[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Understanding Evangelion Ep. 24, especially the DC version:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 6

File: evaep24tmb.png (597KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
evaep24tmb.png
597KB, 720x540px
Consider this an addendum to the very good thread we just had on the different types of possible Third Impacts.

I feel like there are still too many things about Episode 24 of NGE that we don't have any consensus on. What do we make of the lake scene where Kaworu talks to SEELE? Apologies but I could only find the transcription for the English dub.

KAWORU: Humans cannot create anything out of nothingness. Humans cannot accomplish anything without holding onto something. After all, humans aren’t gods.

SEELE: But there is one man who is trying to obtain power equal to that of God.

SEELE: There is a man, who is not one of us, attempting to open Pandora’s Box once again.

SEELE: There is a man trying to close the Box before Hope at the bottom appears.

KAWORU: (scoffs) Hope? You’re saying that is Lilin’s hope?

SEELE: Hope exists in as many forms as there are people.

SEELE: And that is because hope only exists in the hearts of people.

SEELE: However, our hope is becoming substantiated.

SEELE: That is Lilith, the progenitor of mankind who are the fake successors from the black moon.

SEELE: And Adam, the progenitor of the Angels who are the true successors from the lost white moon.

SEELE: His salvaged soul exists only within you.

SEELE: However, his resurrected body already exists within Ikari.

KAWORU: Shinji’s father… So he is also the same as me.

SEELE: That is why we entrust you with our wish.
>>
>>153791301
So from this scene, at least in the dub, are we supposed to believe that
>Kaworu was *told explicitly* that Adam's body was fused with Gendo
>he knows Lilith is in Terminal Dogma but goes there anyway and then acts surprised

Going on from that-
>What is SEELE's 'wish' as mentioned at the end of the transcript? this scene makes it sound as if his task at NERV involves some kind of interaction with Gendo
>What was SEELE's aim in sending Kaworu to NERV?
>What was Kaworu's own perceived purpose for going to NERV?

it's a pretty important point in the story narratively, obviously this is just taken from the dub but unfortunately the only digital rip of Evangelion I have atm uses the English dub's subtitles instead of a translation of the Japanese, if anyone can suggest a better subtitle source let me know.
>>
File: image.jpg (79KB, 604x403px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
79KB, 604x403px
Pacific rim is cooler
>>
File: 4.png (91KB, 475x528px)
4.png
91KB, 475x528px
>>153791325
>he knows Lilith is in Terminal Dogma
No, he doesn't know Lilith is in Terminal Dogma.
He enters the HQ and senses a large presence, of which he must assume is Adam and so he goes towards it.

Since SEELE told him that Adam is within Gendo, Kaworu may have surmised that it's Gendo down there, as that would be the explanation for him feeling such a presence. It's not like he knew Gendo was in the control room.

>What is SEELE's 'wish' as mentioned at the end of the transcript?
SEELE was lying to Kaworu in that scene, making it seem like they wanted to the angels to rightfully reclaim Earth. Their wish being for Kaworu to return to Adam and revive the angels again.

However their true wish is for all angels to be killed so they can start Instrumentality.

>What was SEELE's aim in sending Kaworu to NERV?
They can't start Instrumentality unless all the angels are dead, they sent him there to die and also to spite Gendo for his disobedience.

>What was Kaworu's own perceived purpose
He simply desired to return to his body. He expressed concern/sadness that humans would have to die for that to happen, but he knew it was his destiny.
SEELE told him they desired that as well, but it is implied he may have known they were lying? Not really clear.

He also wanted to learn more about the lilin, and he achieved that greatly through meeting Shinji.
>>
>>153791891
sweet, that makes sense

>However their true wish is for all angels to be killed so they can start Instrumentality.
I know this is also stated explicitly within the show but why is this the case? the inverse isn't true for a hypothetical angel-guided Third Impact, right?
>>
Shinji is a transgirl who decided to man up and repress and give up his chance to be a cute girl
>>
>>153792079
*why is this a requirement for Instrumentality?
sorry
>>
What would happen if SEELE/Gendo tried to start Third Impact while there were still Angels alive? Would the Angels try to intervene and stop Third Impact from happening?
>>
File: 410_55776207_p1.jpg (753KB, 944x944px)
410_55776207_p1.jpg
753KB, 944x944px
>>153792079
I don't believe it's ever stated in the show on why, but it is definitely a requirement according to the Classified Information from NGE2.

And undebatable considering SEELE / Gendo waited until all angels were killed to start it.

I guess if there were still angels lurking around while humans were in the giant LCL mass in instrumentality, they could easily kill all of them or disrupt it something.

>hypothetical angel-guided Third Impact
Impacts are caused just by contact with Lilith-based or Adam-based lifeforms. Instrumentality is a seperate event that has to be intentionally triggered after the impact has just occured.

The angels never desired their own instrumentality, they just wanted an impact to get rid of the humans / reunite with Adam.
>>
File: 410_6570729.jpg (258KB, 480x639px)
410_6570729.jpg
258KB, 480x639px
I'm going to bed now OP so I can't answer any more questions, but if the thread ends up dying we can pick up next time.

Good night!
>>
>>153792455
cheers senpai
>>
>idiots overanalyzing a show with shoehorned religious symbolism
Every time.
>>
>>153792916
we're not talking about the shoehorned religious symbolism though, when do we?
>>
>>153792916
>idiot repeating shit he read on the internet without using his brain
Every time.
>>
>>153791325
>>Kaworu was *told explicitly* that Adam's body was fused with Gendo
Yeah, and that's an actual mistake on the writer's part. The rest of the episode contradicts it.
>>
>>153792286
>What would happen if SEELE/Gendo tried to start Third Impact while there were still Angels alive? Would the Angels try to intervene and stop Third Impact from happening?
Pretty much.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.