[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The thread 404'd real fast I work in retail as a cashier.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (29KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
29KB, 200x200px
The thread 404'd real fast

I work in retail as a cashier. Most customers appear inconvenienced by the new chip card technology. The most common thing I say at work is how to instruct a customer to use a chip card. Most people don't know how. Also, why do customers try to operate the pad so fast that they don't know what buttons they're even pressing? It's a LITTLE CONFUSING, but if you go slow and read the prompts carefully, you're golden.

So why are they inconvencied by something so little? All you have to do is leave the chip card in for a few seconds and maybe provide a signature. Have people really become this impatient? You'd think they'd exercise a little caution when making important purchases
>>
If you're going to rant about idiots, you should at least know that "advice" is not synonymous with "whining." Chips are a lot newer than the English language. What's your excuse with failing at the latter?
>>
>>16764394

Of all of the first world problems I've heard of, this one takes the cake.

It's a reasonably new tech in something that consumers have been using for almost 40 years now in a different way. Honestly, I'd only ever seen it in the UK until late last year, and only one store I have been to since I got my chipped cards has bothered to have me use the chip.

Sounds like your store is one of those few places, therefore people don't use it much.
>>
>>16764394
The technology has been in common use in Europe for a few years, but is just being introduced in the USA. People who only know the old way of using credit cards simply don't know what to do.

"Put the card in that slot in the reader - here, I'll help you - and then just follow the instructions on the screen"
>>
File: 1447791411053.png (460KB, 454x640px) Image search: [Google]
1447791411053.png
460KB, 454x640px
>>16764394
Because it isn't expedient and offers no real advantage for the added checkout time. What did you need advice on again?
>>
>>16764424
I wasn't complaining outright. Just wanted to know why people are impatient

>>16764413
At least it's not another relationship thread.

>>16764434
I do physically come over and help them if they let me! They like that

>>16764437
I need advice on relationships!
Kidding. I do think the name of this board should be changed to suit its most common threads though
>>
>>16764446

Comes with the occupation, I'm afraid. I have to cover for cashiers every now and then it's something that just happens with everything else when you're dealing with people who rather be elsewhere as soon as possible.

Hell, you work at retail too. You should know this shit by now - the biggest challenge in this kind of jobs is staying positive given the scumbaggery you'll face on a daily basis.
>>
>>16764467
It's no problem staying positive. I love my job because I love meeting people and helping them. Plus my coworkers are friendly and nice. I just try to take care of the customers (individually) as best I can, stay calm if something goes wrong (especially if it's not my fault), and everything seems to fall into place
>>
>>16764474

Then all is good, brotha. If their annoyance really bother you that much, you can always turn the whole thing into banter about "them card makers am I right" and what not.

People will whine, son. This a board based on that fact, actually.
>>
In Canada we've had chip readers for years. Every card has one. If I see a card that doesn't have one, the customer usually says they're from the US.

Still, this happens about 10 times every shift.

>"insert your chip at the bottom when it prompts you"
>customer tries swiping when i literally just fucking told them to insert it
>is shocked when terminal says ERROR USE CHIP READER
>>
>>16764553
I actually do that. I try to find common ground that we can agree on and shift it away from revealing too-personal information about either of us.

>This a board based on whining
Yeah I know, I've been lurking here for years

>>16764573
LOL this has happened to me too but not with the frequency that you experience
>>
>>16764573
People don't put too much focus on things they've done for years and react strangely to new processes.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.