[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey advice...I need some advice. I'm a 22 year old guy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: 1234.jpg (44KB, 1152x1152px) Image search: [Google]
1234.jpg
44KB, 1152x1152px
Hey advice...I need some advice.

I'm a 22 year old guy who since November been working as a financial analyst in a hedge fund. I finished my degree in finance last year with amazing marks, having topped a few subjects throughout my time. This is my first 'real' job in the industry.

I am depressed, anxious and sick of everything and its only been a short amount of time. The people in the industry are nothing short of terrible in both character and work ethic, I wake at 4:30am and go to bed at 8:30am with no time for myself in between. I have no friends, no significant other. I feel alone, scared and I just don't want to do this anymore.

So the question is - Should I quit my job? I know it's a big mistake in quitting your first graduate role but I am seriously afraid for my mental health. I feel like my life, day by day, is simply heading to auto pilot mode where i'll be stuck.

There is no support from anyone here, I feel like I'm not learning anything and I feel dumber. I went from one of the best students in my field at university to forgetting and not understanding the basics of investments work.

I don't see myself doing this for the next 40 years.
>>
>>16862929
Just hang in there until you finish dying on the inside, it will be easier after that.
>>
>>16862942

Unfortunately that's not an option. I made the mistake of thinking this industry was for me but I don't want it to become myself before its too late.
>>
Quit. If it doesn't make you happy, fuck it
>>
>>16862942
>>16862984

Any other views? Just quit ?
>>
How's your finances? I would stay at make money and experience and perhaps move to a a better job
>>
>>16862929
Well Anon, I'm in community banking and feel the same way even though I have great work life balance, a steady girlfriend, live in a fun city, have friends living near me, and basically all of those things that are supposed to be 'good' in life.

I wonder most days, "Is this it?"

So I'm not sure it's just your job; I think it really is the untold story of the Recession. Before the Recession, people like you could do your post graduate job for a year or two, make actual money, and then choose between an MBA or working in more of a corporate role of your choice. Or you could have stayed at the fund and been super rich.

But in today's world? You give your soul to them and you make "decent" money. Then where do you go from there? But the grass isn't greener, IMO. Even though my job pays the bills and I have all of those things you claim to miss... I still feel totally stuck and unsatisfied in my job and my overall life.

The Recession changed this country.
>>
>>16863134

Same here. I'd definitely stay making six figures for a couple years despite being unhappy with my job. Honestly, being compensated with large amounts of money would greatly outweigh my dissatisfaction with my work.

Not sure if OP was born with a silver spoon and has no idea what it is like to struggle or if he is just some lying faggot, but this is a silly thread either way.
>>
>>16862929
1: There are lots of other companies and industries that need financial analysts and people with those skills. Even non-profits and organizations that want to make a better world. Changing jobs is easier when you have a job (cliche) but it's true. Maybe there is a company that is a better fit. Consider this before you quit your current job.

2: If you have the money reserve, apply for grad school or a different degree program if you want to go in a different direction. This is an easy way to explain on your resume or to recruiters why you left your current company.

I'm sure there are other ideas.
>>
>>16863145
>Not sure if OP was born with a silver spoon and has no idea what it is like to struggle or if he is just some lying faggot, but this is a silly thread either way.

I don't agree. This is a real life problem no matter what your "pay grade" is. Unless you plan to spend your retirement in a cardboard box and do day labor.

I think spending your life in a place you hate is no life at all. I spent my last 20 years of big organization employment in a dysfunctional organization. The founding boss recruited people who could make hard choices but also had no humanity. It turned into an organization of sociopaths. Personally I was trapped because I had family and a wife who was professionally employed, so I couldn't move outside the area. The organization developed an local reputation that nixed employment in similar places. The single folks with conscience picked up and got jobs in other cities.
>>
>>16863208
>spent my last 20 years of big organization employment
Ok grandpa.
>>
>>16863208
Do you regret those 20 years? I feel pressured to settle down where I'm at, but it'll be a life of day labor for 20 years doing something I could care less about.
>>
>>16862929

Did you not expect that being in the bottom rung of a hedge fund is hard demeaning work? Most people put up with it for a couple years and wait until they can stab somebody in the back for a promotion where they don't have to work so hard any more.

If you are demoralized that you don't see any advancement opportunities or you don't think you can compete against your peers then you may need to look for a different company or field.

If you are legitimately unhappy with your entire career choice then start looking into other ideas of what you can do with your education.

I focused on computer science and 12 years later I hate my job and my life. It was a mistake. I thought I wanted to be a software developer until I saw what this industry was really like.
>>
>>16863220

For real.

You couldn't get a new job at 5, 10, or 15 years? Decided to stay at this horrible company while getting laid a lot?

Sounds like a you problem.
>>
>>16863324
>Do you regret those 20 years?

It wasn't all misery. Bringing up two kids had it's pluses and minuses and took my mind off the organization (no I'm not a grandparent yet AFAIK). There was satisfaction in working with the customer base but back in the office there was the culture of backbiting and disrespect. Looking back, it would have been great to have moved on after a year or two before the organization became firmly set. 20/20 hindsight.

>I feel pressured to settle down where I'm at, but it'll be a life of day labor for 20 years doing something I could care less about.

If it's with that dysfunctional organization, I'd be looking to move on after 2-3 years if you can stand it that long. People moving on for "more opportunities", "broadening experiences", graduate school, etc, looks good on a resume. There really are places that can talk about things. No place is perfect but sounds to me either the line of work or the organization is not for you.

OP, have you talked with other people in your field ? If you haven't already, join the appropriate professional organization and talk and compare notes with others. Network. If everyone is doing the same thing in the same sort of organization, then maybe find something else to do.
>>
>>16862929

save money, a lot of money and then quit the goddamn job, when you do it, make it the most polite as posible, because this fuckers always give your information or behavior to another enterprises.

Find another field of your degree that you like or something that really fullfit your soul, you don't seem like someone who have kids, so you can live with the money you saved or a job that pays you lower than your current job

Good luck.
>>
>>16863134

The money is okay I suppose. A first year graduate I make 52K. I get 5K a year for my pension and I make a bonus depending on the performance of the fund.

In roughly 5 years I'll be making the average fee of an analyst in this industry of about 200k+

However, I don't know whether I can handle 5 years..let alone 5 days.
>>
>>16863332

The people I work with are fine. I'm just so fucking lonely. Zero friends, no partner, no one to talk to. All the people I work with are 50+
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.