[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Scanlation Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 525
Thread images: 82

Not there yet.

What manga are you typesetting/translating/ripping?
>>
File: adventure_001.jpg (653KB, 1738x1242px) Image search: [Google]
adventure_001.jpg
653KB, 1738x1242px
>Age of Adventure

I'm doing Tezuka's Age of Adventure, it's going really slow as a one man job and my japanese is shit. I'm doing it becuase I fucking hate that almost all of Tezuka's works are untranslated.
>>
Was thinking of asking roankun to let me do Fujimi Lovers, but thought better of it. Considering doing a single volume romance piece from 1998.
>>
File: Untitled.png (539KB, 1366x738px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
539KB, 1366x738px
I just finished typesetting this. My typesetting is very basic but I guess I'll be willing to do more in the future if groups aren't fussed about presentation.
>>
>>113697916

>my japanese is shit

Well, good luck I guess. Shit as in your have to spend half the time with a dictionary, or Google Translate-tier? Thanks for working on Tezuka though.
>>
I'm not working on anything at the moment but I just want to say that I've noticed that Photoshop CC's automatic crop/rotate is actually surprisingly good at dealing with wonky scans that used to throw it off. I was actually able to crop/rotate, denoise, resize, level, and resize again in a simple action that I applied to an entire volume while I slept the other day and it didn't screw anything up.

And the content aware fill seems to have been improved greatly as well. Doesn't give the sharp edges you used to get with CS6.
>>
>>113698065

I haven't made the jump yet, but CAF getting upgraded seems nice. Guess I'll see if I want to replace CS6 with it.
>>
>>113698065
There's a CS7?
>>
>>113698097
Not CS 7 but rather CC 2014.

>>113698097
It blends a lot more cleanly than it used to. I remember it used to give you a noticeable edge along the selection line, but it's a lot cleaner now.

I wish I was at home to pull up something to show an example, but then again I also don't have CS6 anymore to compare. You should try it out though. CAF is still very hit or miss like usual, but the smoother blending makes a big difference.
>>
>>113698050
>CS3
There's people who still use something that outdated?
>>
>>113698227

I assume I'm grabbing 15.1? I'll also see if there's a reliable portable version.
>>
More Arachnid soon, bitches
>>
>>113698275
I've got CS5 but I don't really like it. Would upgrading make a huge difference?
>>
>>113698334
As I remember the filters were improved greatly between CS3 and CS5, as well as having the addition of CAF in CS5. However since it was new in CS5 it's not the best CAF you can get out of Photoshop. Overall I had a good experience when upgrading, even more so when I went to CS6.
>>
>>113698293

Never even read that.
>>
>Used to scanlate in CS3 a few years back
>Topaz filter was starting to get huge
>Couldn't find a pirated version
>Around the same time Batoto appeared and people started to throw vitriol at scanlators because of Mangafox watermarks
>Despite not using watermarks myself, quit scanlation all together after seeing the community I was serving

Why do you guys scanlate?
>>
>that series a lot of people like and want scans for, but for some reason no one has picked it up

What's her name, /a/?
>>
>>113698408
By not being in shitty groups or doing things anonymously.
>>
>>113698408
I just work on things that I like because I like them. It's mostly for me really. I just share it with everyone else as well.
>>
>>113698408

>vitriol
Only leddit uses that term
>people shitting on scanlators because of Mangafox watermarks
Literally what
>the community I was serving
You mean you got into scanning not knowing that the community is a very ungrateful lot and seldom appropriately grateful? You don't scan for attention buddy
>>
>>113698408
I just like sharing things I enjoy with other people.

If you think mangafox was in any way acceptable, you deserve all the bitching you got.
>>
>>113698408
I genuinely enjoy translating. I take great pleasure in working the original Japanese into an English script that is not only accurate, but flows and reads smoothly. It always stokes my autism whenever I see half-assed translations that a) have inaccurate grammar or sentence structure, b) sound oddly formal and unfaithful to the original spirit of the manga/characters, or c) don't stay consistent. I'm doing this more for myself than the so-called community.
>>
>>113698412

I wish someone would just decide to work on Nekojiru's series.
>>
>>113698497
At first I assumed you were a newfag, but now that I think about it, it was over 3 years ago now. To make a long story short, scanlators learned that mangafox was making literally millions of dollars off of ad revenue by using bots to rip their works and put them on their own chain of sites.
As a result, scanlators started to watermark releases in a way that they only appeared if mangafox used bots to rip them. Most of the watermarks redirected the readers to the scanlator's personal sites, or to Batoto, a site where scanlators are able to collect ad revenue for their work.
This caused an enormous backlash by the manga reading community at large, claiming that scanlators were massive jews that were ruining everything.
While I never received any of the backlash personally, just seeing how ugly the community got at other scanlators made me lose all interest in doing anything for them. Back then, the front page of /a/ was filled with nothing but threads bashing scanlators.
>>
>>113698788
Huh. That's pretty weak. Fuck Mangafox and fuck anyone who thought that was acceptable. Also, I didn't know you could make money through Batoto.
>>
File: mperusona_006_001.jpg (556KB, 1740x1153px) Image search: [Google]
mperusona_006_001.jpg
556KB, 1740x1153px
We're scanlating Megami Ibunroku Persona Manga... Currently on Volume 7 now but still need to release the remaining chapters of Vol. 6 and re-release the previous volumes.
>>
Anyone use Typesetterer? Just tried it recently with CS5 in win7 but whenever opened it I just got an error: Failed to load page - Photoshop is busy. Close any dialogs and hit OK. Did anyone else have the same problem? Also do you have any kind of auto cleaning/ typesetting script working in PTS?
>>
>>113698412
I'm trying to make it so there are lots of people who want scans, but I'm not making very much progress. I don't even care about it getting finished, I just want people to suffer.
>>
>>113698788
Not gonna lie, I wish I got money out of scanning. Every bit helps in these shit times.
>>
>>113698788
Nigga I'm not the person you're responding to, but I was around for that. It was incredibly retarded on both sides. It is not up to you to decide what people do with your scans once you release them on the internet; they're fair game the second you hit the upload button. If people are dumb enough to read them on mangafox in shitty quality then that's their prerogative. Scanlators acting like spoiled babies who insisted on their "work" being read the way they wanted and only the way they wanted was just as irritating as people saying that scanlators were only in it for the money and recognition (What money? What recognition?). That whole fiasco was monumentally stupid.
>>
>>113698926
I don't think you're going to see an automatic cleaning script ever. Some parts of the process can definitely be automated with actions once you find appropriate settings for what you're working on though.
>>
>>113698882
They would set up a google ad account for your group and give you revenue for whatever server/raw costs you needed them if you wanted, you could opt out of it. Then google said fuck you and cut the ads to Batoto so that ended like a year after it started.
>>
You don't need a script to clean, nor to typeset, it's all in the method and mostly in the will to actually do it. This shit never stops being tedious, no matter how fast you are. Even after the 100th chapter, it still feels like you're going through torture.
>>
>>113699142
Unless you have amazing raws in which case every day is a fun day.
>>
>>113698882
I don't know if it's still a thing, but you used to be able to link your Google adsense account with them.
>>113698952
It was a pretty shit rate, like a few cents per thousand views, so unless you were covering a shitton of manga, or doing the big three, you only made <5 dollars a month.
>>113699092
I remember /a/ mentioning something about trying to use click fraud to get the ads off of batoto so the scanlators wouldn't make anything, but at that point I couldn't care for scanlation. I guess they did it.
>>
>>113699157

Go read History Disciple Kenichi.

No, as a matter of fact just look at the latest chapters, manga is shit. Tell me with a straight face you'd deliver that filtered abomination to your readers.
>>
>>113699157
Not him but amazing raws are still torture if the artist has a fetish for stroked text.
>>
>>113699181
I would because those raws are shit. If it was tank raws or raws from a magazine with good printing then obviously not.
>>
>>113699181
>those fucking tones

God damn it. I remember before I started doing this I never noticed shit like that, but now that makes me want to vomit.
>>
>>113699208

Amazing raws usually exist in hentai, and what little time you gain from cleaning you lose in redrawing (hentai has a lot more floating text) and moans breaking every fucking border they can.

>>113699216

A sharp yet dirty raw I can look at, I literally had to stop looking at Kenichi because it was hurting my eyes.

Topaz can be used but not like a retarded kid with a clicker would, you need a lot of moderation.
>>
>>113699181
>>113699262
I don't get it, it's just the usual topaz on trash weekly manga scans what's the big deal?
>>
>>113699280
I'd like to see the raws. I'm pretty sure you can fix them without turning dot screentones into piles of spaghetti.
>>
>>113699324
You can't, I've seen the raws for Kenichi before.
>>
>>113699280

That it's ugly trash they got used to because people like you never called them out for it.

Look at Lazarus H/TLLP: their editor has got a thousand chapters behind him counting hentai and non-h yet he's a fucking complete noob, he only stopped filtering and overlevelling his hentai after we called him out for it causing a shitstorm.

When I look at earlier Koe no Katachi scanlations and then crunchyroll, I wish I could find everyone complaining about CR scans and beat the hell out of them, it's like they can't stop talking out their asses.

>>113699341

You're not fixing them either, you're smearing vomit over a pile of dogshit.
>>
>>113699382
I thought people complained about CR scans because of the shitty TL in some series/chapters.
>>
>>113699341
I'd still like to see them. I'm sure it's an improvement overall, but it really looks like wayyyyyy too much topaz. If you throw a gentle surface blur onto it before running denoise you can avoid having to crank it up so high. And it looks like they didn't even use the detail recovery option at all.
>>
>>113699404

>muh artifacts
>>
>>113699419
You can fix that by a quick leveling.
>>
>>113699429

I mean that they nitpick just for the sake of shitposting.
>>
>>113699413
You could also probably lowball it and run it multiple times to avoid losing details.
>>
My Japanese is okay but I can't photoshop/clean/typeset.
Hope someone experienced picks up Hen Zemi someday.
>>
File: look-at-his-face-in-panel-1.gif (1MB, 783x1169px) Image search: [Google]
look-at-his-face-in-panel-1.gif
1MB, 783x1169px
>>113699514

I don't blame them but christ.
>>
>>113698064
im sorry but google translate shit tier. I'm thinking after I finish the volume I'll get my jap mate to proof read it and fix it for me
>>
File: img016.jpg (4MB, 2517x3465px) Image search: [Google]
img016.jpg
4MB, 2517x3465px
>>113699803
How do you even make scans that bad?
This is from literally the first doujin I scanned when I had no clue what I was doing.

Do they sell scanners at the dollar store, or what?
>>
>>113699803
Comparing it to mangapanda isn't really fair because mangapanda's clenaers are worse than chink cleaners.
>>
File: 683.png (2MB, 1120x1600px) Image search: [Google]
683.png
2MB, 1120x1600px
>>113700271
Magazine and doujin are different case man. The paper are made to be cheap so it it can sell cheaper with tons of pages.

On the other hand i glad digital magazine is a thing now,and Kodansa is slowly stepping it up with the quality game.
>>
There were a couple Working!! threads a while back that never went anywhere. I typeset everything that was translated in the thread which was 2 pages...

Honestly I would be interested in typesetting as a side whatever thing but too lazy to go out and find people who need it.
>>
>>113700271
>he thinks it's the scanners
The paper and print quality is like that, it's why you hear people complain about shitty raws all the time except for magazines with good quality printing.
>>
>>113699803
Oh wait, we were talking about mangapanda? I thought were were talking about niggerscream when it came to Kenichi and topaz.
>>
>>113700463
niggerstream*
>>
Waiting for Japanese raws of Dead Tube to show up.

Fucking chinkscans, every time...
>>
>>113700396
>>113700428
There's no way it can only people the quality of the paper. Because I've scanned doujin that have been on shit paper, too.
The paper was yellow and grainy. All I really had to do was tweak the color correction and histogram settings.
>>
File: HnKv03p001 downscaled jpeg.jpg (2MB, 2843x2000px) Image search: [Google]
HnKv03p001 downscaled jpeg.jpg
2MB, 2843x2000px
Scanning Houseki no Kuni v3. It has good paper quality and a neat holographic dust jacket, so I presume that it's making a good amount of money. Also got an animated PV.

