[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the scariest game you've ever played?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 250
Thread images: 33

File: stalked.webm (1MB, 1360x768px)
stalked.webm
1MB, 1360x768px
What's the scariest game you've ever played?
>>
>>14609675
Life
>>
>>14609675
amnesia the dark descent of course
scp containment breach is breddy ghoul as well
>>
BUmping in interest
Just got Clock Tower for ps1 but haven't played because lazy, anyone play it? To many scary games rely to much on jump scares, I hate it.
>>
>>14609675
wat am i looking at op
>>
Erie (or eerie). It's a mod which I found rather tense. Idk what it is about it, but the breathing from the monster makes my hair stand on end. Also some really close moments ducking into vents and shit.
>>
>>14609757
Cry of Fear and Underhell are good mods as well.
>>
>>14609675

First Silent Hill. Played it in a 20 story building with no-one in it, in the dark, with headphones on.

Yeah. That creeped my shit out.

Scariest moment in a game however, I was playing Doom II in a custom WAD that had some Arch Viles in it. I didn't know this at the time, but apparently there was a glitch where they could res a monster that would be unhittable except for splash damage and would be able to walk through walls.

Motherfuckin shotgun grunt was unstoppable. Chased me around the map for like 30 minutes until I launched a rocket at him and hit the wall right next to him. Freaked me shit out.
>>
>>14609782
Why were you playing in a huge empty building
>>
>>14609818
because i killed everyone in it to feed my murder fetish
>>
>>14609818

I worked in a university dormitory over the summer with room and board being part of my benefits package. The regular students all went home after graduation and there was about a week before the summer students arrived.

20 stories of nobody after 5pm. Well, except for the security guards on the 1st and 11th floors, but they didn't do rounds.
>>
>>14609683
also Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs
>>
>>14609836
Lol thats weird as fuck
>I worked in a university dormitory over the summer with room and board being part of my benefits package.
Thats a dream fucking job
>>
>>14609875
Not if you are janitor ;_;
>>
>>14609675

Lemmings on sega
>>
>>14609675
Penumbra Black Plague
The best of the series.
>dat motherfucker fucking with your head and environment
>>
Silent Hill 3. It's not the scariest game I've played, but the most scared I've been while playing the game... if that makes sense?

It was a combination of playing late at night, with headphones, living by myself in the 'red light' district of my city. To make the situation even more intense was the fact I lived next to a couple of self proclaimed satanists.....
>>
File: image.jpg (108KB, 557x530px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
108KB, 557x530px
>>14609977

You poor, sorry faggot you.

Lol coward.
>>
>>14609675
The Grifter 3: Tokyo Grift DLC Package 1
>>
>>14609977
>implying a satanist is anything other than:
>1. retards trying to be edgy
>2. Christians
>>
>>14610049

>implying you know everything about everything and everyone and have experienced everything life has to offer
>>
>>14609875

Actually, it wasn't so bad. I was an administrator for an English as a Second Language summer program full of 20-something single women who tended to be dtf. Good times. The only fly in the ointment was that I had to be on call 24/7 pretty much.
>>
System Shock 2
>>
hide and seek with my cousin.
She's five and terrifies me because she does shit like be hiding on top of the fridge WHEN THERE IS NO POSSIBLE WAY FOR HER TO BE UP THERE. and she wont tell me how she gets to these impossible places, including inside of the locked shed holy shit the kid is an animorph who can turn into a liquid or some shit.
>>
Honestly?

Majora's Mask. You'd think it'd be something like Amnesia or FEAR or Clock Tower or SH or RE, but no. MM scared me worse. Not all at once or with in-your-face terror. But all the little things, added up, make it really disturbing to me.

The way the moon, with that look on its face, hung ominously in the sky and slowly drew closer as everybody just denied it and went about their lives, the sense of dread that was only amplified by the tolling of that bell as the hours passed, the constant reminders that you're running out of time, and the way Termina Field was cramped and claustrophobic compared to Hyrule-it's fucking nerve-wracking. Then there's the alien abduction at Romani Ranch, the Skull Kid's scream, Pamela's dad being turned into the walking dead and shoved into her dresser, the game over sequence, the Happy Mask man being all Uncanny Valley, and the dissonant serenity of the scenery on the moon when you finally get there. Like I said, the little things.

I think what really did it for me, though, was the NPC's. The three-day limit meant they could have three days worth of their lives entirely fleshed-out, and all the sidequests meant you got to know them as compelling, emotional, living characters on some level, so it was just plain creepy to have all of these living, breathing characters whose daily lives you could watch, and they're all living out their last days and reacting to it differently. Denying that the moon is falling and just continuing on as normal. Evacuating and seeking shelter. Breaking down and crying. Becoming depressed and withdrawn. Staying at home and quietly accepting it. Continuing to go to work even though there's no point any more.

