[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>finish degree in finance with 3.7/4 GPA at top university

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

File: 1234.jpg (9KB, 206x245px) Image search: [Google]
1234.jpg
9KB, 206x245px
>finish degree in finance with 3.7/4 GPA at top university
>Huge number of extracurricular activities
>President of Business faculty
>Did an internship at a hedge fund, offered me a full time gig when I finish my degree.
>2 weeks into full time work
>hate my life and want to kill myself

I loved finance at university, but I am so sick of working in the industry and its been 2 weeks. Is it wise to quit to pursuit happiness in studying for a PhD to teach? I feel like I'm not learning anything, getting dumber and feeling the dullness getting too much...

Is there anyone else who has experienced this straight after university? I really need some advice - Should I leave?
>>
If you leave are you aware it will be very hard to find a new job?
>>
>>16762160

I don't want a new job. I'll go back to studying.
>>
>>16762175
> Ahhh, here we see the lifelong student in the wild. Watch as he hunts spare change from his couch to buy ramen, so that he may continue to live another day.
>>
>>16762238

Well I plan to lecture so I go ahead with it..should I just stick with the job? I honestly hate it.
>>
give it some more time at least, it might just be an adjustment period

finance though dude, what a shit industry. don't lose your humanity.
>>
>>16762275

I work as an investment analysis, so its somewhat interesting but I just feel so depressed. The travel is fucked too.
>>
>>16762141
>I loved finance at university, but I am so sick of working in the industry and its been 2 weeks.
It's only been two weeks. At this point it would be almost inpossible ti distinguish genuine hate for the industry for a poorly-timed rough patch.

My advice is to give it a year. If you still hate it, then quit. Alternatively, see if you can do a part-time graduate program as you work; it may give you the recharge you need to function in the industry.
>>
>>16762330

As in a part time degree? Nothing seems to be able to allow me to study in the evenings and still work full time -- I live in Australia and all the part time programs I looked into have day classes.
>>
Working sucks, we all know that. Everyone has to work though... Suck it up. You'll appreciate the paycheck. If you feel the same six months or a year later then consider some new plans.
>>
>>16762275
How does finance make you lose your humanity?
>>
>>16762354

I really wanted to grow both career wise and academically - I rejected an offer to study a research masters for this job so I don't know what to do to achieve both goals.
>>
Keep working
>>
>>16762386

Why?
>>
>>16762330

Actually - What about professional programs like the CFA? I think they're self study?
>>
>>16762394
Money buy things, one of those things that buy is time.
spend some time working, grab money and then have more spare time to do what you want to do without the stress if being broke.
>>
>>16762411

I'd rather be broke living with my parents compared to working in a job that literally makes me depressed.
>>
>>16762453
Why don't become a finance teacher, you'll probably make less money but your skills wont go to waste, and maybe helping people achieve their goals will be what some people call "fulfilling"?
>>
>>16762687
Not OP, but this could be a good idea. I assume you mean high school though, which would mean OP would have to get a teaching license for that. That should only take a year since he has a degree. At least that's how it could work at my college.
>>
>>16762714
It's better than killing yourself.
>>
How much are you making a year OP?

Maybe you should start your own business. Get some of your collegues involved. Save aggressively until you have a decent pool of money to put into your own small business and use the "boring" hours at your work planning the entire process.
>>
Whats so bad about the job OP?

probably cant give you advice but just curious
>>
Look, it's the worlds most spoiled boy.
>>
>>16762821

$52,000 with bonus - I wanted to start my own fund and run it in a much more efficient way but you need a decade worth of experience and probably a graduate degree for that.

>>16762923

Lack of work because I'm a fresh analyst and the work given to me is extremely dull

>>16762962

I worked really hard and had nothing to get to here
>>
>>16763097
Most people work harder and have less.
>>
>>16762141
Sorry your first job sucks. What is it about this job/industry that you hate? What made you like it in college?

Be aware that you may just work for a shitty company or that you may be too intelligent for your current position (this would account for your boredom). Try to network and get a feel for where you could move in the company or get promoted to. If you think the specific company is a bad fit for you, you may also want to start seeing what other jobs are out there.