>>113700396

Scanlations when?

>>113700398

That would require a dedicated translator. Hopefully Japanzai steps up their pace.
>>
>>113700541
>There's no way it can only people the quality of the paper
It is, I've bought weekly magazines before and it's definitely the paper and print.
>>
>>113700541
I had hard time reading a physical copy of one of those really cheap magazines a few years ago, they really are terrible and I doubt any doujin you've scanned compares to that.
>>
>>113700568
Soon.png Translator didn't post the script for typesetting yet.
>>
File: WIM11-0222-0223.png (1MB, 1674x1200px) Image search: [Google]
WIM11-0222-0223.png
1MB, 1674x1200px
GUYS PLEASE HELP

I am working on The World is Mine (https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=187), the last four volumes that never got translated in English, and I need someone to help me with whatever. I thought I could pull it off alone but doing a Seinen of this rank proved to be harder than I expected. What I've done so far:
>Cleaned all four volumes using public raws
>Translated the first two volumes
What's left:
>Translating the last two volumes (I plan on doing this in the next three days)
>Typesetting
>Some minor editing
>Proofreading and general quality control

Are there people here interested in helping me? Also, once I am done , how can I put my releases on MU? Can I release it as 4chan?
>>
>>113700569
>>113700582
I'll have to try it for myself.
What's would you consider the worst of worst?
Paper quality wise, what magazine.
>>
>>113700611

MU mods are usually on their periods and don't allow 4chan scanlations, just post it on Batoto.
>>
>>113700620
Shoujo manga for sure, followed by weekly shounen jump/sunday/magazine.
>>
>>113700705
Okay. I'll pick up a copy.
>>
>>113700688
That's what the Habanero site is there for.
>>
>>113700611
Release it as Habanero Scans on Batoto and it will be added afterwards by the blog's supervisor to MU.
>>
>>113700620
I don't have that much experience with actual magazines, but let's say Weekly Shonen Magazine or something.

>>113700705
Shoujo magazines are worse than that? Huh.
>>
>>113697669
Oh, is this the new one by the KnJ artist? Keep going
>>
>>113700730
>>113700732

Goodness, Habanero mind.
>>
File: 1389578741663.jpg (2MB, 2078x3012px) Image search: [Google]
1389578741663.jpg
2MB, 2078x3012px
>>113700728
No but seriously this is the best as far as quality you'll be able to get out of weekly manga (obivously for scanlation purposes, not public raws). You probably think that they can't possibly print something that shitty but you gotta understand that it's very cheap to use the shitty recycled paper that they use and shitty printing for magazines that are basically expected to be thrown out. It's why tankobons have such a gigantic leap in quality from mag raws.

Dengeki Daioh (monthly mag) for example ranged from bad to okay quality depending on the print until a few months after. After the 20th anniversary celebration issue the printing suddenly skyrocketed in quality and made shit a lot fucking easier. It's not just the paper, the printing itself is also important.
>>
>>113700730
>>113700732
Thanks guys, will do.
>>
>>113700914
I'll take your word for it. But I'm still pretty OCD and want to try for myself.
I'm sure people better than me have tried and failed. But I'm going to try anyway.
>>
>>113699382
The CR scans are still shit.

That compression is awful; it totally messes with the lineart.
>>
>>113701057
Have fun, and in the off chance you discover the secret to god quality scans, please share with us.
>>
>>113697669
I'm honing my scanning skills but I have one problem. It seems that I'm unable to decently separate cover from pages. I'm doing the ironing way but it always end up me mostly tearing the cover from the binding. The actual pages go very easy since it's just glue removal but getting the cover out is bloody hard (at least for me).
>>
I was thinking about recleaning Sidonia's special I did months ago, hopefully with better results this time. It was printed on some kind of glossy paper and anon's scanner couldn't handle that shit properly. Rescan is not really possible because that anon is long gone and chapter came as bonus to special edition of first BD set.
Unfortunately, I don't have much experience with this kind of cleaning and usually when I get closer to smoothness I need small lines start to disappear. I was particularly puzzled with first page because it's mostly dark colors. Is there any trick for scans like this one?
Said first page, had to upload it elsewhere because it's fucking huge https://mega.co.nz/#!fIhREQjb!o4167F2WFT9ETE_LSKuCruiQDWpgJZ2aBcoEHiF2pJs
>>
>>113699843
Then why do it in the first place if he's the one actually doing it?
>>
>>113701316
Slice it off with a box cutter?
>>
File: 1409725788149.gif (2MB, 1000x562px) Image search: [Google]
1409725788149.gif
2MB, 1000x562px
>>113697669
None because I'm a lazy faggot.
>>
>>113699843
>google translate shit tier
Please don't take this the wrong way: stop, you're doing it wrong. Really wrong. At least study till you're sufficiently competent before actually translating.

>get my jap mate to proof read
You might as well get your friend to do the translating and YOU do the english proofread.
>>
Got accepted as a trial translator for some group a fews days ago.

Translated the first page of something, and then noticed that, while not having understood it wrong, the way I translated it was absolutely terrible.

Looks like there's lots of fun waiting for me.
>>
>>113701128

It messes with the lineart in the same way a mosquito messes with an elephant.
>>
>>113701380
Sounds brutal but will try. Thanks.
>>
File: HnKv03p007.jpg (3MB, 6514x4512px) Image search: [Google]
HnKv03p007.jpg
3MB, 6514x4512px
Would anyone mind cleaning one or more of the following?

>Binding spread

http://www.mediafire.com/download/tew29i0hl8ad751

Pic related. I scanned it flat first, to get an idea of what it looks like, and then the individual halves folded over. I'd rather have the spine removed and the spread redrawn (silver fill-in and the white fluid), since there's probably no way to scan the spine nice and flat since it has glue hardened on it (and a cleaned spread would look better, in my opinion). The spread isn't solid white, so I would leave it with the slight silver tone that it has now unless it ends up looking better with the whites solid. Release resolution hasn't been decided on yet, so just leave a png in the original resolution please.

>Opening color pages

Just some leveling and an easy stitch. Colors should be a tad brighter, I think. I'll post an ebook page for comparison.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/13borbe3pa81ew0

Filedrop, if anyone volunteers:

http://www.mediafire.com/filedrop/filedrop_hosted.php?drop=b3c654b01d96fafe5a4cae5f9c92b3001220fc73d810932f68aa32f93e50ef0c
>>
File: 003.png (950KB, 1128x1600px) Image search: [Google]
003.png
950KB, 1128x1600px
>>
>>113701495
Wrong, go look at the subtle detailing lines, some times the compression all but erases them.

You need to use your eyes.

You're letting the butthurt you have over those who favor the fanscans blind you to CR's own faults. I bet you think their TL and TS are just peachy as well.
>>
File: art.jpg (207KB, 1167x381px) Image search: [Google]
art.jpg
207KB, 1167x381px
>>113701638

I do have quite a bit experience with editing, if you are disturbed by such trivial matters I suggest you join the army, they could use a sniper/sharpshooter, your eyesight is way too good for this place. If you don't like war, maybe you could start one of those activities where eyesight is relevant, like fixing clocks or something.
>>
>>113700620
Miracle Jump is pretty awful. Printing got a bit better after the renewal, but the pages are still wonky.
>>
>>113701902
Answer honestly now, do YOU work for CR? I bet you do. I bet you are shilling for your employer right now, because no sane person would defend their shitty scanlation work.
>>
>>113701969

I work on porn and not for money.
>>
>>113701969
He's just so upset that someone could find fault with the best copies out there.

CR gets handed perfect masters from Grorious Nihon, and they proceed to absolutely ruin them by compressing them into jpgs.

You can tell CR gives zero shits about their Manga properties; just look at their typesetting and that goddamned Ereader, or better yet, don't, seeing as how you might go blind and mad from how atrocious it is.

For example, here is one of the series's most impactful pages and this is the font they use to express the main character's shock.

Also, you can see the compression at 100% if you're not blind, look at the whites, they look fuzzy; that's the artifacts.
>>
I wish that artists releasing the raw, unlettered HQ source of their notable spreads, etc. was a thing that happened. I'm sure the fans would love that spread even more if it didn't have text on it and they could make a poster out of it.

Maybe I should ask some smalltime artist if that's possible, but it'll probably end up being a legal bullshit thing with the publisher.
>>
>>113702246
It happens sometimes, but never online. They're sold as posters.
>>
File: 049.jpg (2MB, 2340x3200px) Image search: [Google]
049.jpg
2MB, 2340x3200px
>>113702246
You should buy some artbooks, they're pretty much exactly what you're looking for.
>>
>>113702146
Absolutely agree. And it's not just CR that do this, though they are probably one of the biggest offenders. Lots of localized physical manga, in English/French/etc, are butchered. I happen to have the same volume, for some series, both in Japanese (original) and in English/French. The blacks and grays are burned to the point you cannot tell what's going on, large margins are cut from the sides, the sfx are fuckhuge and cover at least twice the original space, etc. Businesses have no passion for their work, they just want to make money.
>>
>>113702274

Interesting. Got an example? I'm guessing the obvious ones are the Big Three.

>>113702317

I should. I wonder how many manga artists release artbooks. I'd love to get some Takahashi Yousuke or Koike Kazuo.
>>
Gotta typeset ch 39 of Arachnid. I wish this author would use more space for his bubbles, it's really difficult to drop giant insect biology infodumps when you have to use multisyllable words instead of single characters. Also, it REALLY annoys me that he varies the font size from bubble to bubble. It makes it look like I'm doing a shit job when that's just how it looks in the japanese.
>>
I kind of want to learn to scanlate since I'm a useless NEET with nothing else to really do anyway, and I enjoy manga a lot. Is it easy to pick up if you know your way around the computer?
>>
>>113702382
Just a google image search for something like ?????????? will give you a bunch of results. And I know that Kishi, Oda, and Kubo have all released artbooks for their respective series. Most long-running series have at least one artbook, sometimes more.
>>
>>113702356
Wait till you see their digital releases. On top of all this shit it's downscaled by some retard who doesn't know shit about anything and fucks up all screentone.
>>
>>113702317

Not that anon, but I've never looked into art books. Are they listed under a consistent moon term on Amazon JP, like ?? ? I'll go browse.
>>
>>113702502
Typesetting and cleaning is, yeah. Scanning takes a little more work/money and translating is best left to people who know what they're doing.
>>
>>113702570
????? and ?? should cover most of them, yes.
>>
File: woeno.jpg (296KB, 1404x459px) Image search: [Google]
woeno.jpg
296KB, 1404x459px
>>113701983

Left is the original with just a 240w level layer to eliminate the artifacts filtering sounds insane for that little dirt, middle is that same page saved as PNG8 - 32colors, right is Jpeg at Quality 100% and no optimization whatsoever.

Point being, they'll never be able to release perfectly crystal clean scans unless they start releasing uncompressed anything-but-jpeg shit.
>>
>>113702741

Wrong quote

>>113702146
>>113701969
>>
>>113702741
>>Point being, they'll never be able to release perfectly crystal clean scans unless they start releasing uncompressed anything-but-jpeg shit.

That's the point, that's what they should have done.
These people are Professionals who are, ostensibly, getting paid for their work on this manga, they should provide the best possible quality for their, supposed, readers.

