[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Playing this right now and im at the second half of it. What

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

File: GHOOULS.jpg (2MB, 2100x1554px) Image search: [Google]
GHOOULS.jpg
2MB, 2100x1554px
Playing this right now and im at the second half of it.
What are your thoughts on it?
I think it really got the Dark Souls treatment of being called hard because you might die a few times, but its actually a very fair and fun platformer if you put minimum effort in understanding it.
>>
Currently playing it on Genesis. It's an awesome game.

Game is extremely hard but it's fair that there are infinite continues and virtually no game overs since you always get to start at your last checkpoint.
>>
>>4256306
Im kinda disapointed that the only current year platformer that tried to emulate it are Volgarr the viking and Maldita Castilla. Volgarr is good but more of a trial and error game and Maldita nailed it.
>>
>>4256295
I love it. Yes it's hard and you'll die a lot, especially when you're first learning it but that just makes it all the more satisfying when you progress through the game.

>>4256320
There's a game called Battle Princess Madelyn coming out soon that takes it's inspiration from GnG, pic related:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Mgs7Bdrs8M
>>
File: 1491531674070.gif (2MB, 311x362px) Image search: [Google]
1491531674070.gif
2MB, 311x362px
>>4256338
good stuff I had no idea about that. Maybe not my style with the whole princess stuff but im glad it expands on the GnG formula.
>>
File: 1496355681527.jpg (23KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1496355681527.jpg
23KB, 320x320px
The tight control is really something to appreciate in this game. It all comes down to your decisions to when to jump or how you do it, making it a lot more engaging and on edge. You can only blame yourself if you did something stupid, more so that the enemy pattern is very predictable.
>>
>>4256295
I've always thought the same thing. The series is certainly difficult, but I almost never found it impossible or unfair like many people tend to meme. The sole exceptions being certain revisions of the original game and Astaroth on 2nd loop in Super. Those can suck a dick.
>>
>>4256295
It's a good game, but flawed in the same way DS is where deaths are designed to surprise you. So it's less about learning the systems in the game so you can deal with challenges as they arise and more about remembering ahead what surprise deaths are lurking so you know to avoid them.

It's a very well done example of it, but not a great style of challenge in my opinion.
>>
>>4256416
I can agree on that, the player losing should never in be a suprise in any kind of way. At the same time this game was made in the period where game were short and meant to be played multiple times. Once you get throught it for the first time, it shouldnt become a problem anymore. It adds to the fear when entering a new area in a certain way, its hard to balance out.
>>
>>4256434
I think it's a valid design choice, it's just not one I find all that interesting. I do think it's a very good example of it though.
>>
>>4256306
>Currently playing it on Genesis. It's an awesome game.
I hope you're not implying they're the same game.

Anyway, it's my least favourite GnG, but it's still a decent game. Music on the ice level is great. Someone should upload the Saturn remix of it to YT.
>>
>>4256521
I love the the genesis soundchip but in this case ill give it to Super GnG. Its really not the same game.
>>
File: SGnG.jpg (2MB, 3069x2416px) Image search: [Google]
SGnG.jpg
2MB, 3069x2416px
SGnG is such a joy to play even when it's whipping your ass, and even with the slowdown (my only gripe with the game). Shame there wasn't a SNES sequel.
>>
>>4256595
That's one of the reasons it's better to be played via emulator. It's almost like playing a rhythm game.
>>
>>4256595
Your only gripe? What about half the levels having dull autoscrollers? Or the last few boss fights being unoriginal and stale? Or the new magic being way too powerful? Or the game having too many mode7 gimmicks (like Super Castlevania Bros.)?
>>
>>4256621
the autoscrollers imo arent so bad. I think I had more gripes with mario world for how easy and boring they are.
>>
Consolized garbage.
>>
>>4256664
what the fuck does that mean.
>>
>>4256664
?
>>
>>4256668
not him, but probably that it's an inferior entry of an arcade game series.
>>
>>4256679
Well, its not even the same game.
>>
>>4256668
>>4256675
first gng not to be in the arcade first, and it shows
>>
>>4256698
explain your reasoning in english fucker
>>
My main problems with it are the lack of control when you jump and the surprise enemies that kill you and not being able to find any health.

If you could jump like in super mario world or even Mario 3 then it would make the game at least playable for me. Having locked jumps is so frustrating that the game isn't fun anymore, especially when you jump and then the enemy decides to move to where you will land so you just die.

If I could find some health it would stop me from wanting to die on purpose after getting hit once at an easy part.

I did give this game a fair shot and made it passed the ship and got to some watery cave like area that just got too frustrating with enemy movements. It might be funner if you play the game over and over and know all the enemy movements and item drops but it doesn't appeal to me.
>>
The GBA version with the alternate routes is pretty rad, mainly because it lets you skip the shitty autoscroller stages.
>>
SGnG is boring, play superior Daimakaimura
>>
>>4256295
Is there any port of this that fixes the slowdown?
>>
>>4257358
PS2 port
>>
>>4257362
Nice. Thanks
>>
What are some games that feel as tight as the GnG games?

I can think of Ninja Gaiden and classicvania as the obvious answers
>>
>>4257379
Kid Icarus
>>
>double jump

you didn't actually beat GnG if you played this version.
>>
>>4257379
Street Fighter
>>
>>4257528
It doesn't actually make the game any easier
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.