[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, what are your thoughts?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_7756.jpg (39KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7756.jpg
39KB, 800x450px
So, what are your thoughts?
>>
>>4252053
About what, Atari vs. Amiga?
>>
I think it sounds like a bit much and I'm sure with 16 (32?) other players I'd feel self-conscious for not knowing the game as well as I could - but on the other hand it could be a good /vr/ hangout.

Also, despite it existing for the entire duration of /vr/ plus some, I was unaware of the co-op romhack somehow until I read about it in an article on this. I may play it today with son.
>>
I think it's amazing. Kaze did a fucking great job.
>>
Neat concept.
>>
>>4252053
Only syncs star count and you can see other players and collide with them.

Doesn't sync enemies or ingame state between players.

Its okay/10
>>
>>4252053
works great. I did a 120 with my buddies in about 40 minutes.
>>
>>4252378
Is

>>4252120
True then? You can't clear enemies or fight bosses together? Or split up the job of collecting coins?

Also does anyone have a "Best SM64 Romhacks" infograph? I know I've seen one floating around before and even thought I saved it but can't find it.
>>
>>4252120
you can turn off collisions
>>
>>4252062
The co-op hack is broken beyond belief, it's a waste of time.
>>
File: _20170416_143336.jpg (2KB, 46x98px) Image search: [Google]
_20170416_143336.jpg
2KB, 46x98px
It showed me how awful /v/ is at video games
>the were struggling to get top of fortress star
>the snow slide star was too hard
>some dude was stuck on bowser not knowing how to defeat him
>discord was infested with memes
>>
>>4252419
We were just watching a playthrough and it looked okay - the guys were commentating about things that had been fixed (camera, separate life totals) have you played the newest version?
>>
>>4252424
>discord was infected with memes
>implying there's a discord that isn't

Beyond that though you now realize why people call it a dated game. Because they fucking suck at it.
>>
>>4252053
it's impressive, but also very unrefined
for starters it would be nice to display the location of other players on the window and perhaps give the player an option to warp to them
>>
File: IMG_3214.jpg (88KB, 653x517px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3214.jpg
88KB, 653x517px
I did a 120 star run with buddies.
Here's what I noticed about the syncing

>the game does not sync the game world objects
>meaning that if you and another player are in one level, you two are each running your own version, with your own clock and stuff
>-meaning that people still load and unload enemies as they approach them, and everything is not in sync. Coins, enemies, moving platforms, etc.
>you just see the other guy moving as he does in his game.

But some flags for game progress DO sync.
>when I grabbed a star, it immediately showed on my friend's star count
>he was immediately able to unlock the 1 star door for Whomp's Fortress
>same with bowser keys
>cap boxes would disappear for 3 sec and then appear as solid im map when someone stomped their switch elsewhere
Interesting one:
When one player drained the moat, me out in the moat did not see it drain. BUT I was able to swim into the vanish cap stage; the grate vanished. Before I did I saw the moat draining player walk out and run around in the water (his game moat was drained)
I got the vanish cap and when I exited the moat was drained.

This one was especially cool:
>when bowser's sub star was collected by one player, the water of Dire Dire Docks immediately receded before my eyes to grant access to Bowser in the Fire Sea.
>but when players went back into dire dire docks, bowser's sub was still there for some reason. And the poles were gone.
>we couldn't get the 8 red coins, so I had yoshi and luigi try to cooperate somehow to get someone to be able to get them
>I meanwhile cleared Bowser in the fire sea
>The instant I did, Bowser's sub vanished right under their feet and they went into the water. The poles did not reappear then, but did when I went into dire dire docks

Cool hack no joke.
Would however like to see more syncing somehow enabled. Like where the game says "ok these two guys are gonna be using the same map with the same enemies and loading stuff and everything.
>>
>>4252745
Would probably require a rewrite of how objects are loaded. The game already has a hard cap of how many can be loaded too so that could cause some issues.
>>
>>4252593
>Beyond that though you now realize why people call it a dated game. Because they fucking suck at it.
Yeah, people who struggle with SM64 must have neurological disorders. It's the only explanation.
>>
>>4252745
>we couldn't get the 8 red coins, so I had yoshi and luigi try to cooperate somehow to get someone to be able to get them
You have to clear Bowser in the Fire Sea to make the sub disappear.
>>
>>4252760
Is that right?
Hmm, must have never clicked
>>
>>4252053
Might be fun if they ever even try to make a slightly finished version. Cool concept though.
>>
>>4252424
>going on /v/
Your own fault. It's legit populated mostly by teenagers. Similiar to /tv/ but with less neckbeards because of the nature that is puberty.
>>
>>4253509
>he said slowly putting on his shades and taking out his vape
epic back handed remark, bro. You're so cool
>>
>>4252053
This looks and sounds fun although it really seems to be in the preliminary stages. Obviously full online support is a massive achievement, don't get me wrong, but it's clear that whoever made this still has his work cut out for him.
>>
>>4252053
How long till an eceleb makes this explode in popularity?
>>
>>4254294
That's always the question isn't it? Well from what I heard it was already on the front page of reddit, and the vid has 100s of thousands of views just a short while after going up.