They don't have to clean or redraw anything, all they have to do is not compress them into a shitty format.
They don't give a shit.
>>
>>113702741
Mind giving me the original page?
>>
>>113702853
>>
>>113702843
>They don't have to clean or redraw anything
I think I saw some CR redraws a few days ago from Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou. It was hilariously bad. It wasn't even a hard redraw, either, it was pretty much babby's first redraw and they fucked it up. I'll see if I can find it in the archive.
>>
File: katachi.png (392KB, 1127x1600px) Image search: [Google]
katachi.png
392KB, 1127x1600px
>>113702876
>>
>>113703008
I remember that thread. Can't believe people are paid for that shit.
>>
>>113703008

Well, I mean for this Manga in particular, but yeah, I don't have a hard time believing CR would be awful if they actually had to scanlate from Raws.
>>
In the event that the editor for Houseki no Kuni ends up not really knowing what he's doing, would anyone like to volunteer for cleaning? You'd probably only have to do one volume, the subsequent ones are digital raws.

http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/houseki-no-kuni-r10749
>>
>>113703040
You just converted it to a PNG, what's the point?
>>
>>113702843
>>113703008
Found them. Can't be bothered to save them and repost them but they're at >>113351277 and >>113351315
>>
>>113703116
Did you actually open the page and check the levels?
>>
>>113702843

>These people are Professionals who are, ostensibly, getting paid for their work on this manga, they should provide the best possible quality for their, supposed, readers.

Don't give them too much credit. Fakku Books started the same way Crunchyroll did, and their main editor hadhas barely any meaningful experience with any of the basics. Things improve with feedback, if their audience either doesn't know or can't tell or just doesn't care, nothing can change.

>>113703008

Try to see if you can find them please, I'm curious.
>>
>>113703124
Oh yeah, that. They didn't even try to hide it or anything.
>>
>>113703132
No, I just opened them both in my browser. Now that I look into it, some white spots have been covered in black, but that's barely relevant.
>>
>>113703124
Wow, that second one is...
>>
>>113703224
I also got rid of most of the artifacts on the whites. I thought that's what you wanted to get.
>>
>>113703124

Holy shit, that second one. They really have no standards, do they?
>>
>>113703040
That's a lot better, the whites are so much less muddled than the CR version.

>>113703188
>Things improve with feedback

Thing is, CR doesn't seem to care even when they do get Feedback; there are tons of CR forum threads that complain about things which never get addressed, and when people directly asked the Head of CR questions in that reddit thread that concerned some of their policies, they flat out ignored, dodged, or mocked the questions.
>>
>>113703257

Oh, I see them now. Yeah, pretty bad, I'd have shit thrown at me if I so much dared to show hentai (not even mainstream, fucking porn) like that at QC.
>>
CR doesn't seem to have a quality control at all.

Sometimes their subs are pretty good, but awful ones still get through; that really shouldn't be the case.
>>
On one hand, CR has done some older manga that probably would have never been touched otherwise (Takao Saito, etc). On the other hand, everything else is awful.

Good thing someone's at least ripping anything that might be of value.
>>
>>113703406
I believe they said in that Q&A that some of their subs aren't done by them and they're legally obliged to use them due to the contract with whatever company they license it from. That's what happened with Haikyuu, I believe. Doesn't really excuse it, but it's pretty funny that sometimes they have to use shit subs.
>>
>>113703297

http://exhentai.org/g/680649/ccded8f391/

Check the second comment, check that abload gif, look at the source material. How does it make you feel?

How does this in particular make you feel?

http://exhentai.org/s/510e276d8c/655869-68
http://exhentai.org/s/05e4ebd3a7/680649-68

Now the funny part: these people make quite a buck off commissions, they are endorsed by hentai2read, and furthermore

http://exhentai.org/g/738009/962472b001/

>Im infamous all 500 plus of my releases Im so proud to be so infamous lol

That pipsqueak of an editor they have thinks he's worth a damn. You know why that is? Once again, for one guy complaining about it, fifty don't give a shit. He got bashed-ownvoted by a handful sadpanda people gathered on irc, but other than that they let him have his awful way.
>>
>>113703476
Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they're picking up shit that no one's touching, but everything they pick up that's not abandoned is of ridiculously poor quality.

Thank Christ they get masters for KnK or else that'd be mangled too, assuming their scanlating skills match their typesetting and localization skills.

If only we could get at the uncompressed, unlettered, masters and use some skilled typesetters.
>>
>>113703762
Apply for the job, leak masters to public, save the manga.
>>
>>113703824
I'm tempted, but the criminal repercussions scare me.
>>
>>113703824

That would probably be ruined because /a/ can't keep its mouth shut and would just send CR messages taunting them or something stupid.
>>
>>113703909

The leaker would just have to keep quiet and pretend that he knows a great cleaner. I wonder how secure their master files are even. They might just be sitting on an unsecure FTP somewhere.
>>
I'm one of the anons who helped proofread the script for the Shiwasu no Okina nudist beach story. We're waiting for the new raws to continue.

I was wondering what's the deal with the pages of the raw and the English release, since the raw is brighter. What's the closest to the original intent? (It's noticeable in Chrome and editing programs but not Firefox for some reason.)

http://exhentai.org/g/722512/0f37b331eb/ - Raw
http://exhentai.org/g/731139/df929b1479/ - English
http://exhentai.org/g/717200/085d424a1a/ - Chinese, different resolution, different tone too, dangit

Also I realize some pages have all these artifacts, I'm planning to clean that up manually at least.
>>
>>113702146
That's the font they use for titles.
>>
>>113704411
Honestly,it is hard to check unless you have the magazine on hand to check.
>>
>>113698050
I can't imagine what group would be OK with that typesetting
>>
>>113705265
Are you trolling? This looks better than what you would find on average. Not only that, but I see almost nothing wrong with the way it's typeset. What's your particular problem?
>>
It's always sad to see raws get uploaded yet no one to translate.
>>
File: 1400126342954.jpg (35KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
1400126342954.jpg
35KB, 512x384px
>>113704411

Chinamen learned about the existence of topaz denoise (half tones are smooth and clean) and stopped crushing blacks, that stuff is filtered but not to excessive levels though so you might want to take advantage. Use chinese scans, nobody will complain.

One thing though: though png, the chinese stuff shows jpeg-like artifacts so you might want to take care of those, or not.
>>
>>113705360
Not that guy but
>Anime Ace
>>
>>113705360
The font.
The text placement.
>>
>>113705511

You really should take a proper look around yourself: for one decent typesetter there's 20 who suck dicks day in and day out. The last typesetter that wowed me was the guy working on Yamada-san, and it's over.
>>
>>113705511
Seriously? That's just nitpicking and has little to do with actual quality issue. As long as it's not comic sans, it's a non-issue.
>>
>>113705511
>>113705544
What's wrong with Anime Ace 2.0? Many many groups out there use it. The text many not be ideally positioned, but that's not important at all. Just a minor inconvenience.
>>
>>113705573
>doing your job correctly isn't important at all

Are you fucking serious?
>>
>>113705610
The job is to place the text on the image, it's not to please mentally-ill NEETs on an anonymous imageboard.
>>
>>113705573

Despite the title it's a fat enough font to be a hindrance depending on the type of balloon you meet. As unpopular as it may sound, Zud Juice shits all over it. Perfectly readable at any size, vertical slim font so it fits japanese-style balloons, it can get its spacing shrunk to nothingness and still be perfectly readable, italic and bolditalic have more oomph to them than Anime Ace. Unless you're working on floating text and you need a fat font to bullshit your way through, there's no reason to prefer anime ace.
>>
>>113705434

It's a tidal wave, you just have to hope you find someone interested enough to work on some raws that you post.
>>
File: 1355095773596.jpg (79KB, 847x478px) Image search: [Google]
1355095773596.jpg
79KB, 847x478px
>>113705556
>As long as it's not comic sans, it's a non-issue
>>
>>113705730

Many do it for the ego, if they don't see enough "drawing factor" they won't bother.
>>
>>113705008
Guess I'll just have to ask the typesetter.

>>113705498
The Chinese scan for chapter 3 doesn't have the original script, that's why we're waiting for the raw.

What about the raw for chapters 1 and 2? (How) is it filtered?
>>
File: typesettingguide102.png (948KB, 600x3587px) Image search: [Google]
typesettingguide102.png
948KB, 600x3587px
>>113705360
May be he is talking about the spacing?
>>
>>113705693
>Anime Ace
>fat
Stop. You don't know what a fat font is, you are embarrassing yourself. Maybe that's just your inane opinion, but please stop projecting it around. Keep your tastes to yourself.

It's really annoying to see all the hipsters hating on the popular fonts. First it was Anime Ace, which everyone ditched for pirated Wild Words. Then the hipsters started dissing Wild Words too. Now, apparently, we are supposed to use some niche unknown fonts that look like shit. Well, fuck you and your stupid opinions.

>>113705891
What spacing?
>>
>>113705943
The stuff on the pic i posted.It talk about most of thing of it.
>>
>>113705979
I skimmed through your image and didn't see the word "spacing" even once. So what spacing are you talking about?
>>
>>113705943
>Zud Juice
>niche
>>
File: aAYnVEg_460sa_v1.gif (1MB, 346x277px) Image search: [Google]
aAYnVEg_460sa_v1.gif
1MB, 346x277px
does anyone here makes money off of Scanslating mangas?

I'm actually very curious as to how much you price your commission.
Or how you take your payments... Paypal?
>>
>>113706062
Of course it's not niche now for all you newfags. Even two years ago, it was still pretty unknown. What about 5 or 10 years ago? Oh yeah, you were just starting primary school by then.
>>
File: japanese-raw-post-denoise.png (922KB, 1107x1600px) Image search: [Google]
japanese-raw-post-denoise.png
922KB, 1107x1600px
>>113705854

Fairly sure they topaz denoised. If abused it rapes your scans, if you touch your pages with it just a little bit it will take away some of the roughness from the detail.

Compare the halftones composing sky and colors in general, they are rough in the Japanese raw and all perfectly smooth in the china version. They worked on higher res scans so the result will be better.
>>
>>113704767
It's also the font they use for impassioned yelling which is ridiculous, seeing as how it's the blockiest, most unemotive font they could have used.
>>
File: 123761293861231 (3).png (411KB, 882x671px) Image search: [Google]
123761293861231 (3).png
411KB, 882x671px
FUCKING BOKURA WA MINNA KAWAISOU HAS SUCH SHIT SCANS ON THE RECENT CHAPTERS I COULD DO BETTER THAN THIS WITH MY EYES CLOSED
>>
>>113706152

I've always wanted to send them a mail with a few free shouting fonts, but do they deserve it?
>>
>>113706114
>making money off scanlation
>mangas
Just kill yourself, you fucking idiot.
>>
>>113705891
Do you have the first and other parts?

>Shaping a text block

I understand symmetry but doing stuff on my own, I get anal about phrase flow/emphasis as well. So the letter C choice there doesn't satisfy me. I'd do it like

We've got to
get to
the castle
before
it gets dark.

not left-aligned of course, centered)
>>
>>113706161
Then do it you faggot
>>
>>113706173
But that's awful.
>>
File: versatile.png (32KB, 572x475px) Image search: [Google]
versatile.png
32KB, 572x475px
>>113705943

Spacing.
>>
>>113706163
No, but it'd be better for us, so please show pity on them.

>Implying they'll change anything anyway
>>
>>113706128
>Now, apparently, we are supposed to use some niche unknown fonts that look like shit.
Stop living in the past.
>>
File: 123761293861231 (4).png (58KB, 262x347px) Image search: [Google]
123761293861231 (4).png
58KB, 262x347px
>>113706201
I DONT HAVE THE MANGA TO SCANLATE AND I DONT SPEAK NIP

But seriously, I don't understand how it's possible to produce such utter trash. It's nearly incomprehensible. I don't have examples because fuck that.
>>
File: 05_P3.jpg (135KB, 595x842px) Image search: [Google]
05_P3.jpg
135KB, 595x842px
>>113705891
>Anime Ace
Fuck the police.
>>
http://www.mediafire.com/download/gzyv0ywy4fdcwy7/IMG_0030.jpg

How does one deal with raws this huge? Was posted yesterday and I tried to do clean it without topaz but nothing actually looks good.
>>
File: 1410325542267.jpg (27KB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
1410325542267.jpg
27KB, 500x400px
>>113706165
chill nigga...

