: 20151125_162847.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20151125_162847.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
>>
>>2041471
When was the last time he ate? If it's just the vomiting and he's otherwise acting fine you can probably wait until morning to get him to the vet to at least have him examined and maybe get some Cerenia. But in the meantime you should still watch for more serious symptoms or signs of dehydration and be prepared to go to the emergency vet tonight if necessary.
>>
>>2041575
the time I post this he stopped it already.
It was at 10AM when he last ate, after 10pm he stopped vomiting and ate a little and now he seems fine.
I was just scared because he vomited a lot, and he might puke blood too, but it didn't happen.
>>
>>2041200
This is what happens when you bred based on: "lookit how tiny it be!"

You've got to do some serious inbreeding to go from wolf to Pug. I watched a pug once. Not worth the 300 I was paid. Most balls to the walls retarded piece of shit and I had to physically re-socket his left eye at least twice a day. Like it's so fucking inbred it's goddamn eyes can just FALL OUT. Just, "woop my eye fell out" better run around barking! "Oh human trying to fix my eye, lemme freak the shit out and run into a wall.

These breeds should be discontinued.
>>
File: image.jpg (151KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
151KB, 640x1136px
Pupper at the vet today :( she hates it but she acts so well
>>
Hello friends, I really need your help.

I'm looking to adopt a dog, but my girlfriend is terribly allergic to them. Ditching the girl is not an option.

So, what's the most hypoallergenic breed?
>>
>>2041610
poodle or labradoodle
>>
>>2041625
How much do poodles shed?
>>
File: image.jpg (87KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
87KB, 640x1136px
Shes 12 come this July
Has a younger dog she was super Hyper. She was walked once a day regularly and eventually I reached the point we jogged or ran consistently almost every day for about 4 years straight
She got a urinary tract infection about About 2 years ago and since then walking her has become sporadic and difficult sometimes I put on the leash and harness and she refuses to walk and will lie down and be dragged until I turn around and start home. I got to the point where if she was difficult I wouldn't bother at all, although I did drag her a few times out of frustration; I'm trying to get back to walking her again since lack of exercise is definitely and obviously deteriorating her body but she won't do anything.
She's walking awkwardly and she had minor arthritis so I gather that has gotten worse.

Help?

Last few times we've gone walking she refuses outright (so we just go back inside) or walks...and then REFUSES TO TURN AROUND AND GO HOME AS IF SHE WANTS TO KEEP WALKING AND I HAVE TO DRAG OR CARRY THE BITCH HOME,
WHAT THE FUCK DOG
>>
File: 20151223_134013.jpg (3MB, 3984x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20151223_134013.jpg
3MB, 3984x2988px
My two woofswoofs out at the ranch having fun on the airstrip. :3
>>
k
>>
>>2041688
Treat motivation is the best alternative, that or make sure you don't look at her or give her any attention when she does something you don't like.
Try walking her with another dog.
>>
File: 20151223_132835-1.jpg (4MB, 2786x1794px) Image search: [Google]
20151223_132835-1.jpg
4MB, 2786x1794px
>>2041713
>>
File: 20160118_142429.jpg (3MB, 3984x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160118_142429.jpg
3MB, 3984x2988px
>>2041713
>>2041716
I have to post Pappy again. He is so adorable. But I can't take him home because of his leg injury ;_;

>>2041665
They don't shed.
They have hair, not fur. That's why a lot of people love labradoodles
>>
File: 1445685195160.gif (105KB, 200x149px) Image search: [Google]
1445685195160.gif
105KB, 200x149px
I need some training tips.

I have a mutt, I think she is a black lab, blue heeler, pit bull mix but I could be wrong. When I first got her when she was 9 months and I was around 13 I taught her all the basics. Around the same time my only other family member, my mom, also got a little Pomeranian. My mom never trained her dog and it's just the typical, alpha-less yapping machine.

After about 5 years of my mom's dog pooping in my room just to spite me I had a revelation. What if I train my dog to passively guard my room against my mom's dog.

My dog is very friendly but she does have the capability to be aggressive, also she is on good terms with the Pomeranian. I mainly want to know if it would even work. If I could train my dog, as a relative amateur, for this very specific task. And... Can I teach an old dog new tricks?
>>
>>2041796
Why don't you feed the Pomeranian some Xylitol?
>>
>>2041382
Well one of my roommates never leaves the apartment and told me she stopped crying a bit after I left. So I take that as good news. I feel like she will adjust within a week hopefully.
>>
File: Pharoah 1.png (179KB, 2316x1068px) Image search: [Google]
Pharoah 1.png
179KB, 2316x1068px
Sorry if i made you sad, I just want to tell someone.
>>
It snowed today so me & my SIBERIAN HUSKY went the the park. Cops approached me & told me I need to take my dog inside because a dog shouldn't be out in the snow.

