[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

SKUNK APE

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 18

File: 272550-cryptozoology-skunk-ape.jpg (98KB, 800x1360px) Image search: [Google]
272550-cryptozoology-skunk-ape.jpg
98KB, 800x1360px
The skunk ape, also known as the swamp ape, stink ape, Florida Bigfoot, myakka ape, and myakka skunk ape, is a hominid cryptid said to inhabit the U.S. states of Florida, North Carolina, and Arkansas, although reports from Florida are more common. It is named for its appearance and for the unpleasant odor that is said to accompany it. According to the United States National Park Service, the skunk ape does not exist.

Reports of the skunk ape were particularly common in the 1960s and 1970s. In 1974, sightings of a large, foul-smelling, hairy, ape-like creature, which ran upright on two legs were reported in suburban neighborhoods of Dade County, Florida. Skeptical investigator Joe Nickell has written that some of the reports may represent sightings of the black bear (Ursus americanus) and it is likely that other sightings are hoaxes or misidentification of wildlife.
>>
https://4archive.org/x/thread/15584307

>People that have been around animals know they stink. Dogs, coyotes, bears, etc have a smell. And animals like rolling in smelly substances. Even horses and chickens.

>Now, with the gray coat, the lack of eye shine, and the fact it was on its knuckles like a gorilla (I'm assuming that's what OP meant), anyone think this is an old skunk ape? Cataracts would kill eye shine. And if he was old, possibly he can't take care of himself, has infections, and therefore would smell horrible. Yes, most skunk apes are said to stink, but not to the point of making someone vomit.

>I lived on a farm for almost three decades, and infections, especially in long haired animals, are rank as hell. My double coated dog had one recently. He smelled like rotting flesh. Had to shave him bald to find the abscess. Opened it up the rest of the way and cleaned it out. If I wasn't used to disgusting shit like that, I'm sure I'd be vomiting too.

>I think it was on the fence on whether to chase you off or eat you. It was debating and sizing you up. If it was old and injured, it was probably hungry and trying to decide if it was hungry enough to risk injuring itself further. Hell, maybe it was wondering why two idiots were out on a gravel road at night instead of a campground.

>Most bigfoot attacks involve thrown rocks and twigs. They used to straight up murder people in the past. Actually he didn't do much to try to intimidate you. He crashed through the woods a little.

>As for the bearing of teeth/smiling, it probably thought it was hidden until it realized your friend saw it.

>Fire deters a lot of shit. Fire is something all animals are instinctively scared of. Even humans, except when we control it. We know campfire=safety and wildfire=death.

>Light would also expose it. You guys were in an open area, if it came out in the firelight, you'd see it. It obviously needed the element of surprise to attack or it was using the dark to observe you.
>>
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/trail-floridas-bigfoot-skunk-ape-180949981/?no-ist

>The first time Dave Shealy saw a skunk ape, he says, he was ten years old. It was 1974, a few years after his father had come upon a set of footprints left by the creature—an Everglades version of Bigfoot named for its supposedly pungent odor. Dave was out deer hunting with his older brother, Jack, in the swamp behind his house, in what’s now Big Cypress National Preserve, when he encountered the ape incarnate.

>“It was walking across the swamp, and my brother spotted it first. But I couldn’t see it over the grass—I wasn’t tall enough,” Shealy says. “My brother picked me up, and I saw it, about 100 yards away. We were just kids, but we’d heard about it, and knew for sure what we were looking at. It looked like a man, but completely covered with hair.”

>He and his brother stared at the creature, mouths agape, but almost at the same time, as he tells it, the skies opened and rain poured down. The ape hurried away, into the cypress hummocks scattered amongst the marsh. “Holy crap,” he remembers thinking. “I finally saw this damn thing, and it got away, just like that.”
>>
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=i+saw+a+skunk+ape+please+help

A decent video of a supposed skunk ape, a couple hours from where I live.
>>
>>16048017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb9YcIlkl_c
>>
From Skunkape Headquarters Website

Skunk Ape is a large hairy, bipedal (meaning they walk on two legs) mammal that calls the Everglades home. Castings of their tracks confirm they have four toes. Male Skunk Apes stand up to 7 feet tall and can weigh more than 350 pounds. Females are considerably smaller, standing 5 – 6 feet tall and weigh 180 – 250 pounds. Both male and female are covered with reddish-black fur.

Most confirmed Skunk Ape sightings report an individual animal however, increasing sightings reported claim to have seen several Skunk Apes traveling together. These groups also known as troops are becoming more common.