Something similar happened to me right out of college. I ended up loving the job (although it was stressful, time-consuming, and difficult) but I loathed management. I stuck it out a year and then started my own business. I think what helped me get through that year was setting goals of what I wanted to learn and accomplish while still in that position.

>Is it wise to quit to pursuit happiness in studying for a PhD to teach?
Not really. Assuming you get your PhD and go on to teach, you'll be pigeonholed in that role, and there isn't much upward mobility from there. Also, teaching is kind of saturated at the moment and underpaid.
>>
>>16762141
I know that feeling. I think you're just getting used to working to be honest.

>got a BS in bio
>some how landed a 40 k job right out of school
>at first I fucking hated it
>however after about a month, and I got used to working, I started to really like it
>now work as a senior lab tech and love it

If your problem is that you're not doing research or something of that nature then maybe because the industry is about making money at the lowest cost possible.
>>
>>16763109

So I'm spoiled because despite my hard work and dedication I ended up with a job that kills my soul?

>>16763146

Hedge funds are usually smaller companies to work for. I work in a company of literally 5 people.

I just feel like I've missed out on the opportunities others are going through at larger corporations. No one in this building or in my company is my age - I really liked finance in university because it was interesting to think that one day I could be doing indepth quantitative analysis. The role turned out to be a dull and repetitive lowly excuse for an investment analyst.

I also hate the lack of interaction with others. I love being on the road and meeting people - or selling and promote the product. Instead I sit on a computer all day.
>>
>>16763097
>Lack of work because I'm a fresh analyst and the work given to me is extremely dull

Okay, OP, you really are spoiled.

This is pretty normal. You're new so they aren't going to give you anything too important in case you screw up.

The solution: Prove you aren't a screw-up. Do everything well - and quickly so you don't drive yourself insane. Figure out what other people are doing and ask to help out on projects that you find interesting.

Once others have some faith in your abilities, you'll be given more interesting and important projects
>>
>>16763163

I just can't see myself doing this for 45 years then preparing for my grave. If I had more of a hands on role, talking to people and making things happen then I'd be happy.

Theres also the feeling that I'm missing out on achieving my academic goals, like getting a masters and a PhD. It's very difficult to get such degrees when you commence full time work.
>>
File: 1449790256577.jpg (494KB, 2000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1449790256577.jpg
494KB, 2000x1500px
>>16763180
Sometimes the industry just isn't for some people man. It's about making money at the end of the day which I get ticks off a lot of people. Honestly when I was in university I remember thinking I would be super happy if I got a job that was a 9-5.

I personally plan on retiring at 50 so just save up your money.

As for getting a PhD I dunno man. Most universities don't give a single fuck that you have a degree from Harvard they want to see that you have industry experience as well. In fact it's VERY difficult to get a teaching position without some aid from the industry.

Honestly I think you're romanticizing the idea of getting a PhD to teach. It's a bitch of a job and the Dean can fire you pretty much at any time. Also they don't care if you find the cure for aids they want to know how much money you've brought in and how much attention your publications received. In addition students are, for lack of a better word, cocksuckers to the biggest degree.
>>
>>16763169
>I just feel like I've missed out on the opportunities others are going through at larger corporations.

There's good and bad about working with both large and small organizations. If it's any consolation, I have a friend working at a large corporation, and he's experiencing the same frustrations you are - age difference, boring work, and furthermore no recognition for when he does do an important project really well. He also has issues with lack of interaction since he doesn't really work with anyone who is actually in the same office he is - everyone he actually works with is in a different state or country.

I think where you messed up is you didn't vet the company properly for the experience you're looking for. This is pretty understandable as this is your first job. Try to wait out a year (or at the very least six months).

If you really do like the sales aspect of things, you shouldn't have difficulty finding a different job. I'm not sure what finance sales would be like, but I'm sure there's something like that out there. You should take a look at what other jobs you could take on before considering going back to school.

In the meantime, keep the job for at least a year UNLESS you can jump right over into another job.
>>
>>16762141
You are doing the Devil's work, that is why you hate your life. Go for that PhD or go to work for a good non-profit
>>
>>16762141
That's what you're supposed to figure out in college: how to deal with the daily grind of normal working adult life. But no one really tells you this.

Check out this short speech that breaks it down: https://vimeo.com/68855377
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.