Nearly died of a fucking stroke on the spot
>>
>>2041961
...what. What shithole are you in right now?
>>
File: 2016-01-20.jpg (61KB, 503x889px) Image search: [Google]
2016-01-20.jpg
61KB, 503x889px
Helping my mom get a new dog! Any idea on the breed of this QT mutt?
>>
Broccoli gives my dog the rankest, most disgusting farts in history. She's not even a boxer or any of the typically gassy breeds, she's a collie.

I just wanted to tell someone.
>>
Why is my 6 month old female lab puppy trying to jump on my head all the time?

I'll be sitting on the coach and she'll run up and jump behind me, put her paws on my shoulders, and put her head on my head
>>
>>2042219
Small town in North Carolina
>>
I was just thinking about a thread like this even though I haven't been to this board in a few months.

I've been wanting to get some puppies and train them, and then sell them as hunting dogs for some extra money. I just feel like if I did that, I wouldn't be able to give the dog(s) up, you know? Last dog I got was a "loan" from someone wanting me to train the pup and I just ended up paying for him because I liked him so much. I get attached to dogs and I don't know how others that train them and then send them along for whatever they're doing do it. I am a man, but I started shedding tears as I was petting the dog I was supposed to give back.
>>
>>2042386
my guess is that she did it once and it got your attention. Now she equates this act=attention. Want to get her to stop? Try ignoring her/ leave the room and keep your back to her. Negative feedback
>>
>>2041961
What in the fuck?
I could understand if it was a chihuahua or a purg or something.

The local police here usually throw snowballs for my dog to catch.
>>
>>2042419
That exact story has been told before like five times. Pretty sure it's either made up, or there is a PETA spy in the police force somewhere.
>>
>>2042233
Any other pictures? Like a side view and front standing view?
>>
File: 2016-01-20 (1).jpg (106KB, 1581x889px) Image search: [Google]
2016-01-20 (1).jpg
106KB, 1581x889px
>>2042477
nope, just this other pic. looks a bit dachshund to me with the snout, maybe some terrier. the lady said some people said she looks a bit papillion with the ears but at 17 pounds I doubt it.
>>
>>2034098
I miss my old Rott.

rip ol bean
>>
What're some treats/special things you do for your dog that's nonedible specifically?

>wait till dog is sleeping
>creep away and get his lead and collar
>wake him up and tell him we're going for a walk
other than that and generally playing,I can't think of much else
>>
File: IMG_0214.png (999KB, 611x815px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0214.png
999KB, 611x815px
>>2041609

How old?
Mines 4 months now.
>>
>>2041715
treat motivation, okay how should i do it?
piece of a treat for every few feet we walk?

not giving her attention is what i often do (doesn't seem as effective as i'd like, but my mother doesn't know how to treat her and so fucks up much of my training), but I can lose my shit pretty quickly sometimes
>>
My dog is really submissive toward other dogs. At the park, when greeted by another dog, she'll just sit down until they go away.

I can't tell if it's because she doesn't really care about other dogs (she'd rather just run around the dog park by herself) or if she has doggy autism and doesn't know how to socialize. She's spayed, if that means anything.
>>
>>2042704
Kind of social anxiety, you may need to do some one on one play sessions with a friends dog so she doesn't feel overwhelmed. My bitch would do the same thing when I took her to the dog park (only ever played one time with a four month old puppy that got her to run), but we moved recently in an area that has practically no traffic and the neighbors encourage everyone's dogs to roam free and play because the properties are so big. She's slowly starting to come out of her shell and actually take interest in other dogs and want to follow them. I'm hoping she'll start to play soon, because we want to get another dog in the next two years or so, and I want them to be able to play with other dogs and amongst themselves.
>>
>>2033108
What can I do regarding my bitch, shes agressive towards anyone besides my family, cause she was raised among us, but anyone else or dog, she will go crazy wanting to bite them.I moved out and brought my dog with me, had my room8 in the same room with me and she went crazy, I hold her down for 10 min, she calmed down and He trew meat at her, she can now be in the same room as him as long a I have her restrained with my whole body but if he tries to pet her she will go crazy to the point of chooking herself with the collar
>>
I'm trying I crate train and I need advice. Puppy is 6 months old, had him for a week. He hasn't eliminated in his crate once (which is great), and whenever he is in there he'll whine for a little but always chills out quickly. The problem is he will never go in on his own or stay in on his own. They say to never force them in there, but when I have to go to work or go to sleep I need him in there. Sometimes I can lure him in with a treat and close the door right behind him before he can get out and sometime i have to pick him up and place him in there. I always give him a treat after I close the door and he lays down. But I'm worried he's gonna end up resenting the crate. Will he grow to love it eventually or am I going about this all wrong?
>>
Does anyone ever get taken aback by how great dogs are?
>look at this toy I have
>I will bring it to you
>but you can't have it haha
>look
>look
>got you again it's still mine
>but look at it
Then you grab the toy off them.
>NO THAT'S MINE
>GIVE IT BACK
>IT'S MIIIIIIINE
>>
File: 20151024_164718.jpg (4MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20151024_164718.jpg
4MB, 3264x1836px
Can anyone tell me the best way to train a dog to be friendlier or at least not be so aggressive around other dogs. My dog is a rescue from the pound that appears to be a Carolina dog ("American dingo"). What do I need to do on my part and what's the best way to introduce her to other dogs the right way?

