[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Now that I'm in college, how do I go about making more friends

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 1

File: 20170710_144137.jpg (1MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170710_144137.jpg
1MB, 5312x2988px
Now that I'm in college, how do I go about making more friends and finding a girlfriend? It's been two days and I don't know anyone and it's getting really lonely.

I'm an 18 y-o, slim, relatively good looking, tall, russian guy, and I don't think I have a shitty personality but j just don't make friends easily I think
>>
Join clubs and groups.
>>
Get access to alcohol and drugs, and be generous with them. Also, remember people's names. That's about all there is to it.
>>
>>18660752
I'm 18 though
But would giving people alcohol while drinking something like apple juice to make then think I'm drinking be Okay? I don't wanna actually get drunk
>>
>>18660779
absolutely not dude what the fuck just have a drink or two for fucks sake, and dont feign interest in drinking or drugs if you arent actually interested in them
>>
>>18660792
I'm not interested at all, in fact I unintentionally think less of people who drink more than a bit of wine every now and then
>>
>>18660810
I didn't ask how you felt about it, I just told you what works. If you don't want to make connections the easy way, i.e. by getting shamefully intoxicated, feel free to get involved with your school's Bible Study club.
>>
>>18660833
I know you didn't ask, I was just didn't think it'd hurt to share and i was hoping you would still be able to help me
>>
Literally just walk up to people and talk to them. Everyone is as shy and nervous as you are and looking to make friends. Even until the end of the first semester there will still be a lot of loners around, not because they are weirdos but simply because they are too shy to talk to people and hope someone approaches them. College / University is the time of your life to learn to get our of your shell. Jump into the cold water my dude.
>>
Live in a dorm?
>>
"Hey, i'm anon! Nice to meet you" then shake their hand

literally all i ever had to do. even went with

>"Hey, Im anon we should be friends"
>>
>>18660849
I live in a suite with 4 other people, three of which are Chinese immigrants and they're all kinda quiet
>>18660846
Thanks anon. Will this work on cute Asian girls?
>>
>>18660864
So on campus then? What's your major?
>>
>>18660864
>Will this work on cute Asian girls?
Sure man. Just approach people
>>
>>18660869
Computer science. I'm on campus for the first year
>>
>>18660881
Okay well meeting friends is the easiest in dorms. I lived in on campus apartments like you describe for most of undergrad and it's hard to just meet dorm friends because of the individual rooms. If you have a common social area in your building with pool tables or whatever, use it and ask people if they want to play a game, you can also try this in the campus student center/union. Go to the gym like a mother fuckers, when you go to bars or out places you'll be recognized frequently. I would also suggest you join a professional society too to build your network of possible colleges. Can never be too early.

In reality you can always meet people by just saying hi be it in classes or on the walking paths. Everyone is probably just as shy and lonely and are pretty thirsty for human contact.

Are sports but at your school?
>>
>>18660898
Lots of sports at my school but I'm not joining any lol
Was also planning to start going to the gym more once classes start. I thought people didn't like talking at the gym, or is that wrong?
Also what do you mean by professional societies?
>>
>>18660687
Get out of your dorm room and go to meetings and parties. First week of college can really set the tone for the rest of the year. Talk to people in class.
>>
>>18660919
I don't know where there are any parties though. How do I find out about them??
>>
>>18660908
If you have say a big basketball or football team, see if you can get groups together and watch them either at the stadium or somewhere.

People don't always chat at the gym but if you go frequently, people will notice you out at other places. I dated a girl once because she recognized me at Publix because I went to the gym all the time and she remembered.

Professional societies, like alpha chi sigma (chemistry). There are fraternities (not as gay as normal ones) for each major project professional association.
>>
>>18660937
Would I, in theory, still be fine if i mainly just went to the gym and did that approachment thing? I dont really want to completely reinvent my life with going to every social gathering/organization i can find, but I probably will if that's what it takes
>>
>>18660864
>>18660937
Maybe not a group but hell just anyone to have an excuse to hang out with someone. If you can't find people check the big public areas on campus with TVs during games, maybe people will be there you can meet. As your your Chinese immigrant roommates, typically they have a family or friends structure locally to help them in and around. You can always hang out with them and see if they are cool guys.

