[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Firing Someone Who Is 'Weird'

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

File: ice_cube_wtf.gif (4MB, 452x308px) Image search: [Google]
ice_cube_wtf.gif
4MB, 452x308px
I'm a manager at a small restaurant. I hired this guy 2 weeks past and he's on his 4th day. Thing is, he's just....weird. Like, socially awkward weird. He says the strangest things. I thought maybe he was just nervous and trying to crack jokes to ease into the new job.

During training, I asked "Why do we wash the food?" and his answer was 'Chimpanzees" Then yesterday, he made a comment where we should have an answering machine that says, "Thanks for calling...., where we satisfy all your sexual needs." (We have nothing to do with the sex industry). Employees will be conversing and he'll interject with a nonsensical comment and just kill the conversation. I have no idea how to interact with this kid and he's not fitting in with our team. How do I fire him without saying 'You're weird.'
>>
does he do his job well? consider not throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

i've found people that do that are instigators or just impulse control poor.

the treatment for either is the same, tho. confronting each incident of occurrence.

if he's nice, do it in a nice way. if he's not nice, tell him you have expectations about workers and he's not meeting them every time he does that.
>>
Just say "This isn't working out." Smile. As long as he did an OK job, give him an OK reference if he needs it.
>>
>>16743386
This.

Man, you bitches are incredibly retarded. You come to /adv/ and make up this elaborate fucking story as if it required an incredibly well thought out solution. OP, before you waste our time, think. HOW ABOUT TELLING HIM FIRST? Do you really trust a fucking anonymous board with the future of your employees?
>>
>>16743376
Just say you don't think it's working out and this isn't the right job for him, you're just helping him out because he hasn't figured that out yet.
Suggest he goes to Community college or a votech
>>
File: 1453842366876.jpg (66KB, 529x800px) Image search: [Google]
1453842366876.jpg
66KB, 529x800px
>>16743376
Don't be surprised when this backfires on you
>>
>>16743388
I'll quiz him on something, then 5 mins later when I ask the same question or get him to do a task, he completely screws it up.

He's a nice kid. The best way someone described as 'he was home schooled all his life and he suddenly was released outside.'
>>
>>16743449
Is he front or back? Also is your place a fountain of constant staff drama?
>>
>>16743451
Everybody is FOH. We have no drama among ourselves. Small place with like 12 employees.
>>
>>16743394
I did state I am going to fire him. And I have no relationship to this kid, so idgaf.
>>
>>16743376
Ask /r9k/
>>
>>16743376
It depends entirely on how kind you want to be. Clearly the kid is no troublemaker, he just doesn't know how to behave in society.

If you care enough, take him aside privately and explain, in a kind way, that some of what he thinks are jokes are actually inappropriate. Suggest that the next time he wants to make a joke he think twice before saying it.

Then, if he slips up, just quietly say "That was one of the things we talked about" until he learns.

And if he never learns, then you can fire him, having done what you could to try to help him.
>>
>>16743376

Fire him, if he asks why, tell him: ''Chimpanzees''

But desu I'd straight up tell him he's weird and need to get his shit together.
>>
>This is a professional environment, and you are interrupting the professional attitude with your inappropriate comments

Wow how fucking hard was that? And you call yourself a manager.
>>
You just described 4chan mate.
Jokes aside, you have two options:
>Lie
>Don't lie
Yup, that's pretty much it.
>>
File: 1450974070212.png (20KB, 227x367px) Image search: [Google]
1450974070212.png
20KB, 227x367px
>>16743462
>restaurant
>everybody is FOH
????
>>
>>16744444

It's McDonald's, isn't it?
>>
It's McDonald's and OP is the same guy eighteen months later.
>>
>>16743376
Put him into a position where whatever he comments do not matter. Dish washing or something like that. As long as he can do the work, I think you shouldn't fire him. Have pity on people like that.
>>
you sound like the manager at my old job.
>>
>>16743462
What kind of place is this that is all FOH...what is a a restaurant that doesn't serve anything?
>>
>>16744845

It's either Subway or McDonald's or something similar, obviously - everyone takes a turn at taking orders and putting them together.

It would be funny if the guy OP's trying to fire is the OP here: >>>16744570
>>
>>16744845
I used to work at Panera and the open kitchen made it so that technically the only "back of house" job was dish washing
>>
>>16743376
if you know anything about business, it's about getting to the bottom line at the end of the day.

Just say he wasn't making the bottom line or that he wasn't productive enough

or tell him the truth that he's so weird he's disrupting the work environment
>>
>>16743376

You don't have cause to fire him.

Not only that, you reveal yourself as unbelievably petty for wanting to exert yourself over someone for so minor a thing.

Seriously. Imagine YOU got called into your boss's office and got told you were getting fired. And when you asked why, they said, "Eh, you wore a purple shirt the other day, everyone thought it was really dumb-looking and no one wants to see that again, so out you go. I know you've only been here a few days, but for all we know you have a closet full of them, can't risk it."

Not only should you not fire him... this isn't even something to counsel someone over. Just get over it, you're a restaurant manager, not some fucking divinely-mandated despot.
>>
>>16745138
You obviously never worked with odd balls.

Op i can relate i deal with some real strange birds (deli worker) but all i can say is you really gotta just ignore him or call him out if that's your thing

I know at my shop we woulda made fun jokingly to his face so he knew it wasnt exactly cool and that usually works
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.