It doesn't affect me as much if Joe Horror Protagonist is in danger yet again, but that shit was fucking morbid. God damn, Nintendo.
>>
The Fatal Frame games are pretty scary. And of course the silent hill games.
>>
>>14610186
Agree completely.
>>
>>14610186

This is why I mentioned lemmings from sega. (Although I haven't played it since I was a child) the sound effects of that game + the music and the way the lemmings were content to soldier on even if it meant them tumbling to their death and burning alive. May not be as deep as an rpg of fps but still the idea of it is fucking horrifying
>>
>>14610186
Yeah man I feel this. It was a depressing game. Dont forget all the deaths right, like the first deku guys son. The guitar playing zora. Terrifying? not really but the tone was very bleak and like you mentioned, the sadness of day three when everyone knows they're about to die. I'm gonna go play this again
>>
>>14610232
For me, that sadness, and the humanizing factor of it, is honestly more disturbing than gore and suspense. It's so...bleak.
>>
fatal frame
/thread
>>
dead space, the first time.
>>
>>14609675

The most dangerous game
>>
>>14609675
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
SOC

It's a fun game, but the universe fucks me up in the brain
>>
The hotel level in vampire bloodlines was my first real vidya horror experience. Noped out hard when that bitch ran by that hallway in the basement. You know the one I'm talking about.

A close second would be the ladder incident in the first FEAR, I was 13 or 14 and other than the bloodlines game I had no experience with scary shit. I stopped playing and didn't play again for a year.

More recently the first Amnesia got me pretty good, I had to play through it in 30 minute bursts and when I wasn't playing I couldn't get the terror meter out of my head.
>>
Metroid Prime
>>
File: sirennursefacecs.jpg (22KB, 580x326px) Image search: [Google]
sirennursefacecs.jpg
22KB, 580x326px
Probably not the scariest game ever, but Siren Blood Curse really freaked my shit. The idea of running away from a monster and then seeing yourself run from the monster's perspective is really unsettling.
>>
File: download.jpg (5KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
5KB, 225x225px
>CTRL+F
>no Call of Cthulhu
>>
The Suffering was pretty creepy, but it doesn't get a lot of love when these threads show up. I highly recommend it.
>>
Scratches. I almost died when the fucking African mask appeared out of nowhere. Spoiler alert btw.

That mythos based game where you play as your ancestors was pretty spoopy too with the 4th wall sanity effects.
>>
>>14611581

But it's shit.
>>
>>14609675
SCP Containment breach
106 still scares me.
>>
>>14612641
The game you are thinking of is Eternal Darkness. Good game.
>>
>>14609675
Played all the usual ones, slender, amnesia etc

but only silent hill 3 has stuck with me after playing it, jesus that game messed me up, more so than 2 since the horror is more aggressive and terrifying rather than mostly atmospheric horror like the second one. its like pure hell is just eating at you throughout the game
>>
File: f6zy5mo.gif (960KB, 338x350px) Image search: [Google]
f6zy5mo.gif
960KB, 338x350px
seconding Amnesia. Outlast is pretty fucked too, but pretty predictable

Also my favorite vidya "NOPE" gif
>>
File: Regenerador.png (98KB, 239x384px) Image search: [Google]
Regenerador.png
98KB, 239x384px
Overall RE4 isn't the scariest game, but the Regeneradors scared me senseless.
>>
>>14609675
QUAKE 64 Everything about that game is so fucking evil.
>>
Imscared was good
>>
I've played all the games that are designed to be scary, but I never got scared from them. Games like Amnesia, Silent Hill and Imscared were just boring to play for me. But games like Yume Nikki and LSD dream emulator gave me nightmares.
>>
There was a really underground Slenderman game that was about 100 times a scary as The 8 Pages

I haven't managed to find it again.
>>
driver 3
>those reviews
>>
>>14613478
Quake is awesome. Is there any difference between Quake 64 and the PC version?

Quake is /x/ as duck, the final boss is Shib Niggurath.
>>
>>14613802
>grifter: the game
>>
>>14611400
but that's a book
>>
>>14613802
you mean that shitty game where your head bobs uncontrollably?
>>
>tfw I can't get afraid at horror games
>tfw I always find a way to glitch them out, then laugh at the glitches
>>
>>14613890
>tfw i sprint in every game including horror games
>tfw it's not scary when you go through it at a pace they didn't expect you to
>>
>>14613802
Slender Haunt?
>>
>>14609675
Silent Hill 1&2, Penumbra, Amnesia, Marathon (freeware (had its moments), Yume Nikki (freeware), System Shock 2, Diablo (when I was little), Dead Space, Chzo Mythos (freeware), Myst (or maybe it was Riven?), the white chamber (freeware).

Serious Sam messed with me when I was a kid because the developers like to troll the player by scripting shit-tons of enemies to spawn behind you when you get a pickup, walk through a door, pull a switch, kill a different enemy... You get the idea.

>>14609947
Clarence was my favorite thing about that game. The dev had a good idea and executed it perfectly, you want to trust him because you have no one else to talk to. Cheeky bastard.
>>
File: series-ss.png (3MB, 2292x828px) Image search: [Google]
series-ss.png
3MB, 2292x828px
>>14613896
THERE IS NO FREE LUNCH
>>
>>14609682
You mean Second Life
>>
>>14613919
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ed3LyaffgU&t=0m30s

I loved the music in this game.

