[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any easy to get computer-related jobs for someone

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: ITC_HelpDesk[1].jpg (108KB, 800x536px) Image search: [Google]
ITC_HelpDesk[1].jpg
108KB, 800x536px
Are there any easy to get computer-related jobs for someone with only a high school diploma?

I know my way around Microsoft computers, and have read multiple programming books in my spare time (programming is what I'm going to school for). I was thinking something where I help less computer-competent people with problems or something.

I know some peope who do this, and they say sometimes they even get to jut sit at the computer behind a desk, and dick around on the internet while getting paid (maybe when things are less busy)

I really want a laidback computer type of job like this where I can sometimes get paid for just sitting and browsing the web (not all the time obv).

It doesn't have to pay more than minimum wage, even. Searching on indeed.com though, and I can't find much in the realm of computers for someone without a degree and 2+ years of experience.

Advice? Ive been working in retail pretty much since high school (graduated 3 years ago) and I wanna get out.
>>
>>16807684
bump bumpin
>>
>>16807684

hey man I graduated computer science and I work minimum wage as a programmer.
>>
>>16807684
I have one and i feel guilty when i have 2+ paid hours of surfing a day. You don't know what you're asking for, and I'd much rather have a busier job. I'd quit if i wasnt getting paid so much and had other skills to get a comparable wage elsewhere.

I feel like a liar and a loser in this job.
>>
>>16807684
I'm not sure I understand, you say you are going to school for programming?

Look, the bad news is that many, many jobs in the computer information systems field from support to programming have been obsoleted by:
1. Outsourcing to India or other countries
2. Made redundant and unneeded due to technological advances
3. Too much competition from the people who are either REALLY good at information technology jobs (like programming systems for a fortune 100 company) or have networking abilities and are a "good ol boy:.

I had a tech degree from a community college back in 2003. It rocked for 5 years then the recession hit and my job was gone. I'm currently back in school going for psychology at the undergrad/grad level. My main career will be addictions counseling which is a booming field (sadly).

My advice is to get to a community college and get straight A's to get the big ass scholarships to a university so you will get paid to go to school while you major in something that isn't going to be obsolete.
>>
>>16807884
What's your job title? Do you work for a company or what?

Because I don't think I'd feel like a loser having that job at all. I'd feel pretty great.
>>
>>16807903

CS degrees can easily net you 50-70k starting salary
>>
>>16807903
I'm in CC almost done with a 2 year degree in software engineering (and it's honestly a joke, if I didnt study programming on my own I'd have about the same level of knowledge of software as doing a handful of codeacademy courses)

I'm looking for a good job just for the meantime right now, I currently work in retail for minimum wage and it's shit.

At the least, I'd rather be paid minimum wage for doing something REMOTELY computer related so I can at least have something on my resume that says I have a shred of experience

But at the same time I'd love a job that consists of easy stuff like just helping people with some basic computer stuff (something like a helpdesk I suppose).

I just am having trouble finding any that dont say 5+ years of experience in my area
>>
Oh ok, I understand now.

I really think you should look at going to a university after graduating from CC. The state universities are usually not horribly expensive and you could do work study there and make a decent amount of money while going to school

You sound like a bright person because you studied programming stuff yourself. You should look into mathmatics/engineering majors. You will make FUCKING BANK with either of those at the undergrad and grad level!
>>
>>16808027
Thanks anon

Going to uni is something I am considering in the future

But ideally I'd like to land some kind of modest career in my field now (doesn't have to pay much), enough for me to at least move out out of my parents house

and from there if I felt going to uni was for me, I could accumulate some savings over the course of some years (all the while still self-teaching myself and working on programming projects), and maybe go to Uni in a few years time.

At the moment, I'm only just able to cover CC costs (and that's without paying rent since I live with my parents).
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.