[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Resume adv for 21

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: res.PNG.png (113KB, 1652x1055px) Image search: [Google]
res.PNG.png
113KB, 1652x1055px
Hey guys I'm seaking some friendly advice

>be 21
>applied to samsung for part time sales rep
>friend recommended me to manager

I applied right when it opened and made a solid cover letter and emailed the regional manager after a week. Didn't even get a fucking email back or any sort of reply and it just filled. Did I come off to strong on the Samsung experience or is my resume complete shit?

Tl:dr why didn't I get hired or even interviewed
>>
There's waaaaaay too much whitespace in there. It feels like you're trying to pad it out. Don't double space *everything*, just leave a line break between separate sections.
>>
>>16800869
Noted thanks. But I feel that doesn't have to do with the reasoning... just feel like complete shit I didn't even get a call or an email
>>
>>16800869
Other than that, the style of it just feels very bland. Honestly I'm not really a fan of the sans serif (especially when bold) or the grey highlights.

You might consider using multiple columns. For your work history, one line could have the company name on the left and the city on the right, and the next line could have your title on the left and the dates on the right. Makes better use of your page space whilst not cramming it in too tight
>>
>>16800879
I know it's stupid, but it's as much about the presentation as it is about the content. People are pretty lazy about reading them, and a bad visual first impression is pretty damning when you've got a huge stack of these to look through
>>
>>16800885
Noted again Thank you.

>>16800892
I realize this but like I said I was guaranteed the first one that applied. Idk why I wasn't even considered given my samsung backround
>>
>>16800909
Impossible to say. Every recruiter looks for different things. The crazy subjectivity of it makes job hunting just a numbers game. Try not to let it get to you.
>>
>>16800855
just my views. this is so subjective though....

objective after name address info
work experience after that. skills after that. education next. achievements next. interests or hobbies last.

In work experience:
position, business
dates (italic)

Also having achievements listed on page one and actually starting on p2 looks sloppy. I'd more the achievements header to start at page 2 in this particular version.

cover letters: use words or phrases used in the job posting like "have direct experience working with samsung products" more or less verbatim. They may run it through bots to key in on keywords they used in the posting to narrow the list of resumes they have to personally look through. It would be read by a person at some point so tailor those phrases into a coherent written letter. Also you can somewhat do this with the resume too.

But ask 10 people on how to write a resume and get 10 different responses. Use what you think is best from the suggestions.

BTW you misspelled seeking. proofread your shit because stuff like that sets you apart in a bad way. ie sloppy work
>>
>>16800934
It sucks so hard though that I wasn't even notified or even remotely responded to. Shit got to me man...

>>16800951
All noted. Thank you for your time and thoughts. I don't know how I managed to miss a typo, I read that shit outloud 20 times
>>
get rid of interests. no one gives a FUCK about that. fit it on one page, you have god damned burger flipping as one of your places of employment. youre not so fucking special that someones going to go through the effort of reading two pages of your life story. get rid of objective, no one does these. but the 'achievements' as bullet points under education. as someone else noted, theres a lot of empty area, especially in the earlier jobs with the job descriptions. try to rewrite the bullet points so that they're a bit for wordy and go the right further. get rid of the double space and move the relevant shit from the second to the single page and you should be set.
>>
>>16800965
Is this the first job you've tried applying to that wasn't an immediate "fill out this application and your hired" type job?

Get used to tossing your resumes and cover letters into blackholes with nothing to show for it. Even if you have an insider recommendation or direct email contact, you get no guarantee of even the faintest acknowledgement these days.

If you want acknowledgement, print out a physical copy of your resume and take it in person with a short selling pitch of yourself in mind. Deliver that to the hiring manager.
>>
>>16800965
sorry not in the resume but in the original post. It's 4chan I know but still. It was a good example of why it's important. I had some little stuff like that in my resume one time for like 3 months worth of applications... proofread at least once. with the resume check it 3 times.

getting those referrals is good too if you can get them. don't be afraid to call up too. just be sure to be asking for a specific person and ask them if they have a few minutes to discuss your application.

Honestly your resume isn't terrible or anything. If I read it I'd see some skills and experience there. Just maybe try to look at it from the perspective of someone who might be looking at 50 resumes and he needs someone who fills a need to be able to do x,y, and z. try to fit your resume and cover letter to that role and why you'd be great at it. Dealing with customer complaints, dealing with cash, or whatever applies, try to bring that out in your description of work experience. Work and skills are probably the key things for the job. Education says you are of this or that caliber really. And then if it goes to HR keywords are gonna be key because most of the time they have no idea about what happens in the actual departments and jobs anyway. When it comes to a department manager they are probably going to be looking at the resume more and so having some stuff outside the key phrases that actually applies to real life work skills would make an impact there.

It's really a retarded game of tightrope balance between passing through HR and still saying something meaningful in the application for the person that makes the final call in the actual department.

Don't feel bad about not even getting a reply. It happens sometimes. Often its just a form letter. Unfortunately IMO all the technology involved in the process really just seems to promote manipulating the system instead of seeking out legitimately qualified individuals.
>>
>>16800934
>>16800909

nah its objectively a shit resume, sorry.
>>
one more thing thats sorta picky and might not really matter is a formatting issue. from my point of view, your job description point are set to far right. i would try to format it so the bullet is directly under the first letter of your position title. for example, under your staples position, the bullet for repaired samsung... (and all the follow bullets) would be directly under the letter E in the Easy Tech. to me it just looks weird that you have so much space to the left of it yet the on the right side your points are lining up with the bar that highlights the titles of the section.

this is COMPLETELY subjective though
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.