I've seen some anons at sadpanda threads and scanslations blog profit off it. So yeah the statement is just pure curiousity since paypal tends to shit on some "unaccounted" transactions...
>>
>>113706364
>I tried to do clean it without topaz
You don't need Topaz for cleaning, retard.
>>
>>113706364

Is he scanning straight into jpg, rather than tif or png?
>>
>>113706133
So the raw is already "topaz denoised" too? How can you fix rough tones yourself without scanning it again?

Sorry I'm brand new at this, just know how basic stuff like erasing and cropping (in GIMP). I'm hoping the group that scanned the Comic Aun issue with chapter 2 will scan the issue with chapter 1 so we can have consistent high res/quality scans.
>>
>>113706503

I topazed the raw to show it how it looks like, overlap the original with what I gave you and you'll immediately notice "my" half-tones are much smoother.
>>
>>113706466
That's how it was provided when someone asked for a page so I don't know
>>113668876
>>
>>113706300
>I DONT HAVE THE MANGA TO SCANLATE
FUCKING MANGAUPDATES THEN ANY FUCKING RAW SOURCE AND CHANCES ARE HIGH THAT YOU WILL FIND THOUSANDS OF TITLES AND SURELY THERE IS AT LEAST ONE THAT WOULD MAKE YOU INTERESTED

>I DONT SPEAK NIP
IT'S NOT THAT DIFFICULT IF YOU START WORKING HARD RIGHT NOW THEN IN A YEAR YOU WOULD BE PRETTY DECENT

Seriously, though, I'm going to project and guess that the real reason is that you don't want to work.
>>
>>113706536
I assume it plays havoc with text? Resorting to copy-paste for that, then...

Once I get it working on mine, I'll run chapter 1 through it and show the other guys, then hopefully we can update the gallery.
>>
>>113706677

Filter has nothing to do with text, text is slapped above whatever the page is.
>>
>>113706725
Yeah layers, but I don't have the work files, I'm not the typesetter.
>>
File: IMG_0030.png (346KB, 1094x1600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0030.png
346KB, 1094x1600px
>>113706364
Here's my attempt, I'm not very experienced so please tell me what I did wrong.
>>
what´s the best font for scanlators?
>>
>>113706917
Anime Ace
>>
File: 1390915408193.png (133KB, 1300x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1390915408193.png
133KB, 1300x1600px
>>113706917
I would say you can go with these.

For normal text i used comic crazy thought.
>>
>>113706419

He won't take away the paper texture off that scan unless he either crushes blacks, overlevels white to death or uses topaz denoise/clean.

>>113706917

Real scanlators? Anything but Anime Ace.
>>
>>113706944
Who's Kurt?
>>
>>113706944
What's the font in between Hangover Monday and JellyKa Estraya? I can't read it.
>>
>>113706917
You should use multiple fonts. >>113706944 and the FwPA font guides should give you some pretty good ideas to start with and it's unlikely you'll need to use any other fonts very often. Just choose a set of fonts that suit that manga and stick to them.

As a main dialogue font, however, Wild Words is rarely unsuitable, though should only be used if you can't think up something more fitting to use.
>>
>>113707099

HL Thuphap 1BK I think.
>>
>>113706944
P.S: the font are aslo on the link on the bottom right.
>>
>>113707029
The link in the pic takes you to a download for a font pack that also includes that pic and a read me. He's a scanlator.
>>
>>113707270
>>113707223
>>113706944
Don't click virus! :(
>>
File: IMG_0030.png (3MB, 4210x6000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0030.png
3MB, 4210x6000px
Didn't go too hard on blacks, but the dirty spots are very little, you can touch them up on your own. Ask your dutch wives if it's good enough.
>>
>>113707157
>Wild Words is rarely unsuitable, though should only be used if you can't think up something more fitting to use.

Just because it's overused?
>>
>>113707505
No, it's just a little bland. It usually doesn't look out of place or anything, but it doesn't always do the manga justice. Just use your discretion and decide if you could use something better.
>>
>>113707329
what?
>>
>>113706364
Manually find settings that work for topaz denoise, topaz clean, and level. Run that as a batch action on all the pages, and then go do some pushups or something while you wait for it to finish.
>>
File: IMG_0030.png (398KB, 966x1400px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0030.png
398KB, 966x1400px
>>113706364
Just some light topaz denoise 5 to get rid of the paper texture and done.
>>
>>113707505

95% of the words you had to cut because you used wild words could've been kept together using another font. It's the same reason os of why stuff like cccomicrazy doesn't quite work.
>>
>>113710196
That's so true.
>>
File: typesettingguide201.png (582KB, 600x4000px) Image search: [Google]
typesettingguide201.png
582KB, 600x4000px
>>113706173
>phrase flow/emphasis

Lining is important.

Daily reminder.
>>
File: fontguide3-shouts.png (46KB, 800x413px) Image search: [Google]
fontguide3-shouts.png
46KB, 800x413px
And more font guides.
>>
>>113710679
Literally nothing wrong with text boxes provided you still manually edit where it's needed.
>>
>>113710679

Shit font suggestions save for one or two, though.
>>
File: fontguide3.png (96KB, 1000x767px) Image search: [Google]
fontguide3.png
96KB, 1000x767px
>>113710794
I think the point was to stop lazy typesetters from just copy-pasting the translation into text boxes.

Nothing wrong with using them if you still manually line.

though why bother drawing out a text box if you're going to manually line it anyways
>>
File: 01.jpg (916KB, 1696x2400px) Image search: [Google]
01.jpg
916KB, 1696x2400px
Any translator anon around willing to do a short 11p Upotte doujin?
>>
>>113710832
>though why bother drawing out a text box if you're going to manually line it anyways
Because it's convenient actually convenient. The majority of the work is usually done save for maybe one or two instances of pressing enter.
>>
>>113710832
Because text boxes sometimes look okay even without touching them, and I'm used to doing it.
>>
>>113710885
I dunno, I spend a shitton of time relining things to make it look and sound better.

Seems like it'd be really annoying with a really thin bubble.

I fucking hate having to fix other typesetter's shit when there are text boxes. Makes my life ten times harder.
>>
>>113710943
Thin bubbles are hitler.
>>
File: chap.31.37.jpg (317KB, 640x916px) Image search: [Google]
chap.31.37.jpg
317KB, 640x916px
Post the best cleans you've ever seen.
>>
>>113711047
onidzuka.jpg
I don't even need to post it, because it's already burned into your memory.
>>
>>113710679
>split long words where it looks natural
>you don't need to split a word if you can avoid it

How about just not splitting at all and using background color for the text?
>>
>>113710845
Already did that 2 years ago http://exhentai.org/g/538456/4292edb020/
>>
>>113711260
Are there any Upotte doujins left?
>>
>>113711183
Are you retarded?
>>
>>113710679
Is GIMP's text tool the same as Photoshop's Text box? How do you line text in GIMP, because I end up manually adjusting within the text box anyway.
>>
>>113711329
Some anon once told me never to split.
>>
File: 1350904626538.gif (843KB, 213x183px) Image search: [Google]
1350904626538.gif
843KB, 213x183px
>>113711434
How do you even?
>>
>>113711870
>hemad.jpg

>>113710679
>You can fix lining by saying the word in your head, then splitting it at a point that sounds natural.
>With long words, continue to split them at the syllable.

Readability =/= no hyphenating

Keep being mad.
>>
File: 1410015697083.gif (999KB, 250x251px) Image search: [Google]
1410015697083.gif
999KB, 250x251px
What's the cheapest and best scanner for manga? I'm thinking of scanning some stuff, but the only scanner I have is the shitty all-in-one kind.
>>
>>113714400
Buy a scanner, not an all-in-one printer.

Canons are pretty good.
>>
>>113714400
You don't need to buy anything, just make sure your scanner is configured to scan at 300dpi
>>
File: cover.jpg (707KB, 1285x1800px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
707KB, 1285x1800px
DEM REDRAWS!
>>
>>113714400
Define cheapest. I got my Epson V37 for a little under $90 and it's excellent.
>>
>>113715374
Also http://exhentai.org/g/450700/7ea1a4b27f/
>>
File: 1390912498383.jpg (91KB, 350x504px) Image search: [Google]
1390912498383.jpg
91KB, 350x504px
Shit, forgot I had this.

>dat (c)
>>
>>113715578
The fact that someone actually added his name on that thing baffles me.
>>
Queen's Blade
>>
File: jesus christ how horrifying.png (136KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
jesus christ how horrifying.png
136KB, 1280x720px
>>113351315
>>113351277
The lazy editing at least makes some sort of sense. They didn't want to attempt some shitty redrawing they knew they couldn't do so they just put the English above it. But that second page, man. Wow.
>>
The anon that promised the Me and The Devil Blues tl here. Theres only about 2 lines that im having trouble comprehending so Im gonna work on those lines later today. Other than that its all done
>>
>>113719828
Which lines? Post them here. We can help.
>>
>>113720032
Its really just this line
????????????????????????????
>>
>>113720724
Something about bliss and something internal... Sory, I can't help.
>>
>>113720724
I don't have context, but what I'm getting is

There's no use in complaining all the time that you were born under a bad star.

Basically nothing's gonna happen/there's no reason to moan and groan about their shitty past.

I have no idea what the actual work is, but that's what I'm getting out of one look.
>>
>>113721172 again

Depending on the context, you could probably also go with
Why are you always complaining about your bad luck/ being born under a bad star?
>>
>>113721172
Ahhh. Thats it. Whats the ?? for? A shorter version of ?????
>>
>>113721172
Yeah, that's what I got out of it too.

>>113721259
I really should study more grammar, but I assume it's used as a combination of 'de' and 'wa' particles there.
>>
>>113721259
No.

?? is a contraction of ??.
???? is just a contraction of ????.

You see it used a lot to connect a long phrase to something that defines the phrase.

If you wanna separate it up grammatically:
[(??????????)??????-???]??? [???????]

[ (S was born under a bad star) lamenting/complaining about that - always/all the time ] (subject for next part) [ there's no meaning at all ]

The ?? and ? are used for emphasis. Normally you'd see it as ???? or ?????. It's kind of like adding 'whatsoever' or 'really'.
>>
Hey waterbasedlenses, you around?

Also, some anon posted that one PS script a while back. Compiled it into a usable file and stole a UI for it.
puu sh/bqs6a/673045c3df.zip
>>
>>113723495
So where exactly do I put this? I think I remember what this is but how do you use it?
>>
>>113725328
File -> Scripts -> Browse...

Just in general, it doesn't work very well, but it's decent.

And >PDF option
>>
>>113723495
What script is this?
>>
>>113725391
http://archive.moe/a/thread/113266415/#113269101

This with a UI I took off another program to make it easier to use
>>
>>113725505
Is that the same script though? The one that always gets posted shows someone making a selection between the page and the area to be cut out and this doesn't seem to require that. Looks like it's someone's attempt to figure it out.
>>
>>113725747
It's something someone got out of google, going by the posts.
>>
>>113725747
No, guy literally says. "This is what a few minutes of googling got me."
>>
Are there certain translators that I can maybe request help from? I know about Hox but are there others on here that usually do quality work? I have had it to here with third-rates that think they know what they're doing and don't and lazy asses.
>>
Rubbers 7.

It's going...slow.
>>
>>113726138
What do you need help with?

Are you looking for someone to translate something for you?

Or are you looking for help translating a line or two, like the anon above?

I usually trip but I'm not doing so for this thread; would be happy to help with another line.
>>
>>113726138
>Are there certain translators that I can maybe request help from?
What is the nature of your request? I'm not a TL, but depending on what exactly you want, certain people may or may not help you. Hox won't just help you with anything, for example. Also, he's mainly a translator, so when you say that you want quality work, if you want high quality cleaning then Hox isn't your guy.
>>
>>113725881
>>113725862
Yeah my bad I actually read it now. It just runs photoshop's built in automatic crop/straighten script. It's not terrible, but it does miss things sometimes. Still speeds up the process a bit at least. I already use that in the initial action I run anyway.

They one that usually gets posted seems to be making that selection in order to make some sort of comparison between the page and the scanner bed that makes it not miss things. Wish we could get that script.
>>
>>113726216
>>113726279
>Are you looking for someone to translate something for you?
Yes I just need translations for a manga, if he's interested. I know there are fast translators for LNs (js06, Spryo, MT guy etc) but manga guys are harder to find for some reason.
>>
>>113726358
So you want someone to translate something for you?

