[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Theres a women's group that meets in my neighborhood, I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

File: tumblr_mcbu904yx41rhtyodo1_500.gif (35KB, 416x553px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mcbu904yx41rhtyodo1_500.gif
35KB, 416x553px
Theres a women's group that meets in my neighborhood, I attend their meetings regularly. One of the members brought a guest to the a group... she was dressed very reserved and looked to be asian american. During discussion time she seemed detached and disengaged the whole time, at one point she opened a laptop and started playing some sort of game. When we began discussing topics about the struggles of overweight women, she still just ignored the discussion and seemed like she didn't want to be there. Her friend kept nudging her to join the discussion but she almost seemed to be annoyed by the whole thing even though the issues we were discussing should have been important to her. When they left I approached her friend and her and asked how they liked the meeting, her friend was excited and happy to see a women's group being started in our town, the girl in question just shrugged and wouldn't say anything until I prodded a little, then she just said "The food was ok" and that was it.
How could she not be interested in these issues? I am sure she had to have struggled with them being a minority, overweight, and a woman. She seemed so disconnected and disinterested... could it have been she was just uncomfortable? her friend is going to try to bring her again, but it won't do any good if we can't reach her... what should the group do to perhaps... ease her in better? or make her more interested?
Other places I have asked for advice told me she is likely ignorant, or doesn't care about the discussion... some people on tumblr said she likely has internalized misogyny... but to be honest, I think she might have just been bored. I don't know... my group needs all the members it can get.
>>
Are you sure it was a woman? Asians all look the same.
>>
It's understandable that you would want to involve her and keep her coming back, but honestly group therapy or support groups aren't for everyone. Without knowing why she was disinterested you can't know what to do.

All you really can do is talk to her like you did. Be polite and nice and hope she gets more involved.
>>
>>16772900
Honestly I understand her position. When I was younger I was much more passionate about it, but now I realize it doesn't matter. People just want to talk without making a difference. They just want to vent.
>>
>discussing topics about the struggles of overweight women

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

What the fuck is it with women and needing "discussion groups" for everything?

Has the thought of taking initiative or doing things on your own just never occurred to you?
>>
>>16772900
Maybe she's just not interested in the group. Don't assume someone is struggling because they're a minority or a woman, it's racist/sexist to assume things like that. Maybe she's just genuinely not interested. I understand slight concern but you can't force her to be interested in something. Wanting to help is good, but don't let it turn into trying to control someone. If she doesn't want to be involved, leave her alone.
>>
>>16772900
Sounds like she's bored. Just because these are issues that might affect her doesn't mean that she's automatically interested in them. I like politics, and I think of political issues as being extremely important, but I understand when people don't want to talk about it even when it affects them because for some it's just not that interesting.

Unfortunately trying to "get" them interested usually only drives them away faster. If you really want her to join in then talk to her about other things and find out what she's really into. If it's gaming then connect with her for a while over that and then show her how your interest relates to that. If she still pushes back then, then she's clearly never going to be interested, but you never know.
>>
>>16772964
This

If you're trying to get guaranteed responses OP, you picked the wrong board, /adv/ is full of normalfags who actually want and give anonymous advice
>>
>>16772964
this
>>
>>16772900
>Womens discussion group
Fucking lol.
>>
>>16772900
Regardless of your good intentions, this group just isn't for her. You can't recruit every member that comes your way. Let this one go. It sounds like she was unbelievably rude anyway.
>>
I sense the problem is that you're being a matronizing asshole, here.

>How could she not be interested in these issues?

Not everyone is interested in circlejerking about identity politics. She was likely just bored.

>I am sure she had to have struggled with them being a minority, overweight, and a woman.

Some people don't struggle with this stuff. Internalized victimization is a choice. Coming at her and pressuring her into being a victim is likely going to be more destructive to her self-esteem than being in a position where you're stronger than the issue.

>it won't do any good if we can't reach her... what should the group do to perhaps... ease her in better? or make her more interested?

This is called "concern trolling", where you pretend to be concerned about someone, but really it's just a way of forcing your own ideology on them. You don't care about her, you just want to indoctrinate her into your little clique. Are you so sure she has a problem? Or does it simply hurt you to watch a strong, beautiful woman be able to move past these issues with ease?

Perhaps you should be listening to her, instead of trying to force her to listen.
>>
>>16773000
PUT HER ON BLAST, SENPAI
>>
>>16773008
I wonder... FaM
>>
>>16772910
Hue hue hue
>>
>>16772900
>discussing topics about the struggles of overweight women

