[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Japanese arcades Are better lit Have better games Have more

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7

File: 924819-jarcade_795282.jpg (169KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
924819-jarcade_795282.jpg
169KB, 1024x768px
Japanese arcades

Are better lit
Have better games
Have more games
Machines have bigger screens
are cleaner
have little or no children
have no drug dealing or crime
give you a fucking seat instead of making you stand for over an hour to beat Metal Slug
allow gambling and other activities
>>
>>4252481
The later arcades maybe. Most the 80s cabinets are the same in America and Japan. Also most the SEGA cabs are the same in America and Japan.

Nice phonepost though, kiddo.
>>
The grass on the other side of the fence

It's greener

Nah actually there's just less interest in arcade culture in the US, it's more of a feature (arcade bars) than a theme (arcades with bars). We had a Sega Gameworks that went under then other people reopened it as a "KDB" for Kitchen Dining Bar apparently but anyway it closed down earlier this year and I see some of the cabs being sold on craigslist. Sad, kinda.

At least we have Cedar Point's main arcade it's pretty awesome and I doubt it'll ever close since the park is so successful as a whole and there's no rides or anything that could fit in that space.
>>
>>4252481
>Are better lit
yeah they better to play lit
>>
>>4252501
Isn't everything?
>>
>>4252481
They don't allow gambling.
>>
>>4252505
Do you actually think pachinko isn't gambling?
>>
>>4252493
It's not. Japanese arcades BTFO American ones. Round 1 in California is comparable to the Round 1 in Japan, but Japanese arcades are cheaper to boot.

t. taught English in Japan
>>
>>4252501
No, darker is better.
Bright lighting in the room causes screen glare which can be seen in OPs photo.
>>
>>4252592
He was making a dude weed lmao
>>
>>4252510
I think pachinko is something separate from "Japanese arcades."
>>
File: tumblr_n23ckm3Ck81rbb611o2_1280.jpg (135KB, 800x631px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n23ckm3Ck81rbb611o2_1280.jpg
135KB, 800x631px
>>
>>4252481

> Are better lit

Sometimes. If it's a multi-story game center, usually the bottom floors with the prize games are really well lit, and the upstairs with the game cabinets will be dark as fuck.

> Have better games

North American arcades are rare, and usually packed with classic machines. I guess it depends what you like. Modern Japanese Arcade machines are a trip, I love the gimmick machines like that game where you punch dinosaurs, or the table flipping game.

> Machines have bigger screens

Classic games haven't changed in size. Modern games have big screens. What's your point?

> are cleaner

They're also more likely to allow smoking indoors, so everything has that gross film on it.

> have little or no children

Not really.

> have no drug dealing or crime

depends entirely on where you are in both countries

> give you a fucking seat instead of making you stand for over an hour to beat Metal Slug

Depends on the arcade.

> allow gambling and other activities

They most certainly do not
>>
>>4252481
the chair thing alone sounds like a deal breaker.

It's 20-40 minutes for one credit of a game if you are good. There are game that run in the 80 minute range.

Standing for an hour like that would fucking murder me
>>
>>4253002
>Sometimes. If it's a multi-story game center, usually the bottom floors with the prize games are really well lit, and the upstairs with the game cabinets will be dark as fuck.
Well that explains the upper floors of the arcade in Overwatch's Hanamura map being so damn dark.
>>
>american arcades are crap
no shit sherlock
>>
File: 20150430_150541.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20150430_150541.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>
Western arcades:
>have mood lighting that reduces glare on CRTs, sometimes lit using a sweet blacklight
>don't smell of cigarettes
>no lines
>are all in English
>>
File: 20150503_202920.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20150503_202920.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>4253013

Here's the 2nd floor of a Taito Station; it's practically lit by the monitors and cabinet lighting.
>>
>>4252481
>Are better lit
Fuck the lighting bullshit i prefer it being darker as it adds to the atmosphere.
>Have better games
Subjective opinion as American arcades are harder to find as many of them went out of business the minute consoles could properly emulate the arcade.

Most arcades now are just claw machines on the beach however to classic retro places there are alot of 80's and 90's games for the spots were arcade games are avaliable.
>Have more games
That is because our arcade franchises are dead and now smaller companies with less money are the ones running the show.

Aside from chuck e cheese no one runs the arcade business via franchise any more at most a arcade will have a few locations but that is all.
>Machines have bigger screens
It depends on the game and whether or not it is original or a reproduction.