Good luck. You'd have to find someone taking requests, and get them interested enough in the manga that they'd want to do it.

That or commission it, but to be honest, the commissioners you find online aren't always that good. And they can be fucking expensive.

I'm not taking requests at the moment; too many things I'm working on. And when I do, I only do stuff that I'm personally interested in. Such is the life of translating for free on the internet.
>>
>>113726358
You can always go ask Elemhunter. Or request someone to pick it up in OPT.
>>
>>113726358
If you can edit and would be willing to, you're more likely to get someone on board. TF might help if they're not busy, but you could also get in touch with the Habanero Scans guy and see if he can find someone. Of course, the important thing is to mention the manga you're interested in. If you do, there may even be someone in this thread who'll help.
>>
>>113726615
I don't think Elemhunter does translations.

>>113726624
TF's busy.
>>
>>113726712
>I don't think Elemhunter does translations.
He doesn't, but he helps organise projects, and he can try and find you a translator, just tell him what you want to work on and you should probably tell everyone in this thread because no one will be willing to help you translate unless they know what you want translated.
>>
Speaking of translations, I need an expression similar to vacuum for cocks. Like:
>You mother is like a vacuum for cocks!
I would use vacuum for cocks, but I think there are better alternatives in English.
>>
>>113726978
Needs more context but we do use the phrase "like a Hoover" with some frequency in English to describe someone who sucks a lot of cock or sucks very well.
>>
>>113726978
What's the implication? That she attracts cocks because she's so hot? That she can fit five cocks in her pussy? That she can suck cock really well?
>>
>>113727039
>>113727081
There's no context, really. Just some guy calling some woman "Vacuum for cocks", or some such.
>>
File: comic master j.jpg (228KB, 843x1207px) Image search: [Google]
comic master j.jpg
228KB, 843x1207px
>>113726856
Okay.
>>
>>113727148
But what's he trying to imply in Japanese?

My post >>113727081 still stands.

Or you could just post the page.
>>
>>113727148
Well "like a Hoover" is usually used colloquially in reference to blowjobs, not really vaginal intercourse, but that probably works. Hoover is a well-known brand of vacuum cleaner and it flows better that way.
>>
>>113726978
Dick vacuum might work.
>>
>>113726978
>>113727148
Dick Magnet
International Cock Station
Semen Singularity

Are any of those good?
>>
Your mom has a real penchant for penile penetration.
>>
File: WIM12-0216.jpg (306KB, 807x1200px) Image search: [Google]
WIM12-0216.jpg
306KB, 807x1200px
>>113727251
Here is the page. The text is the next to last bubble. It says:
????? ???
I don't know Japanese, I translate from the French versions where it's translated as "Vacuum of cocks"

>>113727273
>>113727350
>>113727382
Thanks guys, I like cock (prefer to dick) vacuum and hoover.
>>
>>113727644
That's not ? that's ?
>>
>>113727744
Well, then the literal "Blowjob vacuum" is not a bad choice, I guess.
>>
>>113727644
Looks like a Japanese version of the "fuck her right in the pussy" thing.
>>
>>113711853
Not lines, just words.
>>
File: nooooo.gif (1MB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
nooooo.gif
1MB, 400x225px
>>113727644
That's a ? man.

Vacuum fella = vaccum fellatio.

Looks like just a bunch of guys being assholes in the background. That's probably why the French put the "your mom" in there.

But I know nothing about the manga.

Also

>translating a manga from a translation
>mfw
>>
>>113710679
>why you should never use text boxes
Now this is what I call unnecessary elitism.
>>
>>113727954
It's pretty silly. You don't make a tiny box inside the bubble. You make a big box that fits around it and then you do line it manually like was described previously. I'm not even sure what method it implies you should use instead of text boxes.
>>
>>113728248
She wants you to just click on the bubble and type shit manually (if you just copy paste the text you end up with a long line that goes out of the page more often than not) and separate shit manually instead of just make text box -> copy paste -> fix text.
>>
>>113727910
>>translating a manga from a translation
I just had to. It's because:
>this is probably the best manga I've read
>scanlation died almost five years ago
>Ten out of 14 volumes scanlated
>English fans haven't even read the last volume, which is super controversial and very famous for that
It's a sin not to have this manga scanlated. I've waited long time for some group to pick it, and GWR was about to do it, but I said fuck it and decided to do it myself. I have the volumes on me anyway.
>>
>>113728454
I draw a text box around my bubble and when I paste in, the text it doesn't just make one long ass line. It fits it inside the box. What program doesn't make it fit inside the bounds of the box you've drawn?
>>
>>113728570
No no, open up a page and just click, don't make the text box. Just click and try pasting in text. She wants you to use that method (minus the pasting).
>>
>>113728626
That's retarded. Why would I type it manually when I can just paste it? It doesn't just make one long line that goes off the page if you draw a box first.
>>
>>113728692
Because elitism.
>>
>>113728692
Because
>textboxes are evil, don't use them
mentality.
>>
>>113728454
Thanks, so I've been doing it right in GIMP all along by manually typing everything. >>113711355
>>
>>113728731
Everything else on there is perfectly wonderful advice, but that part is just stupid. Making a box and pasting will save you a shit ton of time and you'll end up with the same exact results. You don't just paste it in and just go with that. You paste it in and then go back and fix things based on the advice given on the rest of that guide. You also won't have to worry about making typos assuming someone has proof-read the script.
>>
>>113728831
You're just wasting time.
>>
>>113728831
After you type out everything that someone already typed out, do you go back and proofread it to make sure you didn't make any typos?
>>
>>113728846
Exactly, I don't typeset until the script has been proofread and then just use text boxes which take care of most of the work anyways. Saves up a lot of time on the long run.
>>
>>113728985
It's not a race and I'm a perfectionist...
>>
>>113728831
I like manually typing because I'm also the translator.

I change so much when I'm typesetting on the fly, mostly because I'm finding better ways to phrase things. There's also times when the wording of a sentence makes a really weird bubble shape, so I'll change the translation to help me typeset, too.
>>
>all these people circlejerking over trivial stuff

Is this perfection what actually powers the neckbeard culture in this board?
>>
>>113730115
And what about the people that aren't translating it, just typesetting it? There's no need for them to have to type everything out when the TLer and proofer should have take care of that already.
>>
>>113730348
>implying I care if you manually type or not

As long as it doesn't look like shit, I couldn't care less what you're doing.
>>
>>113730403
I'm talking about the silly guide.
>>
File: stanlee-heroman.jpg (12KB, 286x200px) Image search: [Google]
stanlee-heroman.jpg
12KB, 286x200px
>>113730342
Excelsior.
>>
>>113730464
The guide doesn't even tell you to manually type in everything, just to manually line it properly.
>>
>>113730555
>don't use text boxes
If you paste it without a text box it will basically create a long line that goes outside the page. Only way to avoid that is it type manually, which she does.
>>
>>113730555
>>113730615

Pretty sure the 'don't use text boxes' was more of a 'don't use text boxes to line everything, do it by hand' kind of thing.
>>
>>113731099
It's not, I've talked to her about it before. It was meant as a don't use text boxes at all kind of thing.
>>
>>113731167
No, I'm pretty sure she doesn't care, as long as it looks good. The guide was made to keep newer typesetters from relying on it to do their work for them.
>>
Does it really matter. She is a fucking stupid cunt, that much is clear from her works.
>>
Slowly learning how to typeset.
>>
File: eat-popcorn-pingu.gif (457KB, 180x166px) Image search: [Google]
eat-popcorn-pingu.gif
457KB, 180x166px
>>113731407
Does OP's doujin artist have a story? I'm all for mangaka drama.
>>
>>113731576
If you're looking for stuff to practice on, I'd recommend looking through the boorus for things that are translated.
>>
What's everyone working on?
>>
File: 156438025051520.png (38KB, 640x391px) Image search: [Google]
156438025051520.png
38KB, 640x391px
>>113731680
It's not related to OP's image and despite of the fact that the scanlation scene is full of drama, this particular instance is not so much. It's about this shitty group Futari wa Pretty Anon, which are just a bunch of cancerous weeaboo tumblrites, landwhales of course, who whore themselves on 4chan for attention. Most of their projects are stupid and boring as fuck, usually some retarded moeshit SoL. Their cleaning and editing sucks ass in particular, but the rest is barely passable too, which should be obvious just from their ``guides'' that they viral nonstop on /a/. Speaking of viraling their shit, they have the audacity to dump their shitty scanlation on /a/ all the time, and on top of it using a trip, despite the irony of the group's name.
tl;dr a bunch of insufferable cunts from tumblr who frequent /a/ and spread their cancer all around
>>
>>113732623
>Futari wa Pretty Anon
>>
File: 1350311587830.gif (239KB, 300x401px) Image search: [Google]
1350311587830.gif
239KB, 300x401px
>>113732623
Holy fucking shit, you are mad.
>>
>>113732623

If we could somehow harvest your asspain, I can probably trade it for a translation of a dead series.
>>
>>113732764
Yup, they are stupid like that.
>>113732800
>>113732808
Here comes the tumblr brigade! Why don't you go immolate yourselves, dipshits?
>>
>>113732907

>I'll throw "tumblr" in, that'll teach Anonymous

Are you by chance the little girl who was rejected while submitting this clean?

>>113711047
>>
>>113732907
Dude why do you care so much about some scanlation group?

What did they do, steal your project or something?
>>
>>113732623
So what did they do to YOU in particular that provoked this reaction from you.
>>
Speaking of mad, anyone got any of Prozess' rants? Those are great.
>>
>>113726304
Here, try these >programs
puu sh/bznfI/193bca2a26.zip

Wrote some instructions for that shit and even included a PS droplet.
>>
>>113733373

I'd like some more rants in general. I still haven't read Utopia's on Prison School.
>>
>>113733032
No? Why the fuck would I even apply for such a shit group? I'd rather solo-scanlate shoujo doujinshi and yaoi.

>>113733086
No, it's impossible for them to steal a project of mine because I don't work on shitty manga, especially moeshit and SoL. And no, I don't give a rat's ass about them. Someone asked and I decided to explain to them how cancerous this group is.

>>113733109
They scanlate shitty manga and they spread their tumblrous cancer all over /a/. Fuck them. They should get back to tumblr and reddit and stay the fuck there. Of only you newfags didn't eat their shit like it's the best thing since sliced bread...
>>
>>113733815
>moeshit
Opinion discarded.
>>
File: 1285027908308.png (26KB, 707x403px) Image search: [Google]
1285027908308.png
26KB, 707x403px
>>113733815
Also, using buzzwords like moeshit really kill any argument you had in the first place.
>>
>>113733815

>like it's the best thing since sliced bread...

You reek of the cancer that you speak of. You just sound like some buttmad teenager whose work got rejected.
>>
>>113733815
You've piqued my interest, post some manga you've worked on then, and preferably without an aggressive tone indicative of Anal Hurt. Maybe you could even tell us what some good series are, not like those shitty SoL and moeshit manga they do.
>>
>>113697669
>ripping

I not too long ago finished scanning this in its entirety:

http://shop.melonbooks.co.jp/shop/detail/211000024280

I started as soon as I got it but then put it down for about a year. I haven't started cleaning yet. Someone will probably produce scans of it sometime before I finish, but I don't mind.
>>
Are people still mad about TL-fag blogging in MM threads that it causes this much asspain?
>>
>>113733815
Not gonna comment on that newfag argument.
But I'd like to know why you consider them to be cancerous attention whores for using trips while there are several people who are tripfagging in every thread they post in while not contributing to anything else but the topic in any thread they post in.
Further more I'd like to know why you think they come from tumblr and reddit.
>>
>>113734445
I don't think that's it. This guy's hatred is on another level from the usual hatred of TF for stuff like that. Plus, it's not just TF he hates - it's everything about FwPA he hates. He must have another reason, like them rejecting his shitty typesetting or something.
>>
>>113733905
>>113733922
Here come the moepigs, zealously defending their pestilence. Fuck off back to tumblr with you lot!