I didn't know it at the time, but it foretold a nasty psytrance addiction in my later years of life, and tracks like this naturally appealed to me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZV39TN4N-n0
>>
File: Operation2[1].jpg (41KB, 600x360px) Image search: [Google]
Operation2[1].jpg
41KB, 600x360px
>>14613934
Sorry forgot pic
>>
File: AloneintheDark.jpg (102KB, 600x332px) Image search: [Google]
AloneintheDark.jpg
102KB, 600x332px
>>
>>14613996
this gave me nightmares when i was 5
>>
>>14613996
The original AitD gets seriously fucked up as you descend the stairs, though.
>>
>>14610186
Agreed, MM creeped me out when I first played it as a kid.
>>
>>14613890
Try not playing shitty indie horror games then?
>>
>>14609675
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tr_4lxsa9Ds
>>
>>14614206
admittedly i haven't played many horror games since ps2 i think. But every horror movie i've played, pnumbra, resident evil 2+ (including code veronica), fear, dead space, condemned, fatal frame 2, random silent hills, all that shit if you sprint through you become fearless and generally progress at a rate which was unintended. Sometimes you miss shit and have to go back as you completely ran past it.
>>
>>14611581
I really liked that game.
I really did.
But it was so, horribly buggy. It should win some type of an award for worst PC port.
>>
I agree about the mask of majora. The moon, that fucking screwed face it had.
To me there is stalker shadow of chernobyl, call of cthulhu dark corners of the earth, siren.
i loved to play the first alone in the dark, liked the texts.
Also games that scared me somehow, commander keen, sometimes i felt the gameplay very strange. The background music in lavender town on pokemon.
>>
File: moon2.jpg (29KB, 480x228px) Image search: [Google]
moon2.jpg
29KB, 480x228px
>>
>>14609675
Daylight

Got it as a free with my graphics card but Jesus Christ its just eerie to me. Can't even really play it. And I've played and been bored with amnesia, outlast, slender, and the like.

Pitch black hallways illuminated by either a phone light or chem light, those whispers and the player character actually acknowledging the ghosts presence by saying they know that they're here, the slow chase from them, and the random scare events that are different every run. Can't even play it more than 30 minutes man.
>>
>>14613477
that fucking breathing. and creepy ass music.
>>
>>14614751
Well re4 had those scary guys with sacks over their heads and chainsaws. When i first started playing, it was a pretty scary game. But now that i'm an ace and can beat it on professional it's not so scary. But i do remember the first day i got it and how i shat myself in that first village. I bought the gamecube for twilight princess and it got pushed back a year, thank God that this gem got released or I woulda bought a system and never used it.
>>
>>14612620
what system?
>>
>>14609683
outlast>amnesia

Outlast is just a better and better looking/sounding version of amnesia.
>>
File: 2014-04-22_00008.jpg (393KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
2014-04-22_00008.jpg
393KB, 1920x1200px
A co op arma 2 OA mission I made. It is kinda shitty and not very open world. but then again It is my first real mission. It was so spooky my friends started to see shit that I did not even put into the game.
>>
File: 2014-04-24_00006.jpg (429KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
2014-04-24_00006.jpg
429KB, 1920x1200px
>>14614863
the worst part is I could not figure out how to get the fog script to work on multiplayer, so all the spooky fog you see is not even there.
>>
File: 2014-04-24_00008.jpg (377KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
2014-04-24_00008.jpg
377KB, 1920x1200px
>>14614870
btw no zombies in this
thinking about making an OFP(arma cold war assault) horror mission because everyone knows older games = spooker
>>
>>14609675
pizza delivery
>>
This, hands down.

I have literally never been this scared in my life.

It won't work on everyone, but if you're the sort to stare at ajar doors, peeking inside to see if some horrible monster is there, that's the game for you.

I freaked the fuck out in this game, most often for absolutely nothing. Other times... absolutely justified.
>>
>>14613919

I finished SS HD first encounter, it's all downhill from now on???
>>
Does anyone know unsual FPS games like Amnesia or The Hunter?

I mean FP games that do unusual things with the first person perspective. Like being a detective or something.
>>
CAN I SHARE MY DREAM GAME WITH YOU?

>be a sniper
>innawoods
>you're tasked with the defence of some village in the valley beyond
>you must protect your village from eldritch horrors that come at night
>during the day, you can lay traps and gather material, build tree houses, etc
>at night, you hunt the beast
>werewolf, giant, beastly vampire, and other creatures

Basically mixing Minecraft, The Hunter, Amnesia.
>>
>>14609684
There's a few jumpscares in it, but nothing major. Frantic music indicates when you're getting chased.

Good luck getting the 'best' ending!
>>
>>14614863
>>14614870
>>14614879
Looks cool
>>
>>14614863

I boned.
>>
>>14614944
Darkness Within: In Pursuit of Loath Nolder

You're a detective who's trying to solve a murder, and after you check out a big ass mansion, the protagonist starts to have restless dreams and sometimes he sleeps for days, and you have to find out the cause for them while you're trying to catch the titular guy who's one of the murder suspects.
>>
>>14614960

Nice!

Thanks!
>>
>>14614879
J.S.R.S. Soundmod has optional files you can use that adds "creepy" sound effects to wooded areas.
I've not tried it myself, but the original sound mod is top notch.
>>
>>14614960

http://youtu.be/SzDA7ZgPGFw

I noped.

Does anyone know a game like this but where the FP is free? Meaning, YOU move around freely like in Amnesia?
>>
Alan Wake, anyone? No? Well i like it...
>>
>>14609987
>>14610049

>implying Silent Hill 3 isn't fucking terrifying
>>
>>14614982

The sequel.
>>
Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Also a machine for pigs was so bad and disappointing its not scary at all they pretty much took out everything that made the 1st amnesia great in a machine for pigs. What a waste of money
>>
File: Condemned.jpg (15KB, 256x342px) Image search: [Google]
Condemned.jpg
15KB, 256x342px
>No one mentions Condemned.

