[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any hints or ideas? I know to use a force balance involving tension,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: PithBall.png (11KB, 654x248px) Image search: [Google]
PithBall.png
11KB, 654x248px
Any hints or ideas? I know to use a force balance involving tension, force of gravity, and electric force but then from there i'm confused.
>>
>>16761528
I think that small car should be driving on the road. Try penciling it in.
>>
>>16761554
sounds about right
>>
You were probably under the impression that you would get useful information form these retards, you were wrong. Go to sci.
>>
>>16761528
It has been a while, but you need to figure out the vertical component of the force with relation to the angle.

So drop a trig function in somewhere.
>>
>>16761528
sin(theta)mg=-q
>>
>>16761738
also equilibrium means

sum of forces in ALL directions are 0
>>
the x component of gravity is equal and opposite to the charge force pushing the ball away from the plane

m*g*sin(theta) = qE where E = sigma/epsilon where sigma is the charge density and epsilon is a constant

solve for the charge density

Also don't take my word on the equations, check these up in your textbook
>>
>>16761744
yes but the y direction is not relevant to the question as it only involves the vertical components of tension and gravity; the resulting equation doesn't yield any information that leads to the answer to the question
>>
>>16761757
the x component of the tension*
>>
WAIT I WAS WRONG

Here it is:

Sum of Forces in Y:

Tcos(theta) = mg

Rearranging,

T = mg/cos(theta)

Sum of Forces in X:

Tsin(theta) = qE = q*sigma/epsilon

Subsituting,

mg/cos(theta)*sin(theta) = q*sigma/epsilon

mg*tan(theta) = q*sigma/epsilon

sigma = mg*tan(theta)*epsilon/q
>>
have no fucking clue but that was written on LaTeX so I'm happy about it.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.