>>113733947
And you sound like a stupid newfag. End yourself.

>>113734108
It's out of the question for me to share my work as that will reveal my identity, which defeats the purpose of this website. If you are looking for good series, there are plenty, certainly too much for me to list here. If you are looking for particular groups, here are some:
HappyScans
Hi Wa Mata Noboru
Guren no Heya Kara
Hokuto no Gun
Hox
Kotonoha(defunct)
Illuminati-Manga
Gantz_Waitingroom(defunct)
Mangascreener(defunct)
and many others

>>113734458
Dude, it's fucking obvious you are a newfag. Lurk more before asking stupid questions. Just because others use tripcodes wrongly doesn't mean you should do it too. Why they come from tumblr/reddit? If you cannot tell by their obvious behaviour, then you should probably just go to their fucking tumblr:
http://translatoranon.tumblr.com/
It's well-known fact that they coordinate themselves via tumblr and other cancerous websites. I have no idea why they decided to torment 4chan with their presence.
>>
>>113734691

>It's out of the question for me to share my work as that will reveal my identity

I can't tell if you're serious or not, but you have to be at least 18 to view this site.
>>
>>113697669
Can any of you guys find a list of all momoiro melodik raws? I could only find it up to ch. 51 on baidu.
>>
>>113734691
Thanks for the link, will peruse their works and donate.
>>
>>113734691
>It's well-known fact that they coordinate themselves via tumblr and other cancerous websites.
Nice joke, they do it through irc.
>>
>>113706133
Dang, should have asked earlier. Got topaz working, so what settings did you run this page through? Preset light?
>>
>>113734691

GWR isn't defunct you retard.
>>
>>113734752
Maybe you should fuck back to facebook if you don't want to talk with people anonymously.

>>113734794
You are out of luck, pal. That link will only lead you to a steam of kerotexting, epic memes and attentionwhoring. But hey, while you are there, you can forget about 4chan altogether. Please don't come back.
>>
>>113734691
Keep on riding that newfag argument. Maybe you'll get it off.
Any other points on why you consider them cancer?
>>
>>113734880

>their work is shit, I can tell from my own experience
>"Can you share some of that experience, then, to validate yourself?"
>N-no, I don't need to, you might send pizza to my house, just go with my butt-devastated rant as I try to fit in

Are you from /v/?
>>
>>113734868
Yeah, they just changed the management and barely released anything in an year. You are a moron.

>>113734889
What's it to you, cunt? Do you want a details report on why some guy on an anonymous imageboard doesn't like your shitty group? Fuck off, this is not tumblr.

>>113734985
Who are you quoting?
>>
>>113734691
>It's out of the question for me to share my work as that will reveal my identity, which defeats the purpose of this website.
Grow some balls.
>>
So I guess you're all part of this group then? Kind of hilarious how you all jumped to their defense as soon as someone said something bad about them. I don't know you or what you work on, but I do think that thing in your guide about not using text boxes is stupid. Of course it doesn't do all the work for you; nothing does. You copy and paste your text into the box and then you fix it. You avoid needlessly retyping a bunch of shit that someone else has already typed and presumably someone else or multiple people have proofread. You save time. It's not about making it a race, it's about being efficient and not wasting time. You also reduce the risk of creating new typos. Everything else in that guide seems like spot on good advice, and the Honoka picture is adorable, but I have to agree the whole text boxes are evil thing is dumb. Just my two cents. Feel free to call me mad or whatever.
>>
>>113734752
I'm the guy he replied to, and taking the full quote:
>It's out of the question for me to share my work as that will reveal my identity, which defeats the purpose of this website.
I actually accept this.

That said, he should stop spouting buzzwords like "moeshit" and generalizing all SoL manga as bad, and I would rather he have mentioned a couple of actual titles. Looking over the list though, I note that HWMN does mostly Toriko (shit), Gintama (shit) and JoJo (good), which may be indicative of his taste. Which is to say, he probably likes some good stuff, but also gravitates towards some mediocre battle shounen too.

Back to the original point, though, he should still post some examples of his work, in some form or another.
>>
>>113735044

We're not really discussing whether FWPA is a shit group or not (I'm not too fond of those typesetting guides), just an anon who's really bad at making arguments other than screaming "muh tumblr" and buzzwords over and over again.
>>
>>113735044
Only two people here didn't agree that the no text boxes thing was stupid, at least read what's being said. Right now one retard is overly mad about something completely unrelated and that's what's being talked about.
>>
>>113735013

>07/30/14 Spriggan 1 (Bunko Version) 1-10 + Extra Gantz_Waitingroom

All right man.
>>
>>113735044
I don't really have an opinion on them since I don't read their stuff. This anon is just fucking hilarious.

I remember TF posting some story about getting death threats for some ecchi manga he grabbed off another group. I bet this mad guy was probably one of the guys in the other group.
>>
>>113735217
>he
>>
>>113735013
You seem to like tumblr a lot.
Why don't you just answer my question?
And it's neither my group, nor am I a part of it.
I'm just curious and can't read your mind.
Neither is cancer the same to everyone, so I want to know what cancer is to you.
>>
>>113735160
>>113735106
You seem pretty defensive though. So is that a yes then? I'm having trouble understanding why people would get so defensive and start shouting "you mad" all of a sudden like that is all.
>>
>>113735362
No, I'm not part of the group in fact I dislike their leader due to the blogging among other things she has done in the past. But this guy is really retarded.
>>
>>113735362
>I'm having trouble understanding why people would get so defensive and start shouting "you mad" all of a sudden like that is all

Are you serious? Read >>113732623 and his following posts over again.
>>
>>113735362

How long have you been on 4chan?

This shit is great. Keep it coming. God knows us scanlators love our drama.
>>
File: 1337732388181.png (60KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1337732388181.png
60KB, 200x200px
>>113735029
Grow some brain and learn how to receive some critique, cunt.

>>113735090
Here are some of my favourite authors, make what you want of that:
Jiro Matsumoto
Taiyou Matsumoto
Kazuhiro Fujita
Makoto Raiku
Yukinobu Hoshino
Keiichi Koike

I cannot share examples of my work because they bear my name (nickname) on them, which has an identity associated with it.

>>113735179
Okay, my mistake. In my defense, it's a rather new release,

>>113735265
What points do you want? The moment you start posting on tumblr, you are cancer. That's ignoring the attentionwhoring, tripfagging (basically the same), and all the rest.
>>
File: 001.png (2MB, 1120x1600px) Image search: [Google]
001.png
2MB, 1120x1600px
Gentleman,i had bought Bessatsu Shonen Magazine 2014-10 digital. Rip coming soon.
>>
>>113735618
I find it hilarious that you're calling her out on tripfagging when Hox tripfags yet you recommend him.
>>
>>113735618

Are you afraid that anonymous people on the internet will judge your work?
>>
>>113735466
Since 2006 and I'm not the initial person you started arguing with. I'm pretty new to the scanlation scene though but I'm already well-aware of the love for drama. There's nothing to keep coming here, I was just looking for an answer to a question that most of you are avoiding answering.
>>
>>113735647
Dude, awesome! I didn't know they were doing digital releases.

Shit, wish they were doing that when I was translating something out of the magazine. Would have made cleaning that shit print quality way easier.
>>
>>113735660
I recommend his scanlations, not himself, idiot. I've said plenty of shit on his address. At the very least, he is a mod, which automatically makes him a cancerous fuck.

>>113735694
No, why would I care? Besides, there is nothing to judge. My work is next to flawless.
>>
>>113735647

>1600px

Are we no longer in the 1200px era, or does that ebook have better budget/store? The only thing I know of in there is the one on page 260 and 215. Who else is ripping digital mags? Anything else that should be ripped?
>>
>>113735747
>Hox
>mod
I wish he was a mod, he'd care about the quality of the board and have banned you by now for derailing the thread.
>>
>>113735747
>Hox
>a mod

Shit nigga what are you smoking?
>>
>>113735785

He was on the list of leaked mods, retard.

Of course, that list is dubious, but Hox has always avoided the mod question.
>>
>>113735700
I'm not part of FWPA. I don't even read anything from them. I'm just reveling in the sudden asspain in this thread. Is that a sufficient answer or do you want me to give you my life story and social security number as well?
>>
File: img0010005.jpg (84KB, 347x386px) Image search: [Google]
img0010005.jpg
84KB, 347x386px
What's with the meme of using fonts that only have capital letters?
Why is it important to make sure everyone is constantly screaming?
>>
>>113733469
I was going to post the fuke one but hey, what do you know, there's already a massive rant going on now.
>>
File: 1408067404225.jpg (65KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1408067404225.jpg
65KB, 640x480px
>>113735785
>>113735792
Oh, you poor clueless newfags.
>>
>>113735853
>meme
I don't think you know what that word is.
>>
>>113735618
You didn't even point some critique anywere, let alone at me, and just threw some hatred along with shit talking into this thread.
>>
>>113735853
That bugs me too. 99% of series would look better if people used fonts with lower-case letters as well and most of it would be a shit-ton easier to fit inside bubbles as well.
>>
>>113735873
>an element of a culture or system of behavior that may be considered to be passed from one individual to another by nongenetic means, especially imitation.

Hmmm?
>>
>>113735948
Using capital letter fonts for scanlation is a standard, not a meme.
>>
File: 01p010(C).jpg (169KB, 675x1038px) Image search: [Google]
01p010(C).jpg
169KB, 675x1038px
I recently cleaning raws for old manga that I think look interesting and doing some volunteer work for happy scans. I can't really spare time for much more than that though. Although I seriously hate denoiseing things. Like whenever I use one of the add ons for it it looks fuzzy so I just end up trying to do it by hand.
>>
>>113735878
That's it. I am sure you are a cunt. And if a cunt like you is so defensive about FWPA, then you are either part of the group itself or of its tumblr clique. Fuck back off to where you came from. I've given you enough "critique" why FWPA are pure cancer. If you don't see it, you don't belong here.
>>
>>113735948
It's a custom, not a meme.
>>
>>113735992
Sure, whatever. Why though?
>>
File: 002.png (3MB, 1120x1600px) Image search: [Google]
002.png
3MB, 1120x1600px
>>113735768
Afternoon 2014-10 and YmThe3rd were ripped,i think the one were left are Dengeki,and misc Kondansha ones.

Here the other catalog. Tell me if anyone need the listed work uploaded first.
>>
>>113736025
Because at the start people only used Wild Words so the idea of capital letter font just stuck from that.
>>
File: 1369134275012.jpg (104KB, 375x500px) Image search: [Google]
1369134275012.jpg
104KB, 375x500px
>>113735992
Now this sounds like petty semantics.
>>
>>113736025
Because the guys over at tumblr cannot give translator and proof readers intelligent enough to capitalize the right letters.
>>
What programs do you guys use to read manga?
>>
>>113735618
Right now you are the cancerous blogging guy.
You started to grab attention through that initial hate post, followed by arguing with nothing but hot air, telling us you don't want to show work samples (I'm sure someone who's an editor or typesetter has pages he didn't release anywhere and isn't associated with).
>>
>people dissing Ran's Grey World
back the fuck off
>>
>>113735618
>Here are some of my favourite authors, make what you want of that:
Admittedly, you have some pretty solid taste, though from your above attacks on "moeshit" and the SoL genre, you should probably expand your horizons.

Also, I do question why you would put a name on your work if you're worried about that name getting out, but then again, after the stuff you've posted in this thread, it might be a good idea not to. However, I would refrain from such harsh criticisms, such as saying all their cleaning is shit, when you aren't backing it up with what you can do.

You may also want to stop posting in such an aggressive style - I'm not trying to seem like a tumblr faggot complaining that you might offend people, but you are making yourself a subject of mockery by acting so mad.
>>
>>113736056

I only recognize the two that I listed. I really should look more into ongoing series.
>>
>>113736075
CDisplayx on Windows. comix on *nix.
>>
>>113736059
So what you're saying is, that it's a behavior that was passed from one individual to another by imitation? There is no actual reason for it?

