[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Everquest

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6

File: 201.jpg (158KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
201.jpg
158KB, 640x480px
So, what's your opinion on Everquest? I used to play it all the time in high school, though after WoW came out it made it a bit hard for me to go back.

I don't really see too many people talking about EQ nowadays, which I think it a little strange. I mean it was pretty much the biggest MMO for a long while, yet there's hardly anyone talking about the legacy the game left behind or anything. Heck, I was bored and went searching for some sort of "history of Everquest" video on youtube and was surprised at the severe lack of actual good EQ content. Plenty of people still talk about other old games, why is EQ pushed aside? Just harder to get footage for the game? General apathy?
>>
>>4252863
There isn't much talk about UO either. Younger people can easily get their hands on old games but nobody can go back in time and play an old MMO during its prime. EQ today is nothing like it was originally so you really had to be there in order to fully appreciate it.
>>
File: 1.jpg (619KB, 1900x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
619KB, 1900x1000px
I play EQ on Project1999. It's the best EQ there is. They keep relaunching EQ on Sony's official servers, but it's a different company now called Daybreak and they keep re-releasing shit because they're incapable of making their own shit. Project 1999 is Kunak and Velious and that's it, it's classic EQ before they started dumbing it down for people. The reason it gets put aside is that it's bitch hard, it's the NES of MMO's. You have to behave like it matters, because it does and you'll cost yourself a lot of time if you fuck up. You should come try P99, relive your days before 9/11 and identity politics.

Here's a few pics of messing around with my guild, we're the #1 guild on P99 and we do all the hardest content in the game every time it becomes available due to mob timers.
>>
File: 2.jpg (888KB, 1900x1000px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
888KB, 1900x1000px
There's almost always 1,000 people playing, no boxing is allowed so it'd 1,000 individuals, not 200 with 5 boxed accounts. Less so in the mornings but every evening from 3 PM to 1 AM there's 1k people thriving. It's enormous and there's no instancing so 1k people on 1 huge map.

I love EQ with all of my heart because when my family began to fall apart at 14 or so, EQ was all I had. I spent a lot of time in Norrath and as a reality replacement, I have no regrets. I remember when the expansions came out and I remember what was happening in my life and where I retreated when things got too tough for me. The day my mom left me by myself for 4 years, day 1, I remember taking my monk to Luclin and crafting fish biscuits because they were the lightest food a monk could carry. I sat on a rock in the zone beside Luclin, fishing and making biscuits for 12 hours until I was maxed for my level. It sounds depressing, but having an insane family member abandon you is a lot better than them staying around.
>>
File: 3.jpg (494KB, 1900x1000px) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
494KB, 1900x1000px
On Live (what we call Sony servers because of Sony Live service), I had a 60 Cleric, 60 Monk, and 60 Rogue. This was the first MMO ever so I remember soloing my rogue to 50 and later 60, it almost killed the game for me how tough it was to kill shit that gave XP on my own. I got killed a ton and clerics would resurrect me and save me so much time, I decided to make one to save other people time. It was the most amazing feeling ever to help people and this is why I play support classes 99% of the time in any game, my Cleric experience in EQ. Monk came later when I saw some of them doing cool shit, I had a blast with monk cause you didn't have to worry about faction, you could just kill whoever you wanted and goof around.

On P99 I have a 60 Cleric and a 56 Enchanter. I'm working on hitting 60 with my chanter but I really don't like the class at all.

If you enjoyed EQ, come try P99. The community is the best and there's always stuff to do.
>>
File: 4.jpg (526KB, 1900x1000px) Image search: [Google]
4.jpg
526KB, 1900x1000px
I used to go back to EQ and feel so lonely cause every 10 people would be 1 person and they had no need to talk to you because they were their own guild. There's tons of low level guilds to do groups and content with, there's 3-4 end game raiding guilds but I'm in the #1 guild. #2 is almost as good but they fuck around with cheats and scummy tactics to compete. But competing every week is a blast.

Guild event fun
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXLLhxzNdN0&t=1s

Guild level 1 PVP event
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdfMPp8SSqY

Guild level 1 Iksar race event
https://youtu.be/PMk-f6WJUnU

Guild event Ring War
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqLYhpcOsVs

As you can see, there's tons of people playing still, and even though there's a ton of fucking cynics on youtube shitting on the game and what it's become, P99 is a time capsule from a bygone era before politics ruined all our lives. It's not dead, Everquest isn't dead, even if on the inside we all are.

