[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Longest lasting console?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (239KB, 1563x942px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
239KB, 1563x942px
Which consoles have the longest lasting build quality? I know a lot of it has to do with how you care for the console, but there are some consoles that seem to have a typical lifespan before parts need to be replaced no matter how well you've taken care of it (Dreamcast and NES as an example).

Personal experience and statistics are very welcome, if anyone would care to share.
>>
>>4254971
The penis console.
AS in, mine ;)
>>
>>4254971
I only have sony consoles and the laser dies doesn't matter what you do.
>>
Most Atari 2600s are still working. Solid state consoles with no moving parts should last indefinitely.
>>
>>4254971
I still have my Atari 2600, the thing's 40 fucking years old and has only needed work when a cat bit the fucking cord.
>>
>>4255015
This, the more simple a console is designed/built the less there is that can go wrong.
>>4255015
Jesus, was the cat okay?
>>
Saturn has the best build quality out of any CD-based system. Most cartridge-based stuff will last for a long time with the exception of the NES, thanks to retarded pin design. Boil them, put alcohol on them, they'll still die long before your SNES.
>>
Atari 2600. The heavy sixer even looks like it can survive through an EMP blast, just look at its internals.
>>
>>4255025
The Atari wasn't plugged in at the time.
>>
>>4254971
My GBC and N64 seem to be doing great, but I haven't really been caring for them. Anybody have any tips to keep them in top shape?
>>
>>4254971
My 2600 is still working, just like my NES and XEGS
>>4255029
Is the Saturn really that good?, The PS and other new consoles gave me bad experiences
What about the Dreamcast?
>>
>>4255103
Second on tips for maintaining a Nintendo 64
>>
>>4255554
N64s are pretty fucking sturdy. GBCs even hold up pretty good just don't drop it, leave it in your wet pants pocket or let the sun shine directly on the screen for hours - or leave batteries it and leave it face down for months/years so the acid can leak into it.
>>
>>4255132
I've seen come people complain about the lasers dying on the Saturns (usually in regards to either swap tricking or just using burned CDs in general), but mine at least is still going strong. Well outlasted any PSX I have known, at least.
>>
>>4255875
>but mine at least is still going strong
same her and i got mine on release, the pads completely worn out.
>>
Got an original model NES that's still working perfectly. My SNES has decided that yellow > grey which seems to be rather common, and also is starting to be flaky with actually launching games. My original Game Boy plays the sound of games but the screen seems completely dead. Tiger Game.com developed a bunch of dead lines through the screen rendering it unusable. Watara Supervision just seems to have straight-up stopped working... on my shelf. Popped new batteries in to play Crystball and nothing. The most egregious offenders tho have always been disc-based whatevers; I've had 2x Dreamcasts have disc motor death, 2x PS1s stop reading anything, an original Xbox and a 360 with the same problem, and a PS3 that the GPU decided it had enough of life on. The newer the system, the shittier the build quality.
>>
>>4255908
Dreamcast is not good like the Saturn when it comes to build quality?
>>
I think the SNES and Genesis.
I don't imagine the Neo Geo breaking, but there's not much people that own it so I have no idea.
The N64 is quite strong, but the controllers are not.
Disc based systems tend to fail because of the moving parts.

On the other end are the worst build consoles ever, like:
Game gear, screen problems? sound problems? leaking capacitors? It has it all.
the NEC Turbo Express... same thing.
The CDi... the console dies when the battery dies. Brilliant design.
The Jaguar CD.
>>
Judging by my collection, the Atari 2600 is tough as fuark. My SNES also doesn't seem to ever give up and I play it a lot til today.

But the older, the tougher in any electronics case.
>>
The NES since it's square and flat so that Americans could put their drinks on it without spilling
>>
>>4254972
Not retro. It's only 12 years old.

>>4255101
How did your console need work when your cat bit a cable not plugged into it?
>>
i've seen atari 2600 with dried out caps causing bad pitcher quality, nes electronics are good but you need to clean the connector, I have 2 snes's that have the black screen issue, master system I've never seen not take carts, I have a genesis model 1 with bad caps that causes distorted sound and some graphics glitches on master system games, I have 1 famicom that has a very weak video signal, saturn is very reliable except for the caps in the power supply, all versions of the ps1 are very unreliable
>>
>>4257005
I got a neo geo mvs with no sound, seems to be a common problem from dried out caps
>>
>>4254971
My NES still works and has never had parts replaced and I've had it since it first came out.
>>
I've had my og Xbox, n64, ps2 and dreamcast(that I bought from a friend so idk how long he had it or how he took care of it) work perfectly since 2004/2005
But then again I stopped playing those consoles for the most part when I got my 360. Pretty much just played on Xbox live for the past ten years
>>
Atari 2600

All other answers are wrong.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.