I think a lot of things would look nicer with lower-case lettering, not to mention that they would take up less space and allow them to be fit inside smaller bubbles without shrinking them as much. Readability is a good thing.
>>
>>113736075
cdisplayex on my desktop
cover on my sp3
>>
He's only posted the equivalent of "they suck, they just do because I'm a flawless editor, okay? Just believe me" over and over again. FWPA's skills aside, I don't know why that kind of underage argument is being entertained rather than ignored.
>>
>>113736075
Honeyview on PC, PerfectViewer on tablet.
>>
>>113736020
Critique isn't "this shitty group", "Their cleaning and editing sucks ass in particular" and "they have the audacity to dump their shitty scanlation".
Those are just plain insults without any indication of what's wrong.
You could write that, for your taste, their editors could work on their skills, alongside with examples or suggestions for improvement.
If you don't like them posting their releases on /a/, you could tell them directly or propose a new board/global rule about it.
>>
File: reallyfaggot.jpg (13KB, 117x200px) Image search: [Google]
reallyfaggot.jpg
13KB, 117x200px
>>113736328
>>113736219
>I'm honestly not a member of this group!
>I defend their honor on the internet for free!
>>
>>113736402

You really can't form an argument, can you? Thread's derailed, at least, so there's some success.
>>
>>113736402
Why don't you try to enter the argument?
Focus is on argument, not name calling and insults.
>>
>>113736089
>editor or typesetter has pages he didn't release anywhere and isn't associated with
I have none like that. All my work has been released or will be released in the near future.

>>113736105
>>113736328
It's unreasonable to claim that I cannot give criticism if I don't supply examples of my own work. I am able to give my opinion just by looking at their work and any anyone with a bit of brain can confirm how awful it is. I am not going to waste my time on proving you with examples. Just go look at some of their work, it's pretty obvious.
>>
>>113736428
>>113736499
>I'll shout "you mad" because he made me mad by insulting me personally
>>
>>113736547

If you're just going to shitpost, at least try to be less transparent about it.
>>
>>113736089
>You started to grab attention through that initial hate post,

Why did that hate catch your attention so much though, anon? He was just answering someone else's question. Seems like you took it pretty personally though.
>>
File: 1410580205011.jpg (51KB, 472x544px) Image search: [Google]
1410580205011.jpg
51KB, 472x544px
>internet nerd drama
>>
>>113736528
>It's unreasonable to claim that I cannot give criticism if I don't supply examples of my own work.

You already claimed to have flawless editing work, champ. >>113735747
Keep moving those goalposts though.
>>
>>113736590
You really did have your feelings hurt pretty badly by that guy huh? No, no, I'm sure you just take it upon yourself to point out holes in arguments wherever you see them because you're a champion for logic and reason and this has nothing to do with being personally insulted at all.
>>
>>113736613
It derailed the thread.
>>
>>113736635
Please, I said "almost flawless". Even someone with my passion and determination misses a pixel or two from time to time.
>>
>>113736623

Fuck off Verty.
>>
>>113736654
It didn't though. People getting upset about it did.
>>
File: 1327087126116s.jpg (3KB, 126x126px) Image search: [Google]
1327087126116s.jpg
3KB, 126x126px
>>113736696
1. I'm not your magical namefag
2. Stop.
>>
>>113736683

What a subtle attempt to dodge justifying your baseless claim of "next to flawless" editing. How far do you want to move them back?
>>
>>113697669
I want to help with the typesetting of tsugumomo but i can't contact the project guys.
>>
>>113736528
>It's unreasonable to claim that I cannot give criticism if I don't supply examples of my own work.
Correct.

>I am able to give my opinion just by looking at their work and any anyone with a bit of brain can confirm how awful it is.
Unless you're referring to some of their older stuff or a few minor instances I think it's pretty good.

>I am not going to waste my time on proving you with examples. Just go look at some of their work, it's pretty obvious.
So, despite having been saying how bad their stuff is for the past hour and a half, you aren't going to take a couple of minutes to find a single example of how bad their stuff is, and instead just say that it's obviously bad? That's pretty amazing.
>>
>derailed by one shitposter

Great job guys. See you in next week's thread I suppose.
>>
File: s y.jpg (339KB, 3840x1080px) Image search: [Google]
s y.jpg
339KB, 3840x1080px
just some redraws for shinobi yoru
>>
>>113736797
Go ask the guy when tsugumomo theard poped up. It will be made if he want to.
>>
>>113736829
Holy hell, you need to just give it up and stop taking everything on the internet so fucking personally.
>>
Huh I didn't know there was so much drama with this shit. I'll make sure to stay as far away from the community as possible.
>>
>>113736894
>Holy hell, you need to just give it up and stop taking everything on the internet so fucking personally.
I just find it amusing.
>>
>>113736829
Dude, just stop replying. He's just trying to start shit because he knows TF was in the thread earlier.

Trolls gonna troll, etc.
>>
>>113736877
Semi-transparent speech bubbles are fucking gay.
>>
>>113736528
I have said nowhere that examples of your own work are necessary for you giving criticism.
I gave examples of what criticism is and pointed out that you just insulted them based on nothing but your own opinion and didn't give any criticism.
If you go by that logic, any hate speech from extremists are only critic.
>>
>>113736946
The best is when they're over some shoujo character's hair.

Let's redraw every single strand of it so it can be covered up later!

Fuck it.
>>
>>113698408
I help with scanlations because there's stuff I want to read out there that I can't. It's pretty selfish but I only help out so I can get the end product and read the manga in the end.
>>
>>113736990
>hate speech from extremists

Stop fucking trolling already.
>>
>>113736528
>I am a bigshot who knows everything about scanlation, and this is shit!
>picsoritdidnthappen.jpg
>Who said I had to provide proof? Just listen to me, I know what I'm talking about
>>
>>113736946
thankfully for this series it's only when a panel is trying to be scenic, the normal dialogue panels are pretty easy
>>
File: 1410389812315.png (295KB, 782x720px) Image search: [Google]
1410389812315.png
295KB, 782x720px
>this thread
>>
New System Engineer chapter when?
>>
>>113737040
To be honest, it was a pretty bad example, but in my opinion it fits quite well.
>>
File: chapter 8 live tl.jpg (683KB, 1091x1600px) Image search: [Google]
chapter 8 live tl.jpg
683KB, 1091x1600px
>>113706300
>>113706161
Deja vu
>>
>>113737146
Just remember not to say anything bad about FWPA in the next one because apparently they're here and don't know how to deal with trolls.
>>
File: img000008.png (410KB, 1124x1600px) Image search: [Google]
img000008.png
410KB, 1124x1600px
>>113736829
You have a luck. In the latest chapter they've released, the first page is already fucking awfully cleaned. The cunt doesn't know anything about editing, which is quite obvious from the leveling. She tried to crush the black, but overleveled the page instead. Not only that, but the cunt didn't even bother to clean the dust and speckle and the blacks are dirty as fuck. Also five bubbles left undone. So not only a failed cleaning/editing, but failed scanlation as a whole.

That took more than a couple of minutes. Fuck you, trolls.
>>
>>113737168

Ask Pudding Heart.
>>
>>113737213
Okay, that actually is pretty ugly. They probably just don't do SFX though so I'm not sure you should count those "unfinished bubbles" but the leveling and general lack of actual cleaning beyond just taking the text out of the bubbles is very apparent and I'm a total newb here.
>>
>>113737213
Now you should get rid of that "cunt" and the other insults and we can have a decent argument.
>>
>>113737209

I'm amazed so many people even responded to someone who didn't even form a coherent argument. Shit talk a group all you want, but at least provide some examples to back yourself up beyond "I'm good, they suck" and sounding really angry all the time (with a strange fixation on Tumblr).
>>
>>113737168
Maybe soon. I've had chapter 10 halfway translated for awhile, just haven't felt like getting back to it until recently since I finally finished reading Comic Studio.
>>
>>113737417
>Now you should get rid of that "cunt"

It seems to me that he would like to if he could.
>>
>>113737213
I agree with you on the speckles and dust failing to denoise is pretty sloppy. However aren't those bubbles just sfx? Do they really need to clean them if they don't translate those?
>>
>>113737497
Well she does have a cunt, so it applies in this case.
>>
>>113737473

Oh, is SE your first experience with the author? Or are you just now finishing CS? The live TL CS threads were fun. It started with a guy doing storytime for it, and then the translations slowly came until ydwtt finished it. The final chapter was a fun thread.
>>
>>113737209
Pretty sure none of them are actually in this thread.

I know everyone needs someone to hate, but come on, man. No need to project.
>>
>>113737386
That pages is at about their average quality. They have some better ones, but also some which are much worse. They also do not edit double pages, and generally nothing outside of the dry translations and typesetting.

>>113737417
Why would I want to have an argument, let alone a decent one? I stated my opinions numerous times, there is nothing to argue about.
>>
File: img_02.jpg (44KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
img_02.jpg
44KB, 300x300px
http://wp.me/pSRs2-wv

Just leaving this here. Instead of writing a guide, I'd rather answer questions/give advice about how to deal with specific problems, so if you've got any, throw them at me.
>>
I can't even fathom how you're supposed to keep up with dozens of ongoing magazines. I just rely on /a/ and new Batoto chapters alongisde an RSS Natalie News feed for my favorite mangaka.
>>
File: 1410554197572.jpg (62KB, 764x704px) Image search: [Google]
1410554197572.jpg
62KB, 764x704px
>promised to translate a manga for someone
>mfw a month and a half later, haven't gotten started on it
>>
>>113737617
Oh she is anon. Just look for the one using all those spoilers on the text.
>>
Whatever happened with that Kissu Manga .gif Batoto shit? Do they still do 15 pre-chapter "credit pages" and imagine themselves as facing a great war against anyone who dares to work on their series?
>>
>>113737627
>They also do not edit double pages

Pretty sure they do. I know TF blogs about doing double pages all the time in these threads.
>>
>>113737571
Started reading SE before CS, but I remember seeing ydwtt's dumps a few months ago. Just didn't think of it much at the time.

But yeah, I'll get back to that one starting tomorrow. Also got the chapter 11 tank raws a few days ago too from Habanero.
>>
>>113737571

>ydwtt

RIP in pieces.

http://ydwtt.com/

>This Account Has Been Suspended
>>
All that ever gets translated is shit.
>>
>>113737802

Forgot

>Batoto
>Last Active Jul 02 2014 10:22 AM
>>
Was he right /a/?

Yes he was.
>>
>>113737860

Vortex Scans pls go
>>
>>113737802
For a second there, I thought that said ytmnd.com
>>
>>113736696
Fuck off Royal.
>>
>>113737802

Well shit.

Anyone want to work on Momoiro Meloik?
>>
>>113737627
>That pages is at about their average quality

I don't know, anon. I don't read any of these shit so I just downloaded the latest chapters of two things at random that I've at least heard the names of before: Centaur's Worries and Ran and the Gray World. Both chapters seem pretty fine to me and much better than that page you posted of whatever that is. Maybe they have different cleaners for different series? I do see a bit of dust in both of these that wasn't cleaned but it doesn't seem nearly so over-leveled.
>>
File: CCF_0100.jpg (206KB, 1485x2130px) Image search: [Google]
CCF_0100.jpg
206KB, 1485x2130px
Typesetting Shinkaigyo no Anko-san chapter 7. I don't think I've uploaded the zips of the previous 6 chapters (re-release) anywhere, but it's on batoto.
Problems with the translation? Problems with the typesetting? I'm a shit and you have advice on how to improve? Lay it on me.

Next chapter's pages seem to have jaggy lines in general on the RAW (really visible on the panels themselves). Any tips on dealing with this? I'd draw over it, but it'd seem somewhat inconsistent if the lines were /too/ smooth, if you know what I'm saying. It was slightly like this in previous chapters, but particularly bad from this point onwards.
>>
File: 1410095002645.png (569KB, 1679x1400px) Image search: [Google]
1410095002645.png
569KB, 1679x1400px
>>113737736
they have a new name now but still don't know how to scanlate for shit
>>
>>113737957

Fuck off Hox.

