[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to tell apart American & Canadian accents?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: hetalia north american brothers.jpg (10KB, 236x235px) Image search: [Google]
hetalia north american brothers.jpg
10KB, 236x235px
They sound the same to me. Can Americans and Canadians tell themselves apart based on the way they talk?
>>
You can, but you have to listen closely.

Probably, the biggest thing is this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_raising

For me, it's easy to tell the difference between an American 'about' and a Canadian 'abaeut'
>>
Yeah, there are like 5 american accents, plain american robot speak,
Then canadian, and french canadian.
>>
>>16649759
Canada is a big country.
Like bigger than Europe by a significant amount.

Someone from Manitoba, Vancouver, and Newfoundland will all sound very different from each other.

It's like comparing a Texan to a Bostonian, or someone from SoCal to someone from the Bronx.
>>
If they say "ey" or apologize a lot, probably Canadian.

Or as another anon suggested, Americans talk about things while Canadians talk a boot them.
>>
>>16649811
>while Canadians talk a boot them.
Not everyone is from Manitoba, eh?
>>
>>16649759
Canadians say aboot and eh. They also shy away from danger.
>>
Americans:
Innernet = internet
awrenge = orange
sorry = sawry

Canadian:
soda = pop
sorry = soaree

If someone physically bumps into a Canadian on the street, the Canadian will always apologize "for being in the way".

Like other's have said, Canada is big, so there's no one singe accent. Western Canada basically has the default "American accent", eastern Canada has more distinct accents. For example, someone from ontario might pronounce car as "care", or might say aboot. The maritime province's accents are some kind of fucked up Scottish-influenced abomination.
>>
Americans say mawfia and tawco, Canuckians say mahfia and tahco.
>>
Both Canada and America have several different accents, many of which overlap between the two countries. You'll find people in Wisconsin and Minnesota, for example, who speak with what sounds like a stereotypical Canadian accent.
>>
>>16649799
What the fuck is "american robot speak"??
>>
>>16650257
That was written by the girl who fucked her dog lol. Just dismiss what she wrote.
>>
Most examples people are giving on here actually aren't very reliable.

There are quite a few American accents depending on where you go. Canada is the same. Some meld into the others. It can be difficult to differentiate. There tend to be some subtle differences, but sometimes there aren't.
>>
I'm in Canada and I have no idea how to speak French or east coast.
>>
Some people in Canada are going to be indistinguishable from people in New Hampsire, Vermont, Minnesota.

They typical "Canadian" stereotype is only the far, far east coast.

The easiest way is to see whether they use Metric and Celsius.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.