[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Attn grammar buffs: is my professor making shit up? I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_20160204_122400.jpg (2MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160204_122400.jpg
2MB, 3024x4032px
Attn grammar buffs: is my professor making shit up?

I'm a college senior in a writing intensive major, and I needed an upper division English credit to finish up my degree.

One of the course options was grammar related, so I figured it'd be simple shit, but this is a page from the text. I've never seen this. The professor called it "non-traditional." He wrote this text.

I go to a real four-year public university, and this guy has been teaching there for decades, but this looks like it could be some bullshit.

Is something fishy or am I just a grammer pleb?
>>
I know how to diagram sentences but this is something else.
>>
>>16768610
any more information/context on that stuff ? or at least what t, T, s, Af, v, K, etc means ?
but it kinda makes sense, ever had any class on formal languages ?
>>
>>16768610
what the fuck does T-yes/no mean?

like, i understand formation of a question with his 1-2-3 to 2-1-3
>>
i think i got it. just take another look, it's not that hard, just some simple transformation rules.
looks fun, are there any exercises to do ?
>>
>>16768610

This is crazy. I've only ever heard about these things happening in Private/Catholic/Boarding Schools. Funny enough I, as an English Major, took a Math pre-req my final semester and it was similar.

This is what happens when they don't dig far enough to find that your professor has done far too many drugs in his lifetime, may have a mental disorder, and definitely has a book to sell.
>>
File: IMG_20160204_133451.jpg (2MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160204_133451.jpg
2MB, 3024x4032px
This is the beginning of the chapter. Some of the abbreviations are explained earlier in the book, but still.

I'm really thinking this is shit he made up that's he's teaching out of a book he wrote, which ≠ education.

I mean, is a professor allowed to teach a theory he came up with that nobody else uses?
>>
>>16768693
My issue isn't whether or not it's possible; I'm sure it works. It just seems like something this guy fabricated.
>>
File: giphy__5_.gif (746KB, 177x177px) Image search: [Google]
giphy__5_.gif
746KB, 177x177px
>>16768610
I feel like it means something

But like

What?
>>
>>16768712
thats not made up shit, it's related to formal language theory (we work with formal languages/grammars in CS)
>>
>>16768726
This is the kind of information I was looking for, thanks.

I feel like "fundamental English grammar" is a kind of misleading course name, given the content, but so long as it isn't pulled directly from the instructor's ass, guess I'll suck it up and re-learn my native language for the sake of three credit hours I could have spent reading Shakespeare instead.
>>
>>16768712
the first "application" doesn't make any sense. nothing changed from "kts" to his transformation unless he's under the impression that someone might mistakenly use the past tense form of "sea" and would need to refer to his method to correct their mistake.

>she being drive fast.
>i shall have being study.

the fuck is this? "here's a sentence written by a five month old fetus. here's how we decipher it."
>>
>>16768755
can you post the rest of the assignment ? it's kinda interesting (at least for me), never seen formal language theory applied to natural languages because, even though it was invented to formalise natural languages they failed to do it.
>>
>>16768610
>non-traditional
>making shit up
Synonymous desu.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.