Wait, shit, no tripcode.

Who runs KissuManga?

That reminds me, why did these chapters disappear?

http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/all-you-need-is-kill-r10854

Is Batoto hunting down licensed series? Better grab anything if you need it.
>>
>>113737860
I thought multiple groups did the same series a lot of the time. Does it really matter that much?
>>
>>113737957

Im not Royal you cunt, why are you so slow with Ika Musume?
>>
>>113738097
A BUNCH of manga chapters on Batoto have been getting deleted recently.
>>
>>113738097
Whatever happened to that neo-MT thing Woxxy was setting up?
>>
>>113738149

Is it just licensed stuff? I don't want to have to have another reason to hate Batoto, but chapter 10 is still up there for some reason and it doesn't have a THIS SERIES IS LICENSED announcement.

Can we talk about Batoto's removal of stuff? I must have missed the threads.
>>
>>113738193
I honestly don't know.
I know that a bunch of Prison School chapters were deleted.
And Nanatsu no Taizai.
And other that I can't remember now.
>>
>>113738097

Batoto is going full witch hunt mode, I'm guessing a publisher threatened their Paypal account or something. This isn't related to that Anime - Manga Society antipiracy thing, is it?
>>
>>113738193
>>113738231
Their mods are petty sell-outs with double-standards when it comes to pruning "inappropriate" material.
>>
>>113738097
>Better grab anything if you need it.
You should just assume from the start that anything you haven't saved for yourself can disappear any second.
>>
>>113738277

Is there a Batoto thread, or are the mods trying to downplay and hide what they're doing?
>>
>>113738431
Couldn't find any thread on their forums about it.
>>
>>113738490

I would make one but I don't have an account. Guess I'll make a throwaway one, we can see if they're trying to censor it.
>>
>>113738097
Pretty sure that's connected to the METI guys. And I am also pretty sure the admin of Batoto said he will take down the series he is asked to.
>>
I've always wanted to get into this, but I can't translate. However I can redraw pretty decently, and could probably learn how to clean though.

Aside from learning Jap, which I plan to do, how can I help or get into it?
>>
>>113738580
Download photoshop and find someone to write scripts for you.
>>
>>113738580
>how can I help or get into it?

You could start by improving your redrawing or learning how to clean.

We have more pressing matters to discuss. I like Batoto because it means automated lossless downloads, but now the jews are trying to ruin my hobby with a slow strangulation.
>>
>>113738431
Here is the admin's post:
https://bato.to/forums/topic/19513-japanese-government-to-start-anti-animemanga-piracy-operation-next-month/?p=1333265
>>
>>113738721

Great.

Why were the anonymous Prison School chapters removed, though? Did Utopia suck an admin dick?
>>
File: wat.png (43KB, 1226x317px) Image search: [Google]
wat.png
43KB, 1226x317px
>>113738818
Why don't you go to the comic's page and see for yourself?
>>
>>113738079
I think the best advice is to try to find better raws, but I'm also guessing there aren't any. There's a DeJpeg filter in topaz that would probably be useful here. Surface blur might help too if you don't have that. Looks like there should be 3 solid colors and no textures, right?
>>
>>113738580
pepperanon at blogspot
>>
>>113738920

>bot

You know, I've been wondering about that. KidCongo posts chapters that I don't even see linked anywhere else or on IRC (for example, Justice Scans' Anko-san c01 was only posted on /a/, as far as I can tell). Do you think it's a shared account? It gets chapters up pretty fast, sometimes within minutes of just a Blogspot Mega link.
>>
>>113739050
Wondered the same thing as he uploads my chapters before I have the chance to. I've spoken with him about it and I am pretty sure it's just some dedicated dude. Who knows though. At least seemed like a nice fella.
>>
>>113739120

He would have to have hundreds, possibly thousands of sites on RSS checking every few minutes. I'm sure it's part bot. Hell, maybe he's a great programmer and he made a godlike bot exclusively for Batoto. The random /a/ chapters can only be explained by dedication or a shared account, though.
>>
I would like to make a throwaway Tumblr account to ask publishers about how they feel about this whole crusade, but they'll probably just do an obligatory stock publisher response or just ignore it.

I have a hard time believing that, say, Seven Seas would go after their licensed scanlations over a year later. MITI is a scary thing. Hope Batoto doesn't cave completely, the admin said he'll follow any DMCA request no matter how vague or justified.
>>
>>113739208
Oh, definitely. He actually avoided my questions regarding how he does it, saying stuff like "Oh, it's nothing really. I just check MU constantly." and stuff like that. He hides something for sure.
>>
File: Untitled-1.jpg (986KB, 1485x2130px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.jpg
986KB, 1485x2130px
>>113738079
Here's a quick example of a default settings surface blur followed up by Topaz DeNoise cranked up pretty high. Haven't tried to level it, and I didn't fine tune the settings as much as I would have if this were a project I was working on, but you can see everything is a lot smoother at least. Looks a bit blurry though. Again, you can fine tune settings a lot. Maybe low-ball the DeNoise and run it multiple times.
>>
>>113734831
>settings

Argh. So I upscaled a page to 2500px to match the later ones, converted to RGB since topaz wont' work with greyscale, tried the lowest preset setting for jpg. Tones looked smoother, but detail was lost.

Then it wouldn't save properly, kept blanking out, so I undid everything, resized again, saved as jpg, ran topaz and saved as png. Same result: smoother tone, less detail.

We should have looked for cleaners first.
>>
>>113739599
I see that does look like it works somewhat. I do wonder if my version of Topaz is compatible, last time I used it I was on CS4 (CS6 now)
>>
I tried cleaning this because the raws were so bad
http://exhentai.org/g/737590/42c911f528/

It's probably a bad doujin to ask for advice on since the art isn't too complex, but how does this look:
https://mega.co.nz/#!Ad5kibaQ!h8xW5hMeS_f9SgjCtCwTn-4Qum7mra-hd3UNK3rthro
>>
>>113739897
Interestingly enough, I tried DeJpeg on it too since that's clearly the issue here, but I got better results from just a default surface blur. I think going from 4 to 6 you should be fine. A lot of stuff changed after 3 that broke things though. The algorithms have probably been updated quite a bit in newer versions though so it's worth updating.
>>
we are doing scanlations in a group, will try to post something about the WIP (its a work of 2 vols) later, have translated a couple of films for my students and the local college and a book, and never actually did think of scanlating before, sorry if I sound weird in any way, Its pretty late around here...

Anyways, two questions for anyone who wants two share his opinion:

1. We are working with somewhat decent raws, so Im not talking about cleaning, but when we have had to redraw(you know, when there´s text you want to change and it isnt in a bubble) detailed illustrations, in color no less and we have got pretty good results(with that I mean that we think nobody would notice it), ¿Do you think this has some kind of value on the work or its actually something even the most untalented can do? , or more exactly, ¿Is this something appreciated in general?

2. This may sound a little "Jewish", but out of curiosity and to spark the discussion, ¿Do you think the money(pocket money, that is), is in translating Doujins?
>>
File: 45754815.jpg (50KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
45754815.jpg
50KB, 300x300px
>>113740096
>>
>>113740096
1.The more attention you pay to details, the better your work is. It's not a linear relationship though. There is a threshold you need to cover, afterwards it's all extra.

2.The money, if you can even call it that, is definitely in doujinshi. That's it, if we are talking strictly about scanlation. If we extend the discussion to manga in general, the money is in providing manga, either legally or not. Examples: CR/Fakku and Mangastream/Mangafox, two examples for each.
>>
>>113740096
>Do you think the money(pocket money, that is), is in translating Doujins?
Not necessarily doujinshi, but most commissions come from porn of some kind.
>>
>>113739304
Make a Wordpress of BlogSpot blog.
>>
File: 000.jpg (161KB, 1187x770px) Image search: [Google]
000.jpg
161KB, 1187x770px
I didn't know you guys had thread like these. Just finished scanning this, working on stitching together the covers and fixing the levels now.

http://www.doujinshi.org/book/673633/
>>
>>113738580
attend a japanese 101 to 103 at community college
>>
>>113740258
> There is a threshold you need to cover, afterwards it's all extra.

Thanks, Its the most imortant thing with this kind of work, of course, and we understand it on our side, so its not something you will have to worry about when seeing images edited by us.

As for the second question, I suppose everyone more or less has the same opinion, right?
>>
>>113739996
Like you said it's not too complex. You made the whites white and the blacks black (mostly) and straightened it at least. Still looks a little noisy though. Probably underleveled. You could also just topaz the fuck out of it and not have to worry about tones being messed up too.
>>
>>113739599
This looks ugly. Why would you go through all that trouble to ruin the page?
>>
>>113740815
The page is ruined to begin with, anon. They asked for advice dealing with ridiculous artifacts and I offered some. You got any?
>>
>>113740815
Did you even look at the original? It's artifact ridden.
>>
File: 00.png (397KB, 1115x1600px) Image search: [Google]
00.png
397KB, 1115x1600px
>>113738079
>>
File: i141465.jpg (128KB, 230x320px) Image search: [Google]
i141465.jpg
128KB, 230x320px
can anyone finish translating Koe de Oshigoto! from chapter 45 to 60? i really want to finish this.
>>
Bessatsu Shonen Magazine anon, where you'll upload rip to?
>>
File: please translate.png (103KB, 702x232px) Image search: [Google]
please translate.png
103KB, 702x232px
>>113741069
You have to do the pose first.
>>
>>113741059
I don't think there is supposed to be a texture on there at all which is why I asked about it in my initial reply, and those lines are still really jagged. Also you changed the resolution so it's hard to do a direct comparison.
>>
>>113740892
That's not artifact ridden. Have you ever seen a real manga on paper before? It's all binary. All of the seemingly gray areas are solid black and white dots. It appears gray from scanners because scans are a lot smaller than printed resolutions.
>>
>>113741452
See how it's covered in boxes? It's very much artifact ridden.
>>
>>113740729
Alright, thanks. Never really done anything like this before so I wasn't sure how much was enough. I think I got a good estimate though now, so I'll try again with a different doujin.
>>
>>113741452
>It appears gray from scanners because scans are a lot smaller than printed resolutions.

600 DPI scans are fucking huge compared to physical pages.
>>
File: 29oso75.jpg (203KB, 743x1128px) Image search: [Google]
29oso75.jpg
203KB, 743x1128px
>>113698788
>As a result, scanlators started to watermark releases in a way that they only appeared if mangafox used bots to rip them.
No they didn't. They hysterically overreacted.

They put huge fucking watermarks covering half the page, on every page, saying "Fuck you mangafox" and shit. Half the time they were unreadable.

And they didn't only appear if Mangafox used bots to rip them, most scanlators aren't that tech savvy. They plopped them on in Photoshop, and then announced the release.
Then, like the auspie retards they were, told the leechers, who naturally felt trolled when given an unreadable mess, to blame Mangafox for the shitscans. Surprisingly, trolling the leechers wasn't the winning battle strategy they'd hoped for.

I was typesetting and cleaning at the time and quit my group over that stupidity. I now just work piecemeal and anonymously.

Pic related also wasn't actually the most egregious example, but actually par for the course for many groups at the time.
>>
new thread when
>>
>>113742278
We don't need a constant general. Do you have something to share or need help with something?
>>
>>113741452
Nigger I work with 600DPI scans all the time I know how tones are, and that original page has artifacts all over the fucking place. That is not how those tones are supposed to look, even with paper texture.
>>
>>113742367
Original poster of the page here, pretty much this. I can't find any better raws (hell, I don't know many sites of where to get RAWs, actually).

Also, is Habanero Scans some sort of /a/ thing?
>>
>>113742742
It's mui caliente. Also, yes. I think? Fuck if I know. I just do cleans for Nichijou when I'm not absorbed in little girl cartoons.
>>
>>113741162
to ftp if things goes well.
Thread posts: 525
Thread images: 82

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.