[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Could certain forms of mental illness really just be part

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 8

File: IMG_20151107_100806.jpg (362KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151107_100806.jpg
362KB, 720x1280px
Could certain forms of mental illness really just be part of human evolution?
>>
>>16942819
Yes
>>
If something puts a being at a disadvantage and lowers its probability of reproducing then it will not help them evolve
>>
>>16942830
The last thing humanity needs is reproducing when they already talk about population control
>>
>>16942835
With 7 billion people on the planet someones going to decide to spawn a child.
>>
>>16942850
And one day theyll all be extinct
>>
>>16942861
But that wont happen any time soon. So its pretty irrelivent for us to worry about.
>>
>>16942850
Stop pretending the planet is overpopulated
>>
>>16942870
OH YOU FUCKING NIGGER, IT FUCKING IS OVERCROWDED. WHEN IT'S CHRISTMAS TIME AT THE MALL I CAN'T EVEN MOVE ON THE ROAD. FUCK FUCK FUCK.

I.CAN'T.DRIVE.55.
>>
>>16942870
The planet isnt overpopulated. I was just saying population control wont do shit.
>>
mental illness is just an error of the brain. neurotransmitters are unbalanced.
>>
>>16942826
I'm glad this was the first response. Well played.
>>
>>16942878
well, in a way that's just the issue of people who love to live on top of one another (aka: cities).

But yea,that shit pisses me off royally as well.
>>
Narcissism based on tits is not mental illness, but it's hilariously delusional.
>>
>>16942870
But it is, anon, it is. Does that fact bother you?
>>
>>16942954
mental "illness" is hereditary therefore it can be a form of evolution.
>>
Is that picture a photoshop?
>>
File: pandorum_poster.jpg (65KB, 535x707px) Image search: [Google]
pandorum_poster.jpg
65KB, 535x707px
>>16943170
It disturbed me enough that I GISed it. Looks like it's from a Pandorum movie poster.
>>
>>16943158
>hereditary
>MS isn't hereditary
>Autism isn't hereditary
>Depression isn't hereditary
I hope your parents aren't retarded or this might classify as the first-ever case of mental retardation being hereditary
>>
>>16943177
You get the prize. The movie wasn't that great but I always liked the picture.
>>
File: 1441415906563.png (119KB, 392x366px) Image search: [Google]
1441415906563.png
119KB, 392x366px
>>16943184
>Depression isn't hereditary
except it is.
>>
File: tumblr_nii0v6A8iH1qzn831o1_1280.jpg (82KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nii0v6A8iH1qzn831o1_1280.jpg
82KB, 640x640px
>>16943184
>these mental illnesses aren't hereditary therefore no mental illnesses are hereditary.
Nice fallacy smart ass.
>>
File: Angelic Gift.jpg (89KB, 540x408px) Image search: [Google]
Angelic Gift.jpg
89KB, 540x408px
>>16942819
>Could
No such thing. Is or is not
>certain forms of mental illness really just be part of human evolution?
No.
>>
>>16943184
MS has a genetic component, as does depression, and there are certain forms of autism that a 100% genetic. Other forms of autism seem to have some genetic association.
>>
>>16942819
Defining evolution as genetic change over time (that is, how science does) then yes. If there should be a near-extinction event, the genetic bottleneck could very well wipe out what we now consider mentally normal. Likewise, if there should be a strong selection against individuals who are mentally healthy (for whatever reason, natural or artificial) then it would be bred out.

>>16942870
There are more living humans now than there have been at any previous time in history. Our farming technology is barely adequate to provide enough food. We're reliant on fossil fuels, which have a limited supply. The only way there's enough to go around is by using up natural resources faster than they can replace themselves. Aquifers are being emptied, rainforests are being cleared, the oceans are overfished. We're hitting the wall. And the population is projected to pass ten billion in our lifetime.
>>
If something considered a mental illness today ends up making a person more likely to reproduce, yes. Though we will start manipulating our own evolution well before natural evolution does much more to us.

>>16944104
http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/future_tense/2013/01/world_population_may_actually_start_declining_not_exploding.html

The entire modern world has a stable if not declining birth rate, and even shitholes like Africa are predicted to start declining. Though knowing current politics they'll probably start donating all our food and sustaining their birth rate until we're all fucked.
>>
ALL YOU NIGGERS NEEDED TO DO WAS TO BUILD UPWARD NOT OUTWARD, UNDERGROUND AS WELL FUCKING THIN YOU STUPID USELESS FUCKING PIECES OF BULL SHIT NIGGERS
>>
>>16945205

>FUCKING THINK

SOLUTION TO OVERPOPULATION
???
PROFIT
>>
Go to bed joker.
>>
>>16944104
How did this become a post re: overpopulation?
>>
Are you keks still arguing about overpopultion? It isnt even relevent to op's question. Give this shit a rest.
>>
>>16942819
>Could certain forms of mental illness really just be part of human evolution?
Why don't you share your philosophy with the class rather than baiting for like-minded fools?