Shit niggas what the fuck are you doing? This game is the scariest ever made by a zillion fucking miles. It just got everything right. The story, the gameplay, the atmosphere. It got everything to a T to make the most brick shitting experience ever.
>>
>>14614949
You might really enjoy The Forest when it is released. You're stranded on an island with a tribe of canibals. During the day you mostly just survive against nature by building shelter, gathering food, making weapons, etc... Then during the night you have to survive against the canibals.

It looks like a beautiful game and some of the gameplay footage was pretty spoopy.
>>
>>14614999
What's so scary about it?
>>
>>14614998

I don't get why everyone finds Amnesia scary. As far as I'm concerned they completely missed the target when they entirely removed combat. As soon as I realised there was literally nothing I could do against monsters except run away and hide in a cupboard until they super scurry noises went away it lost any pretence of horror. Outlast suffered from this as well. The key to real horror is to make you feel vulnerable. Engage your fight or flight response. That's taken away when the decision is made for you. As soon as there's any hint of trouble you just turn around, hit the sprint button and hide.

There's no tension, there's no indecisiveness. There's no, "Do I stay and fight." no, "Can I take him." and crucially no, "Holy shit, this is way more than I can handle, abort abort." moment when you round the corner and realise you've made a terrible decision.
>>
>>14615003

Basically you are a detective who gets framed for the murder or a fellow officer. From there you have to venture through the underbelly of the city to uncover the truth and clear your name.

It's scary because the story blends real-world horror with the implication of the supernatural. It's not some far out story that is completely unbelievable. The scenery looks good and is atmospheric (even these days it holds up okay) and it has a great soundtrack.

Crucially though it gets >>14615007 exactly right. You are not some super space marine but just some dude who 99% of the time only has a bit of pipe to defend himself with. Combat is difficult and you really don't want to engage in it unless it's absolutely necessary, but crucially it's also possible and a valid option. It means that when trouble comes you have to size up your options, and none of them are good. Fighting is difficult, but running and hiding are also very difficult, and it's all up close and personal which always adds to things.

Also it plays some great psychological horror, building suspense and tension really well. Some of the levels are exploratory where you're uncovering clues and stuff but you never know when something's gonna try and kill you. There's also some great set pieces that will creep you out too.

It's all round just a great game. I really think any /x/phile worth their salt should play it. Even if you don't personally like it it's a great example of the genre done right.
>>
>>14614949
um...
thank me later

http://www.sangfroidgame.com/
>>
>>14615027

I almost got that, but refrained.
>>
Fatal Frame series was fascinating and scared the shit out of me. Remember this old game I got from the discount bin at the grocery store a long ass time ago called Dare to Dream 3. http://gaming.wikia.com/wiki/Dare_to_Dream
Granted I started on the last game,it was still pretty spoopy.
>>
>>14614941
No, 2nd encounter was good. I didn't like II much at all but it had its moments. Haven't played three but I watched part of a let's play for it, the beginning parts of the game are slow but it gets better. People have speculated that the first levels were Croteam was making a point about game design by making those levels like a b'lops game.
>>
>>14614236
>purposefully breaks the game's atmosphere
>"i can't get scared"
>>
>>14612620
I second this.
>>
Amnesia the dark descent

I can't wait for the evil within, goin back to old school survival horror games
>>
File: Shock2 2013-05-24 23-49-10-24.png (183KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Shock2 2013-05-24 23-49-10-24.png
183KB, 640x480px
>>
>>14615218

Sometimes a little personal change in gameplay is all it takes to make an otherwise normal game scary.

Doing a run through of Farcry 3 with only the starting pistol and no skills gave some pretty brick shitting moments.

>Trying to sneak past an outpost at night.
>Get spotted by a sniper and run back into the jungle.
>All hell breaks loose in the camp as they are alerted.
>Bullets flying all around me as I run like hell.
>Their dogs run into the jungle barking to track me down.
>I hear them starting up a jeep to give chase.
>And so starts 20 minutes of shooting, running, and hiding as I try to escape their patrols.
>Finally manage to lose them by running into a cave.
>As I try to regain my composure I notice something in the shadows.
>I'm not alone.
>>
>>14615289
The alien mission in Farcry 3 was pretty unsettling too. Here, have a picture of the UFO you can see during said mission.
>>
>>14609675
rakata mind prison in KotoR
ash lake in DaS
>>
Not much of a gamer, but the only one that ever spooped the piss out of me was when I played through The Ultimate Doom the first time back when it came out. I think I was only about 8 or 9 at the time. Alien 3 for Genesis was pretty creepy too, at that age.