Skunk Ape sightings are reported throughout Florida. It is estimated between 7 to 9 Skunk Apes live in the Everglades area. These sightings suggest the highest concentration inhabit the Florida Everglades. Big Cypress National Preserve offers the best opportunity for researchers to locate Skunk Apes. Skunk Apes are very elusive. They also have exceptional hearing as well as the ability to climb trees and swim in order to evade detection or capture.

Skunk Apes lead a nomadic, hunter/gatherer existence. Often times Skunk Apes are sighted in close proximity of large cities. In one instance a Skunk Ape reportedly ran across I-75 in broad daylight. If you choose to concentrate your search efforts near metropolitan areas, golf courses and state and city parks offer your best opportunities although these sighting are rare.

Although there have been numerous incidences of hunting camps being destroyed and several shots have been fired by people claiming “self defense”, there is no factual evidence of a Skunk Ape attacking anyone; however, if you are attacked, defend yourself by any means possible.
>>
>>16048038
Thanks

North American great ape sightings in general are becoming more common. It wouldn't surprise me if the animals are documented already and protected through cryptozoology to prevent their small populations to increase, I.E. give them more breathing room.
>>
File: skunkape-1.jpg (130KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
skunkape-1.jpg
130KB, 1024x768px
>>16048017
>>16048038
>>16048061
what do you think? i'm interested in this particular yeti cousin too
>>
Lettuce Lake Park in Tampa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcgHKMbYYNw
>>
>>16048071
Eh, it just looks twigs to me. I'm not very good at discerning things in pictures.

From what I hear of them, they're native to the South/Wetlands area of the United States. Their tall height helps them wade through marshy type environments, they make nests in discreet areas to sleep in, like gorillas. They eat a comparatively lot more meat than bigfeets, just due to the environment they live, so they're more aggressive (predator mindset).

While I live in Mississippi, I'm trying to scope out on finding one. I've seen snakes, alligators, large raptors, etc.
>>
File: index4.jpg (10KB, 301x160px) Image search: [Google]
index4.jpg
10KB, 301x160px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtxGAdGoBKg

Les Stroud needs to do a Skunk Ape episode
>>
File: WCJB_news_skunk_ape.jpg (96KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
WCJB_news_skunk_ape.jpg
96KB, 1000x1000px
Florida has it's own version of Bigfoot, known as the Skunk Ape, thought to be a distinct separate species from the Sasquatch.
>>
File: MAPhotosm.jpg (31KB, 314x475px) Image search: [Google]
MAPhotosm.jpg
31KB, 314x475px
>>16047911
>>
File: bump.jpg (59KB, 314x475px) Image search: [Google]
bump.jpg
59KB, 314x475px
BUMP FOR MOAR
>>
the magic monkey is not real.

give it up footers.
>>
>>16048552
You're probably a skunk ape. I see right through your manipulations, good sir ape. They'll give library cards to anyone in Florida, I guess.
>>
File: o-LETTUCELAKEBIGFOOT-570.jpg (154KB, 570x569px) Image search: [Google]
o-LETTUCELAKEBIGFOOT-570.jpg
154KB, 570x569px
>>16048077

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/01/bigfoot-re-emerges-from-florida-swamp_n_6583158.html
>>
>>16048682
proven hoax
>>
>>16048834
Thank you for pointing this out. Could you provide a link to the story please?
>>
>>16048882
http://bfrofl.com/the-debunking-of-the-lettuce-lake-skunk-ape-footage/
>>
Floridian and avid hunter here.

Skunkape, like most /x/ stuff, makes for a decent read and can be pretty fun if you're willing to suspend disbelief, but it ain't real. Nobody around here takes it seriously.
>>
>>16049023
Hillsborough County here. I've met plenty of folks that believe in skunk ape. He's just shy, that's all.
>>
>TOPKEK
>>
>>16049023
>Nobody around here takes it seriously.
I accept that you're an avid hunter and have never had an encounter, and that you haven't spoken to anyone who has, but

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/state_listing.asp?state=fl

The number of anonymous submissions to this site from Florida alone is easily in the triple digits. And these are just the ones that have passed examination/background checks. Don't you find that a little strange?
>>
>>16049070

Not really, no.

The swamp, like any other untamed and isolated area, can easily make your mind play tricks on you.

Ignoring people who are misremembering events, falling victim to the power of suggestion, or simply telling tall tales, I'm not inclined to believe that what people THINK they saw is the same as what they ACTUALLY saw.