This is totally a shit topic. Probably only landwhales from tumblr are interested about this crap, asian chick doesnt care cause probably she can loose weight any time she wants and it isnt a big problem for her.
>>
File: 1453087613244.jpg (23KB, 535x425px) Image search: [Google]
1453087613244.jpg
23KB, 535x425px
>>16772900
Id be pissed off too to if my so called 'friend' took me to a radical feminist sjw bitch fit circle.
>>
>>16773128
>all asians are thin
go outside
>>
>>16772967
That is a great idea, there are plenty of topics that involve gaming. I am sure she has some concerns, in past meetings I've expressed concerns with gaming culture and lack of representation.
>>16773000
We aren't circlejerking identity politics, we're discussing politics in relation to women, we engage in discussions about the weight and implications of media, and their affect on us as women, this is just a small portion of what we do as we also discuss other areas such as women's issues over seas and women's issues in the dating game and other topics... as for "internalized victimization" no one chooses to be a victim, you become one when you are made into one, and I am genuinely concerned for her, she obviously had a hard life, its not easy being a woman of her stature in this world, or a woman in general... her friend has told me a little about her, and it sounds like all she needs is to open up and needs a place to be able to.
>>16773135
Its not a bitch fit circle... there is no bitching, only discussion of relevant topics, men have groups like ours we merely wanted the same.
>>
>>16773135
That would be hilarious yet cringe worthy. Like a bad Nicolas Cage movie. I know I should look away but I'd be so intrigued by the absurdity.
>>
>>16772900
So of course this thread is filled with the usual jackass responses about women's groups. How shocking.
Anyway, you're way too upset about this OP. For all you know about this girl she could be the painfully shy type who doesn't handle being in large groups of strangers too well. I know I hate it, even when it's something related to topics I'm interested in.
Give her time, if she keeps coming back that means she's into it and really wants to give things a shot. In which case, don't immediately glom onto her with a million questions. Polite "hellos" and "how are yous" are enough.
If she doesn't come back, oh well. Just let it go.
>>
File: 1454444752523.png (79KB, 280x402px) Image search: [Google]
1454444752523.png
79KB, 280x402px
>>16773318
>idenity political bitch fits
>relevent
>>
I'm calling bullshit.

Where would you find a CHUBBY Asian girl? The fattest one I know is maybe 15 lbs overweight, at most.
>>
>>16772900

She's not overweight and comes from a culture where men don't actually make any attempts at gettin' women.

Hikkimori or whatever that shit called. Grass-eaters.

So, I got some ideas;
>She wanted to hang out and chill, realised you a very different people and she might not actually agree with some f the things you say - BUT REALISED you were the dogmatic type of people who feel the need to push their thoughts and beliefs onto others so she kept her own mouth shut. Or as you would call it, "internalised misogyny".
>She does not want to blame men or push them away, taking part in expanding some divide between the genders.
>She shy. Nothin' wrong with that. maybe she just doesn't really have anything to say. If that's the case, stop tryin' to make her someone she's not.
>She thinks fat people are unhealthy as shit and complaining aint gonna stop a heartattack.

Really, there are endless reasons... at the end of the day though, you can only find out by asking...

And if she doesn't feel comfortable talkin' to you guys about it... well, you could always blame the patriarchy, shame her as "part of the problem not the solution" and continue to question why no one accepts your dogmatism.
>>
>>16773335
>So of course this thread is filled with the usual jackass responses about women's groups.

The past few decades:
>OMG I'm strong and indypyndnat, STOP HOLDING DOORS OPEN FOR ME (even though you do that for guys too bcuz it's polite...) IT'S SEXISMMM!.
>WHERE CHIVARLY GONE?

>We want nice guys.
.NICE GUYS ARE CREEPS.

>ALL MEN ARE PIGS WHO JUST WANT ONE THING.
>#notallwomen #ENDSEXISMNOAW #male tears.

But, yeah... sure... it's our fault you gave yourself's a horrible reputation as hypocrites, hate-mongers, liars and bitches.

Joke's on you... blame aint gonna stop us from thinkin' the way we do - mostly because we're used to it - everything is our fault.
>>
as a woman that thinks these kind of groups are pointless, i would most likely act the same, albeit not as rude.

i tried going to a few groups in the past and none of these groups ever really do anything to make a difference, just complain.
>>
>>16772900
You probably shouldn't be serving food to a bunch of overweight retards.

Also fuck off
>>
>>16773318
>you become one when you are made into one

that's 100% wrong. Being a victim is a choice you make, you have the power to self-identify as whatever you want; victim, survivor, a loser, a conqueror. Trying to destroy someone else's self-identification as strong and powerful is precisely the meaning of "degradation", and it's utterly shitty that you're trying to do it. I get you don't understand what you're doing here, but you're ultimately degrading her to feel better about yourself, and it's stupid, harmful, selfish, shameful behavior.

Bring this shit up at your next meeting and see how the others react.
>>
>>16773318

The thing is that most of these "problems" are actually phantoms invented by resentful privileged women who need something external to blame for their failings. This woman sees through your bullshit and is probably too strong and independent to get caught up in the nonsense.
>>
>>16773458
Yeah, another shocker this one...
>>
>>16773318
>irritating feministjusticewarrior in denial detected

holy shit sounds like a nightmare sjw bullshit is the worst im surprised the guest dying of boredom did not go into cardiac arrest. hope you realise that burdening someone with supposed 'women' problems is rude.
>>
File: sooth-crying-baby.jpg (15KB, 635x414px) Image search: [Google]
sooth-crying-baby.jpg
15KB, 635x414px
>>16773335

>So of course this thread is filled with the usual jackass responses about women's groups.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAH! SOMEONE MADE FUN OF MY CUNT CLUB ON THE INTERNET! MAKE IT STOP!
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.