Where is your University? Or what university (not gonna weaponized autism you)
>>
>>18660956
You can introduce yourself but I wouldn't do it while someone is actively working out unless they need a spot or something and you can introduce yourself after. If the gym has a sauna or hot tub or steam room, you can also intro there.
>>
>>18660960
I'm at SUNY stony brook (new york)
I already hung out with them a bit and didn't really enjoy it, but if you say it'll help me out then I'll try again
>>
>>18660964
Oh no i meant gym and approaching as separate things, which I guess can also happen together sometimes
>>
>>18660966
Might be worth it, what was wrong with the last hang out?

Hmmmmmmm unfortunately I don't know that area at all or the University but maybe another anon does. But you can always watch college football with prospective friends, tis the season!!!
>>
>>18660969
Oh yeah. If you have the confidence and you know you seen someone you can always go " hey you go to such and such uni or gym, I am X"
>>
>>18660979
They all immigrated recently so their English is pretty bad, and it was really difficult to actually hold any sort of conversation with them.

And that's a good idea. Does it matter that I don't give a single shit about sports, nor do i really even know the rules?
>>
>>18660687
>russian

Instant turn off. Don't tell girls you're russian. Ewwww!
>>
>>18660982
What about situations like a girl is just walking down a path or sitting in a library and i sit down next to her or walk next to her and do what that other anon said and go "hey, we should be friends" but maybe with more fluff? I just wanna hear your opinion
>>
>>18660988
Is this true? Some people found it interesting in the past so I thought it was a good thing
>>
>>18660991
Eh, don't go "hey we should be friends" as your first comment in sincerity. You can say that later if you want but don't have that be your first words. But it is fine to randomly introduce yourself to people, just don't be a creeper about it.

>>18660984
Exactly. I went to FSU and had literally zero idea as to how football was even played but still went to games and had watch parties. I just kept my mouth shut on sports opinions. I only learned about the sport a year later when my best friend played the NCAA games on my PS2 religiously.

>>18660984
Might be good to try again. Leaning a new language is hard especially for Chinese trying to learn English given how the languages are so fucking different. I would try again and only bail permanently if there's some serious ideological differences or they are just shitty people.
>>
>>18661047
>>18660991
>>18660984
And remember, they barely speak English, are in a new country, and are probably feeling even more lonely and terrified of talking to strangers so as long as your not a dick about it it can be fun.

And don't be afraid to say "I have no idea how this sport is played but it's fun to watch" because you can always learn from people that aren't douche nozzles and this more conversations and more friendships.

Are you russian-american or full on cheeki breeki immigrant?
>>
>>18661070
>>18661047
And again, those roommates of yours might find their way into the Asian student Union. I had some friends in that while I was in undergrad and they had some sweet ass parties for a while. You never know where people end up or who knows who. So just be friendly and considerate and it's okay to avoid people if you genuinely don't like or don't get along.
>>
Just be yourself, but adjust "yourself" for the parts of you that are acceptable. Here was my self rule in college:
"Does it sound like something someone on /r9k/ would say? Don't say it."

It served me well.
>>
>>18661070
I'm American with russian heritage. I speak without and accent and you wouldn't be able to tell I was russian if not for my name.
>>
Also update:
I went to this school hosted party on the university's grass terrace thing, where there was free food and a movie later on. Figured it might be a chance to meet people, but all the girls were in groups already and the guys who weren't were terrifying to be near. I know it sounds stupid but I left almost as soon as i came and I feel like a failure
>>
>>18661132
Oh nice. Do some language or cultural exchanges with prospective friends, for some reason normies love that shit.
>>
>>18661148
Been there don't worry and keep trying.

You can always try to introduce yourself to one that split from the group for drink or something.
>>
>>18661151
That's a good idea, I'll definitely try it next time the opportunity comes up
Thanks anon
>>
just wanna say before this thread eventually archives:
thanks to everyone who responded, it was all extremely appreciate and made me feel a little more confident in approaching people. i'm still shy as all get out but if i need more advice or if you guys care at all i might update the situation
>>
>>18661341
Monitoring until DED thred
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.