Some of the pastas/screenshots of recent games give me the chills a little bit too, but I've never played them. Namely the 'numbers station' thing in one of the Fallout games (I think?...) I've read it before and it seemed pretty creepy.
>>
>>14615218
It's more just habbit, every run is a speed run for me.
>>
File: Joe Biden is Approving of This.jpg (62KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Joe Biden is Approving of This.jpg
62KB, 300x300px
>>14614960
>Darkness Within: In Pursuit of Loath Nolder
The interior designs on Darkness Within cured my impotence even as it was so spooky that it then made my erection wilt in fear.
>>
>>14615295

>during said missions
>said

This makes my fucking stomach turn, and makes you sound like an insufferable cunt.
>>
>>14609782
>>14615505

Doom never gets the attention for being scary that it deserves, I don't think. I remember playing it when it came out. It was the first thing we ever put on our first DOS box. Anyone remember heading into your first encounter with the Cyberdemon but first being in that small room with Barons ripped to shreds and nailed to the walls around you? All I could think was "What the fuck could do THAT?"

There was a loneliness to that game that is still difficult for me to describe, 22 or so years after I first played it.
>>
>>14615733
YES. That was another thing that got me as a kid. You really feel very isolated and alone when playing it. I had forgotten about that eerie feeling until you just mentioned it.
>>
>>14609675

The game called real life.

/thread.
>>
Doom 64?

I don't know. I haven't played a whole lot of horror games.
>>
>>14610049
Satanism is literally the opposite of Christianity what the shit.
>>
>>14613963
That's actually kinky as shit.
>>
File: dayz.jpg (377KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
dayz.jpg
377KB, 1920x1080px
DayZ. Doesn't seem too scary but it makes my heart race like no other game.
>>
>>14610244
can't believe I'm siding with a trip faggot but this ^
>>
>>14616498
You are fucking retarded.
Source(s): I'm a Satanist
>>
Amnesia The Dark Descent
Resident Evil Remake
Condemned
Penumbra Black Plague
Slender The Eight Pages
>>
>>14617437
>memeo games
>>
>>14617226
I've sweated in DayZ like I have in no other game.

I think it's because in DayZ, you as a player have a long-term understanding and investment in the character through a structure that clearly lines your mortality and fragility. Instead of just being dropped into a situation and having to sympathise with your character, you develop it somewhat naturally over time.

And, you can fight back against things.
Like another anon ITT mentioned, games without fight or flight are missing out.
>>
The haunted mansion levels of timesplitters future perfect
Mainly cause I was a babbychild, playing a mindless,gory, fun shooter, and suddenly, there's legitimately scary shit going down
>>
>>14617450
>memeo

wat
>>
Outlast bugged me.
Silent Hill- all but homecoming scared me.
Paranormal- probably the scariest game I've ever played. Sadly, it was really short.
>>
>>14609675
'Ju-On: The Grudge' for the Wii.
'Calling', again for the Wii.
>>
>>14615733

And the cyberdemon's goddamn footsteps. I exited that room opposite the cyberdemon and wandered around for what felt like 5 minutes but was probably only 30 seconds at most.

Then a rocket flew past me and I saw it.

Whoah.
>>
>>14610186
FUCKING AGREED. The deaths also fucked me over as a kid. Shit really played with my felings. Great game though.
>>
>>14615002
Really looking forward to this, also.

Honestly, it's been difficult finding a game that's horrifying.

Steam has a game called 'home' that's pretty cheap. More of a mystery. Lone Survivor is pretty cool too. My biggest priority with horror games is sound quality>story>art>gameplay. I probably should stick to horror movies or something but it takes the interactive experience away. I love horror games but lately only thought Outlast was fun. Silent Hill and Resident Evil being favorites.

EXCEPT FOR THIS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kcF7E69C6Q
>>
Imscared, simply because it does a damn good job at presenting itself as truth as opposed to just some video game.
>>
File: descent5-533x400.png (307KB, 533x400px) Image search: [Google]
descent5-533x400.png
307KB, 533x400px
Descent.
When these fuckers would sneak up behind you and start tearing your ass off...
Milimeters from shitting my pants every time.
>>
D for ps1 was creepy as shit. also, DreadOut, which just came out on steam. DreadOut plays a lot like Fatal Frame and is unsettling with a lot of jump scares. D is similar to Silent Hill. I would post links to their wikis, but I'm on my phone so fuck it.
>>
>>14615007
I get what you mean here. One of the scariest gameplay experiences I had was playing Fallout 3. I had just started, about an hour into the game, and I thought that I was hot shit for being able to take bloatflies and molerats. So, I decide to go exploring with nothing but a baseball bat and a 10mm pistol. End up hearing this sort of panting sound behind me, turn around, and see a Deathclaw. He looked scary, but I thought that I could take him. My mood dropped when I realized that my bullets were hardly doing shit, and I had to run.

I think that effective horror can often be found in this way in games that aren't expressly within the horror genre; if you build up the player to think that they're a badass and then pull the rug from under their feet it can be scarier than starting off as a pussy.

