[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alright /x/, my goal is to acquire and read as many religious

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6

File: 1521516213123.jpg (5KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
1521516213123.jpg
5KB, 275x183px
Alright /x/, my goal is to acquire and read as many religious texts as possible and read them just so I can see another perspective. I'll start with the obvious ones like the Bible, the Koran, the Torah. After that, I want to get into the ones which are less popular (for some religions I don't know the names of the texts) like the Vedas, the Book of Mormon, Buddhism, Tao te Ching, Confucianism, Raelianism, Book of Shadows, Thelemic texts, etc.

All this will cost quite a bit of money, so I'm looking for an estimate of the damage. I figure I can probably get a Bible, a Koran, and a Book of Mormon (my father always used to talk about the hot Mormon girl who gave him one) for free, but the rest are pretty obscure, so I'd probably have to buy them. I'm also looking for physical copies; I really don't like reading over the web.

Other than that, any other texts I should get into? Thinking about the Tibetan Book of the Dead.

Any general tips?
>>
Wiccan text maybe? I couldn't tell you what it's called off hand.
>>
>>15282186
I believe that would be the Book of Shadows.
>>
>>15282159
Torah is just the Old Testament, maybe try the Talmud and Mahzor
>>
Use the contemporary English version for your bible. It was written for prisoners to understand so it's pretty clear and for a good job of dodging the thous and thees.

Make sure you check out Jewish mysticism and the first few chapters of Enoch.
>>
>>15284305
>>15284299
Will do; much appreciated.
>>
Don't go broke bro.
http://www.e-book.com.au/morefreebooks/freereligiousbooks.htm
>>
>>15282159
Get them free from thrifts, or even easier, just go to the churches themselves, and ask about the book - they'll give you one for free. I have a free Book of Mormon & a mini Holy Bible now for example.
>>
>>15284520
Only the christians do that.

If you wanna check on buddhism, shintoism, islam, brahmanism and other terrorist activities, you have to shell out.

As for kikeism, you won't even be able to get a copy of anything but what already is the old testament - because the talmud and the khabalah are full of xenophobia, and even have an emphasis on how the jews should cheat on everybody who is not a jew, because they're not human.

Luckily, you can get a lot of their shit, translated and for free, from here:
http://www.sacred-texts.com/jud/index.htm
>>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramayana
>>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popol_Vuh
>>
File: 1411801058198.jpg (469KB, 714x2801px) Image search: [Google]
1411801058198.jpg
469KB, 714x2801px
>>15284525
Pic very much related.

>>15284531
The Popol Vuh isn't really a sacred text. It was written by a Fray in the 18th century or so. It's supposedly a collection of legends and whatnot, but it's not. "Mayan" (that is, indigenous shits who call themselves mayan even though the Mayas got extinct centuries before the discovery of america) don't use it in their "mayan rituals" - those are more like santeria.

And funny enough, I'm posting this from Guatemala.
>>
Read the Satanic bible it's worth the keks
>>
>>15284537
If you mean the LaVey thing, it's actually pretty good.

It's a nice nihilistic/edonist compendium mixed with the usual religious spectacles.
>>
>>15284539
I think it's rather immature and only offers one viewpoint.
>>
>>15284542
Of course it is, but you could say the same thing about any other religious book.

You could say LaVey's bible is more immature because he was doing it knowingly, but how do you know there weren't any facetious stuff in other religious texts? Hell, just imagine all of the gnostic texts written by so many blatanltly atheistic popes during the middle ages (like, say, the Borgias).

Yes, the Satanic Bible isn't satanic nor a bible, but it's as valid as any other religious text. It's as full of great lessons and as full as bullshit as any other.
>>
>>15284505
Nods, a lot of this can be found free, and legally at that!

