[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Dropped a course after a professor told me to, saying he

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 3

File: 1454464752594.png (346KB, 489x520px) Image search: [Google]
1454464752594.png
346KB, 489x520px
>Dropped a course after a professor told me to, saying he discovered evidence of me asking for help on homework on Stack Exchange and that he would fail me if I took it
>Dropped the course. He e-mails me saying this does not resolve anything and wants to meet with me tomorrow before he reports me to the Student Conduct Office

What can I do? Am I going to be expelled?
I am terrified.

I know it was wrong and would never do anything like that again. What can I do?
>>
>>16781268
I mean is it wrong to ask for help?
Its not like you copied the answer right... If your dad was a physics doctorate would asking him for help be cheating.
>>
>>16781268
What the fuck? Were you "asking for help" (i.e. you posted a problem you were having trouble with and asked what the fuck?) or did you get people to do it for you and then plagiarize their answers? Basically, could you plausibly spin this as an attempt to get an explanation on something you were having trouble understanding?

"Asking for help" certainly wouldn't have violated the Code of Conduct at either of the universities I've attended. Please explain the situation a little more.

I really doubt you'll be expelled, though, for this one incident, so stop panicking.
>>
You could still face disciplinary action. Dropping the course does not absolve you of your actions, and it doesn't mean that you won't do this again with other courses. The best thing to do here is to accept responsibility for what you did and express remorse. Do NOT try to make excuses or to shift the blame onto the professor or whatever. Stay consistent within the whole process, don't change your story.
>>
>>16781268
This again.
>>
You'll be fine mate
>>
Hes pulling a power trip. First of all you shouldnt have dropped the course. You should have denied, denied, denied even if he had rhe evidence.

Secondly he wants to meet again? Also...he said it didnt resolve anything after you did what he said? Who the fuck does he think he is? Dude...tell him to fuck off in plain english.

It almost sounds like he wants to bribe you into fucking. Why would he want to meet again before reporting you?

"What would you do anon?" "Anything"
"...anythinggggg" *creepy stare.

What the fuck is wrong with you dude? Use your fucking head.
>>
>>16781283
I'm not sure I agree. Depends on the university and also on the instructor (and on what exactly he did -- his post is pretty unclear) but there's a great deal of difference between "asked for help on an assignment" and "committed plagiarism."

Also, frankly, I don't think much of a professor basically intimidating a student into dropping their class without at least the formality of a meeting first. If any of my professors had ever said anything like that to me, especially if I felt there had been any miscommunication as to their policies, I would have told them, "Fuck you, I have the right to explain myself before having a judgment of that magnitude rendered. We're taking this through the proper channels; please contact the Dean of Students." Couched more diplomatically, of course.
>>
>>16781273
Well I posted some homework questions on Stack Exchange and then read the answers, then rewrote them in my own words. But because these are math problems, my answers were probably extremely close to the ones given to me by the site (which gives proofs).

>>16781279
I was trying to get an explanation, yes, but when the people on the site gave me answers, I tried to rewrite them in my own words but my answers probably resembled the ones on the site way too closely and that's how it was found.

>>16781283
I know that. In my email to the professor, I explained how after talking with my advisor, I now understand that what I did was against the university code. I went on to say how ashamed I feel, how sorry and unable to function I am, and how after this very stressful ordeal I would engage in anything like this again.

I also intend to bring an apology letter to meeting with him tomorrow.

Is there anything else I can do?

>>16781285
Yes but I have much more information now and I am still scared out of my mind. I just want to keep attending this university and hopefully not get a line on my transcript that would bar me from employment for life.

Anything else I should do?
>>
>>16781285
Oh, is this a troll thread?
>>
>>16781319
>please contact the Dean of Students
This. Also OP, save your emails and show them to the Dean.
>>
>>16781323
>explained how after talking with my advisor, I now understand that what I did was against the university code. I went on to say how ashamed I feel, how sorry
Dumbass. Three rules when accused of anything
DENY, DENY, DENY.
Pick your story and stick to it, then use every dirty fucking trick in the book to avoid the consequences of your actions. It's like you're not even a real cheater.
>>
>>16781315
Well he included in his e-mail.