I'm not inclined to believe there's a giant primate roaming around here until I see bones or a body.
>>
File: Coelacanth.jpg (46KB, 920x514px) Image search: [Google]
Coelacanth.jpg
46KB, 920x514px
>>16049103
yeah your right nothing like that ever happens
>>
>>16049118
>Coelacanth

It's funny you used that as an example. See, the reason we now know that they're real is because this South African lady actually found one.

She didn't hear about one from Bubba down at the bar. She didn't get a blurry out of focus video of one. She didn't point out a log on a trailcam and say "yep that thar's a fish".

She found an actual animal. A real live animal. With a skeleton and stuff.
>>
>>16049141
she probably also didn't listen to people who said don't bother it doesn't exist would be my counterpoint
>>
>>16049157

No, she didn't have to do that because she wasn't out hunting mythical creatures.

She was checking out a fish that a friend caught.
>>
>>16049103
>misremembering events, falling victim to the power of suggestion, or simply telling tall tales
Bullshit, this guy's been a wildlife biologist for almost 20 years yet he can't explain what he saw on November 24, 2013. Obviously he can't discuss this openly with his colleagues so this is where people like him go for shit like this

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=42978

>I'm not inclined to believe there's a giant primate roaming around here until I see bones or a body.
skunk ape dies (let's assume of natural causes because I don't think 8ft tall ape man need to worry about predators) who is going to find the body before it decomposes? It's not like it's just going to drop dead in some random place, my best guess is that it would find a place to rest and die there. So it's not like you're going to just find skunk ape remains lying around in the woods. MAYBE some bones will turn up one day once there's more money and manpower behind Bigfoot-related search efforts.
>>
>>16048038

fake. its a dude in a suit

I'm a swamp hunter in florida and their is no way that thing didnt heard u. Trekking through the swamp is loud and takes alot of skill being quiet. He would have heard him and took off.

listen, hate to burst your bubble guys, but the skunk ape is a bullshit story in florida and it all starts in the 60's-70's which took a hold of a life of its own.

Even the Miccosukee and the Seminoles which have been in Florida for 15,000 years have no sightings or lore on this creature.
>>
File: bigfootcomp.jpg (89KB, 490x737px) Image search: [Google]
bigfootcomp.jpg
89KB, 490x737px
>>16049023
>>16049103
>>16049141
>>16049162
>>16049171
>>
>>16049168
>It's not like it's just going to drop dead in some random place, my best guess is that it would find a place to rest and die there.

Is skunk ape immune to heart failure, strokes, and other sudden natural causes of death?
>>
>>16049189
i don't know, are different species susceptible to different conditions and diseases?
>>
dude wouldnt it be hilarious to buy a gorilla and release it in the everglades and create all these stories about an ape in the swamp

god i wish i had so much money i would do this kind of shit to yall gullible idiots
>>
>>16049189
There are certainly species of animals on this planet that have been widely storied and accepted without a readily available corpse. The giant squid for instance was only recently found and it is much larger than any skunk ape type creature.

>>16049197
Shhhhh. Thanks though.
>>
>>16049168

Because a wildlife biologist has never lied, or recalled events differently from how they actually occurred ever.

Ignoring the fact that I'm not inclined to believe that our anonymous witness here is or isn't anything some bigfoot website claims him/her to be.
We can find coyote, boar, bird, deer, gator, snake, and lizard remains. What makes monkey man so special?
>>
>>16049215

There have also been tribes that have never been contacted by civilized man until recently. There are still mysteries on this beautiful world of ours sir.
>>
OP its called a nigger.
>>
>>16049228

A tribe can attempt to evade contact or detection. And admittedly so can a giant ape. However he apparently chooses not to because allegedly you can't walk more than 10 feet into the glades before bumping into one or having him menace you from a distance.

A corpse on the other hand can't do that. And yet we've found corpses of fish we've thought were extinct for a few million years earlier than we've found skunk apes.

We can find god damn dinosaur bones, but not bigfoot bones? Please.
>>
>>16049141
>comparing a fish to a giant ape man
We had zero reason to believe Coelacanth was still around until we accidentally found one. We actually have reason to believe Bigfoot exists but he's a slippery bastard that actually has numerous advantages over humans unlike the Coelacanth

>>16049189
There probably aren't that many skunk apes out there, how often do you think that is going to happen? And when it does, it's just going to decompose before anyone finds it.

>>16049215
>t-they're all liars!
I can post more if need be

>We can find coyote, boar, bird, deer, gator, snake, and lizard remains. What makes monkey man so special?
It's rarer, smarter, and more elusive than all of those animals. How often do you go in the woods and find those remains? I'm sure you'd see deer corpses/bones with relative frequency but what about shit like coyotes or bears? Once in a blue moon maybe? What about an animal even rarer than bears?