Don't forget your book of the subgenius and principia discordia!
>>
>>15284547
I do like some of the tenets, but LaVey had his own life experience and didn't take into consideration other people's lives. I don't consider it a religious text as much as a glorified essay.
>>
Use Sacred-Texts like mentioned, and you can find everything, but don't forget the Gnostic texts, Conversations with God by Neal Donald Walsh, The Alchemist by Paulo Cuoleo (Or whatever), and Kabballah, among other things.
Captcha: Historical iverwel
>>
File: aasrsj.jpg (29KB, 427x500px) Image search: [Google]
aasrsj.jpg
29KB, 427x500px
OP,

This book "The Morals & Dogma of the Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite"
contains a treatise on all of the major world religions and their philosophies.

all the other content aside, it does an effective comparison of all of these religions

Also, another great source for an objective look at the history and outline of world religions is contained within the many volumes of "The Story of Civilization" by Durant
>>
>>15284587

also, here is a link with link to free dloads of grimoires and such

http://www.hermetics.org/library/Library_Golden_Dawn.html
>>
>>15284528
that is such a boring book. the only good part was ramayana's brother that went with him talking about how you should always ignore women because they are foolish (i forgot exactly what he said cause I read it a year or two ago). I do not recommend reading Ramayana and would instead read the stuff like That Thou Art and Bhagavad Gita.
>>
Alright, I am gonna go out of the way here and ask. Why do you want to learn them all and for what gain?
>>
File: 1411806667434.gif (995KB, 500x720px) Image search: [Google]
1411806667434.gif
995KB, 500x720px
>>15284591

direct link to many other free dloads including Book of the Dead, etc.

http://www.golden-dawn.com/eu/displaycontent.aspx?pageid=247-sacred-texts-ancient-studies-mythology-collection
>>
>>15284597

not OP but, why does one study anything?
kind of an obtuse question
>>
>>15284597
he said he wants to see another perspective, so basically just wants to be enlightened.

It is a good goal. Reading vedic, taoist, buddhist texts helped me understand Jesus in profound way after having read the Bible and going to church (in fairness I never made it a very good habit of going).
>>
>>15284597
maybe OP is hoping to learn something he doesnt know yet. if that is the case then how could he answer your question if he doesnt yet know what it is he may eventually learn from this.?

>inb4 lead2gold
>>
>>15284604

Well call me speculative, but asking about what religious texts to read and asking for info on what others to find and study?

I may just be intrigued as fuck, maybe it was another night shift of weird shit happening, but my curiosity still has gotten the better of me.
>>
>>15284614

Maybe I am just crazy as shit, I am inclined to go with that.
>>
File: 1410461527922.gif (2MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1410461527922.gif
2MB, 640x360px
>>15284614

ok. well i think OP has the right idea. IMHO it is good to study as many religious and philosophies as one can, if so inclined towards these things.
i think it is important to have a perspective of the varities in each of them, as well as the similarities. I myself have more or less been trying for many years to do what OP is proposing here. it is obviously time consuming and takes great energy and focus to glean anything from it all.
my idea was to look at them all objectively, rather than becoming immersed in the acceptance of any one of them as the one truth.
it does make for an interesting study.
>>
File: 4chanunited.jpg (59KB, 604x483px) Image search: [Google]
4chanunited.jpg
59KB, 604x483px
>>15284618

this is 4chan, we're all a little craycray, some of us more than others. i wont disclose my powerlevel
>>
>>15284634

My powerlevel more than you. My powerlevel make yours look like a limp ass triple A battery.
>>
>>15282159
>>15282159

it'll take you a life time to read the bible, let alone any of the other texts you mentioned. I dont know if thats what you're setting out to do, But if you are, maybe look up Codex Gigas.
>>
>>15282159
don't forget a copy of the talmud
>>
>>15284900
Read like 30 pages a day and you'll get it done in a couple months.
>>
>>15284634
I didn't know we had radar on our side
>>
Get a kindle - many classical books come free on kindle and this applies to the holy books too (I got a free copy of Bible and Quran on mine).

Also, get Nag Hammadi library. It's the single most enlightening religious text (or rather a collection of texts) I've ever read.
>>
>>15282198
there is no one book of shadows. they are personal magickal writings.
I would suggest the Vedas and the Poetic Edda
>>
>>15284553
I already have a copy of the Principia (Loompanics), and it's one of my favorite books.
>>
>>15284597
OP here. First there are a few superficial reasons. I like the mythology and I think it'd be a cool collection of books to have. Sure, everyone has a Bible, or a Koran, or a religious text of some kind, but who has over a dozen of them?

Onto the deeper reason; I personally believe that none of these books are true. I think that they are simply a different perspective on the world. While reading, I'd like to change my perspective just to see what it's like. While reading the Bible, maybe, "Yeah, I can see why people would believe this. I could even see why some people would go out and protest funerals."

Other than that, I just want to. I always thought religion was pretty interesting, but I never took the time to read up on any of it.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.