[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /wsr/, I've been having trouble with my computer for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: potato.png (11KB, 463x240px) Image search: [Google]
potato.png
11KB, 463x240px
Hey /wsr/, I've been having trouble with my computer for years now and I'm finally running out of ideas. I've kept the thing on life support but for the last couple days it's been brutal.

Let me explain what's wrong. Since 2014, my laptop has had a strange problem where it will freeze at random intervals. Sometimes it's because I move it or adjust the screen, sometimes it could be because I so much as breathe within a 500 mile radius. These aren't brief freezes either- I have to shut it down by holding the power button and restart.
Curiously, there would be times where after restarting, my computer would refuse to connect to internet or even acknowledge that any wifi exists at all (a red "x" icon where the wifi bars would be). It would take multiple restarts before it would reconnect again.

I have theorized that this is because of either the battery or the disk. Battery because I've had this thing since middle school and little me was stupid, not realizing that keeping a laptop charging 24/7 overcharges it. The disk because when it freezes, the disk light goes out and it occasionally does a disk check when restarting. Never finds a problem, though.

I do what I can to keep this thing alive- always making sure my drivers are up to date, scanning for viruses, cleaning off dust, etc., but for the last few days the freezing has got really constant, with its wifi connectivity issue in tow every time.

Is there anything I could do to at least reduce this problem without replacing the hardware? I can't afford to replace anything right now and if I have to do that I might as well just save up and build a better computer lol.

Pic supplied is a screencap of specs. It's an HP Pavilion TS Sleekbook 15, otherwise known as a "toaster."
>>
>>382976
It's not possible to "overcharge" a laptop battery. You don't dictate when the laptop charges the battery, it does. The laptop is smart enough to stop charging the battery without overcharging it, and if it thinks it's going to overcharge the battery it will stop charging it, even though you've plugged a "charger" into it.

Actually overcharged lithium batteries go on fire, and your battery hasn't gone on fire.
>>
>>382976
You'll always get a disk check when Windows has started from a disk but not shut down again.

This doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the disk.
>>
>>382982
excuse me for not using the right word- what I mean is that if it's unplugged, it'll die in like 5 minutes.
>>
>>383115
That's normal for a battery that's been around since 2013. There's nothing you could have done to make a battery in a PC last from then til now.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.