>>16049236
>because allegedly you can't walk more than 10 feet into the glades before bumping into one or having him menace you from a distance.
200 people is such a small percentage of the population of Florida. Are you this fucking stupid?

>We can find god damn dinosaur bones, but not bigfoot bones? Please.
Yes, because we have teams of paid scientists to locate and dig up these bones.
>>
File: sasquatch_steveaustin.jpg (29KB, 481x361px) Image search: [Google]
sasquatch_steveaustin.jpg
29KB, 481x361px
>>16049236
this guy has a secret
>>
File: MOLESTEDBYBIGFOOT.png (34KB, 650x520px) Image search: [Google]
MOLESTEDBYBIGFOOT.png
34KB, 650x520px
>>16049236
>>16049245
OMG! READ MY MIND
>>
the skunk ape is a faggot
>>
>>16049244
>We actually have reason to believe Bigfoot exists

No, we really don't.

>but he's a slippery bastard that actually has numerous advantages over humans unlike the Coelacant

Except for...y'know when he's dead.

>I can post more if need be

You don't, because we both already know what my answer to those would be.

>200 people is such a small percentage of the population of Florida. Are you this fucking stupid?

Sarcasm doesn't translate well online.

>Yes, because we have teams of paid scientists to locate and dig up these bones.

And they only ever dig up dinosaur bones and never anything else. Ever.

It's funny you mention paleontologists, because not only have we NEVER discovered the remains of a bigfoot, but we've never discovered the remains of any sort of bigfoot ancestors or ancient bigfoots (bigfeet?). In fact there's no evidence that any ancient apes or monkeys romped around prehistoric America and Canada.
>>
>>16049211
Keep spouting bullshit and maybe it'll become true! Giant squid corpses were discovered and scientifically documented as early as 1870... now where are all the bigfoot corpses again?
>>
>>16049322
>bigfoots/bigfeet

Guys I think we're missing the important part here
We need to figure out a proper plural noun for these bastards
>>
>>16050053
ask the hobbits
>>
>>16047911
dont worry about the 1974 incidents, that was just my mom escaping from the nut house
>>
>>16049709
Lack of Bigfoot corpse is a non-issue among knowers and intelligent skeptics. You're neither, but I'll help you out.

Predator corpses don't exist. When was the last time you've seen a dead bear, mountain lion, or wolf? Well I guess they don't exist then lol.

Skeptics, using the same tired, invalid arguments over and over and acting like they dropped the hammer with them.
>>
>>16049709

From BFRO Website:

>Why haven't we found the remains of a bigfoot that died of natural causes?
The short answer: Because "we" have never looked for these kinds of remains.

>Nobody Looks for Bigfoot Remains

>No serious work has ever been done to look for remains of surviving wood apes in areas where they are rumored to reside. No one should expect remains of such an elusive species to be found, collected and identified without some effort.

>Very few remains of ancient wood apes have ever been found in Asia, where they were much more abundant. Millions of gigantos (a branch of the wood ape line) lived and died in Asia over the ages. All the remaining physical evidence we have of them could fit into a few shoe boxes. Fossils of any land animal are very rare.

>Remains do not become fossilized very often, but unless that happens, all the remains will, in time, become completely reabsorbed into the ecosystem. There would be remains of animals everywhere if remains were not naturally recycled, including bones and teeth.

>Fossils or preserved bones of wood apes may exist in the Americas, but they will be exceedingly rare, because these animals are rare to begin with, and only a tiny fraction of that population will die in locations and soils that will preserve bones somehow. Odds are slim at best that any bones (which are normally fragmentary) will be found, collected and identified unless a focused effort is made to look for them. Until efforts are made in many places, over a long period of time, no one should be scratching their head wondering why "we" don't have any physical remains.
>>
File: Dubs_4e760b_1975265.jpg (60KB, 430x539px) Image search: [Google]
Dubs_4e760b_1975265.jpg
60KB, 430x539px
>>16050200
DUBS

From Wikipedia:
>The first Gigantopithecus remains described by an anthropologist were found in 1935 by Ralph von Koenigswald in an apothecary shop. Fossilized teeth and bones are often ground into powder and used in some branches of traditional Chinese medicine. Von Koenigswald named the theorized species Gigantopithecus.