"I noticed that you have dropped my course. This was a very wise move for you."

I dropped it because he had told me to in the last e-mail, saying that "upon reviewing my file", my grades in the prerequisite course were inadequate, I had performed very poorly so far in the semester, and that it would be "pretty much impossible for you to do well in this course at this point. After dropping, I recommend speaking with an advisor to reevaluate your major and consider your options."
>>
>>16781323
Just tell the professor that you could work out that proof again on your own and that its your own words.
>>
>>16781319
I was assuming that OP did something serious, based on how much he is freaking out about this. Judging by >>16781323 he does seem to have messed up. I do think the professor went about this the wrong way, but OP does seem to have done something wrong from what he said.

Anyway, my advice was just based on what I've learnt about facing disciplinary proceedings, because it sounds like his professor is incredibly keen to get him there.
>>
>>16781329
No, I was here yesterday and freaking out over the same thing, but that was before anyone had responded to my e-mails and I all I had then was one ominous email saying that I was in big trouble for cheating and people would get back to me at a later time to explain the consequences.

>>16781337
I know, but I have been somewhat careful in that I haven't exactly stated what I did, just that I am very sorry and didn't realize that what I did was wrong. I can't outright deny using the website as that would be easy enough to prove.
>>
>>16781338
Geez Louise, math teachers are mean.

Isn't there a law that teachers can't know your grades from other teachers
>>
>Ask for community based help
>Rephrase correct answers, I.E. explain information in your own words accurately
>Professor says thats "cheating"
>OP drops course like a dumbass
>Thinks the "student conduct" office actually does fucking anything
You're a sucker of acamedia, OP.
>>
>>16781354
>Isn't there a law that teachers can't know your grades from other teachers
I'm fairly certain your academic history is fair game among teachers. How else are they going to know if you've met the prerequisites to their course?
>>
>>16781357
Look I'm not going to continue trying to take a course that a professor has explicitly said he's going to fail me in when there are other options of courses that cover the same material and credit taught by other professors, but at a slightly easier level (this is a graduate course, the undergraduate version gives me the same credit but the material is a little easier and I am an undergraduate so it's ok).

I sent an e-mail to the undergraduate department chair saying that I wanted to meet with him and try to add the undergraduate version of the class, saying that following the advise of my professor and advisor I would be better off in that class, which is all true.
>>
>>16781361
The chair of the department is the only one with access to grades in their department. The teacher can only ask him. In general its run through when you apply for a course and many unis but the chair usually assumes advisors know what they are doing.
I dont know how much an advisor can see because my advisor was the chair.
>>
>>16781341
I agree that he messed up, based on the story. It sounds like it was an honest mistake, which is really his best defense here; I agree that he should be contrite, but he shouldn't self-flagellate here or admit to to anything further than he already has. Basically, I'd email the professor or visit him in person and say something along the lines of,

"I'm sorry. It was an honest mistake. I understand now that what I did was against school policy; at the time I was only trying to get some help understanding the material. I did not intend to commit plagiarism. I would like to have this matter handled further by the (Dean of Students, Honor Board, Ethics Board, whoever handles this at your school.)"

After that, I personally would take the initiative in getting in contact with the Dean etc -- not trying to get your version of the story there before the prof's, they'll see right through that, but it looks better to actively contact them and get them to explain the process and what they require from you, rather than making them catch and drag you to them.

I can't make any promises, OP, but I really, really, really doubt you'll get expelled over this, and probably won't face any serious consequences beyond having to drop the class. This isn't that huge a deal; they face far more blatant cases of plagiarism quite frequently, I can promise. You will be given the chance to explain yourself. Just be polite and contrite and keep your head when you do.
>>
>>16781377
Well the teacher obviously asked the chair because he was concerned that you were struggling (probably based on the posts you made), and that's how he access to your grades.