Alot of new machines have alot more games then their classic counterparts do.
>are cleaner
Depends.
>have little or no children
I really do not know enough about Japanese arcades to come to any conclusion. But either way nip kids will probably find their way into some form of arcade.
>have no drug dealing or crime
Crime is where life is at.
>give you a fucking seat instead of making you stand for over an hour to beat Metal Slug
Depends again on the arcade. I have had times were i had to move the seat to properly play a game or use them to hold my stuff.
>allow gambling and other activities
Completely illegal but done either way.
>>
>>4252481
Obviously you've never been to a Japanese arcade. The second floor is poorly lit, the is a haze of blue smoke because everyone chain smokes, the floor is mad sticky cause every one spills their can coffee on the floor, is one of the few spots you can get drugs, is mostly populated by high school kids and early 20 year olds and the main floor is supply crowded by dozens of loud high school girls taking pictures in purikara, there is always some shady yakuza guy walking around making sure you're not cheaping the pachinko machines, and a lot of them are segregated and designed especially for kids with rides and ball pits.
>>
>>4253263
Also yes you can take your winning items or receipt to a shady ass booth next to the pachinko place and exchange it for money. When I lived in a more rural town the pachinko place in front of the train station used to have lines of old drunks guzzling Onigoroshi who looked homeless line up outside at 7am waiting for the place to open so they could spend their pension checks
>>
>>4253264
and just to add some flavor, Onigoroshi (lit. demon killer) is basically the Cisco wine of Sake
>>
>>4253002
t. fat ass that's never left his piss soaked basement
>>
>>4253263
> there is a haze of blue smoke because everyone chain smokes

[citation needed]

your dad's picture books from the 80s don't count.
>>
>>4252481
psssst...'meruca doesn't like to hear it's inferior. It greatly messes with their fragile egos, just move on and call it a day.
>>
>>4253519
I pee in a 2 liter thank you very much.
>>
>>4252481
The answer is: no niggers in Japan to shit them up.
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>4253556
I lived in Tokyo and Chiba for 5 years. You know they can still smoke inside in Japan? Bars, resturants, airports, malls, they have smoking rooms everywhere and usually you can smoke in arcades as well
>>
Wait, were American acrades drug dealing hotspots? Is that why all the fucking roms have the winners don't do drugs messages?
>>
File: tenor.gif (1005KB, 427x498px) Image search: [Google]
tenor.gif
1005KB, 427x498px
>>4253850
wha you just said to me???
>>
>>4253850
American arcades were overrun by gangs in the 90s. The NBA originally didn't want to license NBA Jam because they didn't want to be associated with gangs.
>>
>>4253850
Blacks treated these places like daycares. They'd dump their kids there and go score crack or whatever it is they do.
>>
>>4253850
Ignore the other dumbfucks, the "winners" message was just standard industry appeasement to keep the government and concerned parent groups happy. As for arcade based drug trade, put enough teenagers in a darkened, noisy, and busy room with lots of places to stand behind and a baggy of weed will change hands eventually. I can't imagine it being any worse than most western nations unless you lived in a shithole like Compton or Detroit.
>>
File: DSC_2536.jpg (3MB, 3008x2000px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_2536.jpg
3MB, 3008x2000px
>>4252487
>Most the 80s cabinets are the same in America and Japan.
Maybe the pre-JAMMA ones, but everything post-JAMMA that wasn't a driving or shooting game was sold as a conversion kit for tabletop and sit-down cabinets in Japan. That's why most Japanese PCBs only include a pair of instruction sheets and maybe a pop card.
>>
>>4252481
>>Are better lit
No they're not
>Have better games
Entirely subjective
>Machines have bigger screens
Depends on the cabinet...
>are cleaner
Have fun with the 4 inches of cigarette ash on the fucking panel
>have little or no children
No?
>have no drug dealing or crime
Hahahahahahaha. Hahahahah Oh boy
>Give you a seat
Depends on the arcade in the US. Sounds like your too fucking fat to stand up for an hour?

OP has never actually been to Japan, confirmed. Japanese arcades are fucking awful to be in, dimly lit, and fucking filled with cigarette smoke, and delinquents (which I'm sure, if you had half a brain you'd realize that generally leads to petty crime)
>>
>>4252481
>allow gambling and other activities
You have lost your fucking mind. Pachinko parlors barely skirt past the anti-gambling laws, and they have to jump through hoops (and make you do the same) to do it. Please don't get your stupid ass caught gambling in an arcade, mahjong parlor, card house, or anywhere else, really. I can't speak for the whole country, but in the greater Tokyo area they enforce the law.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.