Still it's not as easy as just buying something on steam with Daddy's money, I think there's a high enough barrier to into that e-celebs can't really do much.
>>
>>4254441
>>4254294
Yeah, this requires something that most of the eceleb's fanbase doesn't have...a computer.
>>
File: 1443243307310.jpg (27KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1443243307310.jpg
27KB, 400x300px
>>4252393
>Also does anyone have a "Best SM64 Romhacks" infograph? I know I've seen one floating around before and even thought I saved it but can't find it.
No one?
>>
Make it 256 players

4x better than the nintendo 64 version
>>
>>4254883
I'm checking the romhacks thread
>>
File: 1502071367058.jpg (2MB, 1860x4671px) Image search: [Google]
1502071367058.jpg
2MB, 1860x4671px
>>4254883
>>
This mod would be a great experiment for dynamic peer to peer.

The game has like X amount of maps. No one needs the exact movement of every other player, just the ones in the map they currently reside in.

Can't imagine how that would work though.
>>
>>4255551
Thank you very much!
>>
>>4252498
The canon camera still is busted though making a lot of stuff still pretty difficult
>>
>>4255551
>>4256053
It's missing Second Impact
>>
>>4255551
>green stars above 74
Ree
>>
File: 1299646902485.jpg (9KB, 251x217px) Image search: [Google]
1299646902485.jpg
9KB, 251x217px
>>4255551
I'm really not enjoying myself on any of these. It seems like the people that make SM64 hacks didn't learn anything from the original game. Like exactly why there aren't a lot of small structures in most levels for the camera to get stuck on, or why the trees are poles and sprites, not full models because that's just more geometry to get stuck on and annoyed by, how most routes usually have different ways of being tackled instead of requiring double/ triple jumps or side flips on narrow walk ways, or how most slopes mario slides down are usually started from the top, not the bottom.

Just going by the screenshots on the chart they all seem enamored with the idea of large sprawling levels with huge pillars to jump on and catwalks to cross, the sort of thing that was always a feature in many OG levels but far from the only dish served.

Most levels are designed as a homogeneous gauntlet, not a play field with an obvious central point of interest, which was ALWAYS present in older levels, be it a mountain, pyramid, haunted house, etc. Star Road is particularly bad, it's pretty but the author doesn't seem to understand Mario can have a hard time getting out of water. I've never been so enraged in all my years of playing this game as I was trying to jump out of the water in the first course. It's a petty challenge and needlessly obtuse.

Then there's shit like Green Stars and Missing Stars. They're frankly awful, flat, dull, and simple, far from "excellent". And Missing Stars even brags it can be played on an N64. No thanks, mine would probably spit it out the moment I slotted it in.

So what is it? Do I just suck? I can 120 SM64 in a day off but so can any kid who had it when it came out. Or are there really only shit romhacks for this game? I find this is case for lots of romhacks in general. The hacker wants to push the game's limits, when those limits are what made the games great in the first place.
>>
>>4257571
>Do I just suck?
Yeah, sounds like it. It was the final red flag for me when you said you had trouble jumping out of water.
>>
>>4257581
I know exactly what level he's talking about, I ran into the same problem. Getting out of water is not shown in the video, btw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKdWTWFL8aE
>>
>>4257581
The water controls suck, water is simply not this game's strong point never has been. Tt's not a problem I ever had in the original game, which very rarely puts the player in water with sheer walls around it just slightly too high to simple be hopped on to. In the same area I was having trouble there was a platform that consistently performed a downward while I was underwater, something that's pretty rare in the vanilla game and just another thing that wasn't smoothed out.

Of course I COULD get out of water, jump and then dive, but there's no reason it couldn't have been more smoothed out by the author. If I'm going to fall into it repeatedly while exploring the level it ought to be smoothed out to minimize frustration, I think. even it's just a slight annoyance, a slight annoyance that builds up over time becomes a major grievance.
>>
>>4257581
>>4257586
There's this clipping glitch where Mario can be pushed downwards in that area when trying to jump out of the water. I know exactly what he's talking about, and yes, it really is a huge problem.
>>
>>4253972
Did you work on the hack? Why are you so mad? You're implying someone else is a neckbeard, while defending a rom hack?

I'm sure you're a lot more alpha than him, you retarded faggot.
>>
>>4257593
>The water controls suck
They seem fine to me. You probably just suck.
>>
>>4258089
Water controls are suppose to suck since Mario isn't a fish, hes a human.
>>
>>4258094
Mario isn't a cheetah or a monkey either. Humans fucking suck at everything. What's your point?
>>
Anyone here want to host? I think an organized 120 with /vr/ would be a ton of fun.
>>
Can't fault it at this stage, really fucking cool. I just hope it's not a one-and-done deal and they actually fix the desync issues, would be great for each character to have a proper voice too.

>>4257571

I see what you're getting at, I particularly agree with the camera and collision issues which are present in EVERY hack and just seem to be an elephant everybody is happy to ignore. Star Road is the best on the list and I just hope the sequel isn't becoming DS-only as I've heard.
>>
>>4252053
Clunky as hell, for whatever reason you can't clear boss rooms together, and the camera seems to hate my very existence.

It's fun as shit. 10/10
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.