[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Georgia Tech

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

Help, /adv/!

I'm a senior with a 3.1 UW GPA (4.0 W) and Georgia Tech is my dream school. Obviously the application is due soon and I don't have enough time to boost my GPA, but is there any way in which I can make up for my GPA? I have a 34 ACT and 800s in SAT Math II and Physics, along with 11 AP Courses in total, a good essay and teacher rec.

I know my GPA might not show it, but I work really hard in STEM classes; I practice college-level mathematics daily, thus ensuring that I literally learn something new everyday.

>TL;DR GaTech = Dream School. Is there any way to make up for my shitty GPA? Any advice/help is much appreciated.
>>
It's a bit too late to make up for GPA but if you did internships or research that would look really good. However, with your stats, you'll probably get in regardless. If you get waitlisted, email the admission officer about how much you love the school.
>>
>>16647803
Thank you so much for the advice! But it's worth noting that I'm OOS (thus increasing the odds).

Also, if I get waitlisted I'll follow your tip, but I'm worried that I might appear rather obsessive/fanatical and clingy to the counselor. I don't want to give off a negative impression.
>>
you'd probably be best off talking to a professional college counselor or at the very least collegeconfidential.
>>
That ACT should definitely get you in. Especially if you have any extracuriculars and get write a decent entrance letter.
>>
>>16649367
Yeah, I'm planning on talking to my college counselor tomorrow; I visit her weekly. Thanks!

>>16649381
I hope so. I have a bunch of STEM ECs and have tried to make my essay responses top-tier. I'm just worried because many students with higher scores and grades than me got rejected, which is unfortunate. Thank you nonetheless!
>>
>>16647797
Most people are fucking retards when it comes to engineering. If you go to a shit school and do well (i.e. 3.85-4.0) you can transfer there after two years.
>>
>>16647797

Call your admissions counselor and ask them. Tell them you know your GPA isn't quite there, and ask them what you can do to make up for it.

They'll tell you what they look for, and they'll make a note that you cared enough to ask (which ends up being worth more than anything else).
>>
I doubt the GPA will hold you back theoretically... low GPA signals inability to do the work or lack of motivation. You're scoring highly on your subject tests and ACT, as well as taking all AP classes. I don't know much about Georgia Tech, so I can't give any further advice.
>>
>>16649769
Hopefully I won't have to transfer, but that's a viable option as well.

>>16649785
Sounds like a decent idea, although I might come off as clingy. Thanks!

>>16649887
Yeah, but that's exactly the problem: Most colleges don't want lazy/unmotivated students like me because that means that they're more likely to fail classes and not do their work. That, in turn, lowers the "prestige" of universities (equaling less money), hence why many top schools tend to accept 4.0 UW GPA students with average test scores over 3.0 UW GPA students with above average test scores. But it's OK. Thanks for the tips!
>>
>>16649952
>Sounds like a decent idea, although I might come off as clingy. Thanks!

That's probably the dumbest thing I've ever read. And I mean that in the least mean way possible. Seriously, wtf? They don't give a shit. They want your money. At the end of the day, they're running a business. They're more than happy to talk to anyone who wants to come give them tens of thousands of dollars.
>>
Undergrad is worth nothing

Don't sweat it
>>
I do not have a suggestion for bringing up your HS GPA but there is an agreement called TAG within the GA university system. If you meet certain community college requirements, you can transfer with guaranteed acceptance and I believe there's one for GPC & GT.

When you graduate, as long as your degree is from GT, it won't matter if you transferred in or not. Plus, you could avoid some of the GT weed out core classes. Just make sure all of the classes transfer.

I'm not sure what math classes you are referring to studying but it may help if you concentrate on the proofs rather than plug-and-chugging into formulas. :)

Lastly, do not hesitate to contact them because 1. that is their job, and 2. it is your life and future. Getting in is the easy part and they need to know once you're in, you're committed to succeed. Good luck!
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.