[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Internships and College

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 3
Thread images: 1

File: tobY.jpg (206KB, 850x978px) Image search: [Google]
tobY.jpg
206KB, 850x978px
maybe i just need to lurk more but i really wanted to ask you guys this because this board seems like the most genuine window into the world of people who do math and science for a living.

I'm a rising sophomore in a mid to shit tier university in florida, majoring in computational science (i'll explain later). I took my first programming course last semester and fell in love, I want to code and solve problems pretty much for the rest of my life, but i want to do this using computers/coding. I chose my major because it seemed to be the one that merged computers and coding with scientifically applicable coursework, and I applied for a $2500 scholarship through the department, so there was that.

my questions are:
a.) do you think that this relatively new major is the best fit for someone looking to design/write programs or code things that actually matter instead of being a code monkey

and

b.) how did you guys go about utilizing your skills to make money and/or impact the world in any significant way? inb4 optimist naiveté, i just wanna use my passion for computers to help advance humanity's pursuit of science in any way. shit.
>>
>>18608693
defense contractors for money and some slight impact, federal work for significant impact but with no recognition.
>>
>>18608693
>>18608693
I'm part of big research that works with national labs and tech that will hopefully be mainstream twenty years from now.

The sad thing is we are a bunch of really high class patent trolls in reality. We make systems and protype and in a few years when the market brings them to fruition we just wave out rights to them.

Research is a sham in the computer field. There is really cutting edge and amazing stuff but getting funding is a cutthroat and dirty battle. If you really love science, just start doing open source projects left and right, ones that could actually help people.
Take a well known problem as and try to provide a non propertary way to solve it.
Thread posts: 3
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.