That's why I think that a horror/hunting game would work well. Open world forest, with maybe a town in the middle, your own cabin, and the ability to do a lot with the world. Randomised monsters each playthrough.
>>
>>14615666
There is no need to be upset
>>
>>14613896
Diablo used to freak me out too, brah
>>
>>14617376
Good for you.
Here's a cookie.
>>
>>14614938
Penumbra was better and more fun,also scarier.
>>
>>14609675

Marathon really spooked me, then again I was 3. Great game.
>>
>>14618103
Shame the first act was short. Hopefully the second act has more content.
>>
>>14615666
666, Lord Satan is displeased
>>
Any good spooky games on Android?
>>
>>14614850
They released the PC version for free legally a few years ago.
>>
File: image.jpg (33KB, 536x287px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
33KB, 536x287px
I'm playing outlast ATM, because a friend kept bugging me about it. it's okay, Not really scary.
This face from Final fantasy VIII always gave me the creeps.
>>
>>14614938
It gets much less creepy once you realize that if you die, the monster that killed you despawns forever.
even that water thing.
>>
So is Daylight worth a torrent or is it basically Amnesia?
>>
File: White_Day.png (183KB, 369x500px) Image search: [Google]
White_Day.png
183KB, 369x500px
I couldn't finish it. Not because it was too scary, but because it had too many bugs.
>>
>>14609675
Friday the 13th for NES. I'm dead serious that game fucked withy head in many ways as a child.
>>
>>14614856

Outlast is definitely the scariest western horror game for a good while, the extension was just stupid scary, i'd love to see a sequel though...one based on the orignal story
>>
>>14610186
I think you've summed up MM for me too. Even as a kid, I knew something was... off a
>>
>>14622456
whiteday http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-doUvi2CIU
>>
Nosferatu: The Wrath of Malachi

Phenomenally creepy soundtrack and atmosphere.
>>
File: download (1).jpg (25KB, 284x177px) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
25KB, 284x177px
>>
>>14614863
>>14614870
>>14614879
this looks awesome! wish i could get into the arma control scheme
>>
>>14609683
>Amnesia
>Scary

u gotta be kidding. How is that shit even scary? The physics are hilarious.
>>
>>14609675
Stalker SOC and System Shock 2.

Max Payne 2 had some pretty fucked up moments too.
>>
>>14622582
Fuckin Hugo
>>
>>14622582
ty based hugo

>mfw it taught me what a bung was
>>
>>14610186
Tempting fate here, but glad no one has called you a pussy for having the feels. That's some good heavy gaming shit.
>>
>>14613440
Lol.
>Ah, let's get a little light on the matter.
>Nope. No. No thank you. No. Going now.
>>
The Theater.

The one with the creepy ass ticket taker.
>>
>>14610178
I leled.
>>
File: dark-souls-2_04.jpg (567KB, 2048x870px) Image search: [Google]
dark-souls-2_04.jpg
567KB, 2048x870px
>>14609675
>Dark Souls 2
We are all cursed
>>
All these amnesia fags
Anytime i see a
>Inspired by the works of H.P Lovecraft
Game get fucking dropped immediatly

Ive played all shitty indie ones that are popular nowadays

but only silent hill 3 has stuck with me after playing it, jesus that game messed me up, more so than 2 since the horror is more aggressive and terrifying rather than mostly atmospheric horror like the second one. its like pure hell is just eating at you throughout the game
>>
>>14622749
>its like pure hell is just eating at you throughout the game
If that game taught me anything,
it is that Darkness is more than simply an absence of light
>>
>this thread
I don't know how you guys pulled it off, but you are worse vidya shitposters than /v/.
>>
>>14622817
please enlighten us with your superior opinion then
>>
File: body_horror.png (235KB, 500x439px) Image search: [Google]
body_horror.png
235KB, 500x439px
>>14609675
The Sims.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Il5aZhYy8E&NR=1
>>
>>14622749
>its like pure hell is just eating at you throughout the game
>Silent Hill, especially 3

From 10 to 10, how much of a faggot are you?
>>
Thief 3 : shalebridge cradle level

Lights off and headphones on. Flipped me right out
>>
>>14614856
outlast was ok and scary enough but the atmosphere will never match up to amnesia.
However the DLC was way better then amnesia's DLC, machine for pigs ruined it.
>>
PLEASE POST THE DEFINITIVE SCARIEST GAME
>>
>>14611532

Bloodlines had a few scary moments in it, actually.

I do remember the Hotel being very creepy the first few times, but I've ran through that game so many times that the hotel doesn't even bother me anymore. Though the little creatures that you see eating the women on the tape, when they jumped through windows or cam out of no where - that made me jump thousands of times.
>>
>>14623087
>>
>>14609682
damn...
>>
>>14623087

See:

>>14614999
>>
>>14613802
bump for an answer
>pls respond
>>
>>14609841
Dark Descent, yes. But Machine For Pigs sucked balls.
>>
>>14609675
penumbra is a good game

>>14609683
OT but i got banned from scp foundation irc for not using correct grammar and then when i said it didnt matter if they could still understand what im saying and especially not on irc i got kickbanned
>>
>>14611496
>be strelok
>be in these dark agroprom tunnels
>see something glowing in darkness
>'hey, they even have effects of flickering light in the ga...'
>a human shaped monster with tentacle-like things around its mouth appears in front of me
>NOPENOPENOPE
>>
File: dishonored-logo.jpg (112KB, 619x599px) Image search: [Google]
dishonored-logo.jpg
112KB, 619x599px
Not *strictly* scary, but very depressing and definitely /x/ related.

It has its moments however. The first time I was attacked by rats was fairly panic-inducing, and I'm not particularly afraid of rats. I was far more wary of the weepers than I should have been, simply because they unnerved me so much.

The game becomes particularly amusing when you consider how terrifying Corvo himself is. He pretty much makes a murder cuckold out of Slenderman - At least the way I played him.