>Since then, relatively few fossils of Gigantopithecus have been recovered. Aside from the molars recovered in Chinese traditional medicine shops, Liucheng Cave in Liuzhou, China, has produced numerous Gigantopithecus blacki teeth, as well as several jawbones. Other sites yielding significant finds were in Vietnam and India. These finds suggest that the range of Gigantopithecus was in southeast Asia.
>>
>>16050180
you sunuvabitch, you kinda blew my mind. But then again, I'm a cityfag, cant say I've seen much of any wilderness... i did a possum this morning in the parking garage at work though...

>>16050053
I think it'd be just "BigFoot" like Moose
>>
>>16050180
Do an image search on "dead bear" and come back please.
>>
File: deadbear.jpg (36KB, 310x395px) Image search: [Google]
deadbear.jpg
36KB, 310x395px
>>16050257
>>
>>16050257
It's a known fact that bigfoot is intelligent and hides itself from mankind. Obviously this would mean hiding the dead as well.
>>
File: 57222558.jpg (127KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
57222558.jpg
127KB, 400x400px
>>16050261
OMG, WAS NOT EXPECTING TO SEE THAT HERE
>>
File: 0_0_0_0_345_314_csupload_677490.jpg (33KB, 345x314px) Image search: [Google]
0_0_0_0_345_314_csupload_677490.jpg
33KB, 345x314px
http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=721

Basically between July 16 and August 17, 1997 there were about six separate sightings in relatively the same area (Ochopee, FL). All kinds of people saw it, an entire tour bus, the local fire chief, a pair of birdwatchers, etc. There was even photographic evidence in the form of pic related as well as footprint casts.

Eyewitnesses all described the same thing, nonbelievers have to explain how all of these people in the same relative time and place were deceived into thinking they saw the infamous Florida skunk ape.
>>
>>16050271
>It's a known fact

TOPKEK
>>
File: 1415444518468.jpg (9KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1415444518468.jpg
9KB, 250x250px
>>16050271
>It's a known fact
>bigfoot
>fact

OK buddy
>>
>>16050180
I found a mountain lion skull in the woods in the 90s. Used it as a candle holder for years. Some drunk asshole broke it.
>>
>>16050312
escaped monkey. swamps are full of em.
>>
>>16050271
It's a known fact Nessie is an intelligent sea monster and hides from people.
>>
>>16050425
monkeys have tails and don't walk on two legs. they also aren't 7ft tall.
>>
>>16047911
SKUNK CAN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsoCHjNOE0k
>>
>>16049236

Although we have recent bones there are no found fossils of the chimps that we have in zoos right now worldwide, same story for many other animals that we physically possess in the flesh.
Les stroud has never encountered a bear skeleton on his travels.

People didn't believe pandas were real even though explorers had seen them on the walls of chinese people, it took sixty years for us to find one with well funded exploration and they eat one thing, in one part of the world and don't move around a lot or fast.

Humand are not masters of all they survey.

Only a quarter of the united states has been diectly surveyed, otherwise it's a flyover survey. How well funded are the rest of the worlds countries in their surveying?
A large part of the worlds terrain is actually close to impossible to travel.

It's easier for shit to be out there than you expect.
>>
>>16050844
>Les stroud

How come he's suddenly an authority?

There's been a lot of skeletons of bears, lions, humans and human ancestors found in caves. I know that doesn't suit the Bigfoot myth but it's true.
>>
>>16051119
>How come he's suddenly an authority?

In 1990 Stroud became a guide for Black Feather Wilderness Adventures leading canoe excursions into the Northern Ontario wilds. It was also during this time while on a survival course he met his future wife, photographer Sue Jamison. They married in 1994 and together left for a year-long honeymoon in the remote Wabakimi area of Ontario which was to become the basis of the documentary Snowshoes and Solitude. Afterwards, the couple moved to Yellowknife in the Northwest Territories where Stroud was employed as an outdoor instructor to special needs individuals of aboriginal descent. Stroud and Jamison then settled in Huntsville, Ontario where they had two children and started both the outdoor instructional outfit Wilderness Voice and the media company Wilderness Spirit Productions. Inspired by the popularity of the television show Survivor, Stroud pitched a more authentic version of the show to The Discovery Channel Canada. Stroud produced two programs titled One Week in the Wilderness and Winter in the Wilderness for @discovery.ca in 2001. The success of these specials led to the development of Survivorman, a show that followed a similar format of leaving Stroud on his own, with minimal equipment, in the wilderness to videotape his survival experience. Stroud has extensive experience with survival and primitive living skills, initially training with expert David Arama. He went on to study with many others including John "Prairie Wolf" McPherson. He is currently working on a Survivorman series that focuses on Bigfoot.
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.