I don't quite understand why you'd take a postgraduate course if you didn't have to, anyway
>>
>>16781404
The chair cant discuss grades with other professors. Only that teacher that gave the grade and the student. Again I dont know where the advisors power ends. But courses have prerequisites and when a student is doing poorly the professor is required to report about it so that they cant just fail a student without proving its not their fault for being a shitty teacher. When it was reported the chair probably looked at his grades and said they werent adequate. There are certain classes that you need more than a passing grade for. Like for majors D's will give you the credit but not for the major. Sometimes to go into a major you need a b- in the intro courses. The D cant be overlooked but the c's can.
>>
>>16781397
Oh, don't get me wrong - I wasn't suggesting that he make it sound worse than it actually was.

And I wouldn't suggest talking to the Dean or whoever until he's actually had the meeting with the teacher. If the teacher suggests that he's going to contact the Dean or disciplinary board during the meeting, then he should, but not before he's had the meeting.
>>
>>16781338
Thats when you should have said "thanks for the advise but 1) I paid good money for this 2) im not a quitter, even if failure is imminent.

See you on monday

Regards,
Pussy.
>>
>>16781422
I understand how it works with some passing grades not being enough. But I don't think that teachers wouldn't have any access whatsoever to academic histories. I've had professors print a copy of mine off in the comfort of their own offices when I went to see them about things because it's relevant to the meeting. At the very least, they'd be able to ask someone about a student's grades if it's relevant to something.
>>
>>16781436
That's what happened. I got a C- in the prerequisite, a year and a half ago, but have since then reread the textbook and reviewed the material thoroughly so I thought I was ok to take it.

The undergraduate department chair has been in contact with me and the professor. We know that already.
>>
>>16781436
No like they legally cant. Its a confidentiality thing. Only the chair has direct access. I know this because a student tried to sue the school once because his grades got out. And the professors in the department explained what their power to see grades were.
>>
>>16781443
So what does this discussion have to do with anything?
>>
>>16781456
I don't know.

It's relevant because a year ago, a similar thing happened, but nobody spoke to me about it.
I just saw a failed grade for my course, then went abroad for 8 months and when I came back, the professor had moved universities and it was like it had never happened, but I'm pretty sure the reason for failing it was because I had been suspected of posting online. I have no idea though. That would be why having the department chair involved would affect this.
>>
>>16781452
I highly doubt that's the case, there was probably some misinterpretation or a case of Chinese whispers somewhere in there. Where do you live? Also, was that student successful in suing?
>>
Explain yourself.

Be honest.

Be humble.

If you can get away with a dropped class then be grateful.

Don't ask for explicit answers on the internet next time. Try to ask for help *understanding* the material.
>>
By admitting fault you've already fucked yourself over, OP.
They couldn't prove anything beyond a doubt but now they have your confession.
All you can do now is pray that they don't overreact and suspend you for a semester or kick you out of the university for good.
>>
>>16781462
Look, just go to the meeting tomorrow. If he reports you and you go through disciplinary proceedings, follow the advice I posted here >>16781283.
>>
>>16781423
That's fair. I interpreted his OP to mean that his professor had indicated that he absolutely was going to notify the board, but you're right that it's not a certainty. So yeah, I'd hold off on doing all that shit I posted until after the meeting tomorrow. As for the meeting itself, I do think "contrite, polite, respectful, but don't admit to anything further and don't lose your head" is the best policy.

If there's a chance this never has to go before the Dean or whatever then fantastic -- from what I'm hearing, I kinda think it probably will, but if his professor's willing to let him off with a stern lecture I certainly don't want him to insist on carrying the matter further!
>>
wtf school do you go to? i go to a big 10 university in the states and most of my homework is literally 90% copied from google searches, i'm also a CS major (which i assume you are as well)

the worst i've ever gotten was them emailing me and telling me to take assignments off my non private github because students were turning them in..
>>
>>16781464
More confidentiality about it. But it was very clear and explained. Only the chair has access. Its also in our handbook. Just no student actually reads the 500 page thing.
As far as the student it was assumed that it was another student who blabbed about it. He was in a similar situation to OP where he was caught cheating and we have a student board that reviews cases and gets to decide the severity of the case. In this case the punishment was failing the course. It got out that he failed the course. Now from what I heard there was a snitch on the board (I know the snitch) but Im not sure what happened to them.
>>
def kitty(name):
print ('Your kitty is named', name ,'. What a cool name!')
def kittyname():
name = input("What is your kitty's name?")
kitty(name)
return(name)
kittyname()

Here's a free python program that will make you A's!
>>
>>16781488
You're not OP. You're not attending his university. You don't even know if you're in the same country as OP.

