[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do the Yakuza, delinquents or other criminal groups constantly

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

File: Yakuza.jpg (117KB, 1000x563px) Image search: [Google]
Yakuza.jpg
117KB, 1000x563px
Why do the Yakuza, delinquents or other criminal groups constantly get portrayed as good guys in anime and manga?
In the west there's plenty of works with criminals, delinquents and gangsters as main characters, often making them sympathetic or tragic figures. But at the end of the day they aren't glorified, they're portrayed as bad people doing bad things that hurt society and aren't justified in what they do.
Meanwhile, anime and manga will portray them as heroic, loyal and/or goofy, "protecting their neighbourhood" or "helping kids". Any "bad" criminals are disliked by the yakuza main characters. The cops are always either corrupt or allow the Yakuza to act because they're necessary.
Even when they're not main characters the good guys will often have yakuza members as their allies.
Why this cultural difference between the way the media portrays criminals? You'd think a culture as conformist as Japan would be against positive portrayals of rule-breakers.
>>
>constantly

not really
>>
Yakuza rule Japan.
>>
>>135582378
>Why do the Yakuza, delinquents or other criminal groups constantly get portrayed as good guys in anime and manga?
They aren't.

You know who's (near) constantly portrayed as the good guys in anime and manga?
The protagonists.
If they happen to be delinquents, then these delinquents are portrayed as good guys. Not because that's the nature of delinquents, but because villain protagonists are not the norm.
>>
>>135582546
But it even applies to works not about the Yakuza.
Part 5 of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure is all about "good" Italian Mafiosi. We're told they're "good" because they're against drug dealing and want to get rid of their "bad" boss, yet they're fine with commiting any other crime including robbery, murder, destruction of property and extorsion.
>>
>>135582378
I don't really know the answer but my guess is because delinquency in Japan in the 70's all the way to the 90s was directly connected to teens, which also happen to be the biggest manga demographic, so, because delinquency was such a big thing at the time, kids wanted to be "delinquents" just because it was cool, it influenced culture in many ways so it's natural that managaka began writing about this sorta thing and since these delinquent culture happened to be the core shounen demographic the mangaka could appeal to them by romanticizing the delinquent life which was somewhat connected to Yakuza; many popular works following these formula showed and it became an extremely popular genre so other mangaka began taking inspiration from these, from Otoko Ippiki, to Otokojuku!! to Rokudenashi Blues and a million other more.

>>135582439
It's actually extremely common.
>>
>>135582723
>Not because that's the nature of delinquents, but because villain protagonists are not the norm.
As I pointed out in the OP there's plenty of movies and TV shows in the West where the main characters are criminals. They're not portrayed as good guys, at best they're portrayed as victims of circumstance or people that started with good intentions and then went off the deep end.
The Godfather is one of the best movies of all time and it's all about criminals.
>>
>>135582836
>in the West
Quoted the only important part of your post.
We are discussing anime and manga.
>>
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2011/03/18/japanese-yakuza-aid-earthquake-relief-efforts.html
>>
Basically this >>135582723, and even then their criminal occupation is played down while the characters themselves tend to be comedic.

>>135582836
>They're not portrayed as good guys
And neither are yakuza or delinquents in anime. They just factor into the pop culture. Fucking Al Capone is a pop culture icon.
>>
>>135582836
There are plenty of anime and manga where organized criminals are the bad guys. Just usually not in shonen or comedy.
>>
File: 1436343922721.png (702KB, 736x1075px) Image search: [Google]
1436343922721.png
702KB, 736x1075px
>>135582378
You don't want to mess with the Yakuza.
>>
>>135582725
Drugs have a major stigma in Japan.
>>
>>135583081
As they should.
Fuck drug users.
>>
File: ai takabe.jpg (175KB, 800x1121px) Image search: [Google]
ai takabe.jpg
175KB, 800x1121px
>>135583183
>Fuck drug users
I'd fuck Agiri's VA. Poor girl's career is over anyway, she has nothing to lose
>>
>>135582858
I want to understand why Japanese culture tends to portray criminals more positively than the West. Japan is a very strict "don't break the rules" society
>>
>>135583568
>I want to understand why Japanese culture tends to portray criminals more positively than the West.
It doesn't.
As >>135582920 pointed out, the anime go out of their way to point out that the acts of delinquency are largely limited to sleeping on the roof instead of attending class, and getting into a fight every once in a while.
It's the west that is infatuated with villain protagonists. You think an anime like Dexter would ever be made for TV?
>>
Because the Yakuza more or less fucking rule Japan and those fuckers value honor like no one else and god fucking help you if you tarnish their honor in a cartoon for manchildren.