I took this pic a moment ago, there's this many people hanging around before noon on a Tuesday.
>>
>>4254216
Yeah but p99 kinda sucks now because everythings been done and 9/10 players have at least 1 max lvl alt. That and the turbonerds poopsocking and lawyerquesting every good spawn really makes playing through the high lvls a PITA
>>
I played EQ when I was 9 in 1999, up until I was 12.

Those were some of the best gaming days of my life.

I think EQ isn't talked about much because at it's peak, EQ had 400,000 subscribers, I believe. That is minuscule compared to the number of people who play video games and are online now. WoW had 12.5 million people playing it at one point, plus all the people who played other Blizzard properties and previous Warcraft games.

EQ took a while to reach 400,000 and never went beyond that in the early 2000s and then was quickly forgotten about.

EQ is still one of the best games ever made to me, and the community, the flow of the game, and the playerbase was what made it amazing. Sitting for hours camping somewhere with the same group really brought people closer, they learned coordination and learned about each other in ways other online games can't touch.
>>
>>4254914
>Sitting for hours camping somewhere with the same group really brought people closer, they learned coordination and learned about each other in ways other online games can't touch.

IE, every old multiplayer game.
>>
There's still eq communities but most communities stick to themselves.

Decent game but awful code and execution. Only ppl who play it are nostalgiafags.
>>
>>4255273
>nostalgiafags

Forget where you are?
>>
>>4254216

that crack in the wall is my spot on p99

name is Meisman, erudite negromancer
>>
Anyone else played EQ2 here? It was the absolute greatest MMO, until it got F2P.
>>
>>4252863

EQ was the greatest gaming time of my life. Played from Kunark through SoL until I foolishly sold my account (1k was a lot of money to a 16 year old). I tried to get back into it after PoP? and the community wasn't the same and I think my server merged with another one. I think the sheer scale of WoW is why you don't hear much about EQ anymore. What >>4254914 said basically.

Anyone play on Vazaelle back in the day?
>>
>>4256475
saryrn/luclin here
>>
I jointed EQ really late but still loved it. My favorite thing about EQ was that it didn't lock content behind levels. In WoW you were basically helpless against higher level creatures because the way damage and armor scaled so absurdly. I loved being able to kite lvl34 hill giants as a lvl 24 druid as all of karana watched.

I loved that I could craft basically anything without having to be a high level character. I could pump out blessed faydark stingers and sell them for anywhere from 40 to 200 plat to rangers who couldn't read the cooldown or warriors with an empty bow slot who jus wanted the +5 str.
>>
I never played EQ, should I play p1999?
>>
File: FB_IMG_1504631366605.jpg (27KB, 548x247px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1504631366605.jpg
27KB, 548x247px
Fuck EQ, gimme some sweet Realm Online.
>>
>>4258689

Project 1999 looks rad but it requires a legit copy of eq and I don't trust downloading an executable from torrent sites. If you find a way to play it early EQ is the GOAT of MMO's
>>
>>4258858
Aw shit ill show you where to get titanium
Gimme a min
>>
>>4258858
http://m.thepiratebay.org/torrent/12176796/EverQuest+Titanium+-+Project+1999+-+The+Scars+of+Velious

That one is set up for playing on p1999, the uploader is from my guild it is legit
>>
I play on P99 and it's one of the comfiest games I've ever played, and I only played it for the first time in 2016.

You gotta try P99. People on there are so fucking friendly, I play a Halfling Druid and some random-ass dude gave me this super powerful weapon for no reason.

Personal thing here--but the low-poly look of the game kind of requires you to use your imagination to take in the world around you, which in a weird way makes it SUPER fucking immersive.

If you like older style RPG stuff, this game will make your dick rock hard.

PS my halfling druid is level 12 and his name is "Trillbo" if you or anyone else in this thread wants to group up some time.
>>
>>4259992
it sounds like your first time playing an mmo.
>>
>>4259997
I was a huge WoW faggot back in 2008/2009. Never hit level cap though
>>
>>4259992
Haha ill look you up next time im on my halfling druid Frilbo
>>
>>4254171
>The reason it gets put aside is that it's bitch hard, it's the NES of MMO's. You have to behave like it matters, because it does and you'll cost yourself a lot of time if you fuck up
not OP but that sounds like one of the things i hate from classic RPGs because it discourages experimenting & getting creative with character

>Project 1999 is Kunak and Velious and that's it, it's classic EQ before they started dumbing it down for people.
i never got what legacy servers have against expansions after a certain point.

i get it's because of mechanics but isn't it possible to add the content of the later expansions without the updates?
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.