>"You are like the rivermen. They spread their nets wide, and pull up all manner of things. The sweet, the deadly, the poisonous, all together in one catch."
>>
>>14622456
that ghost lady was p scary though. if it wasn't so animu it probably would've had a nice atmosphere.
>>
>>14616488

Doom 64 was pretty damn freaky actually. It wasn't "scary" in the traditional sense but it was a special kind of disturbing that chills me more than most games that are actually horror games.
>>
>>14615003
the mannequins... and then that was about it
>>
>>14611573
just beat this game the other day, my mind still = blow.
>>
>>14622335

Doesn't despawn forever, just moves to a different spot on the map IIRC. Still though, it gets old because it's the same shit over and over again.
>>
>>14622582
I seriously forgot about how I used to scare myself when I was a kid with these games. Even the third one was exciting trying to not die fkin spiders and shit.
>>
>>14622712
nice try m8
>>
>>14623000
I was so fucking terrified of the burglars in Sims 1 when I was a kid. I remember one time my sim got a creepy ass anonymous phone call that said something like "We're coming tonight" and I practically shat out my heart. They still give me an incredibly uneasy feeling.
>>
>>14614982
i noped hard, but then when it appeared i was a bit dissapointed by the reveal
>>
>>14614991
i found that rather scary at times
>>
>>14615026
i played through condemned, and agree that it was a very enjoyable horror game
>>
Silent Hill 1,2,3
Resident Evil 1,2,3
Diablo 1
Ecco: Tides of Time [it really creeped me out as a kid. Still does...]

Can't think of any other game that creeped me out. Maybe Majora's Mask.
>>
>>14614944
Play Condemned: 2
Kind of spoopy detective game.
>>
>>14625049

>Playing Condemned: Bloodshot
I've played both and while I had a fun time with the second one, it totally jumps the shark at the midway point and just becomes tedious and frustrating after that. If you must play the sequel, play up until the lodge, then just shut the game off and imagine that Ethan dies horribly in some way.
>>
>>14615273
>System Shock 2
Mah nigga!
>>
Silent Hill 4 anyone? Just being trapped in that fucking apartment was insane. Reminds me of the copypasta 'psychosis'
>>
>>14618354
That's called a
>damned frustrating impossible leveling system
and I respond to it by going
>Google: Cheat codes for [game]
If they're gonna cheat like that, then I will counter in kind. Let's see how the game likes facing some suddenly-impossible thing it thought it could defeat...
>>
>>14613868
I don't think so.

I was disappointed to find out that the sequels (though great, play them even today) didn't have that same Cthulhu Mythos -feel...
>>
>>14625018
bloodshot wasn't half bad either.
>>
Not a scary game, but the level "343 Guilty Spark" in Halo. It had the perfect build up. Passing all the ships crashed throughout the swamp. Enemies are scared out of their minds, but not of you. Seeing gunfire over the top of a hill, with friendly dots on your radar for the first time in forever, but then climbing over and there's not even anything there. And not to mention that video you watch of Keyes's team.

And the whole time, above all else there was just a weird feeling that something wasn't right, but of course, playing for the first time you couldn't put your finger on it.

Not a game in itself that was scary, and there are obviously actual horror games much scarier than this one level, but in my opinion, Halo did perfect on the scare of this level.
>>
>>14627481
I feel you there. The level was creepy in and of itself. I was still pretty inexperienced with horror stuff when I first played Halo and admittedly, I was pretty young. When the Flood first... well, flooded into that room after the video, I freaked my shit and turned the game off. The Infection Forms didn't scare me at all. It wasn't until the Combat Forms started coming in that I switched it off.

I went back later and plowed through that level and the rest of the game but that first time had me freaked out.
>>
>>14622712
>ass ticket taker
Oh my.
>>
>>14622303
I have an unexplainable fear of that face too. I guess because its just unfamiliar to humans.
>>
>>14609675

Lasting, it's a free indie game for PC. I started playing without the idea it was a horror game. You should play it.
>>
>>14614863
After DayZ came out I actually wondered how fucking awesome a mod like that but /x/ would be. Even in the base ARMA 2 there's a glitch where there's these invisible dogs. Shit would be 2spoopy.
>>
Minecraft.
>Them caves be spooky
>>
Minecraft

>Them caves be spooky
>>
I don't play horror games, so my scariest moment would be while playing a multiplayer deathmatch game, someone who was killing everyone said my name, address and what I was doing, indirectly. Shit was scary, don't think he knows where I'm li-
>>
Dear Esther really got to me because of the "ghosts." It made you question if you really saw something of if it was your imagination because of the atmosphere.

Not the 'scariest' I would say, but it's really unsettling when you're focused on the narration or walking by and you realize you might not be alone.
>>
>>14609675
Morrowind.
>>
File: 197066-the_oro.jpg (17KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
197066-the_oro.jpg
17KB, 320x320px
>>14627774
>>
>>14628599
Anon, snap out of it! Anon?!