You don't fuck with the Yakuza and they don't fuck with you. Be nice to them and they will be nice to you. And I'm sure you'd be nice to the guy who could give you some nice concrete shoes and throw you into a river after he fucks your daughter, wife and mom, makes you lose your job, your home and everything you hold dear.

Besides, that, Yakuza are mostly cool guys. Just look at >>135582859 for example.
>>
File: Marewa.gif (706KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
Marewa.gif
706KB, 500x281px
>>135582378
>>135583568
After the events at the end of WW2, the Yakuza were the ones responsible for keeping communities safe and supplied while the government and police stood by and did nothing. The generation that were kids back then naturally looked up to them for what they did and that respect has passed down to today's youth kind naturally as the Japanese generally revere their elders and their opinions for better or worse
>>
>>135582920 and >>135583668 are right.

One of the common husbando archetype is a deliquent who actually has a golden heart, his crimes are limited to being against the authority or the lesser evil, sometimes likes animals and might have a little sister/brother. Real, bona fide criminal scum? I can't think of any, maybe in some yaoi manga.
>>
>“There are no yakuza or katagi (ordinary citizens) or gaijin (foreigners) in Japan right now. We are all Japanese. We all need to help each other.”
I like this guy.
>>
>>135583876
Who are you quoting?
>>
File: DeathNoteTheMusical[1].jpg (978KB, 2421x1378px) Image search: [Google]
DeathNoteTheMusical[1].jpg
978KB, 2421x1378px
>>135583668
> You think an anime like Dexter would ever be made for TV?

Yes, he got caught.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIcttpekUIw
>>
>>135582858
Are you retarded? Comparing and contrasting the way different cultures do things with the way anime and manga do things makes perfect sense and is still about discussing anime and manga. Is /a/ supposed to pretend the rest of the world doesn't exist or something?
>>
>>135583727
I was under the impression that the Yakuza want people to fear them and are happy that movies portray them as more badass and powerful than they actually are
>>
>>135583727
>mostly cool guys
They used to be mostly cool guys. All their stuff about traditions and honor and protecting the weak is a thing of the past, it died out shortly after the American Occupation ended. Aging yakuza bosses from that time were aware of this and lamented the fact that the youngsters were more materialistic and greedy, murdering unnecessarily and bullying the underdog instead of biting back at the tyrant.
>>
>>135583782
The japanese state during the conquests before ww2 used the yakuza as a colonial instrument, setting up opium dens and businesses in occupied china where regular japanese companies didn't go. I don't know the exact figure, but the amount of heroin and opium sold in the chinese cities by criminals sponsored by Imperial Japan was massive, and they in turn were paying money back to the state. Prostitution and "pleasure stations" were also something they organized with a blessing from high up.
>>
>>135582378
The most popular manga in Japan is about criminals, pirates to be exact, just roll with it

>>135582725
Giorno was awfully idealistic about the Mafia. Did he think that as Boss he could just ask people nicely to give him money instead of extorting protection money from shopkeepers? Does he not know how the Mafia works?
>>
>>135584176
I think it's a Yakuza boss who helped victims of the 2011 Earthquake
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.