And basically, this has nothing to do with OP's problem.
>>
>>16781489
def kitty(name):
puts "Your kitty is named', name ,'. What a cool name!"
def kittyname():
kitty(name)
return name
kittyname()

i made it into a ruby program for you, free of charge.
>>
>>16781501
And in brainfuck:

]<<+>[-<->>>[>>>]>[->+>>+<<<]>[-<+>]>>[-[->>+<<]+>>]+>[->+<]>
[-<+>>>[-]+<<]+>>[-<<->>]<<<<[->>[-<<+>>]<<<<]>>[-<<<<<+>>>>>]<<<<<<<[
>>[-<<<+>>>]<<<<<]+>>[>-->+<[>-]>[-<<->>>]<<+>+<[>-]>[-<<+>>>]<<+<[->>
>+<<<]>>>]<]<--->+<[>-]>[->>[>>>]>+<<<<[<<<]>>]<<->+<[>-]>[->>[>>>]>-<
<<<[<<<]>>]<<->+<[>-]>[->>[>>>]>[->+>>+<<<]>[-<+>]>>[-[->>+<<]+>>]+>+<
[-<<]<<<<<[<<<]>>]<<->+<[>-]>[->>[>>>]>[->+>>+<<<]>[-<+>]>>[-[->>+<<]+
>>]+>-<[-<<]<<<<<[<<<]>>]<<->+<[>-]>[->>[>>>]

Isn't this fun?
>>
>>16781495
Well its a US law thing. There a national laws about colleges because its to keep private colleges in line about how they handle thing so that they cant do whatever they want like in this case spread a students grades. I dont know if hes in the states though. Was assuming he was. And its an answer to question relevant to the thread. Dont be so butthurt about it.
>>
>>16781517
US law varies from state to state. I can't find anything solid about the subject, but these two links suggest that it may be possible to share grades if a teacher needs to
>https://www.quora.com/Can-US-college-professors-see-the-grades-their-students-received-in-other-classes
>http://academia.stackexchange.com/questions/1312/who-can-see-a-students-grades
It really seems to vary from university to university. I haven't seen any one law about it, not even from the US
>>
>>16781515
I prefer my version 2

def kittyname():
catname = open("catname.txt","w")
lines = ('Your kitty is named ', name ,'. What a cool name!')
catname.writelines(lines)
catname.close()
return(name)

kittyname()
>>
>>16781532
They literally say the exact same thing Ive been saying. If you want to know a students performance you have to go to the chair. I wasnt aware that you read every law in the US.
>>
>>16781474
I'm a math major. This is an ivy league school but I'd rather not say which here.
>>
>>16781544
OP's implied that they did go through the chair or whoever they were supposed to. See >>16781436 and >>16781443

I really don't know what point you're trying to make
>>
File: cesar-millan.jpg (37KB, 300x400px) Image search: [Google]
cesar-millan.jpg
37KB, 300x400px
>>16781547
>Ivy League
>has to cheat

Affirmative action at its best

def OP():
print("OP is a faggot")

OP()
>>
>>16781548
Im responding to the person questioning the if a professor can see your grades. Is it really that hard for you to follow a conversation.
>>
>>16781567
Jamal got in on his basketball scholarship not his SAT score
>>
File: 1367966458236.jpg (70KB, 399x382px) Image search: [Google]
1367966458236.jpg
70KB, 399x382px
>not planting cp on his computer and getting him arrested

Only course of action to take
>>
>>16781567
And the answer is yes, if they go through the appropriate avenues. Which is what OP's teacher did. What part of this is so hard for you to understand?
>>
>>16781575
One they cant see your exact grade. The chair only tells what is needed. 2 Im explaining to someone else. If youre this stupid and cant follow a conversation please leavel.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.