AAAAAAAAANOOOOOOOOOOOOON!
>>
>>14610049
All of my this
>>
Silent Hill 2. No other game has scared me (that I have played anyway).
>>
>>14630219
>aid my name, address and what I was doing, indirectly. Shit was scary, don't think he knows where I'm li-
>>>
>An

Remember Anon, this is a VR mission. Nothing you experience here is real, it's only simulated real, just like everything else.
>>
>>14609675
Alice in Wonderland, the mega violent pc game from 10 or so years ago.
I was rather sheltered from most violent media, and having a surreal cardman rush at me and frantically start clicking thus initiating a stab move multiple times until I see his blood is shooting out all over me. Fastest alt F4 I've ever done, but wasn't fast enough. Seeing the pc box art would still give me willies. Also a dracula type game. Totally dark and empty mansion for the first few minutes, walk into empty room, walk to door across from you, suddenly giant werewolf type thing starts shuffling toward you while growling, door is locked, bullets don't work. You have seconds to get out of there, but I never figured out how. Again and again it looms closer and closer, but inevitably it kills you, no escape.

Near every scary game is the scariest to me, because things scare me easily due to upbringing.
>>
Try the Toy Merchant game
>>
File: howlers1.jpg (96KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
howlers1.jpg
96KB, 1024x768px
>>14630865
I'm not sure, but I think you may be talking about American McGee's Alice and Clive Barker's Undying.

I liked how in Undying you couldn't perfectly aim the ectoplasm spell, but in the early game you had to use it because some opponents were resistant to normal bullets. The scrye spell, though, that was the best.
>>
>>14609682
2edgy4me
>>
>>14625031
what about Dead space? shit freaked me out in the beginning of the game lol
>>
>>14610042
... not again
>>
>>14614982
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8vTgRA6AtM
>>
>>14615783
For wich console?
>>
>>14618101
The nostalgia
>>
White Day: A Labyrinth called School

it's a korean horror game released about a decade ago, now able to be downloaded free easily with decent translations
>>
I found Cry of Fear pretty terrifying. Especially those things that stab themselves in the eye when they die, I hate the way they scream.
>>
>tfw poor as a child so cant relate to most of these game experiences

are any of these games available online?
would appreciate some recommendations of spooky games to download
>>
Fucking RE3
did not even played it, used to watch my older brother whenever he played any game.
>>
>>14613894
>>14624220

I have returned.
No, from what I've seen of Haunt, it sucks balls.
It was seriously some hardcore indie thing tha looked like it was made in some dudes basement and it was creepy as fuck.
>>
>>14625406
So your literally about 12, right?
>>
>>14613896
>Diablo (when I was little)

Yes! I was 8 and that game scared the living shit out of me. "Fresh meat!" with all the naked bodies on poles a la Cannibal Holocaust
>>
Probably Dead Space
I didn't really play video games growing up and just recently got into Survival Horror games so I missed out on the golden age of RE and Silent Hill.But yea playing Dead Space with the lights off, head phones on and high is shit was pretty intense.
>>
Does anybody remembers a playstation 1 game

is a firs person POV, you are in a mine, then you are in a big ass luxury yate, theres something about a little phantom girl

when you are in the yate while looking to the room someone hits you from the back and you can only see his shadow

cant remember the name been looking for it since forever...

it was a dar depressing game
>>
>>14637880
>tfw cant play this bc registration key isnt working
can anyone help?
>>
i still to this day have nightmares about re: nemesis and theyre just as scary now as i was when i was a teen

he does the shithe doesin the game too appears out of fucking nowhere and chases you with that fucking near god mode speed

honorable mention MDK that game freaked me the fuck out cant remember why
>>
File: 1342670618236.jpg (404KB, 960x764px) Image search: [Google]
1342670618236.jpg
404KB, 960x764px
Morrowind came out when I was 11 or 12 I could NOT fucking play that game when everyone was asleep at my house. I don't know what it was, I thought the music was eerie in a way and the whole vibe from the red mountain area and the fear of encountering vampires freaked the shit outta me. Happened again when I started playing Oblivion, but to a much lesser extent.
>>
>>14639067
Also, watched my dad play the first RE when I was really little and that first cut scene... fucking scared me for a solid week
>>
>>14609675
Metro 2033

Dead City part 1 and 2 and when you're in the Library
At 2am with all the lights off with the volume high as fuck, language on Russian with English subtitles

I highly recommend
>>
>>14613996
Holy fuck. I seriously never thought I'd see that exact picture ever again.

I used to play games on my Grandma's computer, (she's a graphic designer/magazine editor) and often she had random "Demo discs" (thing from early 90's) lying around.

I remember I used to play Marathon and the sequels a lot, but one day I decided to try a different disc, and found Alone in the dark. As soon as I saw that creature burst through the window I just went NOPE the fuck out of that room. That happened when I was about between 3-5 can't remember when, but that image you posted is the exact moment at which I left the room in a rush. Also creeped my younger (1-3) year old out as well, and he couldn't face that computer alone for several years until we recently booted it up and played the whole demo, round about 7-10 years later.

Thanks for the picture though, I honestly find it good to know I wasn't the only one to be freaked out by it.
>>
>>14610186
the ben glitch is just wrong. i can't put my finger on it but it's creepy in ways i find difficult to explain. MM is a very "off" game
>>
>>14639067
Oblivion when you ride through the woods and a portal pops up and the sky turns red. Fucking nope.
>>
File: manhunt_remixes.jpg (298KB, 600x601px) Image search: [Google]
manhunt_remixes.jpg
298KB, 600x601px
No one fucking mentioned Manhunt, I can't believe you guys...
>>
>>14638306

its Echo Night you fucking faggot
Thread posts: 250
Thread images: 33

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.