I've heard a lot about how dogs will learn from how you react to other dogs and currently I avoid other dogs on our walks so she might be picking up on that. Any help is welcome, correct me if I'm wrong on anything.
>>
>>2042421
I've posted this once. So no, you're lying.
>>
>>2033716
They are all dead, aren't they?
>>
>>2042833
Almost impossible.
Uncontrolled enviornment, unless you're looking to introduce two dogs that will be living togeather.
It's very difficult for them to just temper to liking other dogs without extreme measures (shock collars)
>>
File: 20160119_062136(0).jpg (4MB, 3984x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160119_062136(0).jpg
4MB, 3984x2988px
>>2042842
Yes.
I reverse imaged searched it.
>>
>>2042842
Even worse, this is the result of Denver banning the dogs from ownership.
>>
>>2042849
LEGALIZE IT
>>
>>2042833
Call a local dog training school, they can set up safe environments for your dog to meet other dogs. (Usually, it just means a few very clear ways of getting the fuck out and your presence.)
Ask them what training techniques they use in general, and try to find one that fits you, too.
And when you ask about socializing your dog, absolutely do tell them she's aggressive toward other dogs and anything you can think of that she does when she sees another dog, up close or from afar.
>>
>>2042879
Alrighy thanks man
I'll see if I cant scrape some money up for classes
>>
File: WP_000111.jpg (791KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
WP_000111.jpg
791KB, 2592x1944px
Here's to 14 great years.

Sleep tight puppper.
>>
File: IMG_0031.jpg (232KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0031.jpg
232KB, 1280x853px
>>2042619
13 weeks yesterday
beautiful pup, I like the amount of white a lot
>>
File: IMG_0032.jpg (221KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0032.jpg
221KB, 1280x853px
action shot, she's like a little bear

>>2041720
Now those are some gorgeous eyes, especially with that coat color, damn.
>>2041475
those ears are crazy cute
>>2041386
son_of_god/10
>>2039603
could you post a head-on photo, his coloration is sweet
>>
>be in WR121 class
>had to write argumentative paper
>do it on how breeding brachycephalic dogs is unethical
>prof really likes it so asks me to read it aloud (along with another student and his paper)
>dude in my class goes into unholy rage fit
>ranting about how he has two pug puppies from a breeder and says they're 100% healthy (when they're only 5 months old still..)
>can't even get a word in edgewise and he starts screaming insults and calling me a horrible person, pretentious bitch, etc
>whole class sits in shocked silence
>prof finally tells him to get the hell out or he'll call campus police

why are some people so angry
>>
>>2043081
I'd like to read that paper.
Fuck man-children like that, unable to see what pugs are past their "adorable" appearance.
>>
>>2042751
Fucking lol, my pup does this every time.
>>
>>2043083
I might upload it as a google doc or something later tonight or tomorrow, I'm on my phone at the moment

but yeah, it was pretty scary honestly. he didn't even want to debate it, he just had a freak out
>>
>>2043065
Such great dogs.
Crazy as hell if you don't give them enough attention and stuff to do, but damn are they great.
>>
File: 20160119_062140.jpg (4MB, 3984x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160119_062140.jpg
4MB, 3984x2988px
>>2043073
Pappy isn't my doggo sadly :< shelter puppy
This is my Doggo
>>
So, my 5 month old airedale is getting white hairs in his black fur on his back.

Is this normal or a sign of him not being completely pure?

I don't care if he isn't pure, I am just curious is all.
>>
What happens when you switch a puppies food cold turkey style? Upset tummy? Diarrhoea?

I came home to find out my mum had bought my puppy some new food because he's stopped eating his old (shitty) one and i don't think she knew that you're supposed to gradually swap the two foods.

>>2043397
Terrier owner here, it sounds like he has a few dead hairs on his overcoat. This just means you need to strip his coat. Look up "how to strip a terrier" on youtube.
>>
>>2043756
Tummy aches, diarrhea, vomiting, rancidterrible farts.
>>
Opinions on greyhounds?
>>
>>2043841
pretty bro-tier, id recommend you get a young racing retiree, but you do what you want.
>>
If you took a dog from a shelter that looked healthy, would you have it tested for its breed common genetic issues after taking him in?
>>
>>2043902
That's what I'm going to do if I decide on this breed, any personal experiences with them?
>>
Do pitbulls make good pets
Thread posts: 326
Thread images: 79

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.