If mental illness were evolutionary, we'd all be using fairy logic already.

Delusion is that which warps nothing other than its own reality.
>>
File: IMG_20150930_153047.jpg (48KB, 492x559px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150930_153047.jpg
48KB, 492x559px
>>16942870
Indian here.
>>
>>16942819

Yes

>http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2154393/There-IS-link-genius-madness-claim-scientists--dont-know-evolved-gift.html
>>
Every biological feature of humanity that is rooted in genetics is part of "human evolution." You are a retard who doesn't have a basic grasp of biological evolution and think it's synonymous with a "ladder of progress."
>>
>>16947187
Enjoy living in poo.
>>
>>16944104
>Aquifers are being emptied, rainforests are being cleared, the oceans are overfished.
And guess who's consuming most of those resources? It's the procentually small America and Europa.
>And the population is projected to pass ten billion in our lifetime.
Actually 9 billion, but thanks for the scare-mongering.
>>
>>16942819
I have read that sociopaths and psychopaths used to be adaptive and these personality types persisted to the modern day. Now these types hide in pain sight, but the type can backfire easily. some are Ted Bundy others are cutthroat business executives.
>>
>>16947520

You're using 'human' too much.
>>
>>16947553
I'd be interested in knowing where you read about that.
>>
>>16944104
>Our farming technology is barely adequate to provide enough food.
They pay farmers not to grow food, and buy food just to destroy it, in order to regulate prices. If there was money to be made feeding poor people they'd do it, but there isn't so no one does.

>We're reliant on fossil fuels,
For like 30 years now the public has been begging for something else. Take it up with the corporate overlords who don't consider newer technology because the profit margins are too small.
>>
>>16947624
Not that anon but probably on 'kevin duttin - the wisdom of psychopaths'
>>
>>16947679
*dutton
>>
>>16947679
There is a wisdom but it's shortsighted.

A good example is the story of someone asking a crab fisherman why his bucket is so small, and he explains that when one crab starts to climb out the others pull him back in. The only way psychopaths can succeed is with people who trust them. They themselves can't truly trust or help anyone and a group of them left alone will invariably destroy eachother. They hate everyone who has empathy or kindness and even plot killing them in extreme cases, but they need them. So many internal inconsistencies going on i have a hard time believing it's a logical adaptation and lean more towards mental illness.
>>
>>16947679
My request was specific to that anon because they made some "interesting" claims that may or may not reflect the source material.
>>
>>16942819
they are usually just spiritually based afflictions and it's fucked up
because the institutions in place to "deal" with the mentally ill usually just hinder them or give them chemical lobotomies and experimental drugs
the sort of stuff the Nazis would experiment on people with
>>
>>16942819
>is cancer a part of human evolution?
>>
>>16947716
>logical adaptation
It would seem logical if you're surrounded by psychopaths. Better take care of yourself and fuck everyone else.

But it should just be a temporary survival technique instead of a way of life. Find people you can trust, somewhere.
>>
>>16947750
This.
>>
Something where the afflicted can process information more effectively, maybe. But if it comes at the expense of meltdowns like autism, then I don't see it ever winning out genetically desu senpai

t. bArdock ombongo
>>
>>16942819

Only if it helps you get laid. Learn how evolution works
>>
File: uDCzQtn.jpg (50KB, 720x779px) Image search: [Google]
uDCzQtn.jpg
50KB, 720x779px
>>16947907
this too family to be quite fair and honest with you

t. ur mum
>>
>>16947760
he literally explained why a society of psychopaths wouldn't work
are you retarded or illiterate or both
fuck

t. epic memes
>>
>>16947897
Schizophrenia doesn't let you process information any differently from a normal brain, it just focuses on certain types of etymological information that's useless for consciousness.
>>
>>16947943
Sorry i didn't want to read the book you mentioned before commenting on it. Glad he agrees with me, though.
>>
>>16947974
no sweat my good man

t. t.
>>
>>16947973
ahh...you may want to rethink what you just said, schizophrenia completely alters how you process information and how to perceive your surroundings, the disorder itself alters how your brain works in many ways including information.
>>
>>16948850
No, it alters your perception of your perception. Literally does not change anything else. It's a form of recursive retardation, looking for the origin of all the things you come across rather than contextualizing everything as a fleeting moment in time. Pro tip